All about Eternal Holy SOUL

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jan 9, 2024
Kitchener
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Canada
Hello and warm greetings from Ontario, Canada.

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2024 to everyone.

I was born in an Agnostic family.

Well, me being an open-minded Agnostic,
I would like to learn from you all about Eternal Holy Soul.

• Love
Reactions: The Learner

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What do you already know about this? How did you arrive at that wording, "eternal holy soul"? What is that?

Much love!

• Love
Reactions: A shy girl Chloë
Jan 9, 2024
Kitchener
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Canada
What do you already know about this? How did you arrive at that wording, "eternal holy soul"? What is that?

Had I already known much about it, I would have not started this thread. :)

Whatever little I might happen to know about it,
I am happily wiling to let it go, and forget about it.

In this thread, it is me who asks questions. That's how it works. :)

I am here to learn from all of you.​

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum @A shy girl Chloë, it's good to hear from you. I will spell out what I see from studying the bible:

The soul as it relates to the bible teachings are these:

The soul is eternal, and if you accept Jesus as the savior and honor him then you please the Father God. And then you can be resurrected of the body into a new body that is celestial and be accepted into paradise and heaven. We become like the angels of heaven.

People that break the law are handled similar to people that break the laws of a nation, they are placed in spirit prison. Jesus preached to the people in spirit prison when he died on the cross. He then rose again on the third day. The purpose to preaching to the spirits in prison (which were murderers and other terrible crimes) was to allow them out and to be saved. (Not all Christians believe this, but it is certainly implied).

We are encouraged by Jesus to care for others in a loving way so that we will please Jesus and God the Father. And obey the commandments, which are somewhat even today similar to obeying the laws of nations that are good nations. And if God sees are good works he says he will reward us in heaven.

• Love
Jan 9, 2024
Kitchener
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Canada
That's how it works for you, you mean.

I mean that if it doesn't work for you,
then you don't have to keep suffering in this thread. :)

There are other Christians on this forum
who know the Holy Bible much better than you do, I hope.

Jan 9, 2024
Kitchener
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Canada
Welcome to the forum, A shy girl Chloë, it's good to hear from you. I will spell out what I see from studying the bible:

The soul is eternal, and if you accept Jesus as the savior and honor him then you please the Father God. And then you can be resurrected of the body into a new body that is celestial and be accepted into paradise and heaven. We become like the angels of heaven.
Thank you very much for your friendly welcome, @dev553344
Nice to meet you. :).

I accept everything you wrote to me in your reply.

1. The soul is eternal.

dev553344, I will go very slow, OK? I am warning you in advance, so it won't freak you out. :)

Is the soul also holy, like God is holy?​

• Love
Reactions: dev553344

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

1. The soul is eternal.

dev553344, I will go very slow, OK? I am warning you in advance, so it won't freak you out. :)

why the assumption that the soul is eternal?.....let alone holy?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

1. The soul is eternal.

The soul can be made holy thru the atonement of Jesus. But no souls usually aren't holy. People are people and raised as such by their parents, friends and family, schools, environment, etc. So we all have our faults and good points.

Holy is a word reserved for God the Father, Jesus the Christ, and the Holy Spirit of God. A person can be justified with God when we repent of our crimes against the laws of God, like stealing, etc. God (which is the Father, Son and Holy Spirit) loves us deeply and wants to reward us in life and after life and he requires is to desire to be good people. So we repent of being bad people when we do bad things and desire to be good like God is. Helping others and not hurting them.

God shares his holiness with us thru the Holy Spirit because Jesus the Christ died on the cross, broke death when he rose from the dead, and ascended to heaven. That made us to have the Holy Spirit comforter to be with us. What is the Holy Spirit, I will quote from the bible:

These things are holy:

Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.

If we do these things, like caring for people and not hurting them then we are acting holy.

• Love
Jan 9, 2024
Kitchener
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Canada
The soul can be made holy thru the atonement of Jesus. But no souls usually aren't holy. People are people and raised as such by their parents, friends and family, schools, environment, etc. So we all have our faults and good points.

Holy is a word reserved for God the Father, Jesus the Christ, and the Holy Spirit of God. A person can be justified with God when we repent of our crimes against the laws of God, like stealing, etc. God (which is the Father, Son and Holy Spirit) loves us deeply and wants to reward us in life and after life and he requires is to desire to be good people. So we repent of being bad people when we do bad things and desire to be good like God is. Helping others and not hurting them.

God shares his holiness with us thru the Holy Spirit because Jesus the Christ died on the cross, broke death when he rose from the dead, and ascended to heaven. That made us to have the Holy Spirit comforter to be with us. What is the Holy Spirit, I will quote from the bible:

These things are holy:

Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.

If we do these things, like caring for people and not hurting them then we are acting holy.

So far, so good. I accept everything of the above.

