A serious questions for the Jehovah's Witnesses on these threads.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
How did this go from to a discussion about the cross to you asking for a defense of Easter? If we don’t celebrate Jesus’ resurrection why do we worship on Sunday? I don’t remember JWs having services on Saturdays. Do they? Why is the Resurrection So Important? | Cornerstone University
Ask @Dropship....the resurrection has dragged Easter into the conversation because it is supposedly the celebration of Jesus' resurrection. The thief was not resurrected, but Jesus was. His promice to the thief has not yet been fulfilled because the promised general resurrection of the dead will only take place once the Kingdom has "come" to ensure that God's will is "done on earth as it is in heaven".
We were never told to celebrate Christ's resurrection, but only his death was to be remembered because it was his death that paid for our release from sin and death. His resurrection, though a wonderful miracle, is in the same category as his human birth...a means to an end.

And I don't recall Jesus ever saying we needed to worship on what we call "Sunday"....that comes from the RCC where the sun worshippers always honored their sun god on his day. The Jewish Sabbath was on Saturday.

JW's do not have any specific days to worship.....it is a consensus in the individual congregations as to what is the best day and time for weekly worship. We have 5 meetings a week...3 are held consecutively, usually on a weekday evening...and the other 2 are held usually on a weekend, but not always, especially if the Kingdom Hall is shared by more than one congregation.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If JW's object to Dec 25th as 'pagan' why don't they simply choose another date, then they can celebrate Jesus's birth like the rest of us?
Since Jesus was Jewish, and Jews did not celebrate birthdays, Jesus would not have celebrated his own birthday.....who told you we had to?
Same with Easter, they can pick any date to celebrate Jesus's resurrection.
Again why would we want to unless commanded by God to do so?
After the fiasco of the golden calf incident, God never allowed Israel to celebrate any festival of their own making again. God told them what festival to hold and he supplied every detail about the date and the proceedings, so that they would not start incorporating pagan customs into God's worship....sadly they did not listen, and paganism inevitably crept in, forcing Jehovah to punish his people, who then repented.....but only till they slid into religious error again.
At the moment they celebrate neither and I'm sure satan is delighted..:)
Don't look now, but I believe the devil is delighted with the pagan practices you all hold so dearly.....they are all from him....gotcha.

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ask @Dropship....the resurrection has dragged Easter into the conversation because it is supposedly the celebration of Jesus' resurrection. The thief was not resurrected, but Jesus was. His promice to the thief has not yet been fulfilled because the promised general resurrection of the dead will only take place once the Kingdom has "come" to ensure that God's will is "done on earth as it is in heaven".
We were never told to celebrate Christ's resurrection, but only his death was to be remembered because it was his death that paid for our release from sin and death. His resurrection, though a wonderful miracle, is in the same category as his human birth...a means to an end.

And I don't recall Jesus ever saying we needed to worship on what we call "Sunday"....that comes from the RCC where the sun worshippers always honored their sun god on his day. The Jewish Sabbath was on Saturday.

JW's do not have any specific days to worship.....it is a consensus in the individual congregations as to what is the best day and time for weekly worship. We have 5 meetings a week...3 are held consecutively, usually on a weekday evening...and the other 2 are held usually on a weekend, but not always, especially if the Kingdom Hall is shared by more than one congregation.
And you are free to do so, where I disagree is you would have everyone else do the same thing and you have Jesus lying to the thief on the cross to fit your beliefs. If you don’t meet on Sundays someone needs to tell Wikipedia and the Kingdom Hall that I visited. Maybe it was because the 14th of Nisan happened to be on a Sunday.

Weekend meeting​

The weekend meeting, usually held on Sunday, comprises a 30-minute public talk by a congregation elder or ministerial servant[19] and a one-hour question-and-answer study of a Bible-based article from The Watchtowermagazine,[11] with questions prepared by the Watch Tower Society and the answers provided in the magazine.[20]Members may use their own words to express the ideas in the printed material,[21] though personal ideas derived from independent study are discouraged

Last edited:
Reactions: Dropship

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We were never told to celebrate Christ's resurrection
Most people don’t have to be told to celebrate. It comes naturally as a joyful and enthusiastic way of living.

