ALL SCRIPTURE is God-breathed

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What did Paul mean by "all Scripture"?

Biblehub lists that Paul wrote his first letter to the Corinthians in 54 AD, 1 Corinthians 2:

13 This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, explaining spiritual realities with Spirit-taught words.
He claimed spirit inspiration. Around this time, he also wrote in 1 Thessalonians 2:

13 we also thank God constantly for this, that when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men but as what it really is, the word of God, which is at work in you believers.
Paul was not shy from claiming the authority of the word of God. Furthermore, the gospels were written around the same time.

In 67 AD, Paul wrote in 2 Timothy 3:

16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,
By "all Scripture", did Paul only have the Old Testament in mind?

Paul had the OT in mind. Moreover, I think he claimed the new scriptural writings produced by him and others as God-breathed as well.

I would say that all Scripture, the Old and the New Testaments, is God-breathed.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Biblehub lists that Paul wrote his first letter to the Corinthians in 54 AD, 1 Corinthians 2:

He claimed spirit inspiration. Around this time, he also wrote in 1 Thessalonians 2:

Paul was not shy from claiming the authority of the word of God. Furthermore, the gospels were written around the same time.

Paul had the OT in mind. Moreover, I think he claimed the new scriptural writings produced by him and others as God-breathed as well.

I would say that all Scripture, the Old and the New Testaments, is God-breathed.
Yes, the Prophets of the OT and the Apostles of the NT both realized that they had a specific mandate from God to proclaim the word of God specifically given to them. So they were confident of their message.

Even more, the Apostles lived with Jesus for 3.5 years, and were able to ascertain exactly what their commission was, or what their Gospel message was. They could confidently deliver the word of God to others directly from the "horses' mouth." The Prophets, on the other hand, could receive direct revelations or dreams from God, in order to determine the validity of their messages.

Not everything the Prophets or Apostles wrote would be "Scripture," because only that which was intended to deliver God's word could be viewed as Scripture. For example, they could write messages that had nothing to do with a particular word from God, but could be simple correspondence.

Much of the books we've received as "Scripture" has authors that declared that the word of God was being carried and delivered. For example, the Prophets would say, "thus says the Lord." In the NT Paul made a point of addressing an entire church in order to explain his Gospel in detail.

The people of God in both testaments were able to come to conclusions regarding Scripture, or not. However, there are books that were received as Scripture in both testaments that probably didn't belong in the canon, if for no other reason than the people who participate in this process are sometimes corrupt or misled. Over time, problems here tend to be worked out.

Papa Smurf

Jul 6, 2023
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello @TonyChanYT, et al, here's something to consider. It seems to me that the Apostle Peter clearly had both Testaments in mind when he wrote the following about the Apostle Paul's Epistles,

2 Peter 3
15 Consider that our Lord’s patience brings salvation, just as our beloved brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom that God gave him.
16 He writes this way in all of his letters, speaking in them about such matters. Some parts of his letters are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction.​

God bless you!!

--Papa Smurf

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Can you explain what "God-breathed" means?

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Si9mple. what was writtne was directly inspired by god and free of any human error.

that does not mean as in automatic writing or the writers went into some kind of trance, but that God inspired the thoughts that were penned.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Si9mple. what was writtne was directly inspired by god and free of any human error.

that does not mean as in automatic writing or the writers went into some kind of trance, but that God inspired the thoughts that were penned.
Why not say that God "inspired the entire Bible," rather than God "breathed the entire Bible?"

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

That is correct. Furthermore, God's word is under His providence and not that of man, or even the church (as the body does not rule over the Head).

Even so, many church leaders are trained to the contrary, that all scripture is [not] God-breathed or inspired by God, but is first subject to genre. In other words, certain seminary colleges teach that if a book is generally historic or poetic for example, then it is not instructional or prophetic, etc.. Unfortunately.

Papa Smurf

Jul 6, 2023
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why not say that God "inspired the entire Bible," rather than God "breathed the entire Bible?"
Hi Bob, "God-breathed" is the literal translation of θεόπνευστος (transliterated "Theo-pneustos"). It means "given by the inspriation of God" and is translated in varying ways as such (2 Timothy 3:16) in different Bibles, but "God-breathed" (which is being used more often now) is found in not only our more literal translations, but in a number of our paraphrases, as well (the most recent addition being the NASB's new/2021 LSB or Legacy Standard Bible).

This is conjecture on my part, but I believe that the recent increase in popularity of "God-breathed" (apart from the fact that it is the literal translation of
θεόπνευστος) is due in large part to the more precise nature of the term, especially in pointing us to the special kind of inspriation that the Apostle speaks of in 2 Timothy 3:16, specifically "verbal plenary inspiration", by which we mean that every word in the Bible is inspired by God (not simply its concepts and ideas, etc.). This means that the Bible (the writing of which was "superintended" by the Holy Spirit, from cover to cover) says EXACTLY what God wanted it to say, word by word by word (one of my teachers called it, "jot and tittle" inspriation .. e.g. Matthew 5:18 ;)

God bless you!!

--Papa Smurf
p.s. - BTW, "the contents of the Scriptures" (or as you said, "God, inspired the entire Bible") is another, correct way of translating
θεόπνευστος, just FYI.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScottA

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Bob, "God-breathed" is the literal translation of θεόπνευστος (transliterated "Theo-pneustos"). It means "given by the inspriation of God" and is translated in varying ways as such (2 Timothy 3:16) in different Bibles, but "God-breathed" (which is being used more often now) is found in not only our more literal translations, but in a number of our paraphrases, as well (the most recent addition being the NASB's new/2021 LSB or Legacy Standard Bible).

This is conjecture on my part, but I believe that the recent increase in popularity of "God-breathed" (apart from the fact that it is the literal translation of
θεόπνευστος) is due in large part to the more precise nature of the term, especially in pointing us to the special kind of inspriation that the Apostle speaks of in 2 Timothy 3:16, specifically "verbal plenary inspiration", by which we mean that every word in the Bible is inspired by God (not simply its concepts and ideas, etc.). This means that the Bible (the writing of which was "superintended" by the Holy Spirit, from cover to cover) says EXACTLY what God wanted it to say, word by word by word (one of my teachers called it, "jot and tittle" inspriation .. e.g. Matthew 5:18 ;)

God bless you!!

--Papa Smurf
p.s. - BTW, "the contents of the Scriptures" (or as you said, "God, inspired the entire Bible") is another, correct way of translating
θεόπνευστος, just FYI.
Where does it say that "God-breathed" means "given by the inspiration of God"?

Papa Smurf

Jul 6, 2023
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where does it say that "God-breathed" means "given by the inspiration of God"?
Hello again Bob, I believe that "given by the inspriation of God" is the wording that is actually used by the KJV and the NKJV. It's also a phrase that is used to define θεόπνευστος in some of our Greek lexicons and word studies.

--Papa Smurf

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello again Bob, I believe that "given by the inspriation of God" is the wording that is actually used by the KJV and the NKJV. It's also a phrase that is used to define θεόπνευστος in some of our Greek lexicons and word studies.

--Papa Smurf
I think that "given by the inspiration of God" sounds better than "God-breathed."

Papa Smurf

Jul 6, 2023
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think that "given by the inspiration of God" sounds better than "God-breathed."
I agree, however, look what the use of it (the literal translation of that one word) did, it got us all talk'n, yes?

And I think that's a very good thing
:Zek: (plus, it gave me an excuse for using the giant two-thumbs up emoticon :)).

--Papa Smurf
p.s. - 2 Timothy 3:16 is the only time that θεόπνευστος/"God-breathed" is used in the Bible, so I'm wondering if God, through the pen of the Apostle, may have used it to point us to something that we needed to take special note of, and consider more carefully and fully than we otherwise would have :contemplate:

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

“God-breathed” Spirit?

John 6:63 It is the spirit that quickens; the flesh profits nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

1 Corinthians 2:13 And we impart this in words not taught by human wisdom but taught by the Spirit, interpreting spiritual truths to those who are spiritual.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree, however, look what the use of it (the literal translation of that one word) did, it got us all talk'n, yes?

And I think that's a very good thing
:Zek: (plus, it gave me an excuse for using the giant two-thumbs up emoticon :)).

--Papa Smurf
Did God really want Paul to say that women shouldn't speak when they are in a church? (1 Corinthians 14:33-36)

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
because 2 millenia of different languages. We say God inspired, but the original writers would say God breathed! Same thing said in 2 different ways.