Addiction

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good words, Foreigner

You don't know much about addiction, do you? And you know even less about addicts. You should thank God you are not one of them.

Amen

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm kind of on Mr. Rosenberger's side on this one.... He seems to be saying help the addict, but don't enable him and don't let him get by if he or she wants to quit.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
FHII I believe everyone here is saying that.......most of us are saying it without the stereotyping and name calling

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
You don't know much about addiction, do you? And you know even less about addicts. You should thank God you are not one of them.
I have two drug addicts in my street that i talk to one is christian and been involved with drugs for 30 years he tels me every thing about it's hold on him and he is not on that stuff now thanks as he says only to Christianity in his life.
An other a good old mate from school and we went to Lutheran church he got caught up in speed down in Sydney and fried his brain, he said i saved his life and lives with his parents on the mental pension the last ten years or so.
When i look back on all the people who have an addiction be it drugs or etc i believe it mainly comes down to of been spoilt as a kid. they lack discipline and commitment to Gods laws.

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
I'm kind of on Mr. Rosenberger's side on this one.... He seems to be saying help the addict, but don't enable him and don't let him get by if he or she wants to quit.
More like don't be taken for a ride by someone not committed but some will fall away for a while but can come back stronger for it and that just normal ebb and flow.
Don't baby people.
I am probably just p off and had a gut full helping at this point of time and just upset.
People say to me why do you talk to that so and so and can't believe i would have anything to do with them and think i am mad. i say it's my christian duty. but it's not easy and when you see them back slide.

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
I have two drug addicts in my street that i talk to one is christian and been involved with drugs for 30 years he tels me every thing about it's hold on him and he is not on that stuff now thanks as he says only to Christianity in his life.
An other a good old mate from school and we went to Lutheran church he got caught up in speed down in Sydney and fried his brain, he said i saved his life and lives with his parents on the mental pension the last ten years or so.
When i look back on all the people who have an addiction be it drugs or etc i believe it mainly comes down to of been spoilt as a kid. they lack discipline and commitment to Gods laws.

Like I said, "You don't know much about addiction, do you?"

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Empathy is necessary for love and forgiveness......I think it is important to place ourselves in the shoes all kinds of sinners that we meet, including addicts. MR i am not going to make any generalized claims about your character based on your posts on this thread, but I am going to challenge you to gain some understanding about addiction and get to know some addicts that have sobered up. I believe you will discover they are regular people who happen to be addicted to alcohol or drugs.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Having problems - can't bold or underline - just accidently deleted my post, oh well...

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
I would say you are lost. who said i had no empathy for them.
I am surrounded by them it's becoming an epidemic. because of PC
And i will inform you what the root cause is, it's weakness caused by being spoilt brats and living in a PC world does not help.

My brother had to take on with another woman's family of 3 as well as his own and the father of the 3 was a drop kick and the son of that idiot father was totally out of control and there was noting my brother could do about it at all because of our now PC world we live in now is so stupid that that kid has no hope. the moron was taking drugs bashing people in a gang just for kicks bashed his mother for money etc etc.
If it was up to me it would be boot camp for people like that as being a namby pamby does not work.
And i know people who are not under addiction anymore to and talk to them full on.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your language tells me you have no empathy for any of the people involved. Addicts are weaklings, spoiled brats and morons.....other people are idiots or 'drop kicks' whatever that means. And then, you seem to be claiming that political correctness is the reason they will never change? What does that even mean?

Your dim view of the people in your life and your dismissal of all of them as idiots and morons shows not only a lack of empathy, but a lack of basic perspective taking skills. Frankly your lack of even basic kindness surpasses narcissism and takes on a full blown antisocial quality. I doubt you can offer any of the people you mentioned any help - it is probably best to stay away from them completely!

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
Thanks aspy. what do they say about people who always think the worst in people.
I would say you are on the wrong track bro. is it because you are to worldly to see it bro.
I would look at it from the point of view of casting pearls before swines. as i am not on about people who are struggling to deal with it but abuse any opportunity they have, and look down on people who help them.
I don't know aspen if you have any knowledge in dealing with people in the real world of business or you are just a sheltered wage earner in a dream world state.
I come across cunning dogs all the time in all walks of life, the greed driven opportunist trash and all the rest are trying to have you on. they do not respect at all people who they take for granted and abuse.
This abuse come from being a spoilt brat 'mainly' i do believe, and it is a recipe for disaster as is PC when you see it in depth.
It may stem from the sin of not honouring and having due respect for parents or your elders as i have come across many young people who look down their nose at the elder generation thinking they have all the answers with their pompous short sighted PC gods. Any fool can run around pushing love as a recipe but God is much more than just that dear aspen.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks aspy. what do they say about people who always think the worst in people.
I would say you are on the wrong track bro. is it because you are to worldly to see it bro.
I would look at it from the point of view of casting pearls before swines. as i am not on about people who are struggling to deal with it but abuse any opportunity they have, and look down on people who help them.
I don't know aspen if you have any knowledge in dealing with people in the real world of business or you are just a sheltered wage earner in a dream world state.
I come across cunning dogs all the time in all walks of life, the greed driven opportunist trash and all the rest are trying to have you on. they do not respect at all people who they take for granted and abuse.
This abuse come from being a spoilt brat 'mainly' i do believe, and it is a recipe for disaster as is PC when you see it in depth.
It may stem from the sin of not honouring and having due respect for parents or your elders as i have come across many young people who look down their nose at the elder generation thinking they have all the answers with their pompous short sighted PC gods. Any fool can run around pushing love as a recipe but God is much more than just that dear aspen.

I am curious, what do you mean by 'spoiled brat'?
What do it mean to be spoiled as a child and how does it lead to addiction?

