A Test Of Reading Comprehension and Honesty

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please read the Bible verses and then answer the multiple choice questions.

Question: What did Jesus say in Mark 16:15-16?

Mark 16:15-16,
-And He said to them, Go into all the world and preach the GOSPEL to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.

Did Jesus say?

a) he that does not believe and is not baptized will be saved...
b) he that believes and is saved will then be baptized...
c) he that believes and is baptized will be saved...
d) he that does not believe but is baptized will be saved....

If you answered a)
Incorrect
You might be a Muslim or Jew or atheist for they believe no one is saved by Jesus.

If you answered a)
Incorrect
You might be a universalist because everyone is going to heaven despite what one believes.

If you answered b)
Incorrect
You might be a follower of the reformed, protestant doctrines of the 15th to 16th century i.e. Faith Onlyism.

If you answered d)
Incorrect
You might be a catholic for babies do not believe yet are baptized to be saved.

If you answered c)
Correct
You might be an alien sinner who is searching for the truth.

If you answered c)
Correct
You might be a Bible believing christian.

If you failed this test, you either need help with comprehension, or you may have been indoctrinated into false doctrines conceived from blind men.

Those with honest hearts and basic English comprehension skills will answer c)

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He that believeth will be SAVED, but he WHO DOES NOT believe will be CONDEMNED!

Baptism is a witness of our own D,B,& R in Christ to fellow believers nothing else.

BELIEVING not baptism is the key to a relationship with God!

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He that believeth will be SAVED, but he WHO DOES NOT believe will be CONDEMNED!

Baptism is a witness of our own D,B,& R in Christ to fellow believers nothing else.

BELIEVING not baptism is the key to a relationship with God!
Incorrect Jesus said c) he that believeth and is baptized will be saved.
Thank you for taking the test

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You cannot interpret this passage in isolation. So what did Jesus say in John 11:25,26? Did He mention baptism? If not, why not, since He is always consistent? And I could send a host of passages your way to be interpreted in light of the whole Gospel.

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's go beyond the choices , are you saying anyone who was not baptized will be condemned to die the 2nd death ?
This is not what I am saying. This is a test of what Jesus said in Mark 16:15-16.
The choice answers given include the words that Jesus spoke, therefore the correct answer is given.
Failure to recognize the correct answer has multiple reasons.
1) Ignorance of basic English grammar.
2) Held beliefs from a specific denominational church, that reject Jesus' wording on salvation in Mark 16:15-16.
3) Indoctrination of a religions doctrine, that said individual prefers over plain Scripture.
4) Dishonest heart. Preference for lies rather than truth,
2Thessalonians 2:10-11,
-And with all unrighteous deception among those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
-And for this reason God will send them strong delusion, that they should believe the lie.

Last edited:

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You cannot interpret this passage in isolation. So what did Jesus say in John 11:25,26? Did He mention baptism? If not, why not, since He is always consistent? And I could send a host of passages your way to be interpreted in light of the whole Gospel.
This is not a test of interpretation.
This is a test of repeating the exact words of Jesus as the answer to the question.
Jesus' exact words are given as the correct answer among the multiple choice questions.

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I also gave you the exact words of Jesus. So stop playing this foolish game. No Scripture is to be taken in isolation and beaten to death.
Who's playing a game? This is a test of reading comprehension and honesty.
You are missing the purpose of the test.
This test is not about your interpretation of Mark 16:15-16 or my interpretation.
It is simply what did Jesus say in Mark 16:15-16.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Mark 16:15-16,
-And He said to them, Go into all the world and preach the GOSPEL to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.
He said NONE of the options provided.

First, your options completely disregard the 1st sentence of the verse. Obviously, you want to exclusively focus on the 2nd compound sentence. Sadly, you got wrong the only part you focused on, in that it is incomplete.

I’m too tired to recall what this sentence structure is called but ‘pregnant participle’ comes to mind, which is something less than an implication.

For the record, an implication is a necessary consequence of the set of circumstances - not merely a possible consequence. The structure is as follows.

A + B —> C. -A —> -C.

The above logic says nothing about the consequences of +A (alone) or +/-B (alone) consequences.