I look for every little excuse to celebrate every moment. It’s preposterous to hold back celebrating THE GREATEST EVENT IN HUMAN HISTORY.

Reactions: Dropship and RLT63

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Ask @Dropship...The thief was not resurrected, but Jesus was.

And I don't recall Jesus ever saying we needed to worship on what we call "Sunday"...
JW's do not have any specific days to worship.....it is a consensus in the individual congregations as to what is the best day and time for weekly worship.

1- Jesus said to the thief on the cross- "Today you'll be with me in paradise", that seems clear enough to moi..:)

2- I agree with the JW's that the 'sabbath' can be any day of the week.

Personally I like the JW's easy-going simplified approach to things and some of their women in youtube vids are quite dishy, but sadly most of their beliefs are generally too extreme for me..:)

Reactions: RLT63

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Don't look now, but I believe the devil is delighted with the pagan practices you all hold so dearly.....they are all from him....gotcha.

If pagans strutted their stuff on Dec 25th and at easter, so what?
Christianity TOOK OVER those dates and thereby over-wrote, trashed and stamped out the pagan customs that went before, so paganism has no hold on us, we run the show now..:)
Hey Captain, should we celebrate Christmas?

"Make it so"
rel-Star_Trek_generations_zpsc5bc495d.jpg

As for Easter, Christians grabbed it from the Kate Bush lookalike pagan goddess Oestre, she means nothing to us..:)

rel-oestre.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: The Learner

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How did this go from to a discussion about the cross to you asking for a defense of Easter?
Good question.
The thief was not resurrected, but Jesus was.
Bad response. She cannot see her reasoning is faulty. Tripped up by all her 'knowledge, ' methinks.

CROSS --> EASTER --> THIEF NOT BEING RESURRECTED

Rather than concede anything, just go from subject to subject. My. My.

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good question.

Bad response. She cannot see her reasoning is faulty. Tripped up by all her 'knowledge, ' methinks.

CROSS --> EASTER --> THIEF NOT BEING RESURRECTED

Rather than concede anything, just go from subject to subject. My. My.
I think it’s called a Gish Gallup

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is addressed here:

Yet, the WTS know nothing of what is in there.
I have done several adult sunday school classes on the origins of teh Christmas tree, why we should not fear having one and how we can use each component of putting it in our house and decorated as a way to honor the Lord.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
1- Jesus said to the thief on the cross- "Today you'll be with me in paradise", that seems clear enough to moi..:)
It’s clear if you accept the placement of the comma.....since there was no punctuation in Greek, the placement of that little comma changes the entire meaning of what Jesus told the thief. You can believe whatever you like.....but there is only one truth. Jesus was in his grave for three days as he said....so Jesus didn’t go anywhere “that day”. The thief was not promised “heaven”...he was promised “paradise”. Jesus promised him a resurrection, because he was one who had done vile things. (John 5:28-29)
2- I agree with the JW's that the 'sabbath' can be any day of the week.
We don’t observe a Sabbath as it was only incumbent upon Jews and Jewish proselytes.
Christians were not commanded to observe a Sabbath. We can worship God any day of the week....every day of the week if we want to.
Personally I like the JW's easy-going simplified approach to things and some of their women in youtube vids are quite dishy, but sadly most of their beliefs are generally too extreme for me..:)
It’s amazing to me that the “extreme” views held by Christendom go completely unnoticed. Could that be because these were added so long ago that most conclude that they have always been there?....Christendom’s cherished core beliefs were not taught by Christ at all.....but were added over the early centuries when an apostasy was foretold by Jesus and his apostles, yet that doesn’t seem to bother anyone.....like it never happened.......It did. The fact that most don’t believe it, is simply history repeating.
If pagans strutted their stuff on Dec 25th and at easter, so what?
2 Corinthians 6:14-18.....there was to be “no sharing” of pagan religious beliefs with genuine Christianity....”touch nothing unclean” in God’s eyes. Are you all sleeping with God’s enemy?
What’s the pay-off.....? There is always a pay-off that feeds the justification.
Christianity TOOK OVER those dates and thereby over-wrote, trashed and stamped out the pagan customs that went before, so paganism has no hold on us, we run the show now..:)
Hey Captain, should we celebrate Christmas?
Sometimes your responses, like this one and the one quoted above, betray a childish approach to something that is actually very serious. Christianity experienced the same corruption that undermined Judaism.....Jesus said it was coming......the adoption of man-made ideas that supplanted scripture and skewed it to suggest something else. (Matt 15:7-9) This invalidated their worship. History repeating again.
As for Easter, Christians grabbed it from the Kate Bush lookalike pagan goddess Oestre, she means nothing to us..:)
She is alive and well and living in every household that honours her.....same name, same customs, same emblems, same false worship under a different name. “A rose by any other name” is still a rose.

