An Unknown Tongue

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This will be the hardest subject to approach. What is an unknown tongue? Where does this unknown language come from? Is it not God's language? We must first ask: who would have spoken the most in an unknown tongue? Who would have spoken the most in Spirit and mystery. That wouldn't be Paul, right? Would it not have been Jesus Christ that spoke God's language more than any other man...considering He was God?

What does it mean to babble? Did Christ babble when He spoke the mysteries of God? Did Jesus not speak plain words that were as good as foreign (scrambled) for how they were received by some? Yes, Christ certainly would have understood every man's native tongue but would He not have also understood the Father's pure language clearly?

This is going to be a lot of verses that are necessary.

Matthew 26:59-63
[59] Now the chief priests, and elders, and all the council, sought false witness against Jesus, to put him to death; [60] But found none: yea, though many false witnesses came, yet found they none. At the last came two false witnesses, [61] And said, This fellow said, I am able to destroy the temple of God, and to build it in three days. [62] And the high priest arose, and said unto him, Answerest thou nothing? what is it which these witness against thee? [63] But Jesus held his peace. And the high priest answered and said unto him, I adjure thee by the living God, that thou tell us whether thou be the Christ, the Son of God.

Jesus spoke foreign. His words as much as scrambled babblings spoken in Spirit. Those with ears that could not hear, could not understand even though Jesus spoke plainly and clearly.

John 2:19-22
[19] Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up. [20] Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days? [21] But he spake of the temple of his body. [22] When therefore he was risen from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this unto them; and they believed the scripture, and the word which Jesus had said.

The disciples remembered....

John 16:19-25
[19] Now Jesus knew that they were desirous to ask him, and said unto them, Do ye enquire among yourselves of that I said, A little while, and ye shall not see me: and again, a little while, and ye shall see me? [20] Verily, verily, I say unto you, That ye shall weep and lament, but the world shall rejoice: and ye shall be sorrowful, but your sorrow shall be turned into joy. [21] A woman when she is in travail hath sorrow, because her hour is come: but as soon as she is delivered of the child, she remembereth no more the anguish, for joy that a man is born into the world. [22] And ye now therefore have sorrow: but I will see you again, and your heart shall rejoice, and your joy no man taketh from you. [23] And in that day ye shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you. [24] Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full. [25] These things have I spoken unto you in proverbs: but the time cometh, when I shall no more speak unto you in proverbs, but I shall shew you plainly of the Father.

"but the time comes when I shall no more speak unto you in proverbs, but I shall shew you plainly of the Father."

The book of proverbs is wisdom. "Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom." Wisdom is a language, a language of Spirit. Song of Solomon. To some ears is perverted. To other ears it is clear and pure. The Son of God spoke Spirit fluently.

John 6:53-60
[53] Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you. [54] Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day. [55] For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed. [56] He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him. [57] As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me. [58] This is that bread which came down from heaven: not as your fathers did eat manna, and are dead: he that eateth of this bread shall live for ever. [59] These things said he in the synagogue, as he taught in Capernaum. [60] Many therefore of his disciples, when they had heard this , said, This is an hard saying; who can hear it?

John 6:67-68
[67] Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away? [68] Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.

Words of eternal life...Spirit.

Zephaniah 3:9
[9] For then will I turn to the people a pure language, that they may all call upon the name of the Lord , to serve him with one consent.

Isn't that "one consent" by the blood of Jesus Christ. The only way we enter.

1 Corinthians 4:1-4
[1] Let a man so account of us, as of the ministers of Christ, and stewards of the mysteries of God. [2] Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful. [3] But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged of you, or of man's judgment: yea, I judge not mine own self. [4] For I know nothing by myself; yet am I not hereby justified: but he that judgeth me is the Lord.

We hear it over and over:

Mark 7:16
[16] If any man have ears to hear, let him hear.

Revelation 2:7
[7] He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.

What the Spirit saith...goes with "He that hath an ear". Who is doing the talking? Who is hearing?

Revelation 2:28-29
[28] And I will give him the morning star. [29] He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

Revelation 3:12-13
[12] Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name. [13] He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

A new pure language.

Revelation 22:17
[17] And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.

Beautiful! Together: the Spirit and the bride say, Come.

"Hear" what? Christ. Spirit. Speak a new tongue and it might-as-well be foreign since it is not of the world but of a new creation.

2 Timothy 2:15-16
[15] Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. [16] But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.