The options you provide assert something beyond what the text supports. Perhaps +A (alone) or may be saved. Perhaps +/-B (alone) may be saved. Both of these possibilities are in addition to the Option C you assert is the proper answer.

Therefore, it is only a possibility - not an implication, not a necessary consequence - that +A (alone) or +/-B (alone) will NOT be saved. It is more precise to say may or may NOT be saved.

That’s reading comprehension and honesty. As @Enoch111 said, ‘No Scripture is to be taken in isolation and beaten to death.’

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Nancy

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
This is not what I am saying. This is a test of what Jesus said in Mark 16:15-16.
The choice answers given include the words that Jesus spoke, therefore the correct answer is given.
Failure to recognize the correct answer has multiple reasons.
1) Ignorance of basic English grammar.
2) Held beliefs from a specific denominational church, that reject Jesus' wording on salvation in Mark 16:15-16.
3) Indoctrination of a religions doctrine, that said individual prefers over plain Scripture.
4) Dishonest heart. Preference for lies rather than truth,
2Thessalonians 2:10-11,
-And with all unrighteous deception among those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
-And for this reason God will send them strong delusion, that they should believe the lie.
So how do you explain the plain scripture of John 3:16 ?

Reactions: mailmandan

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He said NONE of the options provided
Incorrect, The correct answer is C v 16: He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned
C) Mark 16:15-16,
And Jesus said to them he who believes and is baptized will be saved. Look again at the multiple choice answers, C is the correct answer. It is a direct quote from Jesus!

The Scriptures are written at a 5th grade level.
God did this in His wisdom so He would be understood by those without extensive education.
Mark 16:15-16, is a very simple passage to understand.
Unlike some of Paul's writings.

The answer has been given.
Your answer is incorrect.

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So how do you explain the plain scripture of John 3:16 ?
This is a simple test on Mark 16:15-16.
You did not take the test.
This test has nothing to do with John 3:16.
The purpose of this test is to examine oneselves ability on reading comprehension.
Also to see if one can be honest with what the Scriptures simply say.

This is not about debating a personal interpretation of the meaning of the verses.
This has nothing to do with interpretation.

I will say, that those who cannot give the simple correct answer have either,
Very poor reading skills or have a biased presumption against Jesus' words in this verse.
Also some prefer to believe in lies rather than plain words of Scripture.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Incorrect, The correct answer is C
You are not correct 'teacher.' And I already showed why. Carry on in your ignorance and arrogance.

Stay away from fools,
or you won't learn a thing.

Proverbs 14:7 (CEV)

A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion.

Proverbs 18:2

Reactions: mailmandan

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
The purpose of this test is to examine oneselves ability on reading comprehension.

This is not about debating a personal interpretation of the meaning of the verses.

Very poor reading skills or have a biased presumption against Jesus' words in this verse.
So what's your point ?

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Incorrect, The correct answer is C v 16: He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned
C) Mark 16:15-16,
And Jesus said to them he who believes and is baptized will be saved. Look again at the multiple choice answers, C is the correct answer. It is a direct quote from Jesus!

The Scriptures are written at a 5th grade level.
God did this in His wisdom so He would be understood by those without extensive education.
Mark 16:15-16, is a very simple passage to understand.
Unlike some of Paul's writings.

The answer has been given.
Your answer is incorrect.

What baptism is implied? Is Christ saying he who believes and is (water) baptized will be saved; or is Christ saying he who believes and is baptized (Holy Spirit baptism) will be saved?

There are many who profess they believe who are baptized in water, who later prove by turning away from Christ that what they professed along with water baptism had not saved them. But those who profess unto everlasting salvation believe because they receieved baptism of the Holy Spirit, that is the way and means of obtaining eternal life through Christ.

Matthew 3:11 (KJV) I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

Matthew 20:22-23 (KJV) But Jesus answered and said, Ye know not what ye ask. Are ye able to drink of the cup that I shall drink of, and to be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with? They say unto him, We are able. And he saith unto them, Ye shall drink indeed of my cup, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with: but to sit on my right hand, and on my left, is not mine to give, but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared of my Father.

Mark 1:4 (KJV) John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.

Mark 1:8 (KJV) I indeed have baptized you with water: but he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost.

John 1:33 (KJV)
And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.

Acts 1:5 (KJV) For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.