But no matter what is brought to the attention of those who love their “holy days” nothing seem to penetrate the justification......tell it to the judge. No one has to justify themselves to me....

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s clear if you accept the placement of the comma.....since there was no punctuation in Greek, the placement of that little comma changes the entire meaning of what Jesus told the thief. You can believe whatever you like.....but there is only one truth. Jesus was in his grave for three days as he said....so Jesus didn’t go anywhere “that day”. The thief was not promised “heaven”...he was promised “paradise”. Jesus promised him a resurrection, because he was one who had done vile things. (John 5:28-29)

We don’t observe a Sabbath as it was only incumbent upon Jews and Jewish proselytes.
Christians were not commanded to observe a Sabbath. We can worship God any day of the week....every day of the week if we want to.

It’s amazing to me that the “extreme” views held by Christendom go completely unnoticed. Could that be because these were added so long ago that most conclude that they have always been there?....Christendom’s cherished core beliefs were not taught by Christ at all.....but were added over the early centuries when an apostasy was foretold by Jesus and his apostles, yet that doesn’t seem to bother anyone.....like it never happened.......It did. The fact that most don’t believe it, is simply history repeating.

2 Corinthians 6:14-18.....there was to be “no sharing” of pagan religious beliefs with genuine Christianity....”touch nothing unclean” in God’s eyes. Are you all sleeping with God’s enemy?
What’s the pay-off.....? There is always a pay-off that feeds the justification.

Sometimes your responses, like this one and the one quoted above, betray a childish approach to something that is actually very serious. Christianity experienced the same corruption that undermined Judaism.....Jesus said it was coming......the adoption of man-made ideas that supplanted scripture and skewed it to suggest something else. (Matt 15:7-9) This invalidated their worship. History repeating again.

She is alive and well and living in every household that honours her.....same name, same customs, same emblems, same false worship under a different name. “A rose by any other name” is still a rose.

But no matter what is brought to the attention of those who love their “holy days” nothing seem to penetrate the justification......tell it to the judge. No one has to justify themselves to me....
Unchecked Copy Box
1Pe 3:18 - For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God,being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
Unchecked Copy Box
1Pe 3:19 - By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
Unchecked Copy Box
1Pe 3:20 - Which sometime were disobedient, when once the long suffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.//////. When did Christ preach to these spirits in prison? And where is paradise? 2Co 12:4 - How that he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter. Rev 2:7 - He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches;To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God

Last edited:
Reactions: The Learner

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Unchecked Copy Box
1Pe 3:18 - For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God,being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
Unchecked Copy Box
KJV again? "Quickened by the spirit" seriously? What on earth does that mean in this 21st century?

Strongs defines "quickened"...."zōopoieō " as follows....
STRONGS G2227:
ζωοποιέω; -ῶ; future ζωοποιήσω; 1 aorist infinitive ζωοποιῆσαι; passive, present ζωοποιοῦμαι; 1 future ζωοποιηθήσομαι; 1 aorist participle ζωοποιηθείς; (ζωοποιός making alive);
1. to produce alive, beget or bear living young, (Aristotle, Theophrastus).
2. to cause to live, make alive, give life: τὰ πάντα, of God, 1 Timothy 6:13 R G [cf. Nehemiah 9:6; 2 Kings 5:7; Diognetus, epistle 5 at the end]; by spiritual power to arouse and invigorate, 2 Corinthians 3:6; Galatians 3:21; to give ζωὴ αἰώνιος (in the Johannean sense), John 6:63; of the dead, to reanimate, restore to life:"

Jesus could not have his life "restored" unless he was not alive. Christ died....the soul that was Jesus the human was put to death.....the very opposite of life. That then made it possible for God to restore his life once it was offered for mankind as a ransom. God did not give Jesus back his physical body, taking back the sacrifice.....because he was going to return to heaven where he was before, in spirit form. Flesh and blood cannot exist in heaven.

