Animals go to heaven and why it matters

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

PossibleThrowawayAccount

Oct 1, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All over the world many Christians are wondering what will happen to their pets after death. Unfortunately they are often told that an animal ceases to exist after death which further burdens their grief and worse even sometimes turns them away from God, perhaps justifiably. What makes this especially tragic is that the Bible confirms that every living thing will be resurrected.

There are a lot of verses about animals in heaven (Revelation 6:2, Isaiah 11:6-9, etc.) but this particular post is about the animals who lived here on earth.

Romans 8:19-23:
For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.

20 For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope,

21 Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.

22 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.

23 And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.

The apostle Paul could not have been any clearer or blunt about this. I have seen people try to argue with this verse, some have said that "creature" refers to non-Christians. Ironically those who have claimed that Paul is referring to non-Christians have also taught either eternal Hell or annihilation which contradicts their interpretation of the verses above.

Some translations use the word "creation" meaning everything but that does not change the message.

Paul wasn't the only one who bluntly said everything will receive salvation. Jesus's cousin, the wise prophet John the baptist, says this in Luke 3:6 "And all flesh shall see the salvation of God."

Some translations make this out to say every person, but the oldest Greek texts use the word "flesh" not "person" or "man".

1 Corinthians 15:22
For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive.

Although many will disagree with this, there is no reason to believe animals died before Adam and Eve cursed the earth by eating the forbidden fruit. I don't think that this verse extends to just humans but also to the animals.

Revelation 21:4
And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes, and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain; for the former things are passed away.

I think this is another clue. Notice how he does not say "No more dying" but rather "no more death". Not only will everything stop dying but also will stop being dead.

A lot of people of people assume this verse teaches that animals simply die...

Ecclesiastes 3:21
Who knoweth the spirit of man that goeth upward, and the spirit of the beast that goeth downward to the earth?

... BUT that misconception probably comes from a lack of knowledge of ancient Judaism. In those days there really wasn't a direct answer as to what happened to anything, including people, when it died. Some believed the soul simply went back to God and merged with him, while others believed the soul went to Sheol, which we now call Hell. A lot of people who see this verse do not read what comes before it, that animals and people go to the same place:

For that which befalleth the sons of men befalleth beasts; even one thing befalleth them: as the one dieth, so dieth the other; yea, they have all one breath; so that a man hath no preeminence above a beast: for all is vanity. All go unto one place

The aforementioned Ecclesiastes 3:20 confirms that animals have spirits just like human beings.

Revelation 5:13
And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honour, and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever.

Another argument I disagree with is that animals do not have morals nor can they believe in God. However there are verses all over the Bible that say animals worship God.

Isaiah 43:20
The beast of the field shall honour me, the dragons and the owls because I give waters in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert, to give drink to my people, my chosen.

Psalm 66:4
All the earth shall worship thee, and shall sing unto thee; they shall sing to thy name. Selah.

I have seen many arguments against animals going to heaven and I want to use this as an opportunity to disagree with them. I have seen people claiming that animals cannot go to heaven because they cannot accept Jesus (see above). However there are things in heaven that are far less capable such as the street made of gold and the waters of life.

I once read an argument that it would not be fair because there would be more animals than people in heaven since everyone is not saved, but by that logic even Christians shouldn't go to heaven because there is less of us than non-Christians.

I am going to end this post by talking about why this matters so much. When someone says an animals ceases to exist they accidentally paint God to be a heartless, neglectful villain and give other religions and atheism leverage. I think the reason why so many people hope that animals don't go to heaven is because they want to be the only ones to receive salvation. For some reason a lot of people like the thought of being the only ones in heaven (case in point, when this thread gets inevitably hijacked by people arguing and telling each other they are going to Hell over something marginal).

I could go on, but this thread is getting long enough. Have a nice day!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Nancy

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does a pets demise turn them from God? Hmmm, well then they are like the seed that fell on stone and had no root. I'm not sure what your point is. Not that I'm against pets going to heaven, but really. Some near death experiences describe animals in paradise. So perhaps you should direct them towards their testimony.

PossibleThrowawayAccount

Oct 1, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does a pets demise turn them from God? Hmmm, well then they are like the seed that fell on stone and had no root. I'm not sure what your point is. Not that I'm against pets going to heaven, but really. Some near death experiences describe animals in paradise. So perhaps you should direct them towards their testimony.
Probably. Some people go overboard when it comes to pets, but my point was that people telling them that animals simply die while they are grieving could potentially make someone in such a vulnerable position could make them see God in a negative light.

Yeah, I could have mentioned NDEs but I would rather mention the Bible, something we can all agree is legit. Some people make up NDEs for attention and money (a certain movie that came out a decade ago for example).

Reactions: Nancy and dev553344

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@PossibleThrowawayAccount - which translation are you using? My NIV bible says this: Note the word is creation not creature.

Romans 8:19-23

19 For the creation waits in eager expectation for the children of God to be revealed. 20 For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope 21 that[a] the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the freedom and glory of the children of God.
22 We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time. 23 Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption to sonship, the redemption of our bodies.

Reactions: dev553344

knothead

Sep 29, 2023
Tn
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you explain about an animal being born in sin and choosing to believe in Jesus some time in their life as the only way to God/heaven is believing in Jesus?

Reactions: Pearl

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you explain about an animal being born in sin and choosing to believe in Jesus some time in their life as the only way to God/heaven is believing in Jesus?
The actual idea is that babies can't sin because their brains haven't developed to know good and evil as the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil imparted. That said animals brains are under developed compared to humans and are in the same boat as babies. Most good Christians believe in an age of accountability which usually is around 8 years of age.

knothead

Sep 29, 2023
Tn
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The actual idea is that babies can't sin because their brains haven't developed to know good and evil as the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil imparted. That said animals brains are under developed compared to humans and are in the same boat as babies. Most good Christians believe in an age of accountability which usually is around 8 years of age.
Babies have nothing t o do with animals sinning and animals have nothing to do with babies sinning. Animals dont sin cause the are of a different flesh than man. God does not say he breathed life into animals. animals do not grow up and start at some point in life contemplating if there is or is not a God and how to find him.

Reactions: marks

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
animals do not grow up and start at some point in life contemplating if there is or is not a God and how to find him.
That would be what we call and incorrect statement:

Psalms 148:7-13 NKJV​

Praise the LORD from the earth, You great sea creatures and all the depths; Fire and hail, snow and clouds; Stormy wind, fulfilling His word; Mountains and all hills; Fruitful trees and all cedars; Beasts and all cattle; Creeping things and flying fowl; Kings of the earth and all peoples; Princes and all judges of the earth; Both young men and maidens; Old men and children. Let them praise the name of the LORD, For His name alone is exalted; His glory is above the earth and heaven.

And there's more!

Reactions: MA2444

knothead

Sep 29, 2023
Tn
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That would be what we call and incorrect statement:

Psalms 148:7-13 NKJV​

Praise the LORD from the earth, You great sea creatures and all the depths; Fire and hail, snow and clouds; Stormy wind, fulfilling His word; Mountains and all hills; Fruitful trees and all cedars; Beasts and all cattle; Creeping things and flying fowl; Kings of the earth and all peoples; Princes and all judges of the earth; Both young men and maidens; Old men and children. Let them praise the name of the LORD, For His name alone is exalted; His glory is above the earth and heaven.

And there's more!
Well that verse will not change my thoughts. It does not sat "Thus saith the Lord". So my first thought is this verse is of a human and a Mystic.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
laughing2.gif

Yeah man, I tried to tell my dog about Jesus and they just barked at me!

But, they did wag their tail so do you think this means they got born again?

I hope so.... I sure wouldn't want my dogs to go to hell for rejecting Jesusdisagree.gif

If a dog bites the post man... I'm thinking it's a sin.
How do we teach our dogs to repent and ask the Lord for forgiveness?
Each time I bring this up, they just bark at me!

• Haha
Reactions: Lambano

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The actual idea is that babies can't sin because their brains haven't developed to know good and evil as the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil imparted.

I agree with that... and this makes the original sin people really upset.

Some of these folks think babies that die go to hell! Ain't that crazy er what!

• Love
Reactions: dev553344

knothead

Sep 29, 2023
Tn
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
View attachment 39819

Yeah man, I tried to tell my dog about Jesus and they just barked at me!

But, they did wag their tail so do you think this means they got born again?

I hope so.... I sure wouldn't want my dogs to go to hell for rejecting JesusView attachment 39821

If a dog bites the post man... I'm thinking it's a sin.
How do we teach our dogs to repent and ask the Lord for forgiveness?
Each time I bring this up, they just bark at me!
you need to read your bible if you have one

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All over the world many Christians are wondering what will happen to their pets after death. Unfortunately they are often told that an animal ceases to exist after death which further burdens their grief and worse even sometimes turns them away from God, perhaps justifiably. What makes this especially tragic is that the Bible confirms that every living thing will be resurrected.

