And anyone who marries..

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Does this still apply today, you think. Does Jesus expect the woman to remain single for the rest of her days....

Matt 5:32 NIV But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, makes her the victim of adultery, and anyone who marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Depends

Abandoning a spouse without resources is what Jesus was speaking against.

Divorce today is mostly between equal partners, not between a man and a dependent.

Do I believe that divorce is ideal, no. I believe that it is part of plan B - life after the Fall. I will remarry after my divorce because my former marriage was no longer possible and I choose to be in an intimate relationship with someone who loves me

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
aspen said:
I will remarry after my divorce because my former marriage was no longer possible and I choose to be in an intimate relationship with someone who loves me
But the passage says the only exception for divorce is sexual immorality.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ATP said:
But the passage says the only exception for divorce is sexual immorality.

Yes, and that extreme condition would apply to a relationship between a master and slave, in order to provide protection for the slave.

Infidelity was not present in my marriage, but neither was the dynamic of master/slave, owner/possession, which was present in the NT times. Divorce under those circumstances was equal to complete abandonment of the wife; loss of all possessions and reputation of the wife; and if the wife was guilty of immorality, death. The husband did not have any repercussions and could divorce the wife with a simple statement, according to the law. Jesus was limiting the power of the husband and protecting the wife. It was a similar teaching to the commands for Christians to take care of widows (women with nothing, but their reputations) and orphans.

My marriage was between equals. My ex-wife has a career and she received the majority of the joint possessions. She was not abandoned. She also divorced me.

There were also extenuating circumstances, but even if there were not, I believe that divorce and remarriage today is much different than it was in the NT times, due to the equality of men and women.

pom2014

Dec 6, 2014
ATP said:
Does this still apply today, you think. Does Jesus expect the woman to remain single for the rest of her days....

Matt 5:32 NIV But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, makes her the victim of adultery, and anyone who marries a divorced woman commits adultery.
It applies to both men and women.

Unless spouse dies neither can remarry.

And the ONLY reason for divorce is cheating and nothing else will be accepted by God.

Feb 12, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ATP said:

He wants her to go back to her husband.

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My ex was unfaithful. All the way to the end, no less. I forgave her each time as I thought, not felt, thought it was what God would want me to do. But, in the end, when things were at their worst, He lead me away from her. Like my brother Aspen, I too will remarry with someone who will be loyal and love me as I will love her.

My ex currently lives with the man she sought aside from me. I know she plans to marry him. I have explained to her that she cannot do that and still call her self a follower of Christ. I know this burdens her but she surely has not and will not repent. Though in this instance, she may be forgiven if she has repented but I don't think she understands that, in Christ, she can not remarry.

The most interesting and mildly humorous part is, when she was moving out, she was quick to take her Bible. The look I gave her was worth a million words.

So to answer the question, yes, I still this is very much applicable today. That being said, it is the commandment of Christ. If we truly follow Him, then regardless of the what era we are in, it still applies.

BA

clark thompson said:
He wants her to go back to her husband.
Even after being unfaithful?

pom2014

Dec 6, 2014
Born_Again said:
I too will remarry with someone who will be loyal and love me as I will love her.

My ex currently lives with the man she sought aside from me. I know she plans to marry him. I have explained to her that she cannot do that and still call her self a follower of Christ. she may be forgiven if she has repented but I don't think she understands that, in Christ, she can not remarry.

Neither of you can remarry while the other lives.

So if either of you do, you commit adultery. Just something you should know.

"clark thompson He wants her to go back to her husband."

Israel has been unfaithful MANY times to God, and always he takes her back.

If she repents will you be hard hearted and not take her back?

Reconciliation is preferable to divorce.

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
pom2014 said:
I too will remarry with someone who will be loyal and love me as I will love her.

My ex currently lives with the man she sought aside from me. I know she plans to marry him. I have explained to her that she cannot do that and still call her self a follower of Christ. she may be forgiven if she has repented but I don't think she understands that, in Christ, she can not remarry.

Neither of you can remarry while the other lives.

So if either of you do, you commit adultery. Just something you should know.

"clark thompson He wants her to go back to her husband."

Israel has been unfaithful MANY times to God, and always he takes her back.

If she repents will you be hard hearted and not take her back?

Reconciliation is preferable to divorce.
If she repents, at least she is squared with God. I will not take her back because it is this simple, "fool me once, shame on you, fool me 5 times, shame on me." I will not leave her the opportunity to fall again and dishonor and lie to me. In all honesty, Pom, with out getting too personal, you would have to know her to understand my side of this mess. So, no. I would not take her back. I cant risk that.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ha....

Sounds like you guys are only interested in talking about the literal words of scripture, without consideration for any situation that might fall outside the narrow scope of meaning. Let me remind you, we were not created for the law, it was created for us. If God could reduce the governance of humanity to the law, Jesus's sacrifice would have been unnecessary. Unfortunately, people and their circumstances demand exception to the law because we are dynamic and our relationship with God and neighbor is also dynamic, therefore, it can never be captured by a picture or a law.