Jesus was "put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit"...the very thing that was promised also to his elect.
1 Peter 3 : 18 King James Version (KJV)
1Pe 3:19 - By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
Unchecked Copy Box
1Pe 3:20 - Which sometime were disobedient, when once the long suffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.//////. When did Christ preach to these spirits in prison?
In context.....and plain English.....
"For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit, 19 in which he went and proclaimed to the spirits in prison, 20 because they formerly did not obey, when God's patience waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through water."

After his resurrection as a spirit being, Jesus went to the place where the disobedient angels (demons) are kept under restraint, no longer able to materialize as those rebel angels did in Noah's day. They are kept in complete spiritual darkness, as if they were in chains in an actual prison.

The "spirits in prison" were not former humans because there is no immortal soul that leaves the body at death....and therefore no "holding place" in which to keep them. The Bible contains no such teaching. The dead are all still "sleeping" in their graves, except the elect, who have been resurrected during these "last days" or "the time of the end" as Daniel called it, when "knowledge would become abundant". (Daniel 12:4)

The Master returned in the same manner as the world saw him leave......unnoticed except by his closest disciples.....leaving them with a series of world events that would identify the time of his "presence" (Matthew 24:3-14).....and he fulfilled his promise to take them "home" to be with him "in his Father's house". Those of the elect who die now have no need to sleep in death and are taken directly to their assignment, as Paul said....

"But we do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about those who are asleep, that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope. 14 For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so, through Jesus, God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep. 15 For this we declare to you by a word from the Lord, that we who are alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep. 16 For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord." (1 Thess 4:13-17)

The time frame is clear....the "first resurrection" (Rev 20:6) was not to take place until Christ's return. He is already here, "separating the sheep from the goats".....but the time for his final judgment is very close. We will have already shown him where we stand and there will be no excuses or backpedaling accepted. (Matthew 7:21-23)

Last edited:

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
KJV again? "Quickened by the spirit" seriously? What on earth does that mean in this 21st century?

Strongs defines "quickened"...."zōopoieō " as follows....
STRONGS G2227:
ζωοποιέω; -ῶ; future ζωοποιήσω; 1 aorist infinitive ζωοποιῆσαι; passive, present ζωοποιοῦμαι; 1 future ζωοποιηθήσομαι; 1 aorist participle ζωοποιηθείς; (ζωοποιός making alive);
1. to produce alive, beget or bear living young, (Aristotle, Theophrastus).
2. to cause to live, make alive, give life: τὰ πάντα, of God, 1 Timothy 6:13 R G [cf. Nehemiah 9:6; 2 Kings 5:7; Diognetus, epistle 5 at the end]; by spiritual power to arouse and invigorate, 2 Corinthians 3:6; Galatians 3:21; to give ζωὴ αἰώνιος (in the Johannean sense), John 6:63; of the dead, to reanimate, restore to life:"

Jesus could not have his life "restored" unless he was not alive. Christ died....the soul that was Jesus the human was put to death.....the very opposite of life. That then made it possible for God to restore his life once it was offered for mankind as a ransom. God did not give Jesus back his physical body, taking back the sacrifice.....because he was going to return to heaven where he was before, in spirit form. Flesh and blood cannot exist in heaven.

Jesus was "put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit...the very thing that was promised also to his elect.
1 Peter 3 :: King James Version (KJV)

In context.....and plain English.....
"For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit, 19 in which he went and proclaimed to the spirits in prison, 20 because they formerly did not obey, when God's patience waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through water."

After his resurrection as a spirit being, Jesus went to the place where the disobedient angels (demons) are kept under restraint, no longer able to materialize as those rebel angels did in Noah's day. They are kept in complete spiritual darkness, as if they were in chains in an actual prison.

