Are tattoos an addiction?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is getting tattooed an 'addiction'?

• Yes and it's always a bad 'addiciton'.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but faith based tattooing can in a sense be healthy in witness

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Okay so are tattoos an addiction, in a manner of speaking?

And if they are faith based, and lead to witness conversations with ppl, can they be described as healthy addictions?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
StanJ said:
@farouk
Haven't seen you around here in a long time but I see you're still kinda hung up on tattoos?
Anyway good to see you again.
Good to see you also.

So you think hung up? All I can say, so many Christians have them and find faith based ones effective in witness.

Did you vote in the poll yet? :)

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
farouk said:
Good to see you also.

So you think hung up? All I can say, so many Christians have them and find faith based ones effective in witness.

Did you vote in the poll yet? :)
Well maybe not hung up... How about focused?
I'm sure I have expressed to you before that tattoos are very personal thing and not a whole lot different than wearing short or long hair as far as I'm concerned. Yes faith-based ones can be effective in sharing the good news but their effectiveness is minimal in my opinion. The thing that Christians shouldn't do is condemn others who have them because of some twisted understanding out of Old Testament law.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
StanJ said:
Well maybe not hung up... How about focused?
I'm sure I have expressed to you before that tattoos are very personal thing and not a whole lot different than wearing short or long hair as far as I'm concerned. Yes faith-based ones can be effective in sharing the good news but their effectiveness is minimal in my opinion. The thing that Christians shouldn't do is condemn others who have them because of some twisted understanding out of Old Testament law.
Thanks for the comment.

My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also, and I'm sure other conversations have arisen because of her willingness to have it done.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
PS: I saw a quote which seems to show just how widespread ink has become among Christians; I see if I can dig it up.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I watched this British doco about tattoos and it seems that some folks just like their bodies tattooed whereas some people don't. I'm not sure it it's an addiction although I guess that anything can be an addiction if it consumes your life.

If you were already tattooed before you become a believer, it makes for interesting conversation but as a believer, I don't think I'd personally get something like John 3:16 permanently marked on my body. I would rather live the scripture rather than wear it. JMHO. :2ztacrk:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Angelina said:
I watched this British doco about tattoos and it seems that some folks just like their bodies tattooed whereas some people don't. I'm not sure it it's an addiction although I guess that anything can be an addiction if it consumes your life.

If you were already tattooed before you become a believer, it makes for interesting conversation but as a believer, I don't think I'd personally get something like John 3:16 permanently marked on my body. I would rather live the scripture rather than wear it. JMHO. :2ztacrk:
Angelina, Thanks for your comment. Like for example, it's not unusual for ppl to have tattoos before they are converted - in fact, it's extremely widespread. Sometimes the tattoo relates design-wise to the past life before conversion. For example, a woman with the name of an ex-bf (e.g., 'Bill') tattooed on her skin, might strongly wish to have the tattoo changed to something like 'Bible' instead, so that this past association literally out of sight and so that present faith is reflected (added to the fact that removal altogether can be difficult, costly and can leave the skin looking a mess).

So maybe getting a past tattoo changed can be understandable for some Christians to want?

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
PS: Here is the quote I managed to find, FYI:

QueenCat said:

Around here (Bible Belt), it is common, especially among evangelical Christians, for the girls under about 40 to have religious tattoos. More do than don't, especially when you get to the under 30 crowd. I hardly know any female at church that is under 30 that does not have a tattoo.

forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Angelina said:
I watched this British doco about tattoos and it seems that some folks just like their bodies tattooed whereas some people don't.
PS: Angelina:

I guess you guys in New Zealand have a particular perspective on this, right? So is it mainly Maori men that get tattooed or women also? Of course, I'm sure that Pakeha women as well as men do it,not necessarily in tribal style though.

(For Maori, I guess it's less of an addiction than a way of life. Similar comment for Samoans, I reckon.)

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My opinion is that tattoos are important to the individual who gets them, to be able to identify. They want to identify with something and be seen as part of that something. It could be culture, race, religion, whatever.

And I think the large movement today of getting tattoos speaks to the lack of identity people have, but want.

Stranger

Reactions: farouk

biotheist

Dec 28, 2016
farouk said:
Okay so are tattoos an addiction, in a manner of speaking?

And if they are faith based, and lead to witness conversations with ppl, can they be described as healthy addictions?
We all know (Well should know) that tattoos and cutting, marking the body was strictly forbidden.

[28] Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the Lord .

This is in Leviticus 19

Do we witness with our mouths or with the parts of our bodies?

Now my question is this

Did Jesus change his mind, or his fathers mind?