ALL SCRIPTURE is God-breathed

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are too busy to read two screenfuls of words? How often do you read the Bible and how many chapters at a time?
I've read the Bible several times, cover to cover, and I read from it every day.

Would you agree that the purpose of the Bible is to help us get to know the Lord?

Papa Smurf

Jul 6, 2023
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did God really want Paul to say that women shouldn't speak when they are in a church? (1 Corinthians 14:33-36)
Hi Bob, here are a couple of thoughts about this. Have you ever been in or even heard of a church (today or in the past) where women are/were forbidden from speaking, even socially? That is, of course, a rethorical question ;)

You may also remember that the Apostle just finished instructing men ~AND~ women about praying and prophesying in church in Chapter 11 (which means that he just finished giving instructions to women to ‘speak’ in church).

Finally, I'm going to stop commenting about this here. While your topic is certainly worthy of a discussion, and it at least touches on this thread’s topic, it needs a thread of its own for a number of different reasons, not the least of which is the fact that continuing to discuss it here will, in all likelihood, derail Tony's thread.

God bless you!!

--David

Last edited:

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

ALL SCRIPTURE is God-breathed​

Yeahhhhh! God breathed! ....he walked and talked and gave grace after grace. '.....yet we esteemed him not....' Isa. 53:3
and.......' all the promises of God in Him are Yes, and in Him Amen, to the glory of God through us.' 1 Corinthians 1:20

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I've read the Bible several times, cover to cover, and I read from it every day.

Would you agree that the purpose of the Bible is to help us get to know the Lord?
My neighbour tells me he has read it five times......never asks any questions......and hasn't got any pertinent clue :IDK::hmhehm
which he admits....but he does have a truckload of opinions.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My neighbour tells me he has read it five times......never asks any questions......and hasn't got any pertinent clue :IDK::hmhehm
I was asked, "How often do you read the Bible and how many chapters at a time?" I thought it was appropriate that I should respond.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are too busy to read two screenfuls of words? How often do you read the Bible and how many chapters at a time?

I have a question for you two:

Paul told us to pray constantly (1 Thess 5:17). Once you've read the Bible cover to cover, is it better to pray constantly, as Paul told us to do, or is it better to read the Bible constantly?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I have a question for you two:

Paul told us to pray constantly (1 Thess 5:17). Once you've read the Bible cover to cover, is it better to pray constantly, as Paul told us to do, or is it better to read the Bible constantly?
Prayer is a constant state of being.
Reading the scriptures without understanding them is the activity religious folk engage.
It is thought that if they engage in repetition they have a better chance of being heard by God.

It is better to read two texts and understand them than a whole book without understanding.
It is better to have ones consciousness continually connected with God than to engage 'prayers' repetitively.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Prayer is a constant state of being.
Reading the scriptures without understanding them is the activity religious folk engage.
It is thought that if they engage in repetition they have a better chance of being heard by God.

It is better to read two texts and understand them than a whole book without understanding.
It is better to have ones consciousness continually connected with God than to engage 'prayers' repetitively.
I agree that prayer is a constant state of being. I have to assume, then, that you listen to what God says to you. When you've reached this stage in your life, what role does the Bible play?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I agree that prayer is a constant state of being. I have to assume, then, that you listen to what God says to you. When you've reached this stage in your life, what role does the Bible play?
The scriptures continue to inform and encourage us to understand how high and wide and deep the love/ affection/ tenderness of God is for us and to not loose heart for he has promised to be with us till the end of the age.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The scriptures continue to inform and encourage us to understand how high and wide and deep the love/ affection/ tenderness of God is for us and to not loose heart for he has promised to be with us till the end of the age.
Which is more convincing of "how high and wide and deep the love/ affection/ tenderness of God is for us and to not loose heart for he has promised to be with us till the end of the age" - a relationship with the Lord or the Bible?

Papa Smurf

Jul 6, 2023
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Which is more convincing of "how high and wide and deep the love/ affection/ tenderness of God is for us and to not loose heart for he has promised to be with us till the end of the age" - a relationship with the Lord or the Bible?
That's an interesting contrast (God ~vs~ the word of God), but can we truly have (in a rubber meeting the road sense, at least) one w/o the other :contemplate:

On the one hand, as unbelievers, we could not understand and/or accept the things of God as anything other than foolishness .. e.g. 1 Corinthians 2:14 (because we were unable to do so from His spiritual POV).

However, once we became believers and received the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, as well the mind of Christ (such that we were finally able to understand and accept the things of God) how far would our newfound ability to know and understand Him have taken us if we only had general revelation to look to? How could we know much of anything about Him, about who He really is and what He's like, about what He expects of us, about the great and wonderous promises that He's made to us, about what the present and the future holds for us as His children, etc., apart from all of the special revelation that's found in the Bible :contemplate:

--Papa Smurf

1 Corinthians 2
12 We have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may know the things freely given to us by God,
13 which things we also speak, not in words taught by human wisdom, but in those taught by the Spirit, combining spiritual thoughts with spiritual words.
14 But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised.
15 But he who is spiritual appraises all things, yet he himself is appraised by no one.
16 For WHO HAS KNOWN THE MIND OF THE LORD, THAT HE WILL INSTRUCT HIM? But we have the mind of Christ.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: L.A.M.B.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

That's an interesting contrast (God ~vs~ the word of God), but can we truly have (in a rubber meeting the road sense, at least) one w/o the other :contemplate:

On the one hand, as unbelievers, we could not understand and/or accept the things of God as anything other than foolishness .. e.g. 1 Corinthians 2:14 (because we couldn't do so from His spiritual POV), but once we became believers and received the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, as well the mind of Christ (such that we were finally able to understand and accept all of the things of God from His POV), how can we, then, know anything about Him, about who He really is and what He's like, about what He expects of us, about the great and wonderous promises that He's made to us, etc., etc., apart from His word :contemplate:

--Papa Smurf

1 Corinthians 2
12 We have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may know the things freely given to us by God,
13 which things we also speak, not in words taught by human wisdom, but in those taught by the Spirit, combining spiritual thoughts with spiritual words.
14 But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised.
15 But he who is spiritual appraises all things, yet he himself is appraised by no one.
16 For WHO HAS KNOWN THE MIND OF THE LORD, THAT HE WILL INSTRUCT HIM? But we have the mind of Christ.
I don't think having the Bible, without God, would be much of an existence.

Papa Smurf

Jul 6, 2023
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Which is more convincing of "how high and wide and deep the love/ affection/ tenderness of God is for us and to not loose heart for he has promised to be with us till the end of the age" - a relationship with the Lord or the Bible? I don't think having the Bible, without God, would be much of an existence.
Hello again Bob, if it was not for God's breathed word to us, we could not have a personal relationship with Him, because how can you have a relationship with someone who you do not know :contemplate:

Also, we would have no true knowledge or understanding of things like the deep love/affection/tenderness that He has towards us, and/or of the great and wondrous promises that He's made to us, etc.

God bless you!!

--Papa Smurf

Lord Please Talk To Me.jpg

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello again Bob, if it was not for God's breathed word to us, we could not have a personal relationship with Him, because how can you have a relationship with someone who you do not know :contemplate:

Also, we would have no true knowledge or understanding of things like the deep love/affection/tenderness that He has towards us, and/or of the great and wondrous promises that He's made to us, etc.

God bless you!!

--Papa Smurf

I think if the Lord wanted, he could establish a relationship with someone without the Bible.