@dev553344 , I will see you tomorrow, my friend! :)

• Love
Reactions: dev553344

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You gotta love dev553344. He is absolutely one of my favorites here. ♥

In the most well known verse in the Bible, I think , John 3:16, it says that whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life. This means that those who do not believe on Him will perish. So souls are not immortal. Immortality is a gift from God.

Even 1 Tim 6:16 says that God alone hath immortality.

The Bible says

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You gotta love dev553344. He is absolutely one of my favorites here. ♥

In the most well known verse in the Bible, I think , John 3:16, it says that whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life. This means that those who do not believe on Him will perish. So souls are not immortal. Immortality is a gift from God.

Even 1 Tim 6:16 says that God alone hath immortality.

The Bible says

Thanks Cassandra, you are very pleasant to deal with here and one of the good members. You're one of my favorites as well.

Papa Smurf

Jul 6, 2023
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello @A shy girl Chloë, first off, since I see that you are a new member here, WELCOME TO CB:waves:

There's a site where many of us (Christians) go if we have a quick question about God, a verse or passage in the Bible, a theological topic, etc., called "GotQuestions.org" (which you are, of course, welcome to use as well :)).

Here are links to three of their articles that you may find useful, as they speak directly to the topic of your thread, and they use links to the Bible to show you why they teach what they do, in accord with historic Christianity (most of their articles are only 3-6 paragraphs long, just FYI, and some, like two of the three below, have videos attached if you'd prefer to listen to the article instead .. the video and article texts are identical, just FYI).

Here they are:

--Papa Smurf
p.s. - one point that I'd like to make clear (concerning what historic Christianity has always taught about the human soul and spirit), that both (spirit and soul) are considered eternal UNTO everlasting, NOT from everlasting. IOW, unlike God, who exists both from everlasting and to everlasting (He has neither beginning nor end, IOW), our souls are created by Him and, therefore, have a beginning, but no end.

Finally, historic/orthodox Christianity (Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox and Protestant) teaches that our souls are conscious during what we refer to as the "Intermediate State" (which is the time between our physical/bodily death at the end of our lives here, and our physical/bodily resurrection at the end of this age). So, while our dead bodies lie interred in the ground here, our souls, which remain alive and conscious after our bodies die, go to be with the Lord in Heaven .. see: Philippians 1:21-24; 2 Corinthians 5:6-9; Revelation 6:9-11.

Psalm 90
1 Lord, Thou hast been our dwelling-place in all generations.
2 Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever Thou hadst formed the earth and the world,
even from everlasting to everlasting, Thou art God.

Last edited:
  • Love

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What the Holy Bible says?

Is God eternal?
You won't find The Holy Bible asserting anything like 'eternal soul'. What it says is 'the soul that sins it will die' Ezekiel 18:20

Death is the/ a consequence of dysfunction. Sin is dysfunction, even rebellion.
The idea of an 'eternal soul' has been borrowed from paganism.....as have many concepts within mainstream Christianity and Judaism.

• Love

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You should not identify as an Agnostic since they believe nothing can be known about God ... but this notion is not set in stone for you, right. You sense there is something more to life. So, you are open to hear about God and that is an inner calling. You are seeking knowledge and came to the right place. You are a seeker, not an agnostic.
I wish I was there at 16, I didn't seek God until I was 35. Seek and you wAgnostic.

Knowledge of God, the Creator of all things, is difficult to comprehend. We need help. And we need Him to help us.
We need to come to Him in humility and drop all our doubts. A simple prayer may go like this: "God, if you are there, show me."
Faith in God comes by the WORD. So, if you are willing, get yourself a Bible and start reading. Where? The Book of John is frequently recommended to unbelievers. Why? When we want to know and have a clear conceptual picture of God, we look at Jesus. God came down from heaven and dwelt among us as a person, born of a virgin, Jesus, the Savior. He is holy, He is eternal and He loves you.
The purpose in life is for us to reconcile with God through Jesus.
You recognize something wrong in the world, in people, fighting, wars, lying, stealing murders, hate, coveting, etc. That is the nature of man, passed down through history from the first man. Sin is likened to a cancer, effecting our lives, behavior. It is a rebelliousness against God and misses the mark of perfection, which is holy. Holy means separate, set apart from evil.
We have this inner desire for things to be good all the time, but they aren't. When we experience bad and evil things, we begin to understand what good is and appreciate it when it comes along.
We are all born in sin and sin hundreds and thousands of times. They are like permanent stains on our souls. We can do nothing to get rid of them, which is why we need a Savior, to wash them away. Believe in Jesus, ask Him for forgiveness and he will cleanse you and give you eternal life.
God's plan for world is to change it, transform it, rid it of sin and evil, transform us into eternal beings who experience love and goodness all the time.
So get to know Jesus, He will change your life
. He is the one who is knocking on your door. You just opened it up, answered the calling. Take the next step, invite Him in.