Are Souls Burned Forever And Ever?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

forgivenWretch

Feb 10, 2008
Tennessee
Is Your Soul Eternal?Was all of that really the message of Scripture that God wants mankind to know about the wicked dead? Let's look into the eternal record for ourselves as the Bereans did (Acts 17:11). The first passage we need to notice is Rev. 20:10: The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where the beast and the false prophet are. And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever (NKJV).The pronoun they in that verse refers back to the devil, the beast (or antichrist) and the false prophet. In other words, the devil and some humans will suffer this eternal fate. So, according to Scripture, their eternal destiny will be torment day and night forever and ever. From this we can also conclude that the souls of the antichrist and false prophet are eternal, since they won't be annihilated out of existence. This same truth is repeatedly substantiated throughout Scripture.Moreover, the Greek word translated tormented in Rev. 20:10, with its meaning, is: basanizo, bas-an-id'-zo; from G931; to torture:--pain, toil, torment, toss, vex.Basanizo(6) is found elsewhere: And suddenly they [demons] cried out, saying, "What have we to do with You, Jesus, You Son of God? Have You come here to torment us before the time?" (Mt. 8:29, NKJV).That verse reveals that the demons already know what their future destiny will be, that is, torment not annihilation. Consequently, this verse and Rev. 20:10 together give us in-depth insights into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels: Then He will also say to those on the left hand, "Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels" (Mt. 25:41, NKJV).Such everlasting fire that the Lord spoke of in Mt. 25:41 was specially prepared for spirit beings to be tormented in forever (Rev. 20:10; Mt. 8:29). According to that verse, Rev. 20:10 and Mt. 25:46 people will also go into this special fire. And these ["goats"] shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal (KJV).The Greek word for "punishment" in this verse also means torment: kolasis, kol'-as-is; from G2849; penal infliction:—punishment, torment.Again, the evidence shows that the wicked dead go to "everlasting torment," according to Jesus' teaching and can't possibly be construed to mean annihilation.(7) (If they were annihilated, they couldn't experience everlasting torment.) All people likened unto goats will be thrown into the same fire prepared for the devil and his angels, which collaborates with the clear teaching of Rev. 20:10. Geenna or GehennaLike the SDA, the aggressive JW also oppose the doctrine of eternal, conscious torment of the wicked dead as shown. Two of the Scriptures that have been misused by them for this are Mt. 10:28 and Lk. 12:4, 5: Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell [geenna] (NIV).And I say to you, My friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do. But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear Him who, after He has killed, has power to cast into hell [geenna]; yes, I say to you, fear Him! (NKJV).Annihilationist, Clark Pinnock, also cites Mt. 10:28 in a similar way: Our Lord spoke plainly of God's judgment as the annihilation of the wicked when he warned about God's ability to destroy body and soul in hell (Mt. 10:28).(8)(The Greek word translated Hell in Mt. 10:28 and Lk. 12:5 is geenna. Other verses in which this word is found are: Mt. 5:22, 29, 30; 18:9; 23:15, 33; Mk. 9:43, 45, 47; Jam. 3:6. Jesus was the only one to use geenna, except James in that one verse.)The JW mistakenly understand geenna (or gehenna) to mean: We have also learned that Gehenna does not mean a place of torment, but is used in the Bible as a symbol of everlasting destruction.(9)Destroy Not AnnihilateFrom Mt. 10:28 and Lk. 12:4, 5, we must conclude that those who get cast into hell (geenna) have both their soul and body destroyed there. However, the word translated destroy (apollumi), as used in Mt. 10:28, doesn't mean annihilate. Beside Rev. 20:10 as proof for this, we also can easily deduce this by examining two other verses where this same Greek word is used but rendered perish and lost respectively: Neither do men put new wine into old bottles: else the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish [apollumi]: but they put new wine into new bottles, and both are preserved (Mt. 9:17, KJV)."For this my son was dead and is alive again; he was lost [apollumi] and is found." And they began to be merry (Lk. 15:24, NKJV).Again, this Greek word can't be equated with annihilate. We know this because the wine bottles that perished would still be in existence, but ruined for the purpose for which they were intended. Moreover, the prodigal was not annihilated when he was lost, but was fully conscious in that spiritual state.Furthermore, if one was annihilated in geenna he could not experience "torment" forever and ever, as clearly expressed in Rev. 20:10. Furthermore, that same passage is even more clear when one considers Rev. 19:20 with it. Here they are together: Then the beast was captured, and with him the false prophet who worked signs in his presence, by which he deceived those who received the mark of the beast and those who worshiped his image. These two were cast alive into the lake of fire burning with brimstone (Rev. 19:20, NKJV).And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever (Rev. 20:10, NIV).Clearly then, the devil, the false prophet and the antichrist will all experience everlasting punishment, that is, torment without end forever, but not utter destruction, as some teach. This is even more clear when we notice that "the beast and false prophet" were thrown into the lake of burning sulfur 1,000 years before the devil gets there, that is, at the beginning of the Millennium (Rev. 19:20), yet these same humans were not annihilated in the lake of fire at the end of the Millennium (Rev. 20:10)!Remember also that this fire was prepared for spirit beings, and is something we have never seen or know anything about, except what is revealed in the Bible. To, therefore, argue that this same fire can't be literal because fire emanates light and the opposite, that is, blackest darkness has been reserved for the unsaved (2 Pet. 2:17; Jude 13, NIV) doesn't follow, since such an argument is based on what we know about a fire that cannot torment spirit beings. Isn't it possible that the fire that will torment forever can emanate darkness? http://www.evangelicaloutreach.org/eternaltorment.htm

