Are ghosts real?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are ghosts real?

• Total voters

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It seems that people have been making claims of ghost sightings for a long time and over various cultures. I have never seen a ghost or witnessed any supernatural activity so I'm not sure.
How about you?
Do you think ghosts real?
Have you seen a ghost or experienced any paranormal activity?
What's your explanation for them?
Are these souls trapped or afraid to approach the light?
Does the bible say anything about ghosts?

Reactions: Nancy and L.A.M.B.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are “ghosts”, but it’s really spirits (angels or devils); Not deceased people.

I was reading my King James Bible after midnight one night and the table I was holding my Bible on shook and the chair on the other side moved. That was a spirit. To this day I don’t know if it was of God or some evil spirit that hated the fact that I was engrossed in the scriptures that night.

I was freaked out by this experience for a few days after.

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Colossians 1:16
For BY HIM were all things created, that are in heaven,and that are in earth,VISIBLE and INVISIBLE,whether they be thrones or dominions,or principalities,or powers: all things were created by him and for him.

Mt.27: 50 Jesus,when he had cried again with a loud voice,yielded up the ghost (aka spirit )

They thought Jesus was a ghost before his ascension. Jesus had to tell Thomas to touch his scars and know he was real.

Man has seen things outside the realm of possibility for ages. There is definetly a spirit world surrounding us that is invisible!

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Absolutely!
When Saul went to the witch of Endor to have her call up Samuel the Prophet some say she called up a demon impersonating him. Not so, she got Samuel the propnhet and ge told Saul the message from God exactly what would befall him!
1Samuel 28

Reactions: Michiah-Imla

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Absolutely!
When Saul went to the witch of Endor to have her call up Samuel the Prophet some say she called up a demon impersonating him. Not so, she got Samuel the propnhet and ge told Saul the message from God exactly what would befall him!
1Samuel 28

This isn't true. First of all the scriptures say because of the womans description of the person she was seeing Saul said it was Gods Prophet Samuel. That isn't proof that it was Gods Prophet Samuel. God tells the Israelites to have nothing to do with those who speak to the dead. You honestly think God was pleased with what Saul did when he associated with a person who talked to the dead, when he had commanded the people to not have anything to do with any person who talked to the dead.

Also the scriptures said that God would not speak to Saul, but you believe that God could be forced to speak with Saul by some person who spoke to the dead. If God would not speak to Saul when Saul prayed to him or God wouldn't use any of his prophets to speak to Saul, you think God would use a demonic way of communication to speak to Saul, when the scriptures are very clear that God doesn't talk to his people at anytime through demonic means of communication.You believe that God would approve anyone including the prophet Samuel to communicate through demonic means of communication.

The reason God told the Israelites to not have anything to do with those who spoke to the dead was, the dead are dead. A human being that has died doesn't exist any longer. Genesis 2:7 is proof of that. It takes a combination of a flesh and blood body with the breath of life(spirit) in that flesh and blood body that makes a living soul or living person. The breath of life(spirit) on it's own without the flesh and blood body isn't a living soul or living person. So those who say they speak to the dead are liars and if they actually do speak to someone it's a demon they are speaking and it's a demon speaking to them.

Reactions: JohnPaul

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Are ghosts real?
If you mean the manifestations of evil spirits, Yes
If you mean spirits of the departed dead, No

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
demons are real ghosts are not.

I have four ghost stories and one of them was witnessed with my mother and I.

Now, depending on how you classify ghosts it appears that the Bible speaks of ghosts after Christ was resurrected.

And apparently some of the Apostles believed in ghosts, because when they first saw Christ after the resurrection, they thought He was a ghost.

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This isn't true. First of all the scriptures say because of the womans description of the person she was seeing Saul said it was Gods Prophet Samuel. That isn't proof that it was Gods Prophet Samuel. God tells the Israelites to have nothing to do with those who speak to the dead. You honestly think God was pleased with what Saul did when he associated with a person who talked to the dead, when he had commanded the people to not have anything to do with any person who talked to the dead.

Also the scriptures said that God would not speak to Saul, but you believe that God could be forced to speak with Saul by some person who spoke to the dead. If God would not speak to Saul when Saul prayed to him or God wouldn't use any of his prophets to speak to Saul, you think God would use a demonic way of communication to speak to Saul, when the scriptures are very clear that God doesn't talk to his people at anytime through demonic means of communication.You believe that God would approve anyone including the prophet Samuel to communicate through demonic means of communication.

The reason God told the Israelites to not have anything to do with those who spoke to the dead was, the dead are dead. A human being that has died doesn't exist any longer. Genesis 2:7 is proof of that. It takes a combination of a flesh and blood body with the breath of life(spirit) in that flesh and blood body that makes a living soul or living person. The breath of life(spirit) on it's own without the flesh and blood body isn't a living soul or living person. So those who say they speak to the dead are liars and if they actually do speak to someone it's a demon they are speaking and it's a demon speaking to them.
Exactly the dead are dead.

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It seems that people have been making claims of ghost sightings for a long time and over various cultures. I have never seen a ghost or witnessed any supernatural activity so I'm not sure.
How about you?
Have you seen a ghost or experienced any paranormal activity?
What's your explanation for them?
Are these souls trapped or afraid to approach the light?
Does the bible say anything about ghosts?
I have seen ghost.
3 ghost once in my room going out down the hall, I was woken up at the middle of the night, taped on the shoulder like my dad would do to get up for work. I would of been no more than 11yo.
Then the next time I seen one I would of been 19yo or 20yo and it was at the dump high up in a tree, same thing ! and a mate said he seen it at a glance and it was gone. we were out at the dump way out of town with abo mates late at night and we were going to cook up a goose, there were fires everywhere at that huge dump. I did not tell the abos, as they are scared of all such things.

But as to what or why I do not know at all but all of the ghost came across as to be friendly. Not evil at all what soever !

I have never seen a ghost now for 40years. Never thought about such things that I seen being bad at all.

So ghost must be real !

Never had any experience of anything other than that.

All that I can say is they were watching me and content. I can not think of why.

But as to bad spirits I think such has to do with just idiots being stupid.

My elder brother seen a Helix once and a Mate said he seen one when he was in Romania, described the same thing as my brother said, so this thing was like a warped clear circle that just came to them for a wile and then left, it was like a warp in time ? much like a ripple ? like one tossed a stone in water, but only the outer rim can be seen distorted somewhat like water ripple, so they say.

Why I think it's a Helix is because on Doctor Who such a thing was sort of as such, it's called Mandragora Helix. The Masque of Mandragora. made in 1976. A energy bubble of sorts ?

Reactions: Michiah-Imla

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One shouldn't believe in such things, as Barney said the dead are dead.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Of course they are real. They are evil spirits masquerading as people. When the disciples saw Jesus walking on the water, they thought they were seeing a ghost (spirit), and Christ had to calm them down. Then when the resurrected Lord appeared to them suddenly while they were gathered together, they also thought they were seeing a ghost (spirit). Again Christ had to show them that He was not a spirit, since He had flesh and bones.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
One shouldn't believe in such things, as Barney said the dead are dead.
In response please note:

1. The dead are not "dead" but very much alive in either Heaven or Hades. The body is in the grave but the soul and spirit are not.

2. Ghosts simply masquerade as dead loved ones, since those who have passed on do not return to earth.

3. During seances, it is evil spirits who pretend to be someone else, but often they also identify themselves as evil spirits.

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course they are real. They are evil spirits masquerading as people. When the disciples saw Jesus walking on the water, they thought they were seeing a ghost (spirit), and Christ had to calm them down. Then when the resurrected Lord appeared to them suddenly while they were gathered together, they also thought they were seeing a ghost (spirit). Again Christ had to show them that He was not a spirit, since He had flesh and bones.

Back then virtually everyone believed in ghosts. Neither the gospel writers nor the readers they wrote for would have doubted the existence of ghosts for a minute. But that doesn't make ghosts real. The bible verses recounting what the disciples thought when they saw Jesus walking on the water (Matthew 14:26, Mark 6:49) -- if accurate -- prove nothing more than what they thought.

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Back then virtually everyone believed in ghosts.
What makes you think today is any different? If anything evil spirits are even more active right now than they were a few years ago. And you are trying to make the apostles look like ignoramuses, which is rather foolish.

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What makes you think today is any different? If anything evil spirits are even more active right now than they were a few years ago. And you are trying to make the apostles look like ignoramuses, which is rather foolish.

Obviously I haven't taken a worldwide poll, so I cannot say definitively that belief in ghosts is less prevalent today than 2,000 years ago -- but that is certainly my sense of this modern "scientific" age.

I'm not trying to make the apostles, or anyone else who believed in ghosts back then, look ignorant. They were imbued with the common beliefs of their era, and I won't fault anyone for being a child of his times. (Likewise, I criticize nobody back then for adopting the view that the world was flat. Doesn't make them "ignoramuses," as I interpret that word.)

While I don't personally believe in ghosts, I won't criticize you for believing in them either.