Are Gentiles Christians "spiritual Jews?"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

watchman

Feb 7, 2008
I presented you with the truth and you have denied it.Ezekiel3:27 But when I speak with thee, I will open thy mouth, and thou shalt say unto them, Thus saith the Lord GOD; He that heareth, let him hear; and he that forbeareth, let him forbear: for they are a rebellious house.You forbear the words of the Lord.

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
QUOTE (watchman @ Mar 4 2009, 09:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=70264
I presented you with the truth and you have denied it.Ezekiel3:27 But when I speak with thee, I will open thy mouth, and thou shalt say unto them, Thus saith the Lord GOD; He that heareth, let him hear; and he that forbeareth, let him forbear: for they are a rebellious house.You forbear the words of the Lord.
I guess I could say that about you as well...I presented it and you chose not to read or accept! But the difference in the two of us is that I am not demanding you except what I am sharing. "A record of the genealogy of Jesus Christ the son of David, the son of Abraham: Abraham was the father of Isaac, Isaac the father of Jacob, Jacob the father of Judah and his brothers ... Thus there were fourteen generations in all from Abraham to David, fourteen from David to the exile to Babylon, and fourteen from the exile to the Christ." (Matthew 1:1-2, 17) The Gospel of Matthew was addressed primarily to Jews, which is one reason why Matthew gave a detailed genealogy of Jesus' Jewish ancestry based on significant periods in Israel's history. For example, here are some things that Bible scholars say about the Gospel of Matthew: "Of the four gospels, the first, Matthew, was written to the Jews." (Israelology: The Missing Link in Systematic Theology, Arnold Fruchtenbaum, p.763, emphasis added) "it appears that Matthew had at least two reasons for writing. First, he wanted to show unbelieving Jews that Jesus is the Messiah. ... Second, Matthew wrote to encourage Jewish believers." (The Bible Knowledge Commentary, Walvoord and Zuck, Dallas Theological Seminary, p.16, emphasis added) "I long to see you so that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to make you strong--that is, that you and I may be mutually encouraged by each other's faith. I do not want you to be unaware, brothers, that I planned many times to come to you (but have been prevented from doing so until now) in order that I might have a harvest among you, just as I have had among the other Gentiles." (Romans 1:11-13) This section of Romans was addressed specifically to Gentile Christians. For example, Paul talked about spiritual gifts and about being "mutually encouraged by each other's faith," which tells us that he was writing to Christians. Then he said that he hoped to have a harvest among the readers of this section of Romans, just as he had had "among the other Gentiles." This shows that he was addressing this section of Romans to Gentile Christians. "Now you, if you call yourself a Jew; if you rely on the law and brag about your relationship to God; if you know his will and approve of what is superior because you are instructed by the law; if you are convinced that you are a guide for the blind, a light for those who are in the dark, an instructor of the foolish, a teacher of infants, because you have in the law the embodiment of knowledge and truth --you, then, who teach others, do you not teach yourself? You who preach against stealing, do you steal?" (Romans 2:17-21) This section of Romans was addressed specifically to Jewish Christians. "I am talking to you Gentiles. Inasmuch as I am the apostle to the Gentiles, I make much of my ministry in the hope that I may somehow arouse my own people to envy and save some of them." (Romans 11:13-14) This section of Romans was addressed specifically to Gentile Christians. "For this reason I, Paul, the prisoner of Christ Jesus for the sake of you Gentiles" (Ephesians 3:1) This section of Ephesians was addressed specifically to Gentile Christians. "In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways" (Hebrews 1:1) The book of Hebrews was addressed primarily to Jewish Christians. "James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, To the twelve tribes scattered among the nations: Greetings." (James 1:1) The book of James was addressed primarily to Jewish Christians. "Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, To God's elect, strangers in the world, scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia and Bithynia, who have been chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, for obedience to Jesus Christ and sprinkling by his blood: Grace and peace be yours in abundance." (1 Peter 1:1-2) The book of 1 Peter was addressed primarily to Jewish Christians. "Dear friends, this is now my second letter to you. I have written both of them as reminders to stimulate you to wholesome thinking." (2 Peter 3:1) The book of 2 Peter was addressed primarily to Jewish Christians. "Jude, a servant of Jesus Christ and a brother of James, To those who have been called, who are loved by God the Father and kept by Jesus Christ:" (Jude 1:1) The book of Jude was addressed primarily to Jewish Christians. I have posted Scriptural examples where Israel is distinguished from the Church, and also examples where there is a distinction between Jews and Gentiles within the Church, and that there are entire books (or portions of books) in the New Testament which are specifically addressed to Jews or to Gentiles within the Church. All of these passages provide further evidence (in addition to the great weight of evidence which we have already seen) that Gentile Christians do not become "spiritual Jews" and that the Church has not "replaced" Israel.