Ac 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Ac 2:41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

1 Corinthians 12:13 (KJV) For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Water baptism is a sign indicating inclusion or membership with the body of Christ outwardly, just as circumcision of old was the outwards sign of inclusion or membership within Israel. But water baptism will not save you. To be eternally saved we MUST believe Christ through baptism of the Holy Spirit Who gives eternal life by grace through faith according to the will and purpose of God alone.

John 1:12-13 (KJV) But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Or perhaps those who choose not to play along understand that all Scripture must be understood in light of what is written elsewhere. When we try to prove our doctrine using isolated verses, we prove we lack understanding and desire to support our opinions rather than seeking truth.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
What baptism is implied? Is Christ saying he who believes and is (water) baptized will be saved; or is Christ saying he who believes and is baptized (Holy Spirit baptism) will be saved?

There are many who profess they believe who are baptized in water, who later prove by turning away from Christ that what they professed along with water baptism had not saved them. But those who profess unto everlasting salvation believe because they receieved baptism of the Holy Spirit, that is the way and means of obtaining eternal life through Christ.

Matthew 3:11 (KJV) I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

Matthew 20:22-23 (KJV) But Jesus answered and said, Ye know not what ye ask. Are ye able to drink of the cup that I shall drink of, and to be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with? They say unto him, We are able. And he saith unto them, Ye shall drink indeed of my cup, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with: but to sit on my right hand, and on my left, is not mine to give, but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared of my Father.

Mark 1:4 (KJV) John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.

Mark 1:8 (KJV) I indeed have baptized you with water: but he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost.

John 1:33 (KJV)
And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.

Acts 1:5 (KJV) For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.

Ac 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Ac 2:41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

1 Corinthians 12:13 (KJV) For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Water baptism is a sign indicating inclusion or membership with the body of Christ outwardly, just as circumcision of old was the outwards sign of inclusion or membership within Israel. But water baptism will not save you. To be eternally saved we MUST believe Christ through baptism of the Holy Spirit Who gives eternal life by grace through faith according to the will and purpose of God alone.

John 1:12-13 (KJV) But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
Acts 10:43-47 shows the order: first belief, then spirit baptism, then water baptism.

The seal of the Holy Spirit, or Holy Spirit baptism, is proof of salvation. They received the Holy Spirit baptism and were saved before their water baptism.

Likewise the thief who believed Jesus was going to his Kingdom and asked to be remembered, died that day with Jesus, and was literally baptised into Christ's death. Rather than symbolically through water.

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 10:43-47 shows the order: first belief, then spirit baptism, then water baptism.

The seal of the Holy Spirit, or Holy Spirit baptism, is proof of salvation. They received the Holy Spirit baptism and were saved before their water baptism.

Likewise the thief who believed Jesus was going to his Kingdom and asked to be remembered, died that day with Jesus, and was literally baptised into Christ's death. Rather than symbolically through water.

Yes, the thief on the cross is a good example of which baptism saves men/women who were spiritually dead in trespasses and sins. Even the devils believe! (Mk 1:39; Acts 19:15) Just saying we believe does not save us! That's called possessing head knowledge, but salvation comes through a changed heart, and that comes from the Holy Spirit baptism.

While Peter was still preaching to the Gentiles the Holy Spirit fell upon those who heard the Word. The Jews were astonished because the gift of the Holy Spirit, evidenced through speaking in tongues, came to the Gentiles as He had the Jews. Then Peter commanded them to be (water) baptized in the name of the Lord.

Acts 10:44-48 (KJV) While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word. And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost. For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter, Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we? And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What he's getting at is analyzing Mark 16:15-16 with a logical "Truth Table". They taught this kind of stuff in my logic course in college. (Not to mention it is useful in designing logic circuits and writing computer programs, which I may have a little experience with also.) Disconnect this exercise from your theology or other verses. This is just a tool for analyzing arguments logically. You gotta know what a verse actually says (and doesn't say) before you can argue what it means. Or how it fits in the Big Picture of systematic theology.

Mark 16:15-16
Believes?Baptized?Saved?
FALSEFALSEFALSE
FALSETRUEFALSE
TRUEFALSEIndeterminate
TRUETRUETRUE

Last edited: