Addiction

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
When you become a Christian you will learn how to forgive and it is easy. but if you are not it is hard to.

-- Oh, so close.
When you become a Christian it becomes easIER, not easy.
Yes, there are some sins against you that would have driven you up a wall when you were still in the world, but are easy to forgive when you are a Christian, but your blanket statement does not make it so for all sins.

Yes, all sins can be forgiven, but some require the God's help.

Corrie Ten Boom details an incident where, a couple of years after the end of WWII, she found herself face-to-face with her sadistic, abusive Concentration Camp jailer. She states he didn't ask for forgiveness directly, but commented rather on the fact that we are given a new chance in God.

She states she was feeling strong in her relationship with the Lord, but was shocked at the anger and hurt and near hatred she felt towards the man.
It took every ounce of willpower she had to eventually, after making the man wait for some time, raise her hand to shake his.

She was able to tell the man she forgave him, but states she had to work with God for quite some time to bring the actual forgivenes to pass.

I think she would question your assertation that just because you are a Christian, forgiveness comes "easy."

Vengle

Sep 22, 2011
Ohio
On page 90 of the Twelve Steps / Twelve Traditions it says, "It is a spiritual axiom that every time we are disturbed, no matter what the cause, there is something wrong with us."

I was heavy into psychology and read all of the AA, NA, CA books in the course of my work (I should specify that it was all volunteer work). That line I quoted above impressed me.

I recommend Stephen Covey's 'Seven Habits of Highly Effective People' for a Christian based perspective of psychology and paradigms. Albert Ellis also has good works on "Rational Emotive Belief Therapy' but it is more for the deeper student.

The best book I ever read on addiction is entitled, ‘The Addictive Personality: Understanding the Addictive Process and Compulsive Behavior’ by Craig Nakken.

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
I'm not in favor of the cult of the 12 steps aka AA. If AA worked, you wouldn't' have to "Keep comming back!". I also feel uncomfortable praying to Jesus while the guy next to me might be praying to the tree outside.

I spoke with a man in AA. I said, when I'm drunk, I hate myself. I look in the mirror and see nothing but a monster. His reply, "Well, if you don't see that same monster now youy're lying to yourself!"

Combine that with people that are still struggling after 20 years sober. The fact they claim you will always be an addict. The fact that they don't forgive themselves, and keep beating themselves up over the mistakes they made,,,,,,,, I never went back.

Reactions: Shirley

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are a lot of damaged people in AA - it might just be the only thing that works for them. I find AA helpful.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
I'm not in favor of the cult of the 12 steps aka AA. If AA worked, you wouldn't' have to "Keep comming back!". I also feel uncomfortable praying to Jesus while the guy next to me might be praying to the tree outside.

I spoke with a man in AA. I said, when I'm drunk, I hate myself. I look in the mirror and see nothing but a monster. His reply, "Well, if you don't see that same monster now youy're lying to yourself!"

Combine that with people that are still struggling after 20 years sober. The fact they claim you will always be an addict. The fact that they don't forgive themselves, and keep beating themselves up over the mistakes they made,,,,,,,, I never went back.

Excellent post WK, I too was an alcoholic for many years, the Lord delivered me from alcoholism and I went ten years without drinking, then one day about 6 years ago, while conversing with Jesus, He explained that He had also healed me of my weakness and that I need not fear falling into the same trap. So now I can drink alcohol again without abusing.

In those six years I have never been drunk or even close to it, nor do I drink everyday all praise to Jesus the healer.

Confess your weaknesses to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and produces wonderful results. James 5:16

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
-- Oh, so close.
When you become a Christian it becomes easIER, not easy.
Yes, there are some sins against you that would have driven you up a wall when you were still in the world, but are easy to forgive when you are a Christian, but your blanket statement does not make it so for all sins.

Yes, all sins can be forgiven, but some require the God's help.

Corrie Ten Boom details an incident where, a couple of years after the end of WWII, she found herself face-to-face with her sadistic, abusive Concentration Camp jailer. She states he didn't ask for forgiveness directly, but commented rather on the fact that we are given a new chance in God.

She states she was feeling strong in her relationship with the Lord, but was shocked at the anger and hurt and near hatred she felt towards the man.
It took every ounce of willpower she had to eventually, after making the man wait for some time, raise her hand to shake his.

She was able to tell the man she forgave him, but states she had to work with God for quite some time to bring the actual forgivenes to pass.

I think she would question your assertation that just because you are a Christian, forgiveness comes "easy."
Right you are dear Foreigner.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Great post Jiggy - thanks!