An Intimate Personal Relationship with Christ

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
An evangelical friend complained, "I know I'm saved by grace through faith in Christ's atonement. But I have never experienced a persona

An evangelical friend pointed out that the phrase "personal relationship with Christ" is not found in Scripture.
He has not experienced such a relationship and wouldn't know what that even means. But he believes in salvation by
grace through faith in Christ's atoning death and considers that sufficient.
(1) How would you justify a "personal relationship with Christ" from Scripture?
(2) Do we need such an experience to be saved?
(3) How do you know you have an intimate personal relationship with Christ?

l
Do we need an intimate "personal relationship" with Christ to be saved?
How do you know you have a personal relationship with Christ?

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
An evangelical friend complained, "I know I'm saved by grace through faith in Christ's atonement. But I have never experienced a persona

An evangelical friend pointed out that the phrase "personal relationship with Christ" is not found in Scripture.
He has not experienced such a relationship and wouldn't know what that even means. But he believes in salvation by
Hi @Berserk

The basis for a personal relationship with Christ is found in several passages of Scripture. One of the most well-known verses is John 3:16, which says, “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.” Another verse that speaks to this relationship is Revelation 3:20, where Jesus says, “Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.”

There are many more passages in the Bible that speak to the idea of having a personal relationship with Christ. For example, John 14:6 says, “Jesus said to him, ‘I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.’” Another verse that speaks to this relationship is John 15:15, where Jesus says, “No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you.”

In addition to these verses, there are many other passages in the Bible that speak to the idea of having a personal relationship with Christ. For example:

Joh 6:56 Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood remains in Me, and I in him.

Joh 15:4-7
Remain in Me, and I will remain in you. Just as no branch can bear fruit by itself unless it remains in the vine, neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in Me. (5) I am the vine and you are the branches. The one who remains in Me, and I in him, will bear much fruit. For apart from Me you can do nothing. (6) If anyone does not remain in Me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers. Such branches are gathered up, thrown into the fire, and burned. (7) If you remain in Me and My words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.

Romans 5:8 says, “But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”

Galatians 5:22-23 speaks of the fruit of the Spirit that comes from having a relationship with Christ: “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.”

Col 1:27
To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:

There are more . . . It is quite obvious from Scripture that a personal relationship with Christ is integral to Christian discipleship.

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

l
Hello, scripture says ‘that I might know Him’ it is this ‘knowing of Him’ that is considered to be be one’s ‘personal relationship’ just put forth with different words, both describing the same truth of ‘knowing Him’ …..

This is what I hold as true, may you be blessed in your ‘knowing of Him’…..

A fellow believer, Not me

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

When our ways please God, He and His Son come to dwell in us.

Saved from sin? yes....with the idea of a higher ranking in the next age. These are the saints
Inheriting salvation? No. Many will be saved through God's mercy. These are the justified (righteous)
You know that when you hear His voice from within. To come out from under the law we need to AT LEAST be led by the Spirit.

Last edited:

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

l
An intimate and personal relationship with Christ comes thru the comforter or Holy Ghost. And it happens when we help others by loving them and when we love God thru worship services and such. Which is obeying the commandments, or the Royal Law of God.

This is all supported in scripture in various verses, it states that Christ is in us and we in him.

John 14:21 He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him.”

Reactions: marks

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, scripture says ‘that I might know Him’ it is this ‘knowing of Him’ that is considered to be be one’s ‘personal relationship’ just put forth with different words, both describing the same truth of ‘knowing Him’ …..

This is what I hold as true, may you be blessed in your ‘knowing of Him’…..

A fellow believer, Not me
Yes, knowing him as opposed to just knowing ABOUT him.

Zachariah

Mar 20, 2023
Belief in government = belief in slavery.
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

l
Christ is a flesh representation of Truth. When we align ourself with Truth and morality we become a living representation or "incarnation". If you have a relationship with real Truth (which is not limited to Christianity mind you) you will know. If you feel slightly deficient, you are completely deficient.

Truth is to know. Belief is always blind.

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
m
Hi @Berserk

The basis for a personal relationship with Christ is found in several passages of Scripture. One of the most well-known verses is John 3:16, which says, “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.” Another verse that speaks to this relationship is Revelation 3:20, where Jesus says, “Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.”