The "spirits in prison" were not former humans because there is no immortal soul that leaves the body at death....and therefore no "holding place" in which to keep them. The Bible contains no such teaching. The dead are all still "sleeping" in their graves, except the elect, who have been resurrected during these "last days" or "the time of the end" as Daniel called it, when "knowledge would become abundant". (Daniel 12:4)

The Master returned in the same manner as the world saw him leave......unnoticed except by his closest disciples.....leaving them with a series of world events that would identify his the time of his "presence" (Matthew 24:3-14).....and he fulfilled his promise to take them "home" to be with him "in his Father's house". Those of the elect who die now have no need to sleep in death and are taken directly to their assignment, as Paul said....

"But we do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about those who are asleep, that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope. 14 For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so, through Jesus, God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep. 15 For this we declare to you by a word from the Lord, that we who are alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep. 16 For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord." (1 Thess 4:13-17)

The time frame is clear....the "first resurrection" (Rev 20:6) was not to take place until Christ's return. He is already here, "separating the sheep from the goats".....but the time for his final judgment is very close. We will have already shown him where we stand and there will be no excuses or backpedaling accepted. (Matthew 7:21-23)
Nice dodge. Where is Paradise? And how does a spirit have wounds?
Jhn 20:27 - Then saith heto Thomas, Reach hither thy finger and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless ,but believing.
Tools
Unchecked Copy Box
Jhn 20:28 - And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God. ///// in case you can’t understand the KJV —-
Jhn 20:27 - Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here, and look at my hands. Put your hand into the wound in my side. Don’t be faithless any longer. Believe!”
Tools
Unchecked Copy Box
Jhn 20:28 - “My Lord and my God!” Thomas exclaimed

Last edited:

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Nice dodge.
What did I dodge?
Where is Paradise?
The first paradise was right here on earth where God put human kind in the first place. Earth was not a training ground for heaven...it was designed to be our permanent home. (Psalm 37:11, 29)

What was God's reaction to Adam's sin?

Gen 3:22-24...in plain English....
"Then the Lord God said, “Behold, the man has become like one of us in knowing good and evil. Now, lest he reach out his hand and take also of the tree of life and eat, and live forever—” 23 therefore the Lord God sent him out from the garden of Eden to work the ground from which he was taken. 24 He drove out the man, and at the east of the garden of Eden he placed the cherubim and a flaming sword that turned every way to guard the way to the tree of life." (ESV)

No access to the "tree of life" meant death. If they had eaten that fruit (against which there was no prohibition) they would have lived forever on earth in their mortal flesh. "Mortal" does not mean that a human has to die....only that he can....and only if he disobeys his Sovereign.
And how does a spirit have wounds?
The Bible clearly says that Christ was "put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit"......How does a spirit have flesh? How did angels appear to God's ancient servants in a body of flesh?
The angels who delivered messages to Abraham and Sarah were men of flesh, who ate and drank like any other human.
Two of the angels went on to Sodom to rescue Lot because God was about to wipe Sodom and Gomorrah off the map. They too took a meal provided by their host. How do spirits eat and drink?

Gabriel appeared to both Daniel and Mary as a man, not an invisible spirit. It was forbidden in God's Law to communicate with spirits because of the demons who could masquerade as the spirit of the dead. (Deut 18:9-12) What do you think spirit mediums are?

Spirit beings can obviously materialize.....they can do things that creatures of flesh cannot.
Jesus simply materialized bodies of flesh. People did not always recognize him. When he appeared in a locked room his disciples only discerned that it was Jesus by the way he broke the bread, after which he simply vanished. Read Luke ch 24.....

In the three and a half years of his ministry, Jesus and his apostles were constant companions, but after his resurrection it is said that Jesus only "appeared" to them.....he did not dwell with them. As a spirit he had no need to dwell in the flesh for long.....why would he?
Jhn 20:27 - Then saith heto Thomas, Reach hither thy finger and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless ,but believing.
Tools
Unchecked Copy Box
Jhn 20:28 - And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God. ///// in case you can’t understand the KJV —-
Jhn 20:27 - Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here, and look at my hands. Put your hand into the wound in my side. Don’t be faithless any longer. Believe!”
Tools
Unchecked Copy Box
Jhn 20:28 - “My Lord and my God!” Thomas exclaimed
Thank you for translating the translation....:ummm:

