All about Eternal Holy SOUL

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jan 9, 2024
Kitchener
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Canada
You won't find The Holy Bible asserting anything like 'eternal soul'. What it says is 'the soul that sins it will die' Ezekiel 18:20

Death is the/ a consequence of dysfunction. Sin is dysfunction, even rebellion.
The idea of an 'eternal soul' has been borrowed from paganism.....as have many concepts within mainstream Christianity and Judaism.
Now I get your important point. Thank you.

Jan 9, 2024
Kitchener
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Canada
In the most well known verse in the Bible, I think , John 3:16, it says that whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life. This means that those who do not believe on Him will perish. So souls are not immortal. Immortality is a gift from God.

Even 1 Tim 6:16 says that God alone hath immortality.

The Bible says

You have clarified a lot for me, Cassandra. Thank you.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
eternal means forever

Holy means righteous, or set apart

Soul would be our innermost self that will live eternally.

God is eternal (no beginning or end)

All mankind is eternal. It has a beginning but no end)

The question is, where will we spend that eternity after we leave this lifetime

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now I get your important point. Thank you.
His point is incorrect as the bible does indeed spell out the eternal nature of the soul, for instance people that are resurrected to live in heaven are there for eternity and those that are evil go away to everlasting punishment:

John 5:28 Do not marvel at this; for the hour is coming in which all who are in the graves will hear His voice 29 and come forth—those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation.

Matthew 25:44 “Then they also will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to You?’ 45 Then He will answer them, saying, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.’ 46 And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

• Love
Reactions: A shy girl Chloë

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
eternal means forever

Holy means righteous, or set apart

Soul would be our innermost self that will live eternally.

God is eternal (no beginning or end)

All mankind is eternal. It has a beginning but no end)

The question is, where will we spend that eternity after we leave this lifetime
I'm with you on that, as indeed the bible spells out that the spirit is eternal in my understanding, the body dies but all will be resurrected at some point.

Jan 9, 2024
Kitchener
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Canada
Hello @A shy girl Chloë, first off, since I see that you are a new member here, WELCOME TO CB:waves:

There's a site where many of us (Christians) go if we have a quick question about God, a verse or passage in the Bible, a theological topic, etc., called "GotQuestions.org" (which you are, of course, welcome to use as well :)).

Here are links to three of their articles that you may find useful, as they speak directly to the topic of your thread, and they use links to the Bible to show you why they teach what they do, in accord with historic Christianity (most of their articles are only 3-6 paragraphs long, just FYI, and some, like two of the three below, have videos attached if you'd prefer to listen to the article instead .. the video and article texts are identical, just FYI).

Here they are:

--Papa Smurf
p.s. - one point that I'd like to make clear (concerning what historic Christianity has always taught about the human soul and spirit), that both (spirit and soul) are considered eternal UNTO everlasting, NOT from everlasting. IOW, unlike God, who exists both from everlasting and to everlasting (He has neither beginning nor end, IOW), our souls are created by Him and, therefore, have a beginning, but no end.

Finally, historic/orthodox Christianity (Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox and Protestant) teaches that our souls are conscious during what we refer to as the "Intermediate State" (which is the time between our physical/bodily death at the end of our lives here, and our physical/bodily resurrection at the end of this age). So, while our dead bodies lie interred in the ground here, our souls, which remain alive and conscious after our bodies die, go to be with the Lord in Heaven .. see: Philippians 1:21-24; 2 Corinthians 5:6-9; Revelation 6:9-11.

Psalm 90
1 Lord, Thou hast been our dwelling-place in all generations.
2 Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever Thou hadst formed the earth and the world,
even from everlasting to everlasting, Thou art God.

Hello @Papa Smurf Nice to meet you. :)

I appreciate your very informative post.

Much has been clarified for me in this thread by all contributions.
I am grateful to all of you.

" Our souls are created by God and, therefore, have a beginning, but no end."

I guess ADAM got the first soul from God?​

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My questions are to all of you.

I guess ADAM got the first soul from God?​

Yes a Adam was the first soul and then Eve, but in a way that is not totally correct because animals I believe were created first, it's in the beginning of the Book of Genesis. Bible Gateway passage: Genesis 1 - New King James Version

Genesis 1:20 Then God said, “Let the waters abound with an abundance of living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the face of the firmament of the heavens.” 21 So God created great sea creatures and every living thing that moves, with which the waters abounded, according to their kind, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. 22 And God blessed them, saying, “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let birds multiply on the earth.” 23 So the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

24 Then God said, “Let the earth bring forth the living creature according to its kind: cattle and creeping thing and beast of the earth, each according to its kind”; and it was so. 25 And God made the beast of the earth according to its kind, cattle according to its kind, and everything that creeps on the earth according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.

26 Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” 27 So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.

• Love

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The word a "soul" is the approximation of the Hebrew word "nepesh" from almost 6000 years ago.

It means basically something that is alive and living. A nepesh can be a fish, a bird, beast, or human.

The "holy eternal soul" is something different from you and me.

In order to be eternally alive you will need a different body....your mind and "spirit" (not the same things) will be resurrected into a new eternal body in Heaven. Again, different cultural values and thoughts from a culture that existed on another continent from almost 6,000 years ago perpetuated by the scriptures.

However, you currently are a soul. It's not the part but the whole of your current existence.
You have a body, you have a mind, you have a spirit, and altogether you are a soul.

Hope this helps!

