And anyone who marries..

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
aspen said:
But how can you possibly know without experiencing the details of a private relationship?
These are the words of Jesus aspen. If we bend the rules here, why can't we bend them everywhere else.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People come before rules. Pharisees did not know this, but we do.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who said anything about lawlessness (besides you)? People and their situations must be considered when interpreting the law....anything less is legalism. The idea that considering the circumstances of a situation is the same as lawlessness is a logical fallacy.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
aspen said:
Who said anything about lawlessness (besides you)? People and their situations must be considered when interpreting the law....anything less is legalism. The idea that considering the circumstances of a situation is the same as lawlessness is a logical fallacy.
If it's against the Word of God it is lawlessness. Unless you have scripture on divorce to prove Jesus wrong, because that's what you would be doing.

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ATP said:
If it's against the Word of God it is lawlessness. Unless you have scripture on divorce to prove Jesus wrong, because that's what you would be doing.
ATP, have you ever been divorced? Have you ever been placed in this situation? Have you ever been on your knees, pleading with God to save your marriage and it still ended?

Reactions: aspen

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Born_Again said:
ATP, have you ever been divorced? Have you ever been placed in this situation? Have you ever been on your knees, pleading with God to save your marriage and it still ended?
Still no scripture.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible is not a math book, full of proofs. Humans are dynamic, not formulas to be processed. I am interested in hearing what your understanding of where the Pharisees went wrong, ATP, really.

I tend to believe that Christians often place the Pharisees at the farthest length of a continuum - everyone less legalistic then they were, are fine. Of course, super legalistic Christians can always imagine the Pharisees being worse than they are.

IMO, it is more accurate to view the legalism of the Pharisees for what it is; all attempts to put the law before human beings. The reason Pharisees were so righteously indignant was because they reduced their interpretation of the law to literalism. It is a lazy and safe way to administer the law because it is only about meting out punishment to people for not conforming to the letter of the law. Terribly inaccurate

I've already provided a different interpretation of Jesus's words and why He said them.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
aspen said:
The Bible is not a math book, full of proofs. Humans are dynamic, not formulas to be processed. I am interested in hearing what your understanding of where the Pharisees went wrong, ATP, really.

I tend to believe that Christians often place the Pharisees at the farthest length of a continuum - everyone less legalistic then they were, are fine. Of course, super legalistic Christians can always imagine the Pharisees being worse than they are.

IMO, it is more accurate to view the legalism of the Pharisees for what it is; all attempts to put the law before human beings. The reason Pharisees were so righteously indignant was because they reduced their interpretation of the law to literalism. It is a lazy and safe way to administer the law because it is only about meting out punishment to people for not conforming to the letter of the law. Terribly inaccurate

I've already provided a different interpretation of Jesus's words and why He said them.
aspen. I think what God is telling us in Matt 5:32 NIV is that without God in the marriage the end result is less hopeful. Without God, all you have left is fire.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ATP

1. I agree with you about a Godless marriage
2. A failed marriage does not mean God is absent from the relationship
3. There is no difference between the failure rate of marriages between Christians and nonChristians

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Born_Again said:
That's awesome. You still didn't answer my question though.
I don't see how it makes a difference. Whether I've been divorced or not, it doesn't make the scripture go away.

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ATP said:
I don't see how it makes a difference. Whether I've been divorced or not, it doesn't make the scripture go away.
Because, you simply would have to go through this to see where some of us are coming from. Despite our best efforts, It was God who leads us away from the marriage sometimes. You cannot understand this unless you have gone through it. Just because you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express doesn't always make you an authority or your interpretation of the said scripture on the mark. And if you want to split hairs on this, when I felt God was telling me let her go I ran it all past my Pastor and he felt I was being told to let her go as well. But, you would also have to know the whole situation to understand. (Speaking to taking her back if she repented)

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1st Corinthians 11

5 But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head—it is the same as having her head shaved. 6 For if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well have her hair cut off; but if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should cover her head.

Letter of the law. Yet, it is ignored today. So why is this injustice allowed to persist in our churches today?

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Born_Again said:
It was God who leads us away from the marriage sometimes.
That would make God contradictory though. Do you have scripture that supports God breaking up marriages.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ATP said:
It does make a difference because it leads to your legalistic interpretation.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ATP said:
That would make God contradictory though. Do you have scripture that supports God breaking up marriages.
Jeremiah 3:8

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ATP said:
2 Corinthians 6:14New International Version (NIV)

14 Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
aspen said:
1st Corinthians 11

5 But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head—it is the same as having her head shaved. 6 For if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well have her hair cut off; but if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should cover her head.

Letter of the law. Yet, it is ignored today. So why is this injustice allowed to persist in our churches today?

What is the point you're making here.

aspen said:
Jeremiah 3:8
In God's eyes this falls under the category for divorce. Adultery is sexual immorality.

Born_Again said:
2 Corinthians 6:14New International Version (NIV)

14 Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?
I would think the devil yokes an unbeliever to a believer, not God.

Status
Not open for further replies.