Are The Laws Done Away With?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SkyWriting

May 19, 2019
Milwaukee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's usually the people who have a hard time loving others that advocate an end to the laws of God. Trying to make God conform to the wishes of men is one of the oldest professions on earth. The others are....:rolleyes:

Aww...dad. Scripture that started it!

Romans 13:1-7
Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment. For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Would you have no fear of the one who is in authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive his approval, for he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer. Therefore one must be in subjection, not only to avoid God's wrath but also for the sake of conscience.

Reactions: Nancy

SkyWriting

May 19, 2019
Milwaukee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Except that now it is written on hearts and minds. That is far from obsolete.

ROMANS 8 (THE TEN COMMANDMENTS ARE NOT OBSOLETE)
7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.
8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:
9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.
10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:
11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.

And the first covenant is obsolete. Thanks for the passage!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I very rarely watch any video becasue of the difficulty in analysis compared to written content.
Just imagine.."The Bereans watched our streaming videos, then returned home to watch the The Old Testament on reel-to-reel film and compare the two films. "

If people cannot speak for themselves it is quite pathetic. we have one guy on here who can only send us to links and posts videos.
Obviously, he cannot say it in his own words. One is enough, we don't need two video posters.

Welcome to the site by the way. :)
I should have said that before now.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
This subject in my opinion, is of #2 importance when it comes to putting on the whole armour of God. I've grown up in an environment that expressed that it wasn't required or expedient to keep the laws of God. I attempt to shed light on the subject with this two part video.
God Bless!
And Jesus said Heaven and Earth will pass away before the Laws do.

Further Jesus challenged us.

" If you Love Me. You will obey/keep my commands."

When challenged about the commands Jesus turned to:-
Deut6:5 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength
and
Lev19:18 “‘Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against anyone among your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the Lord.

Does anyone really believe these have been cancelled?

Wafer

May 16, 2019
Yuma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So what are we talking about? You say "laws of God" as if you expect everybody to know what that means. That inspires a lot of silliness.

Genesis 17:10 King James Version (KJV)
10 This is my covenant, which ye shall keep, between me and you and thy seed after thee; Every man child among you shall be circumcised.

Whoa, waitaminnit! Can we talk? Is that a law of God? Let's get sensible, shall we? We have laws like gravity, and we have laws like speed limits, and we have laws like the ten commandments. One kind applies to everybody everwhere, one kind applies to people who happen to be in a certain place, and one kind applies to a certain group of people. Some kinds of law only apply to people who volunteer to be applied to.

Bottom line: Get "to whom" straight. Like a letter to your uncle, the bible is addressed to various groups of people, and advice to one group might or might not apply to another group. For example, The Revelation To St. John is addressed to Jews and contains a lot of Jewish expressions and speaks of a time when Christians are in heaven at the wedding supper of the lamb. That is why goyim can't understand it.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is a very small segment of the "Law." Is there anyone here who feels these should be ignored or cast aside?

To love all human beings who are of the covenant (Lev. 19:18) (CCA60). See Love and Brotherhood.
Not to stand by idly when a human life is in danger (Lev. 19:16) (CCN82). See Love and Brotherhood.
Not to wrong any one in speech (Lev. 25:17) (CCN48). See Speech and Lashon Ha-Ra.
Not to carry tales (Lev. 19:16) (CCN77). See Speech and Lashon Ha-Ra.
Not to cherish hatred in one's heart (Lev. 19:17) (CCN78). See Love and Brotherhood.
Not to take revenge (Lev. 19:18) (CCN80).
Not to bear a grudge (Lev. 19:18) (CCN81).
Not to put any Jew to shame (Lev. 19:17) (CCN79).
Not to curse any other Israelite (Lev. 19:14) (by implication: if you may not curse those who cannot hear, you certainly may not curse those who can) (CCN45).
Not to give occasion to the simple-minded to stumble on the road (Lev. 19:14) (this includes doing anything that will cause another to sin) (CCN76).
To rebuke the sinner (Lev. 19:17) (CCA72).
To relieve a neighbor of his burden and help to unload his beast (Ex. 23:5) (CCA70). See Love and Brotherhood.
To assist in replacing the load upon a neighbor's beast (Deut. 22:4) (CCA71). See Love and Brotherhood.
Not to leave a beast, that has fallen down beneath its burden, unaided (Deut. 22:4) (CCN183). See Love and Brotherhood.

