Adam and Mary........Mediatrix

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
vows

Galatians 4:26
Daughter of Zion is the personification of the city of Jerusalem. Zion was the name of the Jebusite citadel that later became the City of David. In the many texts of the Old Testament that speak of the Daughter of Zion, there is no real distinction to be made between a daughter of Zion and the city of Jerusalem itself.

In the Old Testament, the title Virgin of Israel is the same as the Daughter of Zion. The image of the bride of the Lord is found in Hosea, Chapters 1-3: It reflects the infidelity of the people to their God.

Jeremiah 3:3-4 speaks of prostitution and the infidelity of the bride. Virginity in the Old Testament is fidelity to the Covenant. In 2 Corinthians 11:2, Paul speaks of the Church as a pure virgin. Here, virginity is the purity of faith.

Throughout the Old Testament, it is in Zion-Jerusalem that God shall gather together all of his people. In Isaiah 35:10, the tribes of Israel shall gather in Zion. In Ezekiel 22:17-22, the prophet describes God’s purification of his people that shall take place “within” the walls of the city, in the midst of Jerusalem.

The Hebrew word used to describe this inner section of the city is “beqervah,” a word formed from the root “qerev” meaning something deep, intimate, situated deep within a person. It also means the maternal womb, the intestines, the breast, the insides of a person, the most secret area of one’s soul where wisdom, spirit, malice and the Law of the Lord dwell. Therefore, the city of Jerusalem has a definite maternal function in the history of salvation.

In the Christian Tradition

The Second Vatican Council formally called Mary “Daughter of Zion” in the dogmatic constitution on the Church “Lumen Gentium” (No. 52). The Church’s appropriation of this title for the Mother of the Lord has a rich Scriptural foundation. Mary illustrates the prophecies of the Old Testament that ascribed value to the eschatological role of woman as mother both of the Messiah and of the new people of God.

The title Daughter of Zion evokes the great biblical symbolism of the Messianic Zion. Mary illustrates the prophecies of the Hebrew Scriptures which ascribed value to the eschatological role of woman as mother both of the Messiah and of the new people of God: the individual person and the whole people being very closely united, in line with the cultural structures of Israel.

For the prophets, the Daughter of Zion was the spouse of the Lord when she observed the covenant. Mary’s role as Daughter of Zion, or for that matter any of her roles in the life of God’s people, can never be understood independently of Christ and of the Spirit, which he bestows upon all humanity in dying on the cross.

Lumen Gentium” says that all theology and Marian piety belong to the mystery of Christ and to the mystery of the Church.

Mary, Daughter of Zion, is the archetype of the Church as Bride, Virgin and Mother. It is not only biological virginity, but also spiritual virginity, which means fidelity to the Scriptures, openness toward others, and purity in faith.

Mary’s words to the servants at the wedding banquet in Cana (John 2:1-12) are an invitation to all peoples to become part of the new people of God. Mary is the new “Daughter of Zion” because she has invited the servants to perfectly obey Jesus the Lord. At Cana this new Daughter of Zion has given voice to all people.

Both at Cana and at Calvary (in John’s Gospel), Mary represents not only her maternity and physical relationship with her son, but also her highly symbolic role of Woman and Mother of God’s people. At Calvary, more than any other place in the fourth Gospel, Mary is “Mother Zion”: her spiritual maternity begins at the foot of the cross.

As “Mother Zion,” she not only welcomes and represents Israel, but the Church, the People of God of the New Covenant. At the foot of the cross, Mary is the mother of the new messianic people, of all of those who are one in Christ.

She who bore Jesus in her womb now takes her place in the assembly of God’s holy people. She is the new Jerusalem: In her own womb was the Temple, and all peoples shall be gathered back to the Temple, which is her Son. The Mother of Jesus is indeed the Mother of all of God’s scattered children. She is Mother of the Church. Mary is the first Daughter of Zion, leading all of God’s people on the journey toward the Kingdom.

https://zenit.org/articles/shout-for-joy-o-daughter-zion/

Who is my mother? Mary or Galatians 4:26?
The answer is both.

I have already read it. Yesterday. When you posted your thread. Honestly, it made me step back and consider. There are good points here that I have never considered. I am not anti-Mary. My only hope in ever commenting to a RCC thread is that, you know and see that it all points to one higher. And He has and will be above all and in all. I would respond the same to any claiming they know and possess the only way to God. I would ask them: is that only way through the Son; the provision of God in man’s place? All I can believe and base my trust in completely is what God says:

John 3:6
[6] That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Mary was flesh=flesh(that which is natural). New Jerusalem above which is free=Spirit. (That which is Spirit). The miracle being in a pot(vessel) of flesh is given a supernatural birth of Spirit (the promise) which is from above. It doesn’t come up from underneath(not that I have seen) or magically appear but is born from above (God tells us). THAT is where I want to focus.

1 Corinthians 15:46-47
[46] Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual. [47] The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven.

So is it safe to say by one woman (eve) a lie(deception) entered in to the world. By the second woman (Mary/the church/born from above) truth entered into the world. But see Mary (without that seed/Christ) would just be Eve. ???

the church would be just religion, flesh only: without being born from above by the seed which is Christ.(bone of my bone and flesh of my flesh).

Last edited:

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I have already read it. Yesterday. When you posted your thread. Honestly, it made me step back and consider. There are good points here that I have never considered. I am not anti-Mary. My only hope in ever commenting to a RCC thread is that, you know and see that it all points to one higher. And He has and will be above all and in all. I would respond the same to any claiming they know and possess the only way to God. I would ask them: is that only way through the Son; the provision of God in man’s place? All I can believe and base my trust in completely is what God says:

[6] That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Mary was flesh=flesh(that which is natural). New Jerusalem above which is free=Spirit. (That which is Spirit). The miracle being in a pot(vessel) of flesh is given a supernatural birth of Spirit (the promise) which is from above. It doesn’t come up from underneath(not that I have seen) or magically appear but is born from above (God tells us). THAT is where I want to focus.

[46] Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual. [47] The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven.

So is it safe to say by one woman (eve) a lie(deception) entered in to the world. By the second woman (Mary/the church/born from above) truth entered into the world. But see Mary (without that seed/Christ) would just be Eve. ???

the church would be just religion, flesh only: without being born from above by the seed which is Christ.(bone of my bone and flesh of my flesh).
Mariology is the study of Mary.
Mariolotry is the worship of Mary, and has been condemned by the Church as a heresy since the earliest centuries of the Church. It's one of the worst insults thrown at Catholics, and I've seen it all too often.

Protestants get "0" education on the Biblical Mary from the pulpit. Explaining Marian theology to a Protestant is like trying to teach calculus or trigonometry to a child who has just learned the times table. It takes time, study, and above all, an open mind. The Scriptures explode into a dazzling display of fireworks, or you can settle for reading the package. But, even some Catholics don't understand some of this stuff.
You seem to have a better grasp of Mary than most Protestants, I give you credit for that.
Here are a few articles you can brows at your liesure, if you so wish.
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/davearmstrong/category/blessed-virgin-mary

redeemer in the womb.jpg
REDEEMER IN THE WOMB​

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom

Adam was the first man = born not of flesh but as the son of God[Lk.3;38] -twinc

Reactions: VictoryinJesus