Abraham

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

janc3

Sep 5, 2020
Naples
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
The man who left his family and home for his God, who was even willing to slaughter his own son.
This strong faith impresses me very much, also God liked it, for not without reason he even called Abraham "my friend", as far as I know there are only two people in the Bible who are called "friend" by God, Abraham and Moses.

Would you have done the same as Abraham?

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The man who left his family and home for his God, who was even willing to slaughter his own son.
This strong faith impresses me very much, also God liked it, for not without reason he even called Abraham "my friend", as far as I know there are only two people in the Bible who are called "friend" by God, Abraham and Moses.

I really don't think that I would have.

Fortunately for me, God in the present age has provided other ways for me to express a living faith in Him.

(I also do not currently have any children; but I have heard that the love of a father for his child is very strong: and based on that I expect that I would not ever want to kill my own son as a sacrifice to the Lord.)

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
addressing the OP, first a good topic, second, I agree with JBF on this topic. James 1:13 "Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:"
James 1:14 "But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed." (BINGO, there is our way out). God never tempt "WITH" evil. so looking in hind sight I know my test is not being involved in a "slaughter" as the OP puts it o_O which is a little bit in an overkill... that word "slaughter bring to mind a discriminatory massacre, which is bad because a sacrifice of a love one was only intended. in which case a sacrifice is not always need but this, and here is what God was after or testing. 1 Samuel 15:22 "And Samuel said, Hath the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams."

so for a many of years i myself, I thought that this was a bad test ... NO, but a righteous tempt/test of FAITH.

obedience is better than sacrifice.

Hoped this help someone.

PICJAG.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

would you have denied Christ 3 times like Peter ?

janc3

Sep 5, 2020
Naples
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
would you have denied Christ 3 times like Peter ?
The prophet Daniel preferred to be eaten alive by lions than to betray God, I think we should take Daniel as an example in this aspect.
By the way, Peter learned from his mistake, for in the end he was crucified like the Messiah.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The culture from which God had called Abraham had some weird and extremely erroneous ideas about the character of God. They believed God required the sacrifice of children, and they did this constantly. Among other things. Abraham, in agreeing with the offering of isaac, would have been saying to himself, "so that's the kind of God you are".
God however put Abraham through this exercise because He wanted such ideas permanently expunged from Abraham's thinking.
In interrupting the process, God was saying, "you have proven your faithfulness, but I am not that kind of God.'
Abraham was right when he spoke in faith... "God shall provide Himself a Lamb for the sacrifice". Rather than demanding we sacrifice, God is willing to sacrifice Himself for us. All He asks of us is to believe and trust in His provision.

janc3

Sep 5, 2020
Naples
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Rather than demanding we sacrifice, God is willing to sacrifice Himself for us.
This statement is not true, God sacrificed his son so that man sacrifices himself.
The Messiah did not come into the world to bring peace, but the sword, which means that man has to lose his own life to get life.
Whoever thinks he can be saved by the sacrifice of the Son alone is mistaken, it is not that simple.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
John 15
13 Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
14 You are my friends if you do what I command you.
15 No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you.

When we are in the New Covenant we are friends with God

janc3

Sep 5, 2020
Naples
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
John 15
13 Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
14 You are my friends if you do what I command you.
15 No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you.

When we are in the New Covenant we are friends with God
Well, I think it is not to be understood in the same way, since the father is not the son.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This statement is not true, God sacrificed his son so that man sacrifices himself.
The Messiah did not come into the world to bring peace, but the sword, which means that man has to lose his own life to get life.
Whoever thinks he can be saved by the sacrifice of the Son alone is mistaken, it is not that simple.

It is "that simple"...

2Co 11:3, But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.