Reactions: Helen and Nancy

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible is quite clear that written law is fulfilled.

Christ gave teachings we need to adhere to.

We are to love others as ourselves. A real tough one.

We are to study the Scriptures to learn codes of conduct And grow in sanctification.

The apostles gave teachings that we are to adhere to.

We are not to be legalists. Legalism is death.

I think it boils down to we are here to share the gospel with everyone. Follow the Bible to the best of our ability. Follow the Bible, not a denomination. And study the Bible prayerfully listening to the Holy Spirit.

The Bible never tells us all we need is the Holy Spirit. And never tells us all we need is the Bible. It tells us we need both.

Once born again we cannot go back to what we were. If we can we were never born again.

You cannot earn salvation. But if born again you will do works of salvation.

Salvation is not difficult to gain, it is gained through faith. But it is difficult to live.

Remember, if born again we are in this world but not of this world. We are traveling through to our real home.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is a very small segment of the "Law." Is there anyone here who feels these should be ignored or cast aside?

To love all human beings who are of the covenant (Lev. 19:18) (CCA60). See Love and Brotherhood.
Not to stand by idly when a human life is in danger (Lev. 19:16) (CCN82). See Love and Brotherhood.
Not to wrong any one in speech (Lev. 25:17) (CCN48). See Speech and Lashon Ha-Ra.
Not to carry tales (Lev. 19:16) (CCN77). See Speech and Lashon Ha-Ra.
Not to cherish hatred in one's heart (Lev. 19:17) (CCN78). See Love and Brotherhood.
Not to take revenge (Lev. 19:18) (CCN80).
Not to bear a grudge (Lev. 19:18) (CCN81).
Not to put any Jew to shame (Lev. 19:17) (CCN79).
Not to curse any other Israelite (Lev. 19:14) (by implication: if you may not curse those who cannot hear, you certainly may not curse those who can) (CCN45).
Not to give occasion to the simple-minded to stumble on the road (Lev. 19:14) (this includes doing anything that will cause another to sin) (CCN76).
To rebuke the sinner (Lev. 19:17) (CCA72).
To relieve a neighbor of his burden and help to unload his beast (Ex. 23:5) (CCA70). See Love and Brotherhood.
To assist in replacing the load upon a neighbor's beast (Deut. 22:4) (CCA71). See Love and Brotherhood.
Not to leave a beast, that has fallen down beneath its burden, unaided (Deut. 22:4) (CCN183). See Love and Brotherhood.

There's not a one that I do not agree and strive to adhere to above! BUT...I might have a problem or two with these ones, lol:
  • I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?
  • I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?
  • A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination (Lev. 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don’t agree. Can you settle this?
  • Leviticus 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?
  • Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Leviticus 19:27. How should they die?
  • I know from Leviticus 11:6–8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?
  • My uncle has a farm. He violates Leviticus 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). . . .

Reactions: Helen and Willie T

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This subject in my opinion, is of #2 importance when it comes to putting on the whole armour of God. I've grown up in an environment that expressed that it wasn't required or expedient to keep the laws of God. I attempt to shed light on the subject with this two part video.
God Bless!

