All about Eternal Holy SOUL

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sure, it's been a pleasant talk, it's not often we get people that have genuine questions here. Thanks for that.
Well....
To be sure we get ALOT of people who talk AT us instead of WITH us....it gets repetitive and the expected norm.
I try to talk with people expecting a two way conversation....but often people only wish to acknowledge the parts they think they have issue with or think that its a chink in the armor of their explanation....everything gets ignored except for some minor detail or a detailed explanation gets wholesale discounted.

It is refreshing to have a normal conversation.

Reactions: dev553344

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I try to talk with people expecting a two way conversation....
That's something I look for myself. Someone who starts setting up rules on how it's going to go causes me to wonder why. I'm looking for the feel of sincerity in a dialog, with someone who honestly wants to have that dialog. Many come on under pretense of one thing when they are really here for something different.

Much love!

• Love
Reactions: JohnDB and Pearl

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's something I look for myself. Someone who starts setting up rules on how it's going to go causes me to wonder why. I'm looking for the feel of sincerity in a dialog, with someone who honestly wants to have that dialog. Many come on under pretense of one thing when they are really here for something different.

Much love!
Well,
I've noticed that amongst the guys most of the time at work. It gets to the point that you almost need a degree in psychology to understand what they are really whining about. Women tend to be somewhat better at times....but at other times are as baffling as football bats.

(Sorry to get off topic a bit here)

But from my experience,
Most of the "unchurched" have a perceived wall of inability to function inside Christian circles. And the few they believe they can function inside of are so crummy (theologically speaking) that no one believes in their devotion to God whatsoever.
They may claim that they don't believe that God will not forgive them....but the truth is that most Christians have their own language with its own nuances as well as fifty cent vocabularies that the rest of the world doesn't understand. People don't want to enter into a community where they feel awkward or where their "normal" behavior will get laughed at.

Then there's those that say one thing but then behave incongruous with their words. How is borderline abuse of children or blatant racial prejudice demonstrating loving-kindness that we claim is our foremost defining characteristic?

Obviously there are wolves among the sheep...and sometimes they are in leadership roles. It's very difficult to explain these things to the outsiders looking in.

Scriptures are difficult enough to explain to the "unchurched"....congregants are even more difficult. Together they become an impenetrable fortress wall.

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well,
I've noticed that amongst the guys most of the time at work. It gets to the point that you almost need a degree in psychology to understand what they are really whining about. Women tend to be somewhat better at times....but at other times are as baffling as football bats.

(Sorry to get off topic a bit here)

But from my experience,
Most of the "unchurched" have a perceived wall of inability to function inside Christian circles. And the few they believe they can function inside of are so crummy (theologically speaking) that no one believes in their devotion to God whatsoever.
They may claim that they don't believe that God will not forgive them....but the truth is that most Christians have their own language with its own nuances as well as fifty cent vocabularies that the rest of the world doesn't understand. People don't want to enter into a community where they feel awkward or where their "normal" behavior will get laughed at.

Then there's those that say one thing but then behave incongruous with their words. How is borderline abuse of children or blatant racial prejudice demonstrating loving-kindness that we claim is our foremost defining characteristic?

Obviously there are wolves among the sheep...and sometimes they are in leadership roles. It's very difficult to explain these things to the outsiders looking in.

Scriptures are difficult enough to explain to the "unchurched"....congregants are even more difficult. Together they become an impenetrable fortress wall.
There's only just so much someone will be able to understand about the Bible without first submitting themself to God. Until then for the most part it will be incomprehensible, but the parts about the Gospel will be understood. And then they have to make a choice whether to believe or not, and God doesn't play games.

But you are correct, we are indeed off topic!

Much love!

Reactions: JohnDB
Jan 9, 2024
Kitchener
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Canada
Sure, it's been a pleasant talk, it's not often we get people that have genuine questions here. Thanks for that.

Yes, it's been a surprisingly very pleasant talk to me. :)

It's not often that I bump into Christians that have genuine answers to my questions.

Somehow all my doubts disappeared, and all is clear.

@dev553344 I have no more questions about human soul. :)

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It's not often that I bump into Christians that have genuine answers to my questions.

Usually Dev55xxxxx (I just think "Dev" myself) marks, Pearl, a few others and myself tend to have the better answers for things.

We check in on varying schedules. I got a huge yard and "stuff" going on at church that keeps me busy often. (We just had a storm so I need to get back outside) I got strong-armed into early retirement that I'm grumbling about. So I try to keep offline but just can't for whatever reason.
But I've been in churches since I was 2 weeks old. Studied things independently since I was a 30-something. Even went to a parochial high school....no seminary degree but I ought to with the stuff between my ears. However, I don't like dealing with the politics of church people. I like just warming a pew and throwing rocks from the back of the auditorium. (Joke)

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Are you still refusing to answer questions? I've asked you a very important question above.