An exclamation from a doubting Thomas does not form the basis of a doctrine. He was not acknowledging Jesus as Jehovah. Collectively the apostles acknowledged only "one God, the Father. (1 Cor 8:5-6)

Strange how it was only to convince a doubter that he "appeared" with wounds.....at no other time were his wounds visible or they would have been obvious. Jesus was severely mistreated before his execution. Would God have raised his son with the wounds of his beating and execution still visible, if he had the means to heal him? Didn't Jesus completely heal those who were sick and crippled? Didn't Jesus raise his friend Lazarus from his tomb? After 4 days, his sister said that he had probably begun to decompose, but Jesus raised him to life in a completely healthy body.

It amazes me how superficial people's knowledge can be when they only want to believe what they want to believe....If you use the whole Bible to answer your questions...they answer themselves.

Adventageous

Oct 28, 2022
Noneya
archive.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If only the WTS took interest in the words (as in the words of God), and meaning, they might understand their many errors:

"quicken (v.)
c. 1300, quikenen, "come to life, receive life," also transitive, "give life to," also "return to life from the dead;" see quick (adj.) + -en (1). The earlier verb was simply quick (c. 1200, from late Old English gecwician, and compare Old Norse kvikna).​
The sense of "hasten, accelerate, impart speed to" is from 1620s. The intransitive meaning "become faster or more active" is by 1805. Also, of a woman, "enter that state of pregnancy in which the child gives indications of life;" of a child, "begin to manifest signs of life in the womb" (usually about the 18th week of pregnancy); probably originally in reference to the child but reversed and also used of the mother. Related: Quickened; quickening." - quicken | Etymology, origin and meaning of quicken by etymonline
"quick (adj.)
Middle English quik, from Old English cwic "living, alive, animate, characterized by the presence of life" (now archaic), and figuratively, of mental qualities, "rapid, ready," from Proto-Germanic *kwikwaz (source also of Old Saxon and Old Frisian quik, Old Norse kvikr "living, alive," Dutch kwik "lively, bright, sprightly," Old High German quec "lively," German keck "bold"), from PIE root *gwei- "to live." Sense of "lively, active, swift, speedy, hasty," developed by c. 1300, on notion of "full of life."​
NE swift or the now more common fast may apply to rapid motion of any duration, while in quick (in accordance with its original sense of 'live, lively') there is a notion of 'sudden' or 'soon over.' We speak of a fast horse or runner in a race, a quick starter but not a quick horse. A somewhat similar feeling may distinguish NHG schnell and rasch or it may be more a matter of local preference. [Carl Darling Buck, "A Dictionary of Selected Synonyms in the Principal Indo-European Languages," 1949]​
Of persons, "mentally active, prompt to perceive or respond to impressions" from late 15c. Of an action, process, etc., "done in little time," 1540s. Also in Middle English used of soft soils, gravel pits, etc. where the ground is shifting and yielding (mid-14c., compare quicksand). Also in Middle English "with child, in an advanced state of pregnancy" (when the woman can feel the child move within). Also formerly of bright flowers or colors (c. 1200).​
As an adverb, "quickly, in a quick manner," from c. 1300. To be quick about something is from 1937. Quick buck is from 1946, American English. Quick-change artist (1886) originally was an actor expert in playing different roles in the same performance of a show. Quick-witted is from 1520s.​
quick (n.)
"living persons," Old English cwic, from quick (adj.). Frequently paired with the dead, from phrasing in the Nicene and Apostles' creeds, as in Middle English þan cwike and þa deaden, Old English cwicum & deadum. The quick "tender part of the flesh" (under a nail, etc.) is from late 14c. (quick (adj.) in the extended sense of "sensitive to pain" is from c. 1200); the figurative use of it, in touch (someone) to the quick is from 1520s."" - quick | Etymology, origin and meaning of quick by etymonline
It's still used in modern English in 2023.

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What did I dodge?

The first paradise was right here on earth where God put human kind in the first place. Earth was not a training ground for heaven...it was designed to be our permanent home. (Psalm 37:11, 29)

What was God's reaction to Adam's sin?

