A useful chart for classifying Belief

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lux Veritatis

Jan 22, 2013
Selene said:
Do you really think you can love? Humans don't know true love. Do you think that going to people you like is what true love is all about? They say "God is love" simply because true perfect love is divine. The kind of love that you think you have is not even a perfect one. When someone murders your child, for example, can you love the murderer?

People will often sacrifice their lives for their families and friends, but how many of us can sacrifice our life for those rejected by society? Would you, for example, live among the lepers to help them, knowing that you will end up getting leprosy and die from it? That is really what love is........and humans are not capable of this. Those who did administer to the lepers like Father Damian had a love that is not human. It came from God because no human can love like that.

The different Christian denomination assigns different attributes and personalities to God, but God is one.
Different religions and faiths assign different meanings to God. That's my point. You aren't proving your idea of God, you are just arguing that some power theoretically exists.

While we're on the topic of love, how do you define it? Don't give me the "God is love" thing, that isn't a definition—its attributing something to God but not telling me what that thing actually is.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Lux Veritatis said:
Different religions and faiths assign different meanings to God. That's my point. You aren't proving your idea of God, you are just arguing that some power theoretically exists.

While we're on the topic of love, how do you define it? Don't give me the "God is love" thing, that isn't a definition—its attributing something to God but not telling me what that thing actually is.
The reason different religions and faiths assign different meanings to God is because humans are different and limited. But His existance is not dependent on our perception of him. Someone may think something of me in this way while others may think differently. It would not matter because I still exist.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
hmm......your post sounds bitter. if you are an atheist why do you care what christians think about the legitamacy of your ability to love? i can safely say that i do not seek out atheists on the internet in order to add legitamacy to any of my beliefs.

as far as love is concerned, i have found Christ's example of love to be irresitable and through the power of the Holy Spirit I am compelled to love others selflessly. i tend to believe that Christ cannot be overlooked if you are serious about desiring to love and serve others.

rstrats

Sep 6, 2012
Lux Veritatis,

re: "I choose to believe he doesn't..."

Is there any implication in that comment that you think that you can consciously CHOOSE to believe that someone or something does or doesn't exist, or that a certain proposition is or isn't true?

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hi Lux,

Nor is it possible to prove that he does. I choose to believe he doesn't, you chose to believe he does.
I note your response to aspen, in which you refer to 'evidence'. You are missing a few key points made in the Bible, about what constitutes 'evidence' for God's existence. The main one is creation, and that God knows you've noticed it. Also, He has noticed you, and knows that you know that means there is a God whom you choose not to acknowledge or thank.

Following the point that the material world exists, (including the invisible parts of it), your descent from the first man is included in that existence.

Do you exist? Or, aren't you sure about that, either?

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Theists and scientists both have to deal with unknown, we just deal with it differently. Theists believe in a being greater than themselves - scientists believe in humanism. both are seen as arrogant and pursumptous by people in opposite camps. The difference between you and selene is that you have decided to confront Christians about how silly they look with their obsessive need for a transitional object, while denyiny that you, yourself are whistling in the dark - pretending that you can manage your own existental anxiety like a big boy. selene is not going to any atheist boards to pantze atheist for their wishful, desperate devotion to the human potential.

You may have missed the annoucement - Atheism and Religious Fundamentalism are two sides of the same coin called Modernism, which was discountinued decades ago. Instead of solving all the world's problems, Modernism dehumanised and reduced the world to a meaningless, sterile, clinical, Rand-topia, which substituted 'meaning for living' with int

ok half my post was lost - It was good too

Lux Veritatis

Jan 22, 2013
aspen2 said:
Theists and scientists both have to deal with unknown, we just deal with it differently. Theists believe in a being greater than themselves - scientists believe in humanism. both are seen as arrogant and pursumptous by people in opposite camps. The difference between you and selene is that you have decided to confront Christians about how silly they look with their obsessive need for a transitional object, while denyiny that you, yourself are whistling in the dark - pretending that you can manage your own existental anxiety like a big boy. selene is not going to any atheist boards to pantze atheist for their wishful, desperate devotion to the human potential.

You may have missed the annoucement - Atheism and Religious Fundamentalism are two sides of the same coin called Modernism, which was discountinued decades ago. Instead of solving all the world's problems, Modernism dehumanised and reduced the world to a meaningless, sterile, clinical, Rand-topia, which substituted 'meaning for living' with int

ok half my post was lost - It was good too
I am going to die no matter what I choose to believe or do with my life. The rest is just filler.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
atheism is simply secular fundamentalism. It merely replaces a rigid brittle devotion for a transitional object in the sky with the same quality of belief in the human potential.

We are all going to die. I choose to spend my life learning to love others - I believe anything less is a wasted life.

Lux Veritatis

Jan 22, 2013
aspen2 said:
atheism is simply secular fundamentalism. It merely replaces a rigid brittle devotion for a transitional object in the sky with the same quality of belief in the human potential.

We are all going to die. I choose to spend my life learning to love others - I believe anything less is a wasted life.
So do I, on both accounts.

rstrats

Sep 6, 2012
Lux Veritatis,

re: "I am going to die no matter what I choose to believe...

Once again, is there any implication in that comment that you think that you can consciously CHOOSE to believe that someone or something does or doesn't exist, or that a certain proposition is or isn't true?