A Test For Intellectuals

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bigape

May 22, 2008
As time passes, it becomes more clear, that “intellectual pride”, is becoming a big problem with many of today’s professing Christians.

And the first symptom of this problem is a “love of wisdom”.
Now before you jump in telling me how truly good this is, lets see what God has to say about it.........
Colossians 2:8
“Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.”

This word “philosophy” laterally means, a “love of wisdom”, and this isn’t necessarily a good thing.
--------------------------------------------------
Now don’t get me wrong, wisdom is a good thing........
Proverbs 1:7
“The fear of the LORD [is] the beginning of knowledge: [but] fools despise wisdom and instruction.”

But when we lift it above God’s Word, it’s a trap.
I have said all of this, because there is a simple test, to determine if any of us are getting “too smart”, for our own Good.

The test involves God’s Word.......and what we think about it.
(1) Do you believe the human race started off with two real people named Adam & Eve?

(2) Do you believe that God brought a world wide flood, killing everything that breathed air, that wasn’t in the ark?

(3) Do you believe that the ark actually housed an example of every animal of Noah’s time?

(4) Do you believe Job was a real person, that God actually tested?

(5) Do you believe that God parted the Red Sea, and that God’s people crossed on dry ground?

(6) Do you believe that Jonah was actually swallowed by a big fish and lived 72 hours in the fish’s belly?

(7) Do you believe Jesus was actually born of a virgin?
If you answer “No”, to any of these questions(except for maybe #3), you have become “too smart”.

Strangelove

Aug 29, 2010
Great post bigape.

Totally agree.

Theres nothing wrong with philosophy if you remember its limits. We are thinkers. God gave us an active mind to muse with.

The problem comes when Christians allow philosophy to determine doctrine instead of the simple Word of God. = Thosophy.

Theosophy is the enemy of the Bible.

If I ask a Biblical question and someone advises me to read a theosophical book then thats an immediate red flag.

Everything we need is in the Word.

P.S. Can anyone tell me how to add pictures to my posts. When I try to "insert image" and link to a pic on the web it says I cant. Any ideas?

Simpleman

Aug 27, 2010
I’ve had these questions ask of me in many times, in the end its about faith. Was Job real - Yes. For the intellectual who’s always trying to rationalize everything they need to keep in mind faith is not the gift of all men.

Mercy777

Sep 13, 2010
As time passes, it becomes more clear, that “intellectual pride”, is becoming a big problem with many of today’s professing Christians.

And the first symptom of this problem is a “love of wisdom”.
Now before you jump in telling me how truly good this is, lets see what God has to say about it.........
Colossians 2:8
“Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.”

This word “philosophy” laterally means, a “love of wisdom”, and this isn’t necessarily a good thing.
Now don’t get me wrong, wisdom is a good thing........
Proverbs 1:7
“The fear of the LORD [is] the beginning of knowledge: [but] fools despise wisdom and instruction.”

But when we lift it above God’s Word, it’s a trap.
I have said all of this, because there is a simple test, to determine if any of us are getting “too smart”, for our own Good.

The test involves God’s Word.......and what we think about it.
(1) Do you believe the human race started off with two real people named Adam & Eve? The Creator creating the creation for His Glory. Yes.

(2) Do you believe that God brought a world wide flood, killing everything that breathed air, that wasn’t in the ark? Baptizing the world with water cleasing it from evil. Yes.

(3) Do you believe that the ark actually housed an example of every animal of Noah’s time? Every animal God had made to replendish the earth. Yes.

(4) Do you believe Job was a real person, that God actually tested? True example of all the generations of the creation being tested by God, those who believe and persevere, rewarded. Yes.

(5) Do you believe that God parted the Red Sea, and that God’s people crossed on dry ground? God's saving grace while we are in bondage. Yes.

(6) Do you believe that Jonah was actually swallowed by a big fish and lived 72 hours in the fish’s belly? Sin swallowed up, Jesus in the belly of the earth, spit out, victory by His resurrection. Yes.

(7) Do you believe Jesus was actually born of a virgin? Jesus, Holy. Life giving Spirit. Yes.
If you answer “No”, to any of these questions(except for maybe #3), you have become “too smart”.
Amen! The simplicity for the dumb sheep. No disrespect. Spiritual and literal-all done by God.

God bless,
Mercy