Approved unto God, how? By a concordance? When we are told it doesn't come from man's wisdom or given to the wise. - again beautiful: "that needeth not to be ashamed" (Romans 9:33)

1 Corinthians 14:13
[13] Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.

Last edited:
Reactions: FHII and amadeus

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think love is the unknown language. It can be expressed in many different ways. During worship, it has been known to manifest as ecolalia. I tend to think trying to attach meaning to to specific utterances of ecolalia is as elusive as trying find human DNA in the Eucharist.

Reactions: Helen

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is an unknown tongue??? According to Paul, someone speaking in tongues is deemed as "unknown" unless there is an interpreter, and if there is no interpreter, he is actually supposed to keep his mouth shut during church service and keep it between him and God only as it edifies no one but himself. Jesus Christ didn't speak in some "unknown" or "alien" dialect. Everybody understood him loud and clear, maybe not in spirit, but they understood the words he uttered in their own language. God is not the author of confusion and disorder yet we see it in the church today when someone just blurts out gibberish during Church service, and the ensuing praise from the crowd as they pretend to understand a word he said, what a joke. :confused:

Paul on speaking tongues, letting the Bible speak for itself:

(1 Corinthians 14:1-40) "Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy. {2}For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries. {3} But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort. {4} He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church. {5} I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying. {6} Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine? {7} And even things without life giving sound, whether pipe or harp, except they give a distinction in the sounds, how shall it be known what is piped or harped? {8} For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle? {9} So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air. {10} There are, it may be, so many kinds of voices in the world, and none of them is without signification. {11} Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaketh a barbarian, and he that speaketh shall be a barbarian unto me. {12} Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church. {13} Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret. {14} For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful. {15} What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also. {16} Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest? {17} For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified. {18} I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all: {19} Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue. {20} Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men. {21} In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord. {22} Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe. {23} If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad? {24} But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or one unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all: {25} And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on his face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth. {26} How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying. {27} If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret. {28} But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God. {29} Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge. {30} If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace. {31} For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted. {32} And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets. {33} For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints. {34} Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. {35} And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church. {36} What? came the word of God out from you? or came it unto you only? {37} If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord. {38} But if any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant. {39} Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues. {40} Let all things be done decently and in order."

Reactions: brakelite

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is an unknown tongue??? According to Paul, someone speaking in tongues is deemed as "unknown" unless there is an interpreter, and if there is no interpreter, he is actually supposed to keep his mouth shut during church service and keep it between him and God only as it edifies no one but himself. Jesus Christ didn't speak in some "unknown" or "alien" dialect. Everybody understood him loud and clear, maybe not in spirit, but they understood the words he uttered in their own language. God is not the author of confusion and disorder yet we see it in the church today when someone just blurts out gibberish during Church service, and the ensuing praise from the crowd as they pretend to understand a word he said, what a joke. :confused:

Yes. I agree that there are guidelines for public worship

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. I agree that there are guidelines for public worship

Yep, guidelines clearly set forth by Paul that are not followed by a lot of churches today. And, there is another thing that people need to be aware of concerning tongues. As far as I can tell, the only one that scripture implies truly will speak in an "unknown tongue" is the second beast of Revelation that "rises out of the earth". John says he won't be speaking as an Englishmen, or in Spanish, or in Mandarin, etc, but as a "dragon".

(Revelation 13:11-12) "And I beheld another beast coming up out of the earth; and he had two horns like a lamb, and he spake as a dragon. {12} And he exerciseth all the power of the first beast before him, and causeth the earth and them which dwell therein to worship the first beast, whose deadly wound was healed."

When God sends his angel to preach the gospel to every single soul in the very last days, he doesn't speak in some foreign dialect, but in their own native languages. It shows just how intelligent angels really are.

(Revelation 14:6-7) "And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people, {7} Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters."

Believers trying to prop up "Unknown tongues" as some sign from God that's meant to edify the believer has been a bone of contention for me for a long time, and its time the myths surrounding tongue speech be cast into the pit where it belongs.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yep, guidelines clearly set forth by Paul that are not followed by a lot of churches today. And, there is another thing that people need to be aware of concerning tongues. As far as I can tell, the only one that scripture implies truly will speak in an "unknown tongue" is the second beast of Revelation that "rises out of the earth". John says he won't be speaking as an Englishmen, or in Spanish, or in Mandarin, etc, but as a "dragon".

When God sends his angel to preach the gospel to every single soul in the very last days, he doesn't speak in some foreign dialect, but in their own native languages.

Believers trying to prop up "Unknown tongues" as some sign from God that's meant to edify the believer has been a bone of contention for me for a long time, and its time the myths surrounding tongue speech be cast into the pit where it belongs.

