anyone heard of this?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That is false, God appointed Paul as a preacher

2 timothy 1
8 Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me His prisoner, but share with me in the sufferings for the gospel according to the power of God, 9 who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began, 10 but has now been revealed by the appearing of our Savior Jesus Christ, who has abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel, 11 to which I was appointed a preacher, an apostle, and a teacher [c]of the Gentiles.

1 Timothy 2:6-8​

6 who gave Himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time, 7 for which I was appointed a preacher and an apostle—I am speaking the truth [a]in Christ and not lying—a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and truth.​

God did not appoint preachers. The ministries were apostles' prophets, evangelists' shepherds and teachers. If you want to draw a long bow, be my guest.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
God did not appoint preachers. The ministries were apostles' prophets, evangelists' shepherds and teachers. If you want to draw a long bow, be my guest.
You're being really irrationally obstinate even when the scripture says Paul was appointed by God as a preacher. Everyone should take note of this.
You deny preaching as a ministry then of God to the people.
Who sends preachers, just men or God?
This must be some kind of doctrine you have in your group?

1 Corinthians 1:17
For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel, not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of no effect.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Preaching the gospel pleases God.
1 Corinthians 1:21
For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through wisdom did not know God, it pleased God through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe.

Galatians 1:15-17​

15 But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother’s womb and called me through His grace, 16 to reveal His Son in me, that I might preach Him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately confer with flesh and blood, 17 nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me; but I went to Arabia, and returned again to Damascus.

Ephesians 3:8
To me, who am less than the least of all the saints, this grace was given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ,

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You're being really irrationally obstinate even when the scripture says Paul was appointed by God as a preacher. Everyone should take note of this.

For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel, not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of no effect.

I am always obstinate when it comes to the truth for the simple reason that I always do a vast amount of study of a subject before I say anything. That being the case, my being obstinate is not irrational. In fact it is very rational.

So do tell me how many years have you studied this topic and how many books have you have read on this subject? I am up to 60 books to date.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That is false, God appointed Paul as a preacher

2 timothy 1
8 Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me His prisoner, but share with me in the sufferings for the gospel according to the power of God, 9 who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began, 10 but has now been revealed by the appearing of our Savior Jesus Christ, who has abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel, 11 to which I was appointed a preacher, an apostle, and a teacher [c]of the Gentiles.

1 Timothy 2:6-8​

6 who gave Himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time, 7 for which I was appointed a preacher and an apostle—I am speaking the truth [a]in Christ and not lying—a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and truth.​

I notice that you very conveniently left out the fact that God anointed Paul an apostle and a teacher. Which he was referred to by many times but rarely a preacher.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I notice that you very conveniently left out the fact that God anointed Paul an apostle and a teacher. Which he was referred to by many times but rarely a preacher.
I did not leave anything out, I showed you what scripture says about a "Preacher" You just continued to ignore scripture.
Preachers are appointed and sent by God to preach by His command, that means God appoints preachers to preach the word. Just like scripture says He does by His grace

2 Timothy 1:11
to which I was appointed a preacher, an apostle, and a teacher of the Gentiles.

1 Peter 1:12
To them it was revealed that, not to themselves, but to us they were ministering the things which now have been reported to you through those who have preached the gospel to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven—things which angels desire to look into.

Titus 1:2-3
2 in hope of eternal life which God, who cannot lie, promised before time began, 3 but has in due time manifested His word through preaching, which was committed to me according to the commandment of God our Savior;

Ephesians 3:8
To me, who am less than the least of all the saints, this grace was given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ,

1 Corinthians 9:14
Even so the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should live from the gospel.

Romans 10:15
And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace, Who bring glad tidings of good things!”

Acts 13:4-5
Preaching in Cyprus
So, being sent out by the Holy Spirit, they went down to Seleucia, and from there they sailed to Cyprus.
And when they arrived in Salamis, they preached the word of God in the synagogues of the Jews. They also had John as their assistant.

Acts 16:10
Now after he had seen the vision, immediately we sought to go to Macedonia, concluding that the Lord had called us to preach the gospel to them.

Luke 4:18
“The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, Because He has anointed Me To preach the gospel to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, To proclaim liberty to the captives And recovery of sight to the blind, To set at liberty those who are oppressed;

Luke 4:43
but He said to them, “I must preach the kingdom of God to the other cities also, because for this purpose I have been sent.”

Luke 9:2
He sent them to preach the kingdom of God and to heal the sick.

Last edited:

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
King David had some 'sexual exploits' of his own but yet God forgave him and used him. In fact a lot of biblical people had imperfect pasts. You need to look at the good in a person and not the bad.
There is a difference between a habitual lifestyle of immorailty and a one time act ( David ).

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

He is making the distinction between the office ( Apostles, Pastors, Prophets, Evangelists, Teachers) and the description in those roles. Preaching is not an office its a responsibility within that office. Its a distinction with a difference.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Smith Wigglesworth taught several false doctrines:

• All sickness is proof of the presence of the devil. This leaves no room for God’s purposes in suffering (2 Corinthians 1:8–9; Hebrews 12:6).
• Illness and disease are linked to personal sin. This ignores Jesus’ teaching on the subject (John 9:1–3).
• It is always God’s will to heal a person physically. Paul’s testimony teaches the contrary, that is it not always God’s will to heal us in this life (2 Corinthians 12:7–10).
• If a person is not healed, the blame lies in that person’s lack of faith. This overlooks the fact that Jesus once healed a man who had no faith at all (John 5:1–9).

That says it all along with a lifestyle the Bible condemns.

• Love
Reactions: The Learner

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
He is making the distinction between the office ( Apostles, Pastors, Prophets, Evangelists, Teachers) and the description in those roles. Preaching is not an office its a responsibility within that office. Its a distinction with a difference.
NO, he specifically used the word 'appointed'. Saying God does not appoint a preacher. Is that something you also believe?

• Love

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
NO, he specifically used the word 'appointed'. Saying God does not appoint a preacher. Is that something you also believe?
There is no "office" called Preacher in the N.T. It is what an Evangelist, Pastor, Apostle does. So you disagree with this Scott ?

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There is no "office" called Preacher in the N.T. It is what an Evangelist, Pastor, Apostle does. So you disagree with this Scott
You are also stubbornly refusing to say God appoints a preacher. If God does not appoint a preacher, then why should anyone listen to them?
Both you and him are saying preachers are of man. It take it you also do not think much of 'preaching' the word. Maybe due to your church traditions of men.

• Love

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Some people here do not believe the scriptures. Even when it says exactly what it says, appointed as a preacher and an apostle, and a teacher, which are different things. Everyone should take note of this.

1 Timothy 2:7
For this I was appointed as a preacher and an apostle (I am telling the truth, I am not lying), as a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and truth.

LOL!, Paul even points out to the reader he is not lying about being appointed a preacher. Yet some here must also by their own logic call Paul a liar, as they say God does not appoint preachers to be preachers.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
People who say or teach contrary to what scripture actually says, should be shunned, unless they repent, because what they are doing is spreading lying slanders about God, what God does.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are also stubbornly refusing to say God appoints a preacher. If God does not appoint a preacher, then why should anyone listen to them?
Both you and him are saying preachers are of man. It take it you also do not think much of 'preaching' the word. Maybe due to your church traditions of men.
Pastors preach and teach, Teachers teach, Evangelists share the gospel and call people to repentance like Billy Graham preaching the gospel. I'm not saying preachers are of man no more than I'm saying teachers are of man or pastors are of man. You will know them by their fruits if they are of God or of man.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some people here do not believe the scriptures. Even when it says exactly what it says, appointed as a preacher and an apostle, and a teacher, which are different things. Everyone should take note of this.

1 Timothy 2:7
For this I was appointed as a preacher and an apostle (I am telling the truth, I am not lying), as a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and truth.

LOL!, Paul even points out to the reader he is not lying about being appointed a preacher. Yet some here must also by their own logic call Paul a liar, as they say God does not appoint preachers to be preachers.
Strong's Concordance
kérux: a herald
Original Word: κῆρυξ, υκος, ὁ
Part of Speech: Noun, Masculine
Transliteration: kérux
Phonetic Spelling: (kay'-roox)
Definition: a herald
Usage: a herald, preacher, proclaimer.
HELPS Word-studies
Cognate: 2783 kḗryks (from 2784 /kērýssō, "to herald, proclaim") – properly, a herald, a "town-crier" proclaiming critical news for the public (see also 1557 /ekdíkēsis, "the town-gathering"); a preacher (a herald-communicator).

2783 /kḗryks ("a preacher, herald") proclaims Christ (His work) with passion and a binding sense of authority. See 2784 (kēryssō).

Thayer's Greek Lexicon
STRONGS NT 2783: κῆρυξ

κῆρυξ, less correctly (yet so L WH) κῆρυξ (on the accent see Winers Grammar, § 6, 1 c.; (Buttmann, 13 (12)); Lipsius, Gramm. Untersuch., p. 36; (Chandler § 622; Göttling, p. 254f; Lob. Paralip., p. 411; W. Dindorf in Stephanus Thesaurus, under the word; Tdf. Proleg., p. 101)), κήρυκος, ὁ (akin to γῆρυς a voice, a sound, γηρύω to utter a sound, to speak; (yet cf. Vanicek, p. 140)); common in Greek writings from Homer down; a herald, a messenger vested with public authority, who conveyed the official messages of kings, magistrates, princes, military commanders, or who gave a public summons or demand, and performed various other duties. In the O. T., Genesis 41:43; Daniel 3:4; Sir. 20:15. In the N. T. God's ambassador, and the herald or proclaimer of the divine word: δικαιοσύνης, one who summoned to righteousness, of Noah, 2 Peter 2:5; used of the apostles, as the divine messengers of the salvation procured by Christ and to be embraced through him, 1 Timothy 2:7; 2 Timothy 1:11.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Pastors preach and teach, Teachers teach, Evangelists share the gospel and call people to repentance like Billy Graham preaching the gospel. I'm not saying preachers are of man no more than I'm saying teachers are of man or pastors are of man. You will know them by their fruits if they are of God or of man.
You are morphing the discussion now, you came in here defending some other posters lying statement that God does not appoint preachers, but the scriptures say God does. And you still do not seem to think God appoints a preacher to preach. Whose side are you on? God's or man's? What did Christ tell even Peter? Get thee behind me Satan...

Matthew 16:23
But He turned and said to Peter, “Get behind Me, Satan! You are an offense to Me, for you are not mindful of the things of God, but the things of men.”

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Strong's Concordance
kérux: a herald
Original Word: κῆρυξ, υκος, ὁ
Part of Speech: Noun, Masculine
Transliteration: kérux
Phonetic Spelling: (kay'-roox)
Definition: a herald
Usage: a herald, preacher, proclaimer.
HELPS Word-studies
Cognate: 2783 kḗryks (from 2784 /kērýssō, "to herald, proclaim") – properly, a herald, a "town-crier" proclaiming critical news for the public (see also 1557 /ekdíkēsis, "the town-gathering"); a preacher (a herald-communicator).

2783 /kḗryks ("a preacher, herald") proclaims Christ (His work) with passion and a binding sense of authority. See 2784 (kēryssō).

Thayer's Greek Lexicon
STRONGS NT 2783: κῆρυξ

κῆρυξ, less correctly (yet so L WH) κῆρυξ (on the accent see Winers Grammar, § 6, 1 c.; (Buttmann, 13 (12)); Lipsius, Gramm. Untersuch., p. 36; (Chandler § 622; Göttling, p. 254f; Lob. Paralip., p. 411; W. Dindorf in Stephanus Thesaurus, under the word; Tdf. Proleg., p. 101)), κήρυκος, ὁ (akin to γῆρυς a voice, a sound, γηρύω to utter a sound, to speak; (yet cf. Vanicek, p. 140)); common in Greek writings from Homer down; a herald, a messenger vested with public authority, who conveyed the official messages of kings, magistrates, princes, military commanders, or who gave a public summons or demand, and performed various other duties. In the O. T., Genesis 41:43; Daniel 3:4; Sir. 20:15. In the N. T. God's ambassador, and the herald or proclaimer of the divine word: δικαιοσύνης, one who summoned to righteousness, of Noah, 2 Peter 2:5; used of the apostles, as the divine messengers of the salvation procured by Christ and to be embraced through him, 1 Timothy 2:7; 2 Timothy 1:11.
Still diverting away from God's action of 'appointing' a preacher (herald). This discussion has nothing to do with the word 'preacher' does it.
You do not believe God appoints a preacher, because you wont say God does. Go ahead say God appoints a preacher. Can you even agree one little bit with scripture?