Are christian teachings sustainable?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sabre

Jul 11, 2006
As we move further into the future and the world begins to change socially in a drastic way, I can't help feeling that some christian teachings will become outdated and not applicable to the surrounding world.However, I believe that we can still take these teaching and learn lessons from them and use them to improve future society.Do I have any agreement in this point?

bac2nowere

Jun 15, 2006
I do not know what particular teachings you are talking about. However, the teachings of the bible has not changed and still apply today. If there are Christian teachings that are not Biblically based, then they are not Christian teachingsHebrew 13:8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. 2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 2 Timothy 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

Reactions: Joseph77

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As we move further into the future and the world begins to change socially in a drastic way, I can't help feeling that some christian teachings will become outdated and not applicable to the surrounding world.
I have to disagree for the reason that bac2 posted above. I also have to say that as I have gotten deeper and deeper into the Bible, I've become absolutely amazed at the wealth of information that is there. Take the laws handed down on the Old Testament for instance.Many of these laws were later "proven" by scientific discovery. The idea of quarantining the sick, not eating meat with blood, and so on.Leviticus 17:11For the life of the flesh is in the blood... This was said long before any doctor confirmed this.Job 26:7He stretcheth out the north over the empty place, and hangeth the earth upon nothing.I know those aren't so much laws, but previous religions suggested that the Earth was held up by mythical figures and so on. Then we have more laws such as washing things in running water ( Leviticus 15:13) instead of standing water. Deuteronomy 23:11-12 defines that there should be a place outside of camp to use the bathroom. Then there was the commandment to not eat pork. Why? Pigs don't sweat.These are all laws and observations made hundreds or thousands of years before they were confirmed. There's certainly more than I have listed, but this is to name just a few.The Bible (and the instructions contained therein) will never be out of date because they were written to persist to the very end of the age (our time on Earth). They continue to be validated to this very day.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(Sabre)
As we move further into the future and the world begins to change socially in a drastic way, I can't help feeling that some christian teachings will become outdated and not applicable to the surrounding world.However, I believe that we can still take these teaching and learn lessons from them and use them to improve future society.Do I have any agreement in this point?
I believe the exact oppiste is true. I think that we as a society will at somtime in the future come to realize that our downfall was when we moved away from the bible and Gods teachings.Men are not smarter than God although many fallen kings and civilizations have thought they were, just as many in our time do.There is nothing new under the sun what has been before will be again.There is only one way one truth If man would learn these simple truths they save themselves a lot of trouble.

Cristianus

Jul 12, 2006
(Sabre)
Maybe you don't believe in the Christ second coming.Have Faith!Part of this society has changed because this part doesn't love Christ.This is the problem...This part of society wants a man-man marriage, doesn't want our life style,doesn't want our priest-pastors, doesn't want our baptism!Faight, take the blades, I am sure that Christ will be a great soldier when hewill come!... Make as me, I became a soldier when I was fifteen... :cross2:

Love123

Jul 7, 2006
II Tim. 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:IIPeter1:21 21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

servant_of_the_end

Jul 15, 2006
One can equate the static basics of the word of God, and its re-application with those who say the American constitution is a living document that also needs to be reinterpreted. This argument is made by those who suggest that as society changes so does our interpretation of the word of God for any given generation or societal make-up, and this same mindset is seen in those who don't stick to a strict constructionist view of the American Constitution writers original intent. For instance, the rights made up to allow abortion. The word of God never changes and those who are given the word of the Lord have their words judged against the words of those who received prior to the new pronouncements throughout all the time and times when the word was and/or is given and written; and they MUST agree with one another, or else they are the words of a deceiver and false prophet. It has always fascinated me that many men over many generations from various backgrounds were given the revelation of the word of the Lord and it is a cohesive word of continuity. A good place to learn more of this is in Josh McDowell’s book - Evidence That Demands a Verdict. I also had a tape of his from the 1970's- now long lost- that was a lecture on apologetics.Going back to abortion: This is also interesting. The devil ushered in the pogrom of abortion in an attempt to kill the servants and elect as we approach the end of this age, much in the same way Satan inspired Herod to kill all the children under two in an attempt to stop the ministry of the Son of God. The end time servants, elect and saints are to witness the testimony of our Lord Jesus Christ at the end of this age, and Satan has failed once again because the servants are alive and well and the elect and saints will witness to the power of the Blood of the Lamb and the testimony of Jesus Christ as the end of this age draws near.

Greatest I Am

Jan 7, 2007
Soon you will see changes to the man made customs, fashions, rituals of the church.A change will come to the nomenclature of the bible as well, but pains will be taken to maintain it's story line. As it should.The christian bible is the best roadmap to God that I know of.In the meantime know that fundamentalists will disaggre but they are wrong.RegardsDL

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(old thread): QUOTE="Christina, post: 1418, member: 9"]I believe the exact oppiste is true. I think that we as a society will at sometime in the future come to realize that our downfall was when we moved away from the bible and Gods teachings.

Men are not smarter than God
although many fallen kings and civilizations have thought they were, just as many in our time do.There is nothing new under the sun what has been before will be again.

There is only one way one truth

If man would learn these simple truths they save themselves a lot of trouble.
[/QUOTE
=====================================================

AMEN! A necessary lesson from years ago, applicable today as well, as always !

God's Word is TRUTH !

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
(old thread): QUOTE="Christina, post: 1418, member: 9"]I believe the exact oppiste is true. I think that we as a society will at sometime in the future come to realize that our downfall was when we moved away from the bible and Gods teachings.

Men are not smarter than God
although many fallen kings and civilizations have thought they were, just as many in our time do.There is nothing new under the sun what has been before will be again.

There is only one way one truth

If man would learn these simple truths they save themselves a lot of trouble.
[/QUOTE
=====================================================

AMEN! A necessary lesson from years ago, applicable today as well, as always !

God's Word is TRUTH !
Joseph, who the heck are you writing to? Half these people, if not all, aren't even on this forum anymore. Where do you find these out-dated posts? If you're bored, start a new thread, or get creative with one that you only have a slight interest in, or something like that?

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
QUOTE=]There is only one way one truth If man would learn these simple truths they save themselves a lot of trouble.[/QUOTE

What was, is, will be.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What teachings are you referring to. Talking about something generically does not give us any clue as to what you are talking about.

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Depends on what you mean by "sustainable" and what exactly you are referring to. If by sustainable you mean relevant, meaning the teachings can stand on their own two feet as the gold standard for modern society to abide by, then yes, but if by sustainable you mean its teachings can actually be maintained, then no. If the teachings could be maintained, the old monarchical, Israelite kingdom would still be going strong to this day. If the teachings could actually be maintained, there wouldn't be a need for an atonement. The fact that an atonement was necessary only shows that something was broken, that something needed to be fixed, or changed, in a sense. There wouldn't be a need for an entirely new creation if it could truly be maintained. The whole narrative would stop at his resurrection and the great white throne judgement, and left it at that, but it doesn't.