Anyone Know How NOT to sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Questor

Messianic Gentile
Jun 11, 2012
SoCal Mountains
Faith
Country
United States
How do I not sin?

I feel sinful. I know my heart is corrupt beyond measure, and that I do nothing right. I know that Shaul had the same problem, and said that I would be fine in Yeshua.

Romans 7:24-25 (CJB)
24 What a miserable creature I am! Who will rescue me from this body bound for death?
25 Thanks be to God [, he will]! — through Yeshua the Messiah, our Lord! To sum up: with my mind, I am a slave of God’s Torah; but with my old nature, I am a slave of sin’s “Torah.”

I want to keep the commandments...to love one another and love G-d, but my heart is wrong, and my thoughts are wrong, and my speech is wrong, and my reactions are wrong!

I feel no condemnation from G-d...I know he loves me and that I am in Yeshua. So when am I going to be changed? When is my receipt of the new heart?

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So when am I going to be changed? When is my receipt of the new heart?
When He is ready, none shall boast. none not one, , our salvation is in Christ, if we wlaked without sin we would not need Him. and this scripture would become a lie

Rev_5:4 And I wept much, because no man was found worthy to open and to read the book, neither to look thereon.

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I struggle with this too....oh, if only we could be more like Christ...now! I feel like every day I do and say things that just shouldn't be.
But, I think being aware of how broken I am is an important step in the road. It makes me fully aware that I would be lost without his grace and mercy. And it teaches me that if not for his work in me, I would be lost still. I think also, that seeing my sin, and being disgusted by it is why I have faith that I am making progress....slowly.
So...I love him with all that I have, and trust that my slow shuffle forward may make me ever increasingly like him.

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When it comes to the Gospel concerning our salvation, I don't see it explained well enough as far as the bottom line reason of what it even means to be "saved". This is why I like to start with Revelation 20 before rambling on about the scriptures that speak of the atonement for our sins because Revelation 20 fully illustrates what the Gospel message is all about in a nutshell. In Revelation 20, there are two ressurections. The first ressurection are those who repented of their sins and accepted the blood atonement of Jesus Christ, which is why they are called the bride of Christ. The second ressurection are those who did NOT accept the blood atonement of Jesus Christ. This is why it is those of the second ressurection, both small and great that will stand before God on his throne to be judged according to the Law, according to their works.

This illustrates the purpose in accepting the ransom that Jesus Christ paid for your soul, its so that the record of all of your sins, past present future will be expunged, so that you don't have to face judgement for your sins. You will either be judged according to the law or saved from judgement by grace through your faith in Jesus Christ. If this is not the correct understanding of the Gospel and the bride will still face judgement like some believe, then every preacher might as well close down their churches and tell their flock to forget about the work performed on the cross by Jesus and follow the old covenant, the law to the best of their ability and hope that they did well enough to end up in the book of life, because Jesus Christ is of no use to you and the Gospel is null and void. You are wasting your time spreading the Gospel, which is about the get out of jail card, the bailout from judgement, which is Jesus Christ.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Questor said:
How do I not sin?

I feel sinful. I know my heart is corrupt beyond measure, and that I do nothing right. I know that Shaul had the same problem, and said that I would be fine in Yeshua.

24 What a miserable creature I am! Who will rescue me from this body bound for death?
25 Thanks be to God [, he will]! — through Yeshua the Messiah, our Lord! To sum up: with my mind, I am a slave of God’s Torah; but with my old nature, I am a slave of sin’s “Torah.”

I want to keep the commandments...to love one another and love G-d, but my heart is wrong, and my thoughts are wrong, and my speech is wrong, and my reactions are wrong!

I feel no condemnation from G-d...I know he loves me and that I am in Yeshua. So when am I going to be changed? When is my receipt of the new heart?
My friend I see you reaching out in desire to love. Your heart is closer than you might imagine.

In my struggles I concentrate on my thoughts. I come to God in submission and pray for His help and guidance. The concept is to be transformed by the renewing of my mind bringing every thought captive to Christ Jesus. In this we are to pick up our cross daily. I pray the Father changes me from the inside out meaning to fill me with the Spirit, giving me a hearing heart that I might listen to and obey His voice, and that He purifies my thoughts.

It starts with awareness of the origin of the thoughts wether they are from selfishness or love.

Once you bring your thought life into the self-control the Spirit gives you are able to more readily utilize your words and actions for His purposes and you become a willing and able vessel.

This is not an over-night process. In truth I am not convinced we will be perfected this side of glory, yet your desire and cry prove the conviction the Spirit has placed on you.

Also you must arm yourself with the promises of God He has given through His Logos.

I pray the Father keeps and protects your desire to love Him and others with all of your strength, mind, heart, and soul. In Ha'Shem of Yeshuah. So be it.

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The children of God have already been sealed with the Holy Spirit the instant they believed in the work of Jesus on the cross.