The scriptures clearly tell us that it's exercising faith in John 3:16 that's how you gain eternal life not obeying any law. If obedience to any law could save us then there would have been no need for God to send his Only Begotten Son to die for mankind. It's the law of love we are obedient to today, not to save ourselves but we are to follow the example of love that the Only True God Jehovah and his Only Begotten Son Expresses toward mankind. Obeying the law of love means you don't kill someone you love or steal from someone you love or bear false witness against someone you love, etc. If you however tell people they have to observe the Sabbath day commandment or they have to be circumcised or obey the law of Moses to be a Christian or be a servant of God then you have gone too far, it's faith in the ransom sacrifice that saved you makes you a follower of Christ and a servant of God.

Jon Mathews

May 7, 2019
indianapolis, in
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God Bless!

First, you must understand that there are 2 Laws....

1) The Old Covenant Law of Moses, written on tables of stone and in ordinances and statutes, referred to as the law of sin and death that reigns in our mortal bodies.
2) The New Covenant Law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus, written on our hearts by the Holy Spirit, the New Covenant teachings of Jesus Christ and the Apostles, at work in our minds (aka hearts).

#2 (New Covenant Law) is the only set of commands a Christian is required to obey, and by the Spirit, we already do keep them. They are more numerous (1,000+) as compared with the Old Covenant (613), and some from the Old still exist in the New, such as "Love the Lord your God with all your heart", but some from the Old do NOT exist in the New, such as forbidding to eat pork, cleanliness standards, Saturday sabath, etc.

The reason Christians do NOT have to keep the Law (#1) above is because Jesus Christ already fulfilled the entire #1 Law, died, rose again, and gives us the New Covenant Law (#2).

So YES, we who obey God are ALWAYS under God's Law, but the Law of God in Jesus Christ is DIFFERENT than the Law of Moses in the Old Covenant. Moses' Law was ordained to bring Life, meaning it points us to Jesus Christ. Anyone seeking to live by keeping Moses' Law is under the curse of Death in the Law, because apart from being IN Christ, no man can keep the Law of Moses... "for all have sinned" and "all your righteousness is as filthy rags". In Christ, we already have the Righteousness of God in Him, and therefore we keep the New Covenant commands of Jesus because His Spirit enables us to obey what God now requires. Trying to keep the Law of Moses will never bring you life because it was designed to bring you to Christ Jesus. Early messianic Jews believing in Jesus Christ tried to teach gentile christians that keeping the Law of Moses was still required, but Paul saw that heresy and the Holy Spirit in Paul rebuked Peter when Peter was tempted to side with the early church heretics teaching Grace+Law.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not the least bit Calvinistic, but I do lean heavily toward Christian Reconstructionism. I think they have doctrine that more closely follows what God expects of us than any other denomination. And that means I believe following many of the laws is still God's desire for man.
So, Willie-do you advocate for the return of the penal law in Moses day? :eek:

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, Willie-do you advocate for the return of the penal law in Moses day? :eek:
In many cases, I do. Hypothetically, the guy who may have raped you, and got off with a slap on the wrist... would not get the chance to rape your little sister a few years later if there were more people viewing God's laws that way.

Of course that would be an extreme situation, and not at all what Christian Reconstruction advocates... but we cannot deny it is what God gave to us. ("Yes", just like you, I once thought that was what CR was all about, also. Then, I spent some months learning the truth.)

For one thing, we would not be looking at 60,000 abortions in just the United States, alone, since Roe v. Wade.

Last edited:

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And, I spent 24 years defending and working to rehabilitate Sex Offenders. (Yes, I still believe in it.)

Last edited:

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In many cases, I do. Hypothetically, the guy who may have raped you, and got off with a slap on the wrist... would not get the chance to rape your little sister a few years later if there were more people viewing God's laws that way.

Of course that would be an extreme situation, and not at all what Christian Reconstruction advocates... but we cannot deny it is what God gave to us. ("Yes", just like you, I once thought that was what CR was all about, also. Then, I spent some months learning the truth.)

For one thing, we would not be looking at 60,000 abortions in just the United States, alone, since Roe v. Wade.

I think I would like to see him castrated instead :D