Much love!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is there anything else in the Old Testament that I should not misunderstand? :)
There's probably a ton that I couldn't cover in a thread. For beginners the New Testament is recommended, as a lot of the Old Testament was done away with via the New Covenant of Jesus the Christ. For instance animal sacrifices.

• Love
Reactions: A shy girl Chloë

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And the prince shall enter by the way of the porch of that gate without,
and shall stand by the post of the gate, and the priests shall prepare his burnt offering and his peace offerings, and he shall worship at the threshold of the gate: then he shall go forth; but the gate shall not be shut until the evening.

Who is the prince, in this prophecy by the prophet Ezekiel?
Well if it is talking about burnt offerings then it is someone that passed away a long time ago. Not sure it's relevant to the discussion.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It was to make the point, that you do not know what you are talking about.
5 posts and your ready to start bashing members that have been here for years. OK, I'll keep and eye on you then.

Reactions: marks

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
My questions are to all of you.

I guess ADAM got the first soul from God?​

Genesis 2:7
And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Notice, man became a living soul, he didn't receive one
In other words, we are souls, we don't have them.

Man = dust and energy from God = a living soul. Man becomes a conscious being.
Energy is not a conscious independent entity.

Example: a globe doesn't become a light until the power is switched on. Conversely, switch the power off, the light ceases to exist....it goes nowhere.

'Death' is the term for ceasing to exist.

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello and warm greetings from Ontario, Canada.

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2024 to everyone.

I was born in an Agnostic family.

Well, me being an open-minded Agnostic,
I would like to learn from you all about Eternal Holy Soul.
Rev 20:4 - And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was givenunto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus,and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image,neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they livedand reigned with Christ a thousand years.

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello and warm greetings from Ontario, Canada.

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2024 to everyone.

I was born in an Agnostic family.

Well, me being an open-minded Agnostic,
I would like to learn from you all about Eternal Holy Soul.
For the believer in Jesus Christ, the Bible tells us that after death believers’ souls/spirits are taken to heaven, because their sins were forgiven when they received Christ as Savior (John 3:16, 18, 36). For believers, death means being “away from the body and at home with the Lord” (2 Corinthians 5:6–8; Philippians 1:23). However, passages such as 1 Corinthians 15:50–54 and 1 Thessalonians 4:13–17 describe believers being resurrected and given glorified bodies. If believers go to be with Christ immediately after death, what is the purpose of this resurrection? It seems that, while the souls/spirits of believers go to be with Christ immediately at death, the physical body remains in the grave “sleeping.” At the resurrection of believers, the physical body is resurrected, glorified, and reunited with the soul/spirit. This reunited and glorified body-soul-spirit will be the state of existence for believers for eternity in the new heavens and new earth (Revelation 21—22).
Luk 23:43 - And Jesus said to him, “Assuredly, I say to you, today you will bewith Me in Paradise.”

What happens after death? | GotQuestions.org

www.gotquestions.org

There is abundant evidence in the scriptures that when a child of God dies he goes immediately to be with the Lord. Jesus said to the thief on the cross, “Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise” (Luke 23:43). This is an amazing display of grace. The man was dying because he was a convicted criminal; he deserved nothing. It was too late to turn over a new leaf, too late to be baptized, too late to join the church — but not too late for Jesus to save him and promise that he would be with him in Paradise. There would be no soul-sleeping, no intermediate state; upon death he would go directly to be with the Lord. We see another beautiful example of this truth in the death of Stephen. He had preached a powerful, convicting message. Yet the response of his listeners was, “When they heard these things, they were cut to the heart, and gnashed on him with their teeth” (Acts 7:54). Rather than being humbled and brought to repentance, they were angry and decided to kill the messenger. “But he, being full of the Holy Ghost, looked steadfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God” (Acts 7:56). What a way to die! As they were stoning him he looked into heaven and saw Jesus ready to welcome him home.Then we read the words of the Apostle Paul. “For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain” (Philippians 1:21). Paul viewed death not as extinction or soul-sleeping, but as a positive move to something that was better; he considered it gain. And then he said, “For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better: nevertheless to abide in the flesh is more needful for you” (Philippians 2:23-24). Paul was not depressed or despairing of life. He was willing to remain and minister to the Lord’s people, but his ultimate desire was to be with the Lord. And the reason dying was gain is that it meant being with the Lord. No intermediate state, no purgatory, no soul sleeping, but to be with the Lord.Paul writes at length in his second epistle to the Corinthians about the desire to be with the Lord. He points out that the afflictions of the present are actually light when weighed against the glory that is to come. And then he declares, “We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord” (2 Corinthians 5:8).
For God’s children, death is not a dismal defeat at the end of life but a home-going to be forever with the Lord.
We hear sermons about Heaven, we sing songs about Heaven, we say we believe in Heaven; but to contemplate what it will mean to be in the presence of Jesus Christ forever is beyond our ability to fully grasp. What a blessed hope we have to know that when we breathe out our last we are not going into some dark unknown region, but to be with Jesus Christ who loved us and gave himself for us!

Believers With the Lord | Baptist Bible Hour