2 Cor 1:22
22 who also has sealed us and given us the Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee.
NKJV

Eph 1:13-14
13 In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise,
14 who is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory.
NKJV

Eph 4:30
30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.
NKJV

1 John 2:1-2
2 My little children, these things I write to you, so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.
2 And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world.
NKJV

The only sin that condemns people under grace is the sin of unbelief; to not believe Jesus' shed blood paid for all the sins of the world.

The question is answered in verse 2 above.

Do not listen to the religious who tell you you must stop sinning by your efforts to not sin. You only have to answer to God and He has paid for your sins of the flesh. Live your life knowing what God has done for you and try to be forgiving of the other person's short comings. Read the book of Job in which Job's religious friend kept telling him to repent of sins. See what God said about the religious friends.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
H. Richard said:
The children of God have already been sealed with the Holy Spirit the instant they believed in the work of Jesus on the cross.

2 Cor 1:22
22 who also has sealed us and given us the Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee.
NKJV

Eph 1:13-14
13 In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise,
14 who is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory.
NKJV

Eph 4:30
30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.
NKJV

1 John 2:1-2
2 My little children, these things I write to you, so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.
2 And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world.
NKJV

The only sin that condemns people under grace is the sin of unbelief; to not believe Jesus' shed blood paid for all the sins of the world.

The question is answered in verse 2 above.

Do not listen to the religious who tell you you must stop sinning by your efforts to not sin. You only have to answer to God and He has paid for your sins of the flesh. Live your life knowing what God has done for you and try to be forgiving of the other person's short comings. Read the book of Job in which Job's religious friend kept telling him to repent of sins. See what God said about the religious friends.
Nobody questions wether sins are paid for, yet out of our love for God we desire to show that love and respect for Him. We already walk in faith and belief, we simply choose to deepen our relation to God by walking in the Spirit rather than in the flesh.

The answer is in the first verse...

My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. - 1 John 2:1

Newman111107

Aug 14, 2016
I've read the replies and I agree with everything. What I was told many months after I was saved and going through all kinds of hell and conflict, was thatas a carnal human, we are born to sin through Adam. When we invite Christ into our heart, we have a new Spirit. You've already told us that you know it's wrong and you want to know how NOT to sin. By recognizing them, you have the capability of avoiding them. It won't come at once. It's like a bad habit. Like smoking, for instance. I knew I was literally killing myself every time I lit up. I knew that, and still I smoked like a chimney. I got some advice about taking a rubber band and place it around your wrist. Every time I'd get the urge to smoke, I'd snap that rubber band. After a while, it stings. Find a way to make doing the sin a physically painful thing. Stay with it. Get disciplined. Thoughts, actions, it doesn't matter. Thinking about committing a sin is equally as disappointing to God as the action. Hang in there and don't beat yourself up about it. Be concerned, but know that God knows what you're thinking and doing, and if you ask forgiveness, His hand will always be there to pick you u and dust you off.

ScaliaFan

Apr 2, 2016
Questor said:
How do I not sin?

it's virtually impossible to give up venial sin (tendency to indulge in anger/resentment... swearing... not trusting God..), but that cannot be said about mortal sin (fornication, adultery, abortion, etc) which we must give up entirely

I can only speak for myself. It was when i returned to the Catholic Church that i was able to give up serious sin... had the power to do so...(first the rosary, then i discovered the power of Holy Mass).. which power comes only from Christ and His Church (there is only ONE Church... many locations but only one Church)

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
About the church;

The Church is a spiritual entity, made by the will of God and built without human hands of flesh, and the head of the Church is Jesus Christ who gave his life for it. I, personally feel that no man is to be considered as head of the Church. The Church's visibility in the world is shown through Christians that profess that faith in Jesus‘ work on the cross has saved them, individually and as groups. It is not a religious organization, or building, or certain place. Read LUKE, 17:20 "The Kingdom of God does not come with your careful observation, nor will people say, here it is, or there it is, because the kingdom of God "is" within you.

kerwin

Aug 17, 2016
Messianic Gentile,

The answer is that it is easier for a camel to go to the eye of a needle.

With man it is impossible but all things are possible with God.

That is Jesus' answer.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Questor said:
How do I not sin?

Newman111107 said:
I've read the replies and I agree with everything. What I was told many months after I was saved and going through all kinds of hell and conflict, was thatas a carnal human, we are born to sin through Adam. When we invite Christ into our heart, we have a new Spirit. You've already told us that you know it's wrong and you want to know how NOT to sin. By recognizing them, you have the capability of avoiding them. It won't come at once. It's like a bad habit. Like smoking, for instance. I knew I was literally killing myself every time I lit up. I knew that, and still I smoked like a chimney. I got some advice about taking a rubber band and place it around your wrist. Every time I'd get the urge to smoke, I'd snap that rubber band. After a while, it stings. Find a way to make doing the sin a physically painful thing. Stay with it. Get disciplined. Thoughts, actions, it doesn't matter. Thinking about committing a sin is equally as disappointing to God as the action. Hang in there and don't beat yourself up about it. Be concerned, but know that God knows what you're thinking and doing, and if you ask forgiveness, His hand will always be there to pick you u and dust you off.
Amen Newman ~ I totally agree with what you have said. Salvation is a free gift, sanctification is a walk. Keep short accounts with God in prayer brother.

Newman111107

Aug 14, 2016
Thanks Angelina. After I posted my original reply, I thought of something that would have been an eyebrow raiser. A Danish playwright named Henrik Ibsen ("A Doll's House", and many others) once wrote something like this. If a gun is hanging on the wall in the first act of a play, it will most assuredly be fired by the third act.

I'm doing the best I can resting in God's peace.
Dave

ScaliaFan

Apr 2, 2016
H. Richard said:
About the church;

The Church is a spiritual entity, made by the will of God and built without human hands of flesh, and the head of the Church is Jesus Christ who gave his life for it. I, personally feel that no man is to be considered as head of the Church. The Church's visibility in the world is shown through Christians that profess that faith in Jesus‘ work on the cross has saved them, individually and as groups. It is not a religious organization, or building, or certain place. Read LUKE, 17:20 "The Kingdom of God does not come with your careful observation, nor will people say, here it is, or there it is, because the kingdom of God "is" within you.
It is a "city on a hill"

"Do not put yor light under a bushel basket.."

Christians are often seen by the world @ large... non-Christians.. as big sinners and hypocrites.. God knew that would be the case.. and so we have the cathedral in Rome... which stands for .. represents.. Jesus, not merely humans who claim to love Him...

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
1st John says "sin is transgression of God's law"....you all have a problem with God's law the ten commandments? if you do and you call yourself a "christian" then the word hypocrit comes to mind..better review your spirituality.

kerwin

Aug 17, 2016
heretoeternity,

The Ten Commandments are but part of the Law; to be specific they are the part the Hebrews allowed God to speak out loud before they started crying mercy and begging for a mediator. If they were enough God would not have had Moses write the rest of the Law and he would not have sent his Son into the world.

Their failure is that they mandated that the Jews do the works of the Spirit without actually having the Spirit. It is impossible and God being well aware of that included sacrifices and other things as a symbol of better things to come.

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
kerwin said:
heretoeternity,

The Ten Commandments are but part of the Law; to be specific they are the part the Hebrews allowed God to speak out loud before they started crying mercy and begging for a mediator. If they were enough God would not have had Moses write the rest of the Law and he would not have sent his Son into the world.

Their failure is that they mandated that the Jews do the works of the Spirit without actually having the Spirit. It is impossible and God being well aware of that included sacrifices and other things as a symbol of better things to come.

Kerwin, if you still believe in sacrifices time you woke up and read Jesus words in the Gospels...and Acts 15..the Mosaic law, the 613 sacrficial, feast, circumcision etc laws are gone with the exception of the four mentioned...you should also know God's ten commandments are separate, and written by God Himself on the stone tablets as a sign of permanency...why do you find this so hard to understand??

kerwin

Aug 17, 2016
Heretoeternity,

I stated the sacrifices and other things were the symbol of things to come not that I believe in sacrifices.

Jews are still bound to their oath to keep the whole Law as God as it is a perpetual covenant. (Exodus 31:16)

Jesus actually anyone that disobeyed even the least little stitch of the Law and taught others to do likewise would be called least in the Kingdom of Heaven. (Matthew 5:19)

Scripture does state God wrote the ten on tablets of stone but then he instructed the rest for the children of Israel to obey in the land they were to inherit. (Deuteronomy 4:10-14) There is nothing about being separate though some may think it is implied by the fact he both spoke and wrote them without using a mediator. I do not see such implications.

Note:Technically Moses ended up writing even those ten after breaking the first stone tablets but I understand your point.

I am a Gentile and the Law never applied to Gentiles anyways. Gentiles are under an earlier covenant or at least would be as long as they violated it.

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
God's law refers to everyone Kerwin, whether you like it or not..you are terribly confused between the Mosaic sacrificial law which passed away as per Acts 15, and God's law the moral code for mankind to live by...that is why Apostle John said in 1st John "sin is transgression of God's law" and Paul said in Romans "do we make void the law through faith? God .forbid. We establish the law"...time you abandon those false teachings you obviously are following and follow the Bible, the true word of God.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
God never made an earlier covenant with us gentles, we came to Jesus by grace. no more no less but mant insist on addin the law to grace as if Christ didnt do enough. Evn the Jews by Christ are now dead to teh law, for they tow have a new husband to whch like us they are bethored and that man is Jesus, two sheep one fold one husband of one bride of all of us who are in Christ.