Gen 3:22-24...in plain English....
"Then the Lord God said, “Behold, the man has become like one of us in knowing good and evil. Now, lest he reach out his hand and take also of the tree of life and eat, and live forever—” 23 therefore the Lord God sent him out from the garden of Eden to work the ground from which he was taken. 24 He drove out the man, and at the east of the garden of Eden he placed the cherubim and a flaming sword that turned every way to guard the way to the tree of life." (ESV)

No access to the "tree of life" meant death. If they had eaten that fruit (against which there was no prohibition) they would have lived forever on earth in their mortal flesh. "Mortal" does not mean that a human has to die....only that he can....and only if he disobeys his Sovereign.

The Bible clearly says that Christ was "put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit"......How does a spirit have flesh? How did angels appear to God's ancient servants in a body of flesh?
The angels who delivered messages to Abraham and Sarah were men of flesh, who ate and drank like any other human.
Two of the angels went on to Sodom to rescue Lot because God was about to wipe Sodom and Gomorrah off the map. They too took a meal provided by their host. How do spirits eat and drink?

Gabriel appeared to both Daniel and Mary as a man, not an invisible spirit. It was forbidden in God's Law to communicate with spirits because of the demons who could masquerade as the spirit of the dead. (Deut 18:9-12) What do you think spirit mediums are?

Spirit beings can obviously materialize.....they can do things that creatures of flesh cannot.
Jesus simply materialized bodies of flesh. People did not always recognize him. When he appeared in a locked room his disciples only discerned that it was Jesus by the way he broke the bread, after which he simply vanished. Read Luke ch 24.....

In the three and a half years of his ministry, Jesus and his apostles were constant companions, but after his resurrection it is said that Jesus only "appeared" to them.....he did not dwell with them. As a spirit he had no need to dwell in the flesh for long.....why would he?

Thank you for translating the translation....:ummm:

An exclamation from a doubting Thomas does not form the basis of a doctrine. He was not acknowledging Jesus as Jehovah. Collectively the apostles acknowledged only "one God, the Father. (1 Cor 8:5-6)

Strange how it was only to convince a doubter that he "appeared" with wounds.....at no other time were his wounds visible or they would have been obvious. Jesus was severely mistreated before his execution. Would God have raised his son with the wounds of his beating and execution still visible, if he had the means to heal him? Didn't Jesus completely heal those who were sick and crippled? Didn't Jesus raise his friend Lazarus from his tomb? After 4 days, his sister said that he had probably begun to decompose, but Jesus raised him to life in a completely healthy body.

It amazes me how superficial people's knowledge can be when they only want to believe what they want to believe....If you use the whole Bible to answer your questions...they answer themselves.
It was you who said the thief was told he would be in paradise not heaven.
2Co 12:2 - I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago—whether in the body I do not know, or whether out of the body I do not know, God knows—such a one was caught up to the third heaven.
Tools
Unchecked Copy Box
2Co 12:3 - And I know such a man—whether in the body or out of the body I do not know, God knows—
Tools
Unchecked Copy Box
2Co 12:4 - how he was caught up into Paradise and heard inexpressible words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter////// they are used interchangeably here. And the Bible doesn’t say Jesus was raised as a spirit but that he was made alive by the Spirit——1Pe 3:18 - For Christ also suffered once for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us[fn] to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive by the Spirit, Was Jesus Raised Bodily from the Dead? It amazes me how arrogant some people can be and at the same time be so wrong.

Last edited:

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Christendom’s cherished core beliefs were not taught by Christ at all..

2 Corinthians 6:14-18.....there was to be “no sharing” of pagan religious beliefs with genuine Christianity...

Sometimes your responses, like this one and the one quoted above, betray a childish approach to something that is actually very serious.

She is alive and well and living in every household that honours her...

1- Setting aside one day of the week to chill and recharge our spiritual batteries is so important that it's one of the 10 Commandments, and Jesus said he never came to overthrow the Law..:)

2- Which of christendom's core beliefs were not taught by Jesus?