There are many more passages in the Bible that speak to the idea of having a personal relationship with Christ. For example, John 14:6 says, “Jesus said to him, ‘I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.’” Another verse that speaks to this relationship is John 15:15, where Jesus says, “No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you.”

In addition to these verses, there are many other passages in the Bible that speak to the idea of having a personal relationship with Christ. For example:

Joh 6:56 Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood remains in Me, and I in him.

Joh 15:4-7
Remain in Me, and I will remain in you. Just as no branch can bear fruit by itself unless it remains in the vine, neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in Me. (5) I am the vine and you are the branches. The one who remains in Me, and I in him, will bear much fruit. For apart from Me you can do nothing. (6) If anyone does not remain in Me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers. Such branches are gathered up, thrown into the fire, and burned. (7) If you remain in Me and My words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.

Romans 5:8 says, “But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”

Galatians 5:22-23 speaks of the fruit of the Spirit that comes from having a relationship with Christ: “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.”

Col 1:27
To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:

There are more . . . It is quite obvious from Scripture that a personal relationship with Christ is integral to Christian discipleship.
My friend would dismiss all of the texts you cite as articles of faith, not references to an identifiable intimate personal experiece.
The one cited text worth discussing is Rev. 3:20. but that verse addresses a particular church as a whole, not individual believers.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Beware and be on gaurd . For many have claimed to have a personal relationship with JESUS .
And yet its with carnal emotions , not the biblical Christ . They twist HIS teachings
omit the severity of GOD . Act as though muslims and everyone is fine on their path .
They embrace the wrong rainbow . THEY DONT KNOW CHRIST , they know only fleshly emotiions
they pass off as the SPIRIT and they THINK they have a personal relationship with Christ .
NOPE . The SPIRIT is our connection . The problem is most are following another spirit
a contrary jesus , a dead end gospel that wont save them . They love sins and still embrace darkness .
THEY DO NOT KNOW HIM , heck they dont even know about HIM .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh that God may bless you, and that we all might be blessed with the fruit of that endeavor…..

Be blessed in your knowing of Him, a fellow servant, Not me
Always remember if our personal jesus contradicts THE BIBLICAL ONE , we are not following HIM
nor do we have a personal relationship with HIM . many still love their sins . They still embrace the old man
and instead of reckoning themselves dead to sin , they simply honor the old man and say we are at liberty to do so .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
m

My friend would dismiss all of the texts you cite as articles of faith, not references to an identifiable intimate personal experiece.
The one cited text worth discussing is Rev. 3:20. but that verse addresses a particular church as a whole, not individual believers.
Your friend is out on a limb cutting the branch they are sitting on, so destined to fall if they continue their error.

Reactions: Keturah

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Always remember if our personal jesus contradicts THE BIBLICAL ONE , we are not following HIM
nor do we have a personal relationship with HIM . many still love their sins . They still embrace the old man
and instead of reckoning themselves dead to sin , they simply honor the old man and say we are at liberty to do so .
May the touch stone of our relationship with Jesus be righteousness, for if it is, we will never be led astray…..

Be blessed in your relationship with the King of Righteousness…..

A fellow servant, Not me

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My suspicion has been confirmed that most evangelicals aren't clear about which verses support the possibility of an intimate personal relationship specifically with Christ. I'm not talking about NT promises of an indwelling Christ or Holy Spirit. The 2 exceptions are:

"Those who love me will be loved by my Father and I will love them AND REVEAL MYSELF TO THEM (John 14:21)." --quoted by dev
"I want to know Him and the power of His resurrection (Philippians 3:10)." --quoted by Not Me
Revelation 3:20 applies to only to a personal relationship with Christ in church and in that sense qualifies as a third exception.
But something Jesus says repeatedly also implies the possibility of a personal relationship with Christ. Can you identify this repeated saying of Jesus? I'll wait a day or so and then post it.

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My suspicion has been confirmed that most evangelicals aren't clear about which verses support the possibility of an intimate personal relationship specifically with Christ. I'm not talking about NT promises of an indwelling Christ or Holy Spirit. The 2 exceptions are:

"Those who love me will be loved by my Father and I will love them AND REVEAL MYSELF TO THEM (John 14:21)."
"I want to know Him and the power of His resurrection (Philippians 3:10)."
John 16:32 KJV
Behold, the hour cometh, yea, is now come, that ye shall be scattered, every man to his own, and shall leave me alone: and yet I am not alone, because the Father is with me.