I've already stated that addicts who are active in their addiction - actually drinking or using drugs are not capable of being helped until they are willing to get sober.

I have 20 years experience helping people who you would call idiots and morons.

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
Spoilt is spoilt like as in rotten, as they lack discipline obedience fortitude and lack true love and commitment and honer and respect for what is right and wrong. they have no strength in mastering themselves.

When they are sober they still lack and that was the problem in the first place most likely. their can be other reasons but i am on about generally speaking.

Idiot or moron is not a bad word but it describes.

THE Gypsy

Jul 27, 2011
Earth
I have had my share of "addictions" over the years and I have a problem with "12 Step programs". Anyone that points anybody to anything other than the blood of Christ is barking up the wrong tree.

God provided one solution to all mans woes...The all sufficient blood of Christ. Anything else is simply a counterfeit diversion for the real power. There are not 12 steps. There is only one step.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Spoilt is spoilt like as in rotten, as they lack discipline obedience fortitude and lack true love and commitment and honer and respect for what is right and wrong. they have no strength in mastering themselves.

When they are sober they still lack and that was the problem in the first place most likely. their can be other reasons but i am on about generally speaking.

Idiot or moron is not a bad word but it describes.

Actually, there are many professionals that have trouble with addiction. I think temperament and genes play a much greater role than being spoiled as a kid. And discipline or trying really hard to stop using substances through willpower fails 99% of the time.

I have had my share of "addictions" over the years and I have a problem with "12 Step programs". Anyone that points anybody to anything other than the blood of Christ is barking up the wrong tree.

God provided one solution to all mans woes...The all sufficient blood of Christ. Anything else is simply a counterfeit diversion for the real power. There are not 12 steps. There is only one step.

I was surprised to find out that 12 step programs have worked for me. I know they do not work for everyone. God plays a long role in AA - it is actually modeled on a Christian movement called the Oxford movement

Redeemed86

Oct 14, 2011
Just some food for thought..

Matthew 18

The Parable of the Unmerciful Servant

[sup]23[/sup] “Therefore, the kingdom of heaven is like a king who wanted to settle accounts with his servants.[sup]24[/sup] As he began the settlement, a man who owed him ten thousand bags of gold[sup][b][/sup] was brought to him.[sup]25[/sup] Since he was not able to pay, the master ordered that he and his wife and his children and all that he had be sold to repay the debt.

[sup]26[/sup] “At this the servant fell on his knees before him. ‘Be patient with me,’ he begged, ‘and I will pay back everything.’ [sup]27[/sup] The servant’s master took pity on him, canceled the debt and let him go.
[sup]28[/sup] “But when that servant went out, he found one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred silver coins.[sup][c][/sup] He grabbed him and began to choke him. ‘Pay back what you owe me!’ he demanded.
[sup]29[/sup] “His fellow servant fell to his knees and begged him, ‘Be patient with me, and I will pay it back.’
[sup]30[/sup] “But he refused. Instead, he went off and had the man thrown into prison until he could pay the debt. [sup]31[/sup] When the other servants saw what had happened, they were outraged and went and told their master everything that had happened.

[sup]32[/sup] “Then the master called the servant in. ‘You wicked servant,’ he said, ‘I canceled all that debt of yours because you begged me to. [sup]33[/sup] Shouldn’t you have had mercy on your fellow servant just as I had on you?’ [sup]34[/sup] In anger his master handed him over to the jailers to be tortured, until he should pay back all he owed.
[sup]35[/sup] “This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you unless you forgive your brother or sister from your heart.

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
When you become a Christian you will learn how to forgive and it is easy. but if you are not it is hard to.

THE Gypsy

Jul 27, 2011
Earth
I was surprised to find out that 12 step programs have worked for me. I know they do not work for everyone. God plays a long role in AA - it is actually modeled on a Christian movement called the Oxford movement

I'm not surprised. Many people have the same results.

I worked with a gal in Ohio that was a great lady but very troubled. She took a trip to San Diego to "sit under" some guru she heard about that quickly morphed into her favorite, all knowing, person. She came back a new person. Totally changed in her personality and the way she approached life.

I don't believe anyone can argue with the positive effect that the Maharishi Yogi had on John Lennon and George Harrison, either. And there is a lot positive that can be said for Transcendental Meditation too. However, that does not change the fact that "Anyone that points anybody to anything other than the blood of Christ is barking up the wrong tree."

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
Speaking as a former addict........ My screen name comes from the whites on my knuckles as I was gripped up on the steering wheel. I was fighting the urge to go to the liquor store about a month sober. LOL, I'm surprised i didn't rip that thing off!

For one, I was neither spoiled or selfish. I started drinking as a way of "self medicating". I truely didn't know I was an alcoholic. I held down a job, took care of business and didn't get the shakes. It was a good 5 or 6 years into drinking when I realized I was an alcoholic. Addiction is something that sneaks up on a person.

While a person is on whatever it is they're addicted to, they are selfish. That's an understatement. Often times the person addicted honestly doesn't know they're addicted, or even acting abnormal.

The Lord delivered me from all of that. About a year ago I was having problems and turned to alcohol again. My I drank every day for 3 days. Apparently the Lord wasn't going to allow me to go down that path again. It's over now.

I know that even believers can become addicts. I believe the Lord can and will deliver them too.
From my experience, addiction is a part of the flesh. The difference in a believing addict and an unbelieving addict is being able to stop. The Lord gives wisdom and strength, delivery, and recovery. That doesn't make it all easy to quit either.

I feel sorry for addicts and for the people around them. Those who are addicts are deeply hurt and deeply lonely. They honestly don't know what to do.