Apophatic Theology

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
apophatic theology or negative theology, is the attempt to approach God by talking about what He is not rather than reducing Him to a description using words or images. John uses the concept of Logos to approach God, which means Divine Wisdom - a wide open term first used by Aristotle to describe one of three artistic proofs . The Chinese translation of logos in the Chinese Bible is Tao because it serves the same function and is a well known concept in Chinese culture. Negative theology stands opposed to literalism.

Do you find yourself using negative theology to approach God? Is it helpful?

Reactions: Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Watching for posts here.... :)

Reactions: aspen

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
apophatic theology or negative theology, is the attempt to approach God by talking about what He is not rather than reducing Him to a description using words or images. John uses the concept of Logos to approach God, which means Divine Wisdom - a wide open term first used by Aristotle to describe one of three artistic proofs . The Chinese translation of logos in the Chinese Bible is Tao because it serves the same function and is a well known concept in Chinese culture. Negative theology stands opposed to literalism.

Sure. So many are so entrenched in the world and its terminology, that they end up taking worldly descriptions of God literally instead of suggesting a likeness at best. The truth is, God is not "like" a lot of the world and the things we can relate to, except that these otherwise evil examples were created in His likeness. But it's like saying a mud pie, is like a pie. So, negative theology, if I understand it correctly...would be most appropriate.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I guess this thread is going well over my head...you are all too clever for me.

I'd like to add something...because I like my fingers in all the pies...but if I said anything I would be proved a fool...whereas in saying nothing you can 'think' me a fool, but not prove it!!
There is a verse in Proverbs about that...but I forget were.
:D :D :)

Richard_oti

Mar 17, 2008
I guess this thread is going well over my head...you are all too clever for me.

I'd like to add something...because I like my fingers in all the pies...but if I said anything I would be proved a fool...whereas in saying nothing you can 'think' me a fool, but not prove it!!
There is a verse in Proverbs about that...but I forget were.
:D :D :)

Pro 17:28 Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise; When he shutteth his lips, he is esteemed as prudent.

Reactions: Helen

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
The Chinese translation of logos in the Chinese Bible is Tao because it serves the same function and is a well known concept in Chinese culture.
to counter those who will say this is sacrilege or whatever
"Canaanite loot as source of richness was strenuously shunned (Joshua 7:1, Genesis 14:23), which seems to suggest that trade should not be conducted in order to accumulate wealth (which lowers entropy) but rather to disperse it (which raises entropy).

The economic engine of every state is its tax system but Israel, uniquely, employed no tax collectors other than anonymous offer boxes in the temple (Luke 21:1-4). Israel's economic engine was based on the Canaanite tradition of voluntary contribution, which Abraham encountered with Melchizedek (Genesis 14:20, 28:22, Leviticus 27:30-33, Numbers 18:21-24). The latter was a priest of El Elyon, long before Abraham arrived, and in his priestly order, Jesus would be high priest (Hebrews 5:6). Melchizedek's name means King of Righteousness, and righteousness (צדק, sadek) was the very same attribute which the Lord ascribed to Abraham on account of his affirmation of YHWH. King Melchizedek's city Salem became the Jebusitestronghold of Jerusalem (2 Samuel 5:6), which indicates that Israel's economic engine as well as its political capital hailed from native Canaanite structures.

Moses' primary education was Egyptian but he didn't encounter the Lord until he was in Midian, "shepherding the flocks" of his priestly father-in-law Jethro (Exodus 3), who also designed Israel's celebrated judicial system (Exodus 18:12-27). Israel's signature tabernacle complex was a near perfect copy of the battle camp of Rameses II. The first temple was built and partly funded by Phoenicians (1 Kings 5:1). The second temple was ordered and funded by the Persian king (2 Chronicles 36:23, Ezra 6:3-5).

Israel's and later Judah's royal dynasty (which culminates in the Messiah) was probably more than half foreign: king David's great-grandmother Ruth was a Moabite and Solomon's mother Bathsheba was almost certainly Hittite (2 Samuel 11:3, see Ezekiel 16:3). The mother of Solomon's son and successor Rehoboam was an Ammonite called Naamah (1 Kings 14:21).

When Jesus was born in Bethlehem, His identity and arrival was independently determined by means of the science of cosmology, by an untold number of Magi (an ethnic group of Babylon, similar to the Chaldeans). Like Israel, Jesus too spent His formative years in Egypt. His story became as infused with responses to Homer and the Greco-Roman traditions as the Torah is with answers to Babylonian-Persian stories."

and

"The Hebrew scholars of the kingdom years weren't operating in a cultural vacuum, but lavishly borrowed stories, imagery and terminology from their colleague scholars of neighboring cultures. The same thing obviously happens today, when a Christian apologist might try to drive the gospel home while using time-bound terms such as evolution theory, search engine, server (or even: opportunity cost, target audience, swarm intelligence, and so on). The name Leviathan reflects another example of Yahwism being discussed in terms of Babylonian imagery. And the phrases King of Kings, Lord of Lords, Savior of the World and even Son of God came straight from Roman imperial theology and were hijacked by the apostle Paul to allow the citizens of the Roman world to discuss the mystery of the Messiah.

The reader should realize by now that ancient people had completely different feelings when they saw wings or bulls or a statue of a winged bull than do modern people..."
The amazing name Abraham: meaning and etymology

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
to counter those who will say this is sacrilege or whatever
"Canaanite loot as source of richness was strenuously shunned (Joshua 7:1, Genesis 14:23), which seems to suggest that trade should not be conducted in order to accumulate wealth (which lowers entropy) but rather to disperse it (which raises entropy).

The economic engine of every state is its tax system but Israel, uniquely, employed no tax collectors other than anonymous offer boxes in the temple (Luke 21:1-4). Israel's economic engine was based on the Canaanite tradition of voluntary contribution, which Abraham encountered with Melchizedek (Genesis 14:20, 28:22, Leviticus 27:30-33, Numbers 18:21-24).
"... And when he was come into the house, Jesus prevented him, saying, What thinkest thou, Simon? of whom do the kings of the earth take custom or tribute? of their own children, or of strangers?
Peter saith unto him, Of strangers. Jesus saith unto him, Then are the children free.
Notwithstanding, lest we should offend them, go thou to the sea, and cast an hook, and take up the fish that first cometh up; and when thou hast opened his mouth, thou shalt find a piece of money: that take, and give unto them for me and thee." Matt 17:25-27

Reactions: aspen and bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
nice
go thou to the sea, and cast an hook, and take up the fish that first cometh up; and when thou hast opened his mouth, thou shalt find a piece of money
ha, no symbology going on there right lol
a grift in realtime lol
they even still call them fish today

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

though some other cultural views on approaching their gods might be done that way, but the God of Israel isn't approached without acknowledgement of who and or what He is, "Our Father who art in Heaven" should tell you that much. God the Father requires the acknowledgment of His Beloved Son, does He not? and His Beloved Son is the only way to the Father.