Augustin56

Apr 16, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here's a good video on the soul:

About 60-70 thousand years ago, mankind suddenly developed complex grammar, enumeration (counting), burying the dead, etc. The author contends that this is when the mankind recieved a soul. Very interesting video.

Here's another video.

This video talks about Near Death Experiences (NDE's) where people clinically die, have an experience, and come back. It shows that our consciences (souls) continue after bodily death.

FYI, the guy in these two videos, Fr. Robert Spitzer, used to be president of Gonzaga University. He has a PhD in Physics, and is blind.

• Love
Jan 9, 2024
Kitchener
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Canada
That is actually a subject of debate here. People have mixed opinions on the subject. I believe animals have souls and souls are how biological entities work. But the bible does not come right out and say that.

I accept that God created bodies of Adam and Eve, and gave them their souls.

After the Original Sin, Adam and Eve had Cain and Abel, and some daughters too, I guess.

My question is how Cain and Abel, and the rest of humanity, keep getting their souls from God?

Does God create every single human soul?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I accept that God created bodies of Adam and Eve, and gave them their souls.

After the Original Sin, Adam and Eve had Cain and Abel, and some daughters too, I guess.

My question is how Cain and Abel, and the rest of humanity, keep getting their souls from God?

Does God create every single human soul?
I don't think the mechanics behind man is entirely covered in the bible to my knowledge, the souls coming from God as the creator is covered in the bible.

But as far as how God creates the soul, I don't think he covered that except Adam and Eve. It says he created Adam from the dust of the earth and then breathed life into him.

Genesis 2:7 7 And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being.

That said, I am of the belief that God creates everything spiritually first and then places it into the bodies. And we know from the bible that he keeps the spirits in heaven. They then are brought to earth to live in the bodies of babies that grow into their designed stature. Death came from the fall of Adam and Eve, so we age beyond our designed stature.

The idea that everyone was spirits in heaven is covered here:

Revelation 12:3-4 3 And another sign appeared in heaven: behold, a great, fiery red dragon having seven heads and ten horns, and seven diadems on his heads. 4 His tail drew a third of the stars of heaven and threw them to the earth.

• Love

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And of course the whole ancient anthropology is somewhat lost in today's society...
We like to examine and dissect every little thing to death. (And so we will)

The Hebrew language is a metaphorical language used by a group of nomadic people. And just because we have a rough equivalent word today it usually requires a sentence or two to explain the nuances of the complete thoughts of how the word or concept actually was used.

A plant has no soul but a bird does...even though a plant lives or dies....it has no designation of having a soul in biblical literature.

The human soul is different from animal souls. When God created the rest of the animals He merely spoke them into existence. But when it came time to create man God formed man with his hands and then personally breathed life into the body. Mankind being the focus of the creation event and a much much more intimately involved creation event.

And there lies the difference.

• Love
Jan 9, 2024
Kitchener
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Canada
That said, I am of the belief that God creates everything spiritually first and then He places it into the bodies. And we know from the bible that he keeps the spirits in heaven. They then are brought to earth to live in the bodies of babies that grow into their designed stature. Death came from the fall of Adam and Eve, so we age beyond our designed stature.

OK, it makes sense.

@dev553344 please let me think about my next question. :)

Reactions: dev553344

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I mean that if it doesn't work for you,
then you don't have to keep suffering in this thread. :)

There are other Christians on this forum
who know the Holy Bible much better than you do, I hope.
As you've seen, you've gotten a cross section of answers to your question. And I believe you meant what you said at the first, that you ask the questions, "that's how it works", though you've changed it to, "if it doesn't work for me." Things like this make me curious about people.

The Bible shows a difference between "soul" and "spirit". Soul is the part of us that has thoughts, and feelings, and memories, it's the part of us that experiences and interacts with this world, this realm, and those in it.

Hebrews 4:12 KJV
12) For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

The spirit of a man is that part which experiences and interacts with God, and in the heavenly realm. Sin kills this part of us, and when Adam sinned, it was killed in all humanity, including you and I.

Romans 5:12-14 KJV
12) Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
13) (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.
14) Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.

But when we come to God in belief, accepting that what He tells us is true, and we choose to receive Him for ourselves, that part becomes alive again.

Ephesians 2:4-5 EMTV
4) But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us,
5) even when we were dead in transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved),

John 3:3-7 KJV
3) Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
4) Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
5) Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
6) That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
7) Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

Sin is the killer. You have to first admit to God that you agree with Him about your sin, that it's wrong, that you will die with no remedy. If you want to be forgiven, if you want to know God, and live with Him,

John 3:12-20 KJV
12) If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?
13) And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.
14) And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:
15) That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
16) For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
17) For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
18) He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
19) And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
20) For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.

There was a time in Israel's history when God sent poisonous snakes into their camp because of their rebellion - complaining - against God. God told Moses to make a bronze snake, and put it on a pole, and if anyone was bitten, they were to simply look at the snake on the pole, and they would not die.

Jesus gave this as an example, that he would be "lifted up" (an idiom for being crucified, like saying, "He got the chair", we don't mean Lazy Boy Recliner, we mean electric chair), and when we believe in Him, in the same way, we won't died.

He goes on to explain that people who won't believe in Him, it's because they want their sin, they don't want to be exposed, and have to give it up.

Do you believe Jesus was/is a real person? Do you believe He died on a cross, and then resurrected from the dead, so you could live?

Much love!

Last edited: