After the coming of Christ there is only one prayer for Christians

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jan 27, 2022
Frisco
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So called "Christians" today go in all kinds of unchristian directions to find a prayer to pray, and ignore the one and only prayer that Christ taught us.

Matthew 6:9-13
Jesus said: This then, is how you should pray:
Our Father who are in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily Bread and forgive us our sins, as we forgive those who trespass against us. Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

But most people ignore it! The most essential prayer in God's new covenant, is ignored!! Mostly because the meaning of Jesus' words in this prayer are misunderstood. Here is the proper translation of this prayer:

Our Father who are in heaven:
Getting God's attention with a respectful parental term of endearment.

Hollowed be Your Name:
May Your name always be Holy and respected.

Your Kingdom come:
Give us the Holy Spirit to reside in us. (Interpretation unknown to most)
Luke 17:21 Jesus: "...the kingdom of God is within you."
Luke‬ ‭18‬:‭17‬ “Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.”

In this verse, Jesus used the term "kingdom of God" with 2 distinct meanings: (1) Something we receive - the Holy Spirit, and (2) a place to enter.

Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven:
We submit to your will.

Give us this day our daily Bread and forgive us our sins:
Give us our daily "Bread of Life" for the forgiveness of sins, so we "wash our robes" and become "righteous." (Interpretation unknown to most)
John 6:32 Jesus: "...my Father gives you the true Bread from heaven."

As we forgive those who trespass against us:

Acknowledging that unless we forgive others, we would not be forgiven. Meaning we would not become "righteous" for that day and would not receive the Holy Spirit. (Interpretation unknown to most)

Lead us not into temptation:
We ask You not to test us with temptation, which may cause us to ignore the Holy Spirit and allow worldly spirits in instead.

But deliver us from evil:
Keep evil away from us. Don't let it find room in us, or grab hold within us, but instead fill us with the Holy Spirit.

Email me if you have questions or want more details on this.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So called "Christians" today go in all kinds of unchristian directions to find a prayer to pray, and ignore the one and only prayer that Christ taught us.

Matthew 6:9-13
Jesus said: This then, is how you should pray:
Our Father who are in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily Bread and forgive us our sins, as we forgive those who trespass against us. Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

But most people ignore it! The most essential prayer in God's new covenant, is ignored!! Mostly because the meaning of Jesus' words in this prayer are misunderstood. Here is the proper translation of this prayer:

Our Father who are in heaven:
Getting God's attention with a respectful parental term of endearment.

Hollowed be Your Name:
May Your name always be Holy and respected.

Your Kingdom come:
Give us the Holy Spirit to reside in us. (Interpretation unknown to most)
Luke‬ ‭18‬:‭17‬ “Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.”

In this verse, Jesus used the term "kingdom of God" with 2 distinct meanings: (1) Something we receive - the Holy Spirit, and (2) a place to enter.

Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven:
We submit to your will.

Give us this day our daily Bread and forgive us our sins:
Give us our daily "Bread of Life" for the forgiveness of sins, so we "wash our robes" and become "righteous." (Interpretation unknown to most)
John 6:32 Jesus: "...my Father gives you the true Bread from heaven."

As we forgive those who trespass against us:

Acknowledging that unless we forgive others, we would not be forgiven. Meaning we would not become "righteous" for that day and would not receive the Holy Spirit. (Interpretation unknown to most)

Lead us not into temptation:
We ask You not to test us with temptation, which may cause us to ignore the Holy Spirit and allow worldly spirits in instead.

But deliver us from evil:
Keep evil away from us. Don't let it find room in us, or grab hold within us, but instead fill us with the Holy Spirit.

Email me if you have questions or want more details on this.
One prayer?

Jesus said we are supposed to love God with all our hearts, minds, and souls. How do you do that when you are only allowed to say one prayer?

Paul said to pray constantly (1 Thessalonians 5:17). Are you telling us to repeat that same prayer all day, every day?

What if God has something he wants to talk to us about? Aren't we allowed to talk to him?

What if we have something we want to talk to God about? Aren't we allowed to?

Reactions: Nancy
Jan 27, 2022
Frisco
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you see the real meaning of the words in this prayer, you would change your position. If you are truly seeking God and His kingdomMatthew 6:33 by going back to the source, the Bible, then I beg you to look close at my explanation points, complete with Bible references. But if you’re only interested in defending your church's position, then you need not read any further. Please bear with my details as I explain to a wider audience.

1. ”Your kingdom come” - means give us the Holy Spirit.

2ndCorinthians 4:16 Paul said: …our Inner Person is being renewed day by day. (Inner Person = the Holy Spirit.)
Luke 11:13 Jesus said: "If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!
:handpointright: God gives the Holy Spirit to those who ask; no blanket Holy Spirit to all people!!

2. ”The Bread” - is the "Bread of life" that God gives for the forgiveness of sins.
Jesus said His sacrifice on the cross turned into a "Bread of life" that God the Father gives us, daily, when we ask Him, as in Jesus' prayer.
John 6:51 Jesus: I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats this bread will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.
John 6:53 Jesus: ...unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you.
John 6:33-35: For the Bread of God is the Bread that comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.” “Sir,” they said, “always give us this Bread.” Then Jesus declared, “I am the Bread of life..."
1-Corinthians‬ ‭10:17 Paul said: …there is one loaf… we all share the one loaf.

3. "Daily" - "Give us this day our daily Bread", is very clearly saying we should pray this prayer once a day.
God's daily check with people has been the same throughout history, hasn't changed. His daily walks in the garden with Adam and Eve, the manna in the desert that couldn't be hoarded more than one day, and the Jews daily sacrifices for forgiveness. Yes Jesus is the final sacrifice, but asking God for forgiveness, is still daily according to Jesus Christ, the Son of God.

4. ”as we forgive those who trespass against us” - if we don’t genuinely forgive everyone including enemies, God will not forgive us.
Matthew 6:14-15 Jesus: For if you forgive other people when they trespass against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their trespasses, your Father will not forgive your sins.
Mark 11:25 Jesus: "...And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive them, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins.”

And Jesus dedicated a whole parable to this required condition for our forgiveness, in Matthew 18:21-35!

5. Not the Catholic Eucharist - The Eucharist is a commemorating event. Jesus said: "...This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me, Luke 22:19".
The Lord's Prayer daily is God's new covenant. With only one condition for our forgiveness, to "forgive others". Not the penalty the priest gives you at confessions, of reciting 20 Hail Mary's.

The Lord's Prayer is a magnificent prayer with precious words perfectly word-smithed by Jesus Christ the Son of God, directed to God the Father. Jesus told us in Matthew 6:9-13: This then, is how you should pray. "Should" does not sound like a casual statement from Jesus. He said "If you love me keep my commands, John 14:15". If this is not one of His commands, what is? Do you want to be truly saved according to the Bible? Or keep defending your church?

So now that you see the precious meanings of the words in this prayer, do you still want to use your own words?
Yes, it is the same awesome prayer to pray once a day. But when compared to God's old covenant of sacrifices daily for forgiveness of sins, that the Jews performed everyday without complaining for thousands of years, then we can see clearly the greatness of this prayer!!

Bob Estey, about your comment, "pray without ceasing" doesn't mean keep praying continuously. Because Jesus said "And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words, Matthew 6:7". Reading the Bible always, and yes including the references you provided, would fit the "pray without ceasing" verse.

I have many more supporting Bible references. Trying to keep this post at reasonable size. Email me.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Lord's Prayer is a pattern.
Everything you want to talk about with Him should fall under one of those sections. Praise hopefulnees in the kingdom to come--for His will to be done here,forgive us, help us forgive others, keep us qwqy from temptaion, and deliver us from bad things and situations Everything is His forever..

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Lord's Prayer is a pattern.
Everything you want to talk about with Him should fall under one of those sections. Praise hopefulnees in the kingdom to come--for His will to be done here,forgive us, help us forgive others, keep us qwqy from temptaion, and deliver us from bad things and situations Everything is His forever..
I agree, the prayer is something I say during church as a template and it reminds me of how I should be praying. I don't think the Lord really cares for repetitious prayer though. He builds a personal relationship with us and wants to know what we are in need of and how we are doing too. Because he cares for us.

Jan 27, 2022
Frisco
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Cassandra, @dev553344,

Not to turn this into an argument. I'll ask one last time. Please, please, I beg of you, with all love and respect, please look at the 4 points I made in my last reply. Look close at the Bible references details. Jesus was very specific with His teachings and spent time with long parables to prove His points. So many profound parables from Him we still don't fully understand! Not to be brushed off with high-level statements from us. Are we Christians? Christian means fully understand what Jesus said.

If you still feel, the same after reading my 4 points, I'll disappear peacefully, Matthew 10:14.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I love the Lord's Prayer. Would you say we should pray that and not make any others @Christian Believer ? Or is it just that we need to focus on it more?

Do you have prayer requests?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Cassandra, @dev553344,

Not to turn this into an argument. I'll ask one last time. Please, please, I beg of you, with all love and respect, please look at the 4 points I made in my last reply. Look close at the Bible references details. Jesus was very specific with His teachings and spent time with long parables to prove His points. So many profound parables from Him we still don't fully understand! Not to be brushed off with high-level statements from us. Are we Christians? Christian means fully understand what Jesus said.

If you still feel, the same after reading my 4 points, I'll disappear peacefully, Matthew 10:14.
You've posted in the prayer forum which is not to be used for debating a topic. If you would like to discuss this doctrine you're trying to establish then I suggest moving it to another forum section like Christian Debates. I'll PM you with my answer. Cheers and welcome to the forum!

Jan 27, 2022
Frisco
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes I agree, my mistake. Wrong forum. I'll move it.
But maybe not all bad. Since you guys are helping people with prayers, it is good for you to know this information.
Thank you

Reactions: dev553344