ANZAC DAY MEMORIAL 25 April 2024

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Do you have ‘ poppies ‘ to symbolise the day ( wearing them ) - is that universal or just in the U.K..

Yes, never forgotten xx

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Yes... that time of year when you can buy poppies just about on every corner. Here is an excerpt from NZ History On-Line

Wearing poppies​

In New Zealand the poppy is worn most often around Anzac Day. Since 1927 Poppy Day has been the Friday before Anzac Day (unless this is Good Friday), with the appeal continuing until 25 April. Poppies symbolise remembrance at other times as well as on Anzac Day. The red poppy can be seen at major commemorative events, at military funerals and at war graves and cemeteries in New Zealand and around the world

Reactions: amadeus and Rita

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you have ‘ poppies ‘ to symbolise the day ( wearing them ) - is that universal or just in the U.K..

Yes, never forgotten xx
Well in the US, they generally do not wear a poppy Rita, except for expats etc...those from the associated countries involved and especially on the US football sports shows where they are required to do so (by contract?) on the day(s) when the 'fallen' heroes are memorialized, especially of WWI, where the symbol of the poppy is drawn from., of the fields of France.

Of course ANZAC was all about Gallipoli, Turkey where the odds of victory were very slim indeed. It was a slaughter.

I do not wear a poppy around and for my own personal choice as I do not conform to any world or national purpose(s) anymore, especially of warfare of those who died, ands some so horribly. I do not even display or wear any types of symbols of a patriotic nature around the house, with one exception. I do have my US retirement flag, encased in a Kona wooden box, and my camouflaged hat with my last rank affixed on top of it, and overlayed with my dog-tags drooping down, in my own private office room. I do NOT make visible even on the front of my house, any national pride symbol, including flags of NZ, US or England.

I used to wear a poppy in England as a wee boy as I remember, and in NZ through my young adult years, affiliated with WWI of France and Turkey of the Kiwis and Aussies.

Over the years though I developed a sense of political independence with most things. I started to look at these sober events very personally in my spiritual walk, as not to show support to the world first, of sending innocent boys/ young adults to die for the greed and selfishness that senseless power instills. I look as the persons who died and how they must have suffered, their moments of fear and anxiety, their comrades in arms, and how their families suffered at home. I do not take time out for some ignorant collective national pride anymore as some type of virtual signaling party on specific days of the year. I believe God wants me to be this way today.

As an ex-miliary man myself, I do know somewhat the hearts and minds of these fallen soldiers, airman and marines...ok the navy as well..
And these very same people that have experienced the hell of warfare are the same ones, the last ones today who are for new killings and for the chance dying. It changes their lives forever, and many do turn to God in the process..amen

Last edited:

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Well in the US, they generally do not wear a poppy Rita, except for expats etc...those from the associated countries involved and especially on the US football sports shows where they are required to do so (by contract?) on the day(s) when the 'fallen' heroes are memorialized, especially of WWI, where the symbol of the poppy is drawn from., of the fields of France.

Of course ANZAC was all about Gallipoli, Turkey where the odds of victory were very slim indeed. It was a slaughter.

I do not wear a poppy around and for my own personal choice as I do not conform to any world or national purpose(s) anymore, especially of warfare of those who died, ands some so horribly. I do not even display or wear any types of symbols of a patriotic nature around the house, with one exception. I do have my US retirement flag, encased in a Kona wooden box, and my camouflaged hat with my last rank affixed on top of it, and overlayed with my dog-tags drooping down, in my own private office room. I do NOT make visible even on the front of my house, any national pride symbol, including flags of NZ, US or England.

I used to wear a poppy in England as a wee boy as I remember, and in NZ through my young adult years, affiliated with WWI of France and Turkey of the Kiwis and Aussies.

Over the years though I developed a sense of political independence with most things. I started to look at these sober events very personally in my spiritual walk, as not to show support to the world first, of sending innocent boys/ young adults to die for the greed and selfishness that senseless power instills. I look as the persons who died and how they must have suffered, their moments of fear and anxiety, their comrades in arms, and how their families suffered at home. I do not take time out for some ignorant collective national pride anymore as some type of virtual signaling party on specific days of the year. I believe God wants me to be this way today.

As an ex-miliary man myself, I do know somewhat the hearts and minds of these fallen soldiers, airman and marines...ok the navy as well..
And these very same people that have experienced the hell of warfare are the same ones, the last ones today who are for new killings and for the chance dying. It changes their lives forever, and many do turn to God in the process..amen
Thanks for sharing Apak.
When remembrance day comes around I don’t always wear a poppy, but I do kind of reflect on all the lives that have been lost. For me it’s more about those who fought so that I had a freedom when I was growing up. The First World War was horrible , and I dislike the reasons that the young soldiers lost their lives, Second World War I kind of understood more, wars after that seem all about revenge and power - but it’s not so much the hierarchy I think about but the ordinary soldier ( my twin brother was one of them ).

Reactions: amadeus and APAK

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for sharing Apak.
When remembrance day comes around I don’t always wear a poppy, but I do kind of reflect on all the lives that have been lost. For me it’s more about those who fought so that I had a freedom when I was growing up. The First World War was horrible , and I dislike the reasons that the young soldiers lost their lives, Second World War I kind of understood more, wars after that seem all about revenge and power - but it’s not so much the hierarchy I think about but the ordinary soldier ( my twin brother was one of them ).
He, your brother, and I could have a few conversations on the subject

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
He, your brother, and I could have a few conversations on the subject
Yes, although he only served in Northern Ireland during the troubles with the IRA, he thankfully was never called to fight in other wars ( he was in reserve for the Falklands war )
war

Reactions: APAK

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, although he only served in Northern Ireland during the troubles with the IRA, he thankfully was never called to fight in other wars ( he was in reserve for the Falklands war )
war
I remember about the Falkland Island(s) capture...as the Brits with their special forces 'moved' as they always do....and locals were quietly going about their daily business doing their daily chores in the fields with their livestock etc . Then the Exocet French cruise missiles were launched from the mainland...and all hell broke out. The HMS Sheffield sank....

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The Sheffield was an awful loss , so many soldiers got injured and burnt. I remember watching it all live at the time. To some extent, now , I am not so sure we had a right to that island but at the time I did.
I think it started more when a supposedly Argentina vessels crossed the exclusion zone -Maggie Thatcher decided that was enough !

Reactions: APAK

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Yes... that time of year when you can buy poppies just about on every corner. Here is an excerpt from NZ History On-Line

Wearing poppies​

In New Zealand the poppy is worn most often around Anzac Day. Since 1927 Poppy Day has been the Friday before Anzac Day (unless this is Good Friday), with the appeal continuing until 25 April. Poppies symbolise remembrance at other times as well as on Anzac Day. The red poppy can be seen at major commemorative events, at military funerals and at war graves and cemeteries in New Zealand and around the world

How many petals does the poppy flower have?