There are a lot of verses about animals in heaven (Revelation 6:2, Isaiah 11:6-9, etc.) but this particular post is about the animals who lived here on earth.

Romans 8:19-23:
For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.

20 For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope,

21 Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.

22 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.

23 And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.

The apostle Paul could not have been any clearer or blunt about this. I have seen people try to argue with this verse, some have said that "creature" refers to non-Christians. Ironically those who have claimed that Paul is referring to non-Christians have also taught either eternal Hell or annihilation which contradicts their interpretation of the verses above.

Some translations use the word "creation" meaning everything but that does not change the message.

Paul wasn't the only one who bluntly said everything will receive salvation. Jesus's cousin, the wise prophet John the baptist, says this in Luke 3:6 "And all flesh shall see the salvation of God."

Some translations make this out to say every person, but the oldest Greek texts use the word "flesh" not "person" or "man".

1 Corinthians 15:22
For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive.

Although many will disagree with this, there is no reason to believe animals died before Adam and Eve cursed the earth by eating the forbidden fruit. I don't think that this verse extends to just humans but also to the animals.

Revelation 21:4
And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes, and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain; for the former things are passed away.

I think this is another clue. Notice how he does not say "No more dying" but rather "no more death". Not only will everything stop dying but also will stop being dead.

A lot of people of people assume this verse teaches that animals simply die...

Ecclesiastes 3:21
Who knoweth the spirit of man that goeth upward, and the spirit of the beast that goeth downward to the earth?

... BUT that misconception probably comes from a lack of knowledge of ancient Judaism. In those days there really wasn't a direct answer as to what happened to anything, including people, when it died. Some believed the soul simply went back to God and merged with him, while others believed the soul went to Sheol, which we now call Hell. A lot of people who see this verse do not read what comes before it, that animals and people go to the same place:

For that which befalleth the sons of men befalleth beasts; even one thing befalleth them: as the one dieth, so dieth the other; yea, they have all one breath; so that a man hath no preeminence above a beast: for all is vanity. All go unto one place

The aforementioned Ecclesiastes 3:20 confirms that animals have spirits just like human beings.

Revelation 5:13
And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honour, and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever.

Another argument I disagree with is that animals do not have morals nor can they believe in God. However there are verses all over the Bible that say animals worship God.

Isaiah 43:20
The beast of the field shall honour me, the dragons and the owls because I give waters in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert, to give drink to my people, my chosen.

Psalm 66:4
All the earth shall worship thee, and shall sing unto thee; they shall sing to thy name. Selah.

I have seen many arguments against animals going to heaven and I want to use this as an opportunity to disagree with them. I have seen people claiming that animals cannot go to heaven because they cannot accept Jesus (see above). However there are things in heaven that are far less capable such as the street made of gold and the waters of life.

I once read an argument that it would not be fair because there would be more animals than people in heaven since everyone is not saved, but by that logic even Christians shouldn't go to heaven because there is less of us than non-Christians.

I am going to end this post by talking about why this matters so much. When someone says an animals ceases to exist they accidentally paint God to be a heartless, neglectful villain and give other religions and atheism leverage. I think the reason why so many people hope that animals don't go to heaven is because they want to be the only ones to receive salvation. For some reason a lot of people like the thought of being the only ones in heaven (case in point, when this thread gets inevitably hijacked by people arguing and telling each other they are going to Hell over something marginal).

I could go on, but this thread is getting long enough. Have a nice day!
I don't know why animals wouldn't go to heaven.

knothead

Sep 29, 2023
Tn
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
no-dogs-in-heaven.jpg

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Father is my exceeding great reward! 2thumbs-up.gif

I just want to be where He's at... and how ever He decided to
do things is what I'm wanting to see cause it's ALL good where He's at!

jesus-power_jpg.jpg

PossibleThrowawayAccount

Oct 1, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The bible says there are 4 kinds of flesh.
Yes and John the Baptist said that ALL flesh will see salvation (Luke 3:6)

How does any animal understand the Gospel and live by the rules of it?
Apparently they can (Mark 16:15)

Wouldn't it be more logical for God to raise our pets from the dead than cruelly brainwash us into forgetting them?

My opinion is that Jesus is the only way for HUMANS to get to heaven. Like I said in the op, otherwise God wouldn't have a throne and heaven wouldn't have a street of gold, waters of life, pearly gates or anything inanimate.