forgivenWretch

Feb 10, 2008
Tennessee
Jesus spoke of everlasting destruction - their worm NEVER dies. He called the place of destruction "gehenna" which was the name of the rubbish dump outside Jerusalem - where rubbish burned all the time... Isaiah 66:24 is a good picture of the eternal soul too.("And they will go out and look upon the dead bodies of those who rebelled against me; their worm will not die, nor will their fire be quenched, and they will be loathsome to all mankind.")

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Jesus spoke of everlasting destruction - their worm NEVER dies. He called the place of destruction "gehenna" which was the name of the rubbish dump outside Jerusalem - where rubbish burned all the time... Isaiah 66:24 is a good picture of the eternal soul too.("And they will go out and look upon the dead bodies of those who rebelled against me; their worm will not die, nor will their fire be quenched, and they will be loathsome to all mankind.")
And He also says all former things will not be remembered So if you have no memory of anything what is the point of making all things New and wiping out our memory? To keep reminding us of something we can not remember ?????... If you are comfortable believing your loving father gets a kick out of torturing people forever when no one would even remember why suit yourself you can find plenty of men to agree with you ..The Catholic church will say you are right they burn forever ..So your post of men's opinions doesn't prove anything I could copy paste the opposite opinion Its just a difference of opinion between men ...thats why there is a conteversy men say both ... Im only telling you As a Bible/scripture study site our view is scripture doesn't support this ...But all free to believe as they will

forgivenWretch

Feb 10, 2008
Tennessee
The bible most definitely supports it, it's your intrepretation that does not. I did not come here to argue, nor accuse anyone of being wrong. Who is to say who is right. I guarantee that we both are not 100% correct, and that is ok.So, how do deem my scripture support not biblical and yours is? What gives any of us that authority?

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
The bible most definitely supports it, it's your intrepretation that does not. I did not come here to argue, nor accuse anyone of being wrong. Who is to say who is right. I guarantee that we both are not 100% correct, and that is ok.So, how do deem my scripture support not biblical and yours is? What gives any of us that authority?
So God Himself that says it on Ezekiel 18:4, 20 is being excluded and that our Father is a liar? So that death does not mean death (to die) at all? How about Lord Jesus Christ at Matthew 10:28? Is he lying that God will kill the soul if they follow Satan?

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
your the one arguing you asked and several have answered several times with what scripture says but you keep arguing and posting mens words like that proves something ..Im simply saying believe what you like but this site holds to the fact the language and scripture takes the view its not supported ... As I told you Sodom and Gomorah are not still burning ..Its not my job to convince you just tell you what to the best of my ability the Bible says ... What you chose to believe is your choice ...

