A Unitarian Christian

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello All!

Was not sure how to identify myself upon registering. Elsewhere orthodox are adamant that only trinitarians can be Christians. I had trouble finding a 'reply' but in other threads, which made me wonder if my registration is complete.

Anyway, I look forward to many interesting discussions.

Wrangler
Do Unitarians believe that Jesus was just a man and not the Son of God who died for the sins of all mankind?
I am curious as I read it recently and in my mind that falls into agnostic beliefs.
Edit:
This is from a Google search...only a portion of the article...
Jesus Christ
Many Unitarians, particularly in North America, do not identify themselves as Christian. Those Unitarians who continue to regard Jesus as central to their faith will typically hold some or all of the following views about him:

• Jesus was a man, not God
  • Jesus was not physically resurrected
  • Jesus was a Jewish prophet with a mission of reconciliation
  • Jesus was filled with divine inspiration
  • Jesus is a supreme example of living with integrity and compassion
  • Jesus' life is reflective of the divine potential in all of us

Last edited:

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do Unitarians believe that Jesus was just a man and not the Son of God who died for the sins of all mankind?

As I said, I am no longer associated with the church by that name. So, I am a small unitarian.

Rather than focus on the man-is-God thesis, focus on the basis is to reject the doctrine of the trinity; that there is one God, the Father (as 1 Corinthians 8:6 days). God selected a servant to to bring about universal restoration. This man through whom salvation is achieved is Jesus.

Are you familiar with the notion that all believers are chosen by God? We are all children of God. Jesus is the first fruits of God’s plan of universal salvation.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I said, I am no longer associated with the church by that name. So, I am a small unitarian.

Rather than focus on the man-is-God thesis, focus on the basis is to reject the doctrine of the trinity; that there is one God, the Father (as 1 Corinthians 8:6 days). God selected a servant to to bring about universal restoration. This man through whom salvation is achieved is Jesus.

Are you familiar with the notion that all believers are chosen by God? We are all children of God. Jesus is the first fruits of God’s plan of universal salvation.
I am familiar that our names are written in the book of life from the foundation of creation....but can be blotted out.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am familiar that our names are written in the book of life from the foundation of creation....but can be blotted out.

I imagine there are many threads that delve into the ‘Once saved, always saved’ thesis. I met Baptist’s who openly mock those who believe as we do.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK, well the history of unitarianism goes back to the beginning. The Bible was compiled by trinitarians but written by Jews, who are unitarians and reject trinitarianism to this day.
I'm neither unitarianism, nor trinitarian. but if you are describing .... ALL JEWS .... as unitarians is that really true?.
I have a few problem with this movement, maybe you can enlighten me. I would like to ask a series of questions if you don't mind.

question #1. The Unitarian belief. The Unitarian belief, and their doctrine. their, or your belief is that our Lord Jesus the Christ is just a human man who God chose to deliver, or save his people from their sins, and later God glorified him. but notice two things here in the Isaiah & Luke accounts concerning the saviour. the small case “s” in saviour, Isaiah 43:11. and notice the “a” as in one who is doing the saving, in Luke 2:11. In combining these things, this is signifying a human agent of God as the Unitarian believe, correct, and not God himself as Saviour, is this right so far.

PICJAG
101G The "Spiritual Saboteur"

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t mind your questions. However, I am not a member of the Unitarian church. So, I am not inclined to speak for them all.

While I have not re-read the Scriptures you referenced, I agree with your point.

One of the things I asked my Bible study leader is how to put the ministry of Jesus in perspective in light of many OT verses that stated the Spirit of God came onto people.

He said the difference is the Spirit of God only came onto people in very rare instances, while now it is available to all.

One thing non-unitarians do get appreciate is the role our Savior Jesus plays in unitarian theology. It is the same role. A mediator cannot be a member of either group he is mediating for.

So, while Jesus was a man. It is important to differentiate his being a unique creation. Jesus remains the only man resurrected by God in a glorified body. This son has been given all authority by God to judge in God’s name.