Are there any canners/fermenting people here?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I decided I may take the plunge into canning because I think I might need it.

I know nothing about canning except that it scares me just a little. I have a pressure cooker and I think I would like my budget for supplies to be between $20-35. I have no idea where to learn.

Can someone help me know what to do?

Note: The instant pot is the ONLY thing I have to cook with, so whatever I do, it will need to be in that.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I decided I may take the plunge into canning because I think I might need it.

I know nothing about canning except that it scares me just a little. I have a pressure cooker and I think I would like my budget for supplies to be between $20-35. I have no idea where to learn.

Can someone help me know what to do?

Note: The instant pot is the ONLY thing I have to cook with, so whatever I do, it will need to be in that.
When I was a kid, we'd stew fruits and vegetables, and pour them hot