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
How do you deem your mens words right over my mens words? Fact is we both have 50/50 chance of being right. Do your Words fit with all of scripture? or are basing your view on your english understaning of one word in a verse?Even though it causes contradictions else where ? That the word is used elsewhere with differnt conitation.. have you studied the Greek do you understand the second death... That we are more than just flesh .... Do you understand what a New Heaven new earth is/means do you get that we have no memory of this age.. That all things will be New that there is no sin no death no hell so therefore no torture ..Do you understand its not in Gods nature to torment anyone for ever ...Do you understand the second death is the death of the soul without a soul there is nothing .... All this evidence taken together and knowing there are no contradictions in Gods Word ....Knowing we have a loving God ...overides the English translation of a single Word IMHO. Add many years of study 1000 arguments and the fact no one has made it fit the all of scripture the way you see it ...understanding Gods Word only says one right thing .. without contradiction. Knowing that all wisdom comes from God not men ... All this and more makes me believe Im right..That the odds fall on my side .. But as I said you are free to believe what ever you choose for whatever reasons you choose ... I only present the best evidence I can for the best reasons I can it fits all of Gods Word

forgivenWretch

Feb 10, 2008
Tennessee
All this and more makes me believe Im right..That the odds fall on my side .. But as I said you are free to believe what ever you choose for whatever reasons you choose ... I only present the best evidence I can for the best reasons I can it fits all of Gods Word I could have not said it better myself, my sentients exactly...thanks! So neither one of us can claim who's right, and that is ok. All that really matters is that we are born again Christians, following in Christ's steps, striving to be more like Him.
your the one arguing you asked and several have answered several times with what scripture says but you keep arguing and posting mens words like that proves something ..Im simply saying believe what you like but this site holds to the fact the language and scripture takes the view its not supported ... As I told you Sodom and Gomorah are not still burning ..Its not my job to convince you just tell you what to the best of my ability the Bible says ... What you chose to believe is your choice ...
Is not one of the most important rules of a forum...'attack the post not the poster'? From the get go, every response made to what I have said has been directed at me and not at what I presented. And just to make things clear, all of the posts made in response to mine have just a many "man words" as mine are claimed to have.Why do things have to be this way? Why can we not simply discuss things without the accusations that someone is wrong? I have been a member here for a while now. I left, because of the personal attacks. I came back, hoping things might be different, but I guess not. I ask very simple questions only to have them twisted and given back, which imho, only go to prove that an answer is truly not available.Since when must a poster "follow the leader" to be apart of the board. I must have missed that in the rules. Well, guess, it's time to leave again. May God pour out His blessings in your life every day, and share His never ending love.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
I have asked you questions and answered your questions and told you to believe what you like I have not attacked you.. If you think asking hard questions to make one think and consider their postion is an attack then its on your head not mine.Do you know the differance in one speaking to you and attacking you ? seems your idea of an attack is not asking you to consider and think about what you are saying. .............And thats the my whole point your view does cause contradictions as several have shown you It does not fit with all of scripture. And its is only one possable meaning of one word it has other meanings ....So your reasons for your veiw are not the same as mine. And Im done discussing this with you. Sense you think you are being attacked11.And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark except for the fact that its the smoke that rises forever and ever ...and in the New heaven and new earth death and hell are destroyed and there is no night Rev 21:25 And the gates of it shall not be shut at all by day: for there shall be no night there. Matthew 10:28 - And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.Rev 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.Second Death the soul dies hell and death die that is cease to exist...Then what happens This is the End of the Age which is what the words can mean Revelation 211And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. The heavens and the earth are made new ... 2And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. 3And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God. 4And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. Does one think only some former things passed away? 5And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful. How many things are made new ???? ALL 6And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely. 7He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son. 23The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp. 24The nations will walk by its light, and the kings of the earth will bring their splendor into it. 25On no day will its gates ever be shut, for there will be no night there. 26The glory and honor of the nations will be brought into it.27Nothing impure will ever enter it, nor will anyone

Status
Not open for further replies.