Jesus explained to the Disciples that even though they were all going leave Him, leaving Him alone, that even so He wouldn't be alone, the Father is with Him. The Father being with Him was to Him companionship as were the disciples.

John 14:23 KJV
Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

John 14:16 KJV
And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

Jesus, and the Father, and the Comforter, make their home with us.

Much love!

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 16:32 KJV
Behold, the hour cometh, yea, is now come, that ye shall be scattered, every man to his own, and shall leave me alone: and yet I am not alone, because the Father is with me.

Jesus explained to the Disciples that even though they were all going leave Him, leaving Him alone, that even so He wouldn't be alone, the Father is with Him. The Father being with Him was to Him companionship as were the disciples.

John 14:23 KJV
Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

John 14:16 KJV
And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

Jesus, and the Father, and the Comforter, make their home with us.

Much love!
The verses you express the doctrine of an indwelling Spirit and Christ, but not necessarily an intimate personal relationship that transcends a mere matter of faith and theology.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Revelation 3:14-22 KJV
14) And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;

This letter was addressed to the messenger of the church, an individual.

20) Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

If any man . . . any individual . . . the pronouns are all singular.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The verses you express the doctrine of an indwelling Spirit and Christ, but not necessarily an intimate personal relationship that transcends a mere matter of faith and theology.
No, they show that the relationship we have is personal, as are our relationships with each other.

Do you know His voice inside you?

Much love!

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I've always liked the Good Shepherd image and the concept of Christ as personally caring for His flock, knowing each of us by name.

Joh 10:2-5 But he who enters by the door is the shepherd of the sheep. (3) To him the doorkeeper opens, and the sheep hear his voice; and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. (4) And when he brings out his own sheep, he goes before them; and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice. (5) Yet they will by no means follow a stranger, but will flee from him, for they do not know the voice of strangers."

Reactions: Keturah

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

l
The disciples had a personal relationship with Jesus because He is a Person. They spent 3 years with Him on a daily basis. Jesus told them He would not leave them as orphans but would send them Another Helper in His place who would be with them always and in them- the Holy Spirit of promise for all believers which began at Pentecost. The Holy Spirit like Jesus is a Person who gives us a personal relationship with Christ just the same as they had at Pentecost.

Jesus used personal pronouns when referring to the Holy Spirit:

"But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you. "And He, when He comes, will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment; concerning sin, because they do not believe in Me; and concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father and you no longer see Me; and concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world has been judged. "I have many more things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. "But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come. "He will glorify Me, for He will take of Mine and will disclose it to you. "All things that the Father has are Mine; therefore I said that He takes of Mine and will disclose it to you. "(John 16:7-15).

The Holy Spirit below does things that only a person can do,

He leads (Matt. 4:1).
He is called God (Acts 5:3-4).
He helps and comforts (John 14:16, 16:7).
He convicts of sin (John 16:17).
He gives testimony of Jesus (John 15:26).
He teaches, guides and brings to remembrance (John 14:26, 16:13).
He speaks and instructs (Acts 8:29; 10:19; John 16:13).
He hears and speaks (John 16:13, Acts 28:25-27).
He can be lied to and tested (Acts 5:3-4,9).
He sends and gives life (Acts 13:4, John 3:6, Gen 1:3).
He is a witness (Acts 5:32)
He restrains (2 Thess. 2:7).
He prevents (Acts 16:6-7).
The Spirit "said" to Philip and Peter(Acts 8:29, 10:19).
Peter said he was "told" by the Spirit (Acts 11:12).
The Holy Spirit "solemnly testifies" (Acts 20:23).
He made some of the early Christians overseers to shepherd the Church. (Acts 20:28).
He wills (Acts 13:2).
He interprets our prayers (Rom. 8:26).
He knows and communicates (1 Cor. 2:11; Rom. 8:27).
He reveals (Eph. 3:5).
He has a will-He decides, chooses and distributes the Gifts to the church (1 Cor. 12:11).
He can be grieved (Eph. 4:30).

hope this helps !!!