Acts 20:9-12

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lookin4wardtoHeaven

Jul 17, 2007
9And there sat in a window a certain young man named Eutychus, being fallen into a deep sleep: and as Paul was long preaching, he sunk down with sleep, and fell down from the third loft, and was taken up dead. 10And Paul went down, and fell on him, and embracing him said, Trouble not yourselves; for his life is in him. 11When he therefore was come up again, and had broken bread, and eaten, and talked a long while, even till break of day, so he departed. 12And they brought the young man alive, and were not a little comforted.Was this to show that Paul was in the Spirit and to confirm what he was preaching? I have read this many times , but while reading my Bible today . I was led to it again and to post it here. God bless you all
smile.gif

Dunamite

Nov 15, 2007
QUOTE (Lookin'4wardtoHeaven @ Mar 22 2009, 10:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=71201
9And there sat in a window a certain young man named Eutychus, being fallen into a deep sleep: and as Paul was long preaching, he sunk down with sleep, and fell down from the third loft, and was taken up dead. 10And Paul went down, and fell on him, and embracing him said, Trouble not yourselves; for his life is in him. 11When he therefore was come up again, and had broken bread, and eaten, and talked a long while, even till break of day, so he departed. 12And they brought the young man alive, and were not a little comforted.Was this to show that Paul was in the Spirit and to confirm what he was preaching? I have read this many times , but while reading my Bible today . I was led to it again and to post it here. God bless you all
smile.gif

It proves that he was preaching on Sunday, not on the Sabbath. Acts 20: 7On the first day of the week we came together to break bread. Paul spoke to the people and, because he intended to leave the next day, kept on talking until midnight.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
QUOTE (Dunamite @ Mar 25 2009, 04:46 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=71268
It proves that he was preaching on Sunday, not on the Sabbath. Acts 20: 7On the first day of the week we came together to break bread. Paul spoke to the people and, because he intended to leave the next day, kept on talking until midnight.
Uh the first day of the week on our calendar is Sunday. I don't think Paul or the Bible was referring to our calendar...

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
This is taking place about about 27 years after the crucifixion. The Word of God traveled very slow in that day, and Paul is getting ready to say goodbye, and shortly he will be heading for Rome. However he is going back to those places where he once visited to plant the final seeds for the growth of the Church, and at the same time holding up in love the disciples and converts. This was Sunday as stated, and the Christians met to study the word. It was Paul's last day with them at Troas, and Paul was preaching a very long sermon. It is interesting that the church is growing, and the building that Paul is preaching in has three levels. Remember that in the study of the scripture, Paul and the Apostles taught on three levels. Paul taught where you could get an understand of the Word of God, regardless of what level you were on in the Scriptures, from beginner to very knowledgable I understand this message to be more on spirtual level than physical Acts 20:8 "And there were many lights in the upper chamber, where they were gathered together."Even at this late hour, there were many lights to keep the sermon going, and the midnight hour was approaching. Remember prophetically the midnight hour is the return of our Lord Jesus Christ.Acts 20:9 "And there sat in a window a certain young man named Eutychus, being fallen into a deep sleep: and as Paul was long preaching, he sunk down with sleep, and fell down from the third loft, and was taken up dead.""Eutychus" in the Greek means "fortunate", and when you break the name down, it means "a mark to be reached". This young man is sitting in the window, and he drifts off to sleep and falls out the window. When we come to this hour of midnight, prophetically speaking, that is when the wedding takes place. If we use this verse as a parable to see and understand the second advent and the return of Christ. This young man was well learned, because he was on the third level, and he enjoyed the preaching. However he fell asleep, because he wasn't watching. He wasn't watching, listening or paying attention, either to the preaching of Paul, the time of the day, or to the happenings around him. So he fell from the third level of understanding to the bottom. Spiritually speaking his sleeping caused him to become spiritally dead. In the physical he also was just as dead.Acts 20:10 "And Paul went down, and fell on him, and embracing him said, "Trouble not yourselves; for his life is in him."Paul was using this as an example of a spiritual level. He is not really dead. Of course Paul had the power from Almighty God to set this example not only to them listening to Paul's preaching, but to us living in this final generation. Acts 20:11 "When he therefore was come up again, and had broken bread, and eaten, and talked a long while, even till break of day, so he departed."Paul was quite a man, here he preached all day and night, and then after breakfast he started his journey to walk all day to the next location. This lets you know much more of the character of Paul. However before Paul left, Paul brought the young man back to the third level, he brought him back to life.Spiritually and physicallyActs 20:12 "And they brought the young man alive, and were not a little comforted."In a prophetic sense, there will be some that fall asleep in all generations but espically in this last generation,Do not go to sleep on the last watch. One can be full of understanding, and still fall asleep.

Lookin4wardtoHeaven

Jul 17, 2007
((((Christina)))Thank you so much for breaking this down and explaining each verse. I love that you said thisQUOTE
I understand this message to be more on spiritual level than physical
I kept getting this same message but wasn't sure how it all came together...I appreciate your wisdom. While reading your post on this,I felt God's Spirit fill my heart and knew who was guiding your thoughts.QUOTE
In a prophetic sense, there will be some that fall asleep in all generations but espically in this last generation,Do not go to sleep on the last watch. One can be full of understanding, and still fall asleep.
Amen! Just a little note:This made me think of the time Jesus was in the garden of Gethsemane praying and came back and found His disciples asleep......after telling them to watch and pray.Matthew 26:40-4140 And he cometh unto the disciples, and findeth them asleep, and saith unto Peter, What, could ye not watch with me one hour? 41 Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.God bless you
biggrin.gif

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
This may be off topic, but it kinda fits with this. It might be suited to have a topic all of it's own, but since the cool study above involves all of this......What is the general concensus about the gifts of the Holy Spirit, such as faith healing, speaking in tongues, prophesy, raising the dead and others? I've heard it's only for the apostles, I've heard it's only for the early church. However, I've seen and heard evidence that it's still for us today. If that's the case, then why are so many people denying this? Or is it possibly the people that are true don't do it and make a big show like call the news, or have infomercials selling "the anointing".