Speaking in tongues in public worship tends to make me uncomfortable. Private worship is another story

Reactions: Helen

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Speaking in tongues in public worship tends to make me uncomfortable. Private worship is another story

It should make you uncomfortable if not outright annoyed like it does me. If there is no interpreter, then he has no business opening his mouth to begin with. And I'm sure the second beast of Revelation will make lots of believers very unconformable with his "dragon" speech.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Dcopymope, I'm sorry. It doesn't seem we are speaking of the same thing. To be honest, I'm also uncomfortable with what takes place in the church when repetitions are spoken. It frightens me and makes me go in the opposite direction.

1 Corinthians 14:21
[21] In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.

[9] For then will I turn to the people a pure language, that they may all call upon the name of the Lord , to serve him with one consent.

What is this pure (undefiled) language then? Can you explain what you believe it to be? You have already said what you believe it is not.

John 16:25
[25] These things have I spoken unto you in proverbs: but the time cometh, when I shall no more speak unto you in proverbs, but I shall shew you plainly of the Father.

This I can tell you, three years ago when I first picked up God's Word...it was in another language that I couldn't understand. Proverbs made no sense. Do you know how many people say they don't read His word because they can't comprehend it? Does that mean they never will or can't without someone else teaching it to them? Why does The Lord say He will no longer speak to us in Proverbs? Why give it to babes? How does it confound the wise?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

One last question. Do you think Jesus Christ spoke in a pure language, a language undefiled by "man's wisdom" and corruption?

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One last question. Do you think Jesus Christ spoke in a pure language, a language undefiled by "man's wisdom" and corruption?
I don't know. Sometimes he spoke clearly...sometimes in confusing parables.

Interesting...3 yrs ago ..picked up God's Word [the Bible?] it was in another language...I don't know what that means...i have never heard anyone say that, with respectful curiousity.

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dcopymope, I'm sorry. It doesn't seem we are speaking of the same thing. To be honest, I'm also uncomfortable with what takes place in the church when repetitions are spoken. It frightens me and makes me go in the opposite direction.

1 Corinthians 14:21
[21] In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.

What is this pure (undefiled) language then? Can you explain what you believe it to be? You have already said what you believe it is not.

John 16:25
[25] These things have I spoken unto you in proverbs: but the time cometh, when I shall no more speak unto you in proverbs, but I shall shew you plainly of the Father.

This I can tell you, three years ago when I first picked up God's Word...it was in another language that I couldn't understand. Proverbs made no sense. Do you know how many people say they don't read His word because they can't comprehend it? Does that mean they never will or can't without someone else teaching it to them? Why does The Lord say He will no longer speak to us in Proverbs? Why give it to babes? How does it confound the wise?

As far as the pure language bit is concerned, we have to remember that the world spoke one language before God changed it into many at the tower of Babel. Quite a few people believe that this may be referring to the Lord restoring that one language or a language similar to it so that all tongues can serve the Lord with one accord. No interpreter's will be necessary as everyone will understand each other. This would occur during the millennial reign considering the verse before it.

(Zephaniah 3:8-9) "¶ Therefore wait ye upon me, saith the LORD, until the day that I rise up to the prey: for my determination is to gather the nations, that I may assemble the kingdoms, to pour upon them mine indignation, even all my fierce anger: for all the earth shall be devoured with the fire of my jealousy. {9} For then will I turn to the people a pure language, that they may all call upon the name of the LORD, to serve him with one consent........"

(Zephaniah 3:14-20) "¶ Sing, O daughter of Zion; shout, O Israel; be glad and rejoice with all the heart, O daughter of Jerusalem. {15} The LORD hath taken away thy judgments, he hath cast out thine enemy: the king of Israel, even the LORD, is in the midst of thee: thou shalt not see evil any more. {16} In that day it shall be said to Jerusalem, Fear thou not: and to Zion, Let not thine hands be slack. {17} The LORD thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; he will save, he will rejoice over thee with joy; he will rest in his love, he will joy over thee with singing. {18} I will gather them that are sorrowful for the solemn assembly, who are of thee, to whom the reproach of it was a burden. {19} Behold, at that time I will undo all that afflict thee: and I will save her that halteth, and gather her that was driven out; and I will get them praise and fame in every land where they have been put to shame. {20} At that time will I bring you again, even in the time that I gather you: for I will make you a name and a praise among all people of the earth, when I turn back your captivity before your eyes, saith the LORD."

Perhaps, although I don't think it was the same "pure language" the prophet Zephaniah was referring to as it seems to only occur after his second coming.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Interesting...3 yrs ago ..picked up God's Word [the Bible?] it was in another language...I don't know what that means...i have never heard anyone say that, with respectful curiousity.

I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. It was the same as what people say to me now when referring to the Word, "It just doesn't make any sense." For a year I would read and read and I can only compare it to as if I were trying to read Spanish (I don't speak Spanish). The relationship was there but I wanted nothing more then to hear what God has to say. To be able to read the words of someone very close to you. Up to that point our conversations were one sided, I did all the talking. Frustration and doubt built until one day I broke down. If I had to know Greek or Hebrew or know all the historical facts or be good with concordances, if I had to have twenty years of study or be a scholar...then I told God, He lied because I was exactly the kind of person with no understanding He promised to teach. It was different after that. It was as if someone had handed me a book written in Spanish and I could speak Spanish.

Hope that makes sense.

Point is: God promises to give it(Himself) to those that desperately need His help. He never said He expected us to do it all on our own. When someone tells me they have a relationship with God, they love Him and they want to read His word but are intimated, I try to encourage them to ask Him to teach them. It is not based off man's intellect but God's. The Spirit of God is a good teacher and can teach anyone, reguardless of where they are. Why want to be taught of God?

2 Timothy 3:14-17
[14] But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them ; [15] And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. [16] All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: [17] That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As far as the pure language bit is concerned, we have to remember that the world spoke one language before God changed it into many at the tower of Babel. Quite a few people believe that this may be referring to the Lord restoring that one language or a language similar to it so that all tongues can serve the Lord with one accord. No interpreter's will be necessary as everyone will understand each other. This would occur during the millennial reign considering the verse before it.

Will they simply understand each other while each person still speak in their own native tongue? So there will be many languages and division? Or will they all speak the same language? As before the Tower of Babel.

Consider: He says "he that has ears to hear" which, wouldn't that mean, if you need ears to hear...then it is something new, something the world hasn't heard?

1 John 4:5-6
[5] They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them. [6] We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.

What are we speaking that the world can not hear? Is it not Spirit? Is not the Spirit already pure? The world hears the world. Those of Christ hear us, because we are not of this world but of a new creation. Then we speak a new language not heard by the ears of the world?

Did Jesus Christ speak the mysteries of God? Then did He not speak in an unknown tongue?

Matthew 13:11
[11] He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.

1 Corinthians 14:2
[2] For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him ; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

1 Corinthians 14:13
[13] Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.

Did Paul speak the mysteries of God? But in Love what Paul wanted was for others to also speak the mysteries of God? That is what Paul stresses over and over: what good does speaking mystery do, if it is not fruitful in love.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands

you dunno what what means? you never heard anyone say what?
prolly me, but i can't define "what" there exactly, ty

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This will be the hardest subject to approach. What is an unknown tongue? Where does this unknown language come from? Is it not God's language?

No such thing as an "unknown tongue" in God's Word.

In 1 Corinthians, the KJV translators added the word "unknown" in their translation; it is not in the Greek NT manuscripts. And since then, deceived generations have taken off with it thinking Paul was speaking of the cloven tongue of Pentecost when he was not.

Zeph 3:8-9
8 Therefore wait ye upon Me, saith the LORD, until the day that I rise up to the prey: for My determination is to gather the nations, that I may assemble the kingdoms, to pour upon them Mine indignation, even all My fierce anger: for all the earth shall be devoured with the fire of My jealousy.

9 For then will I turn to the people a pure language, that they may all call upon the name of the LORD, to serve Him with one consent.

KJV

That of course has not happened yet today.

All peoples spoke one language before the tower of Babel event. God is going to return that one language.

The cloven tongue of Pentecost was heard and understood by all present, even in their very dialects of their language of birth (Acts 2). That is the sign of the True cloven tongue, i.e., it is understood by all present.

Reactions: Truth and Helen

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you dunno what what means? you never heard anyone say what?
prolly me, but i can't define "what" there exactly, ty
No, i have never heard anyone say the Bible was like a completely foreign language to them like in Spanish. Victory knew what i meant and answered.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Will they simply understand each other while each person still speak in their own native tongue? So there will be many languages and division? Or will they all speak the same language? As before the Tower of Babel.

Consider: He says "he that has ears to hear" which, wouldn't that mean, if you need ears to hear...then it is something new, something the world hasn't heard?

1 John 4:5-6
[5] They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them. [6] We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.

What are we speaking that the world can not hear? Is it not Spirit? Is not the Spirit already pure? The world hears the world. Those of Christ hear us, because we are not of this world but of a new creation. Then we speak a new language not heard by the ears of the world?

Did Jesus Christ speak the mysteries of God? Then did He not speak in an unknown tongue?

In context, 1 John 4:5-6 is simply referring to those denying the deity of Jesus in the flesh, those not of God but are of the world, they are anti-Christ. If you want this scripture to be in some way referring to the "pure language" Zephaniah referred to that doesn't even occur until after his second coming, then we will have to conclude that them speaking this "pure language" somehow makes the world saved. This of course isn't what happens, as they all end up getting roasted alive for their transgression against God anyway, "the number of whom is as the sand of the sea". Did Jesus Christ speak of the mysteries of God, sure, but he also didn't speak as a dragon, he spoke as a Jew in Aramaic, many agree.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@VictoryinJesus
I may need to brace myself when discussing "unknown tongues" because I know some people have decided no one should be speaking in such a tongue today and that anyone that does is not of God. When I state on a mixed forum like this one that I have been praying in unknown tongues regularly since 1976 I am never surprised to find myself under attack.

@Dcopymope said this:
Everybody understood him loud and clear, maybe not in spirit, but they understood the words he uttered in their own language.

Yes, Jesus did speak in the common language of the people but his parables were every bit as unintelligible to many of the well educated Bible grounded people of that day as the unknown tongues are to some seemingly high placed "Christians" today. He spoke in parables on purpose at least in part for the same reason that some people speak in unknown tongues:

"And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?
He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.
For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.
Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.
And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:
For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them." Matt 13:10-15

The written scriptures are full of mysteries, sometimes even those who wrote the things down did not at the time understand the ultimate meaning of their writings according to God. On this forum on other threads we can read where people are working to unravel some of those mysteries. God has interpreted some of the mysteries for some so that for them they are no longer mysteries. That we do not all worship in the same ways and/or places is an indication that some things remain mystery leaving us divided... but none of it is a mystery to God and will He not reveal anything that needs to be revealed when it is time to do so to whoever is ready and willing to receive it?

Jesus effectively spoke in tongues and true to Paul's writing there was always an interpreter present [I Cor 14:28] when He did. The interpreter was Himself. He did not interpret everything for everybody, but for those whose eyes were not blinded and for those whose ears were not dull and deaf.

My own gift of tongues is a means of communication between me and God alone. It is a prayer language for me. It includes those prayers that I might be able to pray if I were to think about them beforehand. Such as should I pray for my 92 year old pastor live instead of dying soon of simple "old age"? Is there not a time to die for everyone? Should we pray that he live when God knows it is time for him to die?

My wife has another gift of tongues wherein she interprets into the common language [English] the message from God spoken in an unknown tongue by another brother or sister. This goes along with my own understanding of the scriptures where I have seen not less than three gifts of tongues [diversities of tongues as per I Cor 12:28] among God's people. The third one is expressed in the following verse: "And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?" Acts 2:8.

Are there false tongues? Certainly as there are false ministers and false prophets, but be slow to throw out the baby with the bath water. Be careful not condemn a person based on a preconceived notion.

Now on the babbling: A baby will babble until in time he learns to speak clearly and intelligibly. That is the type of shadow of speaking in parables or in unknown tongues. When a baby Christian first speaks in an unknown tongue it is nothing more than a babble with no more resemblance to a real human language than that of a babbling baby. Like in so many other things in the spiritual some people will babble on and will remain spiritual babies all of their lives because they never really wanted to or were led to have a better communication with God. God loved them, but how do they really love God?

"For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.
For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.
But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil." Heb 5:12-14

All of us are born selfish, but as an infant it is more a matter of survival. As babies we cannot communicate through language yet so we cry and mama hears us and knows we are hungry or cold or uncomfortable in our soiled diapers. She responds and fixes the problem. As we grow we quickly learn that we can obtain not only necessities, but things we just want by simply crying as we did when we were infants.

The baby has moved from selfishness for survival to a selfishness that is a step above the basic needs. It will soon be called covetousness. A selfish toddler is tolerated and sometimes called "cute", but as selfish teenager he becomes hard to endure. A selfish adult will likely not have even one real friend. Anyone who has moved away from selfish at all doesn't want to even be around the very selfish adult. The selfish adult in the flesh equals the spiritual person who has never moved beyond a milk diet to meat even though years have gone by since he was a new convert. He never learned to speak of the things of God beyond a baby's babble...

Reactions: Helen and Frank Lee