My divorce does not fit the verses provided. In response, you guys just dismiss what I have to say. The Pharisees also excluded all people who did not fit in their box. It is too bad that we still act like this today - believe me the world sees us do it and react appropriately by steering clear of Christianity.

Also, there really is no question here........what this thread is really demanding is adherence to a literal interpretation of scripture, which provides reassurance to all we hears the correct answer, that, yes, the person providing the right answer really is a member in the Christian Tribe, at least until another mini test is given in the next thread posted.......membership in the Christian Tribe is sort of like being a kicker in the NFL - you are only as good as you last kick.

Reactions: Born_Again

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
aspen said:
Ha....

Sounds like you guys are only interested in talking about the literal words of scripture, without consideration for any situation that might fall outside the narrow scope of meaning. Let me remind you, we were not created for the law, it was created for us. If God could reduce the governance of humanity to the law, Jesus's sacrifice would have been unnecessary. Unfortunately, people and their circumstances demand exception to the law because we are dynamic and our relationship with God and neighbor is also dynamic, therefore, it can never be captured by a picture or a law.

My divorce does not fit the verses provided. In response, you guys just dismiss what I have to say. The Pharisees also excluded all people who did not fit in their box. It is too bad that we still act like this today - believe me the world sees us do it and react appropriately by steering clear of Christianity.

Also, there really is no question here........what this thread is really demanding is adherence to a literal interpretation of scripture, which provides reassurance to all we hears the correct answer, that, yes, the person providing the right answer really is a member in the Christian Tribe, at least until another mini test is given in the next thread posted.......membership in the Christian Tribe is sort of like being a kicker in the NFL - you are only as good as you last kick.
Aspen,

I recall your situation. I agree with you.

BA

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
ATP said:

Well, is Paul conflicting with Jesus in 1 Cor 7? 'But if the unbeliever departs, let him depart; a brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases'.

Jesus made it crystal clear that only adultery / sexual immorality is grounds for divorce. We just need to consider the context / application of scripture with saved and unsaved. The saved are instructed to stick to the marriage. The saved are told that if they divorce for any other reason, they are still married. They must seek reconciliation. So if we want to please God / carry on like a BAC, we need to believe this. But of course if our spouse leaves us and we know that they do not want to respect God's commandment, we can only assume they are not saved / no longer saved.

pom2014

Dec 6, 2014
Born_Again said:
If she repents, at least she is squared with God. I will not take her back because it is this simple, "fool me once, shame on you, fool me 5 times, shame on me." I will not leave her the opportunity to fall again and dishonor and lie to me. In all honesty, Pom, with out getting too personal, you would have to know her to understand my side of this mess. So, no. I would not take her back. I cant risk that.
Either way neither of you may remarry until one of you dies.

Now the question is, that IF she shows you that she has repented and changed her ways, would you take her back?

pom2014

Dec 6, 2014
KingJ said:
Well, is Paul conflicting with Jesus in 1 Cor 7? 'But if the unbeliever departs, let him depart; a brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases'.

Jesus made it crystal clear that only adultery / sexual immorality is grounds for divorce. We just need to consider the context / application of scripture with saved and unsaved. The saved are instructed to stick to the marriage. The saved are told that if they divorce for any other reason, they are still married. They must seek reconciliation. So if we want to please God / carry on like a BAC, we need to believe this. But of course if our spouse leaves us and we know that they do not want to respect God's commandment, we can only assume they are not saved / no longer saved.
Paul is not in conflict, Christians reading Paul are. Because in all instances of his talking about marriage Paul makes it clear it is what HE SAYS not the Lord.

But Christians that want what they want without consideration of God, will jump on that small piece of text to justify themselves.

This is the same mentality that allows Christians to have vengeance on others, seek mammon over righteousness and generally act like terrible people. (think war, slavery, bigotry, etc.)

Jesus did make it clear as crystal. NO divorce unless it is adultery, NO remarriage unless the spouse dies.

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
pom2014 said:
Either way neither of you may remarry until one of you dies.

Now the question is, that IF she shows you that she has repented and changed her ways, would you take her back?
And my answer is no. We have been apart too long. We get along better now than when we were married. In this instance, its better for her, me, and the kids.

Reactions: aspen

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When a marriage goes bad it is not healthy to stay together for the kids and ridiculous to stay together for the comfort of other Christians

Reactions: Born_Again

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
aspen said:
When a marriage goes bad it is not healthy to stay together for the kids and ridiculous to stay together for the comfort of other Christians
My thoughts exactly, Aspen! :)

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
aspen said:
Or maybe people give up to easy.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ATP said:
Or maybe people give up to easy.

But how can you possibly know without experiencing the details of a private relationship?

Status
Not open for further replies.