3- I don't know any Christian who shares pagan beliefs..:)

4- Me childish? Thanks for the compliment..:)
Jesus said- "Become as little children" (Matt 18:3)
Jesus said:- "I thank you Father for hiding these things from the wise and learned,and for revealing them to little children"(Matt 11:25-27)
Paul said-"Be childlike against evil but adult in your thinking" (1 Cor 14:20)

5- The pagan goddess Oestre doesn't exist as far as I know and hasn't come knocking my door, but if she does I might ask her in for a cup of tea and we can watch a Star Trek video together..:)
PS- A witch in a chatroom once told me she was summoning up the egyptian goddess Sekhmet to come and deal with me; I put the kettle on but she never turned up. Hey guys don't you just hate getting stood up by goddesses?

Reactions: Keturah and RLT63

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Explain this:

"... Or is there flavor in the juice of a mallow?" (Job 6:6 NWTb)​
as opposed to:​
"... or is there any taste in the white of an egg?" (Job 6:6 KJB)​
Part 1 or 2

Most translations use the word egg. I guess you just proved another instance of KJ being inaccurate.

KJ21
Can that which is unsavory be eaten without salt? Or is there any taste in the white of an egg?
ASV
Can that which hath no savor be eaten without salt? Or is there any taste in the white of an egg?
AMP
“Can something that has no taste to it be eaten without salt? Or is there any flavor in the white of an egg?
AMPC
Can that which has no taste to it be eaten without salt? Or is there any flavor in the white of an egg?
BRG
Can that which is unsavoury be eaten without salt? or is there any taste in the white of an egg?
CSB
Is bland food eaten without salt? Is there flavor in an egg white?
CEB
Is tasteless food eaten without salt, or does egg white have taste?
CJB
Can food without flavor be eaten without salt? Do egg whites have any taste?
CEV
What is food without salt? What is more tasteless than the white of an egg?
DARBY
Shall that which is insipid be eaten without salt? Is there any taste in the white of an egg?
DRA
Or can an unsavoury thing be eaten, that is not seasoned with salt? or can a man taste that which when tasted bringeth death?
ERV
Food without salt does not taste good, and the white of an egg has no taste.
EHV
Is tasteless food eaten without salt? Is there flavor in the white of an egg?
ESV
Can that which is tasteless be eaten without salt, or is there any taste in the juice of the mallow?
ESVUK
Can that which is tasteless be eaten without salt, or is there any taste in the juice of the mallow?
EXB
·Tasteless food is not [L Would tasteless food be…?] eaten without salt, and ·there is no [L is there…?] flavor in the ·white of an egg [orjuice of a weed; C Job’s “food” (his lot in life) is inedible].
GNV
That which is unsavory, shall it be eaten without salt? or is there any taste in the white of an egg?
GW
Is tasteless food eaten without salt, or is there any flavor in the white of an egg?
GNT
But who can eat flat, unsalted food? What taste is there in the white of an egg?
HCSB
Is bland food eaten without salt? Is there flavor in an egg white?
ICB
Tasteless food is not eaten without salt. There is no flavor in the white part of an egg.
ISV
Tasteless food isn’t eaten without salt, is it? Is there any taste in an egg white?
JUB
Can that which is unsavoury be eaten without salt? Or is there any taste in the white of an egg?
KJV
Can that which is unsavoury be eaten without salt? or is there any taste in the white of an egg?
AKJV
LSB
Can something tasteless be eaten without salt, Or is there any taste in the slime of a yolk?
LEB
Can tasteless food be eaten without salt, or is there taste in the white of a marshmallow plant?
TLB
When wild donkeys bray, it is because their grass is gone; oxen do not low when they have food; a man complains when there is no salt in his food. And how tasteless is the uncooked white of an egg—my appetite is gone when I look at it; I gag at the thought of eating it!
MSG
Job answered: “If my misery could be weighed, if you could pile the whole bitter load on the scales, It would be heavier than all the sand of the sea! Is it any wonder that I’m howling like a caged cat? The arrows of God Almighty are in me, poison arrows—and I’m poisoned all through! God has dumped the whole works on me. Donkeys bray and cows moo when they run out of pasture— so don’t expect me to keep quiet in this. Do you see what God has dished out for me? It’s enough to turn anyone’s stomach! Everything in me is repulsed by it— it makes me sick.
MEV
Is tasteless food eaten without salt? Or is there any taste in the white of an egg?
NOG
Is tasteless food eaten without salt, or is there any flavor in the white of an egg?
NABRE