An Unknown Tongue

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In context, 1 John 4:5-6 is simply referring to those denying the deity of Jesus in the flesh, those not of God but are of the world, they are anti-Christ. If you want this scripture to be in some way referring to the "pure language" Zephaniah referred to that doesn't even occur until after his second coming, then we will have to conclude that them speaking this "pure language" somehow makes the world saved. This of course isn't what happens, as they all end up getting roasted alive for their transgression against God anyway, "the number of whom is as the sand of the sea". Did Jesus Christ speak of the mysteries of God, sure, but he also didn't speak as a dragon, he spoke as a Jew in Aramaic, many agree.

Does the Spirit only speak Aramaic then? Does not the Holy Spirit(master teacher) transcend all language barriers and speak to anyone; wherever He chooses, However He chooses and they will understand as clearly as you and I?

Transend: be or go beyond the range or limits of (something abstract, typically a conceptual field or division).

surpass (a person or an achievement).

synonyms: surpass, exceed, tower above, leave behind, outshine, eclipse, overshadow.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbyrd009

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does the Spirit only speak Aramaic then? Does not the Holy Spirit(master teacher) transcend all language barriers and speak to anyone; wherever He chooses, However He chooses and they will understand as clearly as you and I?

Transend: be or go beyond the range or limits of (something abstract, typically a conceptual field or division).

synonyms: surpass, exceed, tower above, leave behind, outshine, eclipse, overshadow.

The whole world isn't going to have the holy spirit. They didn't need it to speak one language before and they won't in the future. God is the author of language, so he can do with it whatever he wants, holy spirit or not.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A lady in our church speaking in tongues....

Reactions: amadeus

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Paul's "gurgling and cooing like a baby" imo
very cute, ezackly what one should expect from the est'd church
That of course has not happened yet today.
to you anyway; not sure it is correct to say it has not happened period.
don't we even have cliche's alluding to the language of the heart, etc?imo the language is well known, and perfectly accessible right now
All peoples spoke one language before the tower of Babel event. God is going to return that one language.
hmm, you seem awful sure! :)

Last edited:

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Addressing the OP.
there are three types of tongues,

1. Other tongues, meaning another language.

2. An unknown tongue is an understanding of communication that only you and the Lord God almighty understand. unless you have an interpreter.

3. a NEW tongue. meaning speaking the same language but with a new revelation of the scriptures. a CONTROLLED Tongue. other words something about the scriptures that YOU have not heard before. speaking in kindness and in Love, no backbiting. other word speaking just like the Lord Jesus. supportive scripture, Mark 16:17 "And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues".

to understand this new tongue fully, scripture, James 3:8 "But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.

James 3:9 "Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God".

as the prophet David said, Create in me a clean heart and RENEW the spirt in him. like wise we are regenerate with a new nature we should not talk the way old way we use to talk. but now with a new tongue. as the Lord Jesus said, you'll know them.

PCY.

I don't know. Sometimes he spoke clearly...sometimes in confusing parables.

Interesting...3 yrs ago ..picked up God's Word [the Bible?] it was in another language...I don't know what that means...i have never heard anyone say that, with respectful curiousity.

I agree with you, it was Greek, Spanish, Hindu, and any other language you want to throw in.

It just didn't make sense. I feel you on this one.

I could read, have a high school education, but the bible just didn't make any sense.

the problem was not the Bible, it was me.

as the song say, "It's me It's me It's me Oh Lord". oh yes it's me.

but until I surrendered, then it was the Holy Ghost and me. that's the GAME CHANGER.

then, and only then did the Lord open my mind.

thank God.

PCY.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Was there unknown languages being spoken at Pentecost? I thought the languages were real, spoken languages, but unknown to the people speaking them

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It wasn't Greek to me...i just read past anything that was confusing and went right to the clear and simple and direct.
Psalm 139..Do not worry, ask believe receive, Be anxious for nothing,
cast your cares, Delight in the Lord...focus on the things above and not on the earth..
I read what hits my simple heart...and am called a cherry picker...yes, I am.
I gave him my burdens and confusion is a burden.
I'm pretty simple and happy. :)

I think my all time fave is :This is the confidence we have in approaching God ...that He hears you...and knowing He hears you , you know you have already received what you have asked of Him.
(Off the top from a letter of John's) So simple and uncomplicated.

Last edited:

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It wasn't Greek to me...i just read past anything that was confusing and went right to the clear and simple and direct.
Psalm 139..Do not worry, ask believe receive, Be anxious for nothing,
cast your cares, Delight in the Lord...focus on the things above and not on the earth..
I read what hits my simple heart...and am called a cherry picker...yes, I am.
I gave him my burdens and confusion is a burden.
I'm pretty simple and happy. :)
LOL, LOL, LOL "It wasn't Greek to me...i just read past anything that was confusing". at least you're ernest, I like that. this is what I was really saying.

Psalm 139, well bless your soul.

PCY.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well look, I have a sense of humor myself, but only reveal it slightly. it's some tough Christian in here.

if you can't have fun with your brother and sister in Christ, then it's boring.

it good to have a chuckle every now and then.

and don't worry about me I won't get mad, I'm like the E-trade commercial I just get even... (smile)..LOL.

hey look have yourself a ball ok.

Peace in Christ Jesus.

Reactions: aspen

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Addressing the OP.
there are three types of tongues,

1. Other tongues, meaning another language.

2. An unknown tongue is an understanding of communication that only you and the Lord God almighty understand. unless you have an interpreter.

3. a NEW tongue. meaning speaking the same language but with a new revelation of the scriptures. a CONTROLLED Tongue. other words something about the scriptures that YOU have not heard before. speaking in kindness and in Love, no backbiting. other word speaking just like the Lord Jesus. supportive scripture, Mark 16:17 "And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues".

to understand this new tongue fully, scripture, James 3:8 "But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.

James 3:9 "Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God".

Thank you for your post. A new tongue full of life (Christ), not full poison(death). I love what you said "a controlled tongue".

James 1:26-27
[26] If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain. [27] Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Was there unknown languages being spoken at Pentecost? I thought the languages were real, spoken languages, but unknown to the people speaking them

In the KJV of 1 Corinthians 14, the word "unknown" was added by the translators. It is not in the Greek New Testament texts.

But that phrase, "unknown tongue", those who speak a gibberish speech use that added adjective "unknown" to support their idea that gibberish no one can understand is the real cloven tongue of Pentencost when it is not.

In 1 Cor.12 thru 14, Apostle Paul is speaking of known languages of the world, not a gibberish unknown tongue. In Acts 2, they weren't speaking gibberish either. They were speaking normally, but it went out by The Holy Spirit to the peoples in their own dialects of their languages. In other words, God was the translator to each person when the Apostles spoke on Pentecost.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for your post. A new tongue full of life (Christ), not full poison(death). I love what you said "a controlled tongue".

James 1:26-27
[26] If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain. [27] Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.
GINOLJC, to all.

@VJ, you got it, amen.

PCY

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands

maybe interesting to note that tongues is supposed to be a sign for unbelievers, right, but only believers discuss tongues.
well, religious tongues, anyway; which has nothing to do with actual tongues imo

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the KJV of 1 Corinthians 14, the word "unknown" was added by the translators. It is not in the Greek New Testament texts.

But that phrase, "unknown tongue", those who speak a gibberish speech use that added adjective "unknown" to support their idea that gibberish no one can understand is the real cloven tongue of Pentencost when it is not.

In 1 Cor.12 thru 14, Apostle Paul is speaking of known languages of the world, not a gibberish unknown tongue. In Acts 2, they weren't speaking gibberish either. They were speaking normally, but it went out by The Holy Spirit to the peoples in their own dialects of their languages. In other words, God was the translator to each person when the Apostles spoke on Pentecost.
Gibberish certainly exists in the ways of men, but so does reality in the Way of God. I would go slowly in calling everything you do not understand, gibberish:

"And now I say unto you, Refrain from these men, and let them alone: for if this counsel or this work be of men, it will come to nought:
But if it be of God, ye cannot overthrow it; lest haply ye be found even to fight against God." Acts 5:38-39

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
what I speak would sound like gibberish...but wowsa...what powerfully fun gibberish!

B

brakelite

Can anyone explain this...

Acts 10:44-47

44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.

45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.

46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,

47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?

Cornelius spoke at least two languages obviously, Aramaic/Hebrew and his own common latin. What tongues was this spoken and for whose benefit and did anyone interpret? Was it necessary to interpret?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can anyone explain this...

Acts 10:44-47

44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.

45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.

46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,

47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?

Cornelius spoke at least two languages obviously, Aramaic/Hebrew and his own common latin. What tongues was this spoken and for whose benefit and did anyone interpret? Was it necessary to interpret?

Was hoping someone else would answer. In no way am I saying it is right but I'll make an attempt:

Consider what it means to magnify. To "magnify" God.

Luke 1:45-50
[45] And blessed is she that believed: for there shall be a performance of those things which were told her from the Lord. [46] And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord, [47] And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour. [48] For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden: for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed. [49] For he that is mighty hath done to me great things; and holy is his name. [50] And his mercy is on them that fear him from generation to generation.

Mary spoke with a new tongue, she spoke the mysteries of God which she received first-hand from the Spirit of God. Something that had not been heard by the world. To speak with a new tongue:

Mark 16:17
[17] And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

Whether it is in another's language they can understand or spoken plainly in our own...it is still a newness spoken in God, that magnifies His name and plan of redemption.

James 3:10-11
[10] Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be. [11] Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter?

If people around me that would have usually cursed God start speaking the mysteries of God with a new tongue; sweet instead of bitter...it would definitely magnify a move of God.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gibberish certainly exists in the ways of men, but so does reality in the Way of God. I would go slowly in calling everything you do not understand, gibberish:

"And now I say unto you, Refrain from these men, and let them alone: for if this counsel or this work be of men, it will come to nought:
But if it be of God, ye cannot overthrow it; lest haply ye be found even to fight against God." Acts 5:38-39

Thanks for your concern, but God's Word is the Measure of all things, and the Acts 2 example of the cloven tongue ain't no gibberish unknown tongue.

Reactions: bbyrd009