Americans are unhappier now than they have been in 50 years

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So do you personally guarantee that no one is going to get sick from the virus from now on?
I wonder how many votes Trump may lose in the next election in school districts that opened and then found the virus broke out and the schools closed again almost immediately. I don't put all the blame on Trump for that; but there will be people who do put part of the blame on him. They will say, "My kid got sick and then my whole family got sick because Trump wanted the schools open." It would have been better for Trump, I think, if he had stayed out of that debate and said, "We hope schools can reopen, but school boards will have to decide when they think it's safe."

He could lose Georgia since they took his advice seriously and reopened their schools. He's ahead in the polls now in Georgia; but that could change if enough parents are annoyed by this.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So you would be happy to take responsibility for the sickness of anyone who on your advice ignored the distancing measures?
As I already stated, if the HCQ package was available to anyone and everyone, chances are nothing would happen. Several people have publicly stated that HCQ saved their lives.

If trillions of dollars went towards economic relief, then a few hundred thousand dollars for FREE HCQ would be a drop in the bucket.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I wonder how many votes Trump may lose in the next election in school districts that opened and then found the virus broke out and the schools closed again almost immediately. I don't put all the blame on Trump for that; but there will be people who do put part of the blame on him. They will say, "My kid got sick and then my whole family got sick because Trump wanted the schools open." It would have been better for Trump, I think, if he had stayed out of that debate and said, "We hope schools can reopen, but school boards will have to decide when they think it's safe."

He could lose Georgia since they took his advice seriously and reopened their schools. He's ahead in the polls now in Georgia; but that could change if enough parents are annoyed by this.
Up here in Canada the various boards in the Canadian provinces seem to have been rather cautious, anyway.

Reactions: Giuliano

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
As I already stated, if the HCQ package was available to anyone and everyone, chances are nothing would happen. Several people have publicly stated that HCQ saved their lives.

If trillions of dollars went towards economic relief, then a few hundred thousand dollars for FREE HCQ would be a drop in the bucket.
Dollars don't stop someone getting sick from a virus if he or she doesn't take precautions they should have.

But you are of course entitled to your opinion about how tax dollars should be spent. American citizens are, especially; I'm not sure of your own citizenship; I'm Canadian myself.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not at all. Didn't Biden just finish telling the world that he would shut down America if he were president? Therefore Trump could have gone in the opposite direction and ORDERED the opening up of America.
Actually, Biden said something like that but he didn't say that. You missed the nuances.

joe Biden says he would shut down US to stop coronavirus if scientists recommended it - CNNPolitics

Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden said, if elected, he would be willing to shut down the country again should there be a second wave of coronavirus in the US and scientists recommend the move to slow its spread.

"I would shut it down. I would listen to the scientists," the former vice president told ABC News' David Muir during a joint interview with his running mate Sen. Kamala Harris set to air in full Sunday night.

Biden said he would "be prepared to do whatever it takes to save lives, because we cannot get the country moving until we control the virus."

He called it the "fundamental flaw" of the Trump administration's handling of the pandemic, which has claimed the lives of more than 175,000 Americans.

See the difference?
And he does not need to worry about his enemies since they will hate him regardless of what he does (or does not) do.
Trump seems to have thought the way you do so he never made an effort to win people over to his side. He never tried to be kind with people when they said unkind things about him. A wise President ignores many things people say about him as not worth his attention. I would have advised Trump to ignore the remarks from AOC and other Democrats on the far-left. As not worth his paying attention to. Instead he thought he had to fight back. They won. Trump still had his supporters, but he drove other people away from him. The people on the far left wanted to brawl with him, and he went along with their game. If the far left people were black, Latino or Muslim, they then could paint him as a racist. That meant more blacks and Latinos and Muslims would side with them. They wanted that division and Trump gave it to them.

A smart President wouldn't even spend his time reading nasty comments from minor opposition people trying to get attention -- it looks bad, very bad, to me that Trump wastes his time reading what AOC says about him. Doesn't he have better things to do? If he does read what she writes, couldn't he keep quiet -- and if someone asks him about it, shrug it off saying something like, "I don't think she likes me. I'd be surprised if she said something nice about me." No need to attack back.

Many Presidents are more popular at the end of their first term than at the beginning. They managed to win people over who didn't vote for them the first time. Many of them win their second term by bigger margins than their first. They didn't do that by assuming the people who didn't vote for them were their enemies. No, they charmed them and won them over.

Trump made the mistake of not making a serious effort to charm others over. His problem now is that he's losing support among the people who voted for him the first time. That's the problem too since he won by very narrow margins in four key states -- and losing voters in those means he'll lose this time. He couldn't afford to lose even 2% of his supporters in Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Florida. And he did not make an effort to win over Clinton voters in states where she won narrowly: New Hampshire, Minnesota, Nevada and Maine. He seemed to think he could win a second term by hanging onto the people who voted for him the first time, so he didn't bother trying to be charming with other people. He should have been trying to win a second term with a bigger margin.

Maybe he could have learned something by studying Obama's two elections. Obama could have done more in his first term to be charming with people who didn't vote for him. He managed to win a second term but with a lower percentage of the vote and fewer votes in the Electoral College.
I can see why that happened too. I did not like Obama at all in his first term. I thought he did much better in his second. That's when I found things about him I could like. For one thing, he had insulted people in Pennsylvania where I live -- and he never apologized for, never said he had misunderstood us. His remarks about people in small towns was ridiculous to me, saying whites and blacks didn't live together in small towns. What did he know? At the time, I lived in a small town in Pennsylvania and had black neighbors on both sides of me with no problems. I thought Obama was nuts. He certainly was talking about something he didn't know about. To make it even worse, he said that to rich white people in San Francisco as if the rich white people in liberal San Francisco were so great. There are very few black people living in San Francisco. In my view, they can say they're not racists, but facts tell me they have race problems. Obama looked like a lunatic to me talking to the predominantly segregated rich whites in San Francisco talking about how segregated small towns in Pennsylvania were. He wasn't in touch, that's for sure, at least in his first term. He was still growing into the job -- and as Michelle Obama put, Trump doesn't to be growing into the job, he can't. It never dawned on him that he's the President of all the American people. It took a while for Obama to get to that point, I don't see any progress coming from Trump on it. He has made the country more divided than ever. People are now squabbling about the most stupid little things as if they really matter. It's as if they want to fight about something and will over the dumbest trifles. Yes, I think Trump is partly to blame since the President sets the tone.

Trump talks about rigged elections -- with no evidence -- but his supporters go into a panic and the Democrats go on the attack.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
And I doubt PM Trudeau is going to get blamed either way.
In Canada it's the Provinces that have statutory responsibility for health and safety administration. Unkindly, but with a modicum of accuracy, the Prime Minister's constitutional position has been described as that of chief waiter to the Provinces; unlike the American Presidency, the office is not widely regarded as being a sort of larger-than-life, superhuman role which can offer instant, lasting solutions to everyone's gripes and problems (I'm not sure that it's truly this way in the US, either...)

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Canada it's the Provinces that have statutory responsibility for health and safety administration. Unkindly, but with a modicum of accuracy, the Prime Minister's constitutional position has been described as that of chief waiter to the Provinces; unlike the American Presidency, the office is not widely regarded as being a sort of larger-than-life, superhuman role which can offer instant, lasting solutions to everyone's gripes and problems (I'm not sure that it's truly this way in the US, either...)
To a very large extent, it's supposed to be that way in the US too. The federal government is supposed to be largely advisory, in charge of grants and keeping statistics. Trump interfered a little too much in how things are supposed to work. The part of the government meant to coordinate things in the case of a pandemic got shut down. Trump said he didn't know how that happened. . . . At any rate, when the states wanted advice and direction from the federal government, lots of times they didn't know who to ask. It wasn't that way under Obama. If Trump didn't make the decision to get rid of that piece of government, who did? How could they do it without Trump knowing about it? I still don't know and think we deserve to know.

If it wasn't Trump, whoever did it didn't do Trump any favors. It left his administration crippled when the pandemic struck. Many of the states had done a terrible job too and were completely unprepared, having shortages of several things that had been recommended long ago. Confusion ensued. The states blamed Trump and he blamed them. They started to compete with each other for supplies, resulting in too much of some things in some states and a shortage in others. Better coordination at the federal level would surely have helped.

How long does it take to get results from tests in Canada? In most parts of the US, you have to wait for days and days to get results. That really makes things worse since it's important to know right away if someone has the virus so you can test the people he's been in contact with. Contact tracing might as well not exist if you have to wait a week to get results -- the virus will have spread if you wait that long. It's not feasible either to isolate someone being tested while you wait for results -- you'd have to lock up their entire families, all their neighbors and everyone they work with.

I heard on the news yesterday, someone is finally getting a test on the market that gives results much faster. It's a saliva test. It's cheaper and it doesn't involve nasty swabs being pushed up your nose. Right now, one method of saliva testing takes five hours for the results to be known, not five days.

It's almost criminal if you ask me since I know Europeans were able to test and get results within 36 hours at airports using the older swab method. They had better or faster testing facilities. How is it then that American labs doing the same testing were so slow about it? Who knows?
Trump must not know -- I think if he knew, he would have done something about it since it's making him look bad.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
To a very large extent, it's supposed to be that way in the US too. The federal government is supposed to be largely advisory, in charge of grants and keeping statistics. Trump interfered a little too much in how things are supposed to work. The part of the government meant to coordinate things in the case of a pandemic got shut down. Trump said he didn't know how that happened. . . . At any rate, when the states wanted advice and direction from the federal government, lots of times they didn't know who to ask. It wasn't that way under Obama. If Trump didn't make the decision to get rid of that piece of government, who did? How could they do it without Trump knowing about it? I still don't know and think we deserve to know.

If it wasn't Trump, whoever did it didn't do Trump any favors. It left his administration crippled when the pandemic struck. Many of the states had done a terrible job too and were completely unprepared, having shortages of several things that had been recommended long ago. Confusion ensued. The states blamed Trump and he blamed them. They started to compete with each other for supplies, resulting in too much of some things in some states and a shortage in others. Better coordination at the federal level would surely have helped.

How long does it take to get results from tests in Canada? In most parts of the US, you have to wait for days and days to get results. That really makes things worse since it's important to know right away if someone has the virus so you can test the people he's been in contact with. Contact tracing might as well not exist if you have to wait a week to get results -- the virus will have spread if you wait that long. It's not feasible either to isolate someone being tested while you wait for results -- you'd have to lock up their entire families, all their neighbors and everyone they work with.

I heard on the news yesterday, someone is finally getting a test on the market that gives results much faster. It's a saliva test. It's cheaper and it doesn't involve nasty swabs being pushed up your nose. Right now, one method of saliva testing takes five hours for the results to be known, not five days.

It's almost criminal if you ask me since I know Europeans were able to test and get results within 36 hours at airports using the older swab method. They had better or faster testing facilities. How is it then that American labs doing the same testing were so slow about it? Who knows?
Trump must not know -- I think if he knew, he would have done something about it since it's making him look bad.
@Giuliano To answer your question, IDK...

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Giuliano To answer your question, IDK...
Who knows much nowadays? We're told the US post office is going broke and needs money. I would think if we vote by mail, that would help the post office. The Democrats say however that they need lots of money from the federal government in order to do their job. Trump says he doesn't want to give them money. It's almost as if the Democrats want the post office to be dependent on federal money while Republicans want it to go broke so they can privatize it. They just mailed out millions of census forms. No problem. They should have made money by doing that. Shouldn't we all be glad they could handle it? So why are people saying they can't handle all the mailed in votes? I feel as if I'm in Alice in Wonderland.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Who knows much nowadays? We're told the US post office is going broke and needs money. I would think if we vote by mail, that would help the post office. The Democrats say however that they need lots of money from the federal government in order to do their job. Trump says he doesn't want to give them money. It's almost as if the Democrats want the post office to be dependent on federal money while Republicans want it to go broke so they can privatize it. They just mailed out millions of census forms. No problem. They should have made money by doing that. Shouldn't we all be glad they could handle it? So why are people saying they can't handle all the mailed in votes? I feel as if I'm in Alice in Wonderland.
@Giuliano You mean, the cycle of narratives to help ppl complain against the government in order that they can more fully receive and depend upon the largesse of the government and be helped to complain against the government in order that they.........zzzzzzzz :rolleyes:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Giuliano PS: Pierre Trudeau up here used to talk about corporate welfare bums.

If you owe the government an overdue $1000, you get a fine. If you owe the government $100 million, you own the government...

Or, in the language of the robber barons of the Gilded Age, the corporations collecting "protection" money...(Don't forget to wear the shades...)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Giuliano PS: The Mob Museum, Las Vegas, is a joint effort from ppl of a Mob and FBI background. Some might find their collaboration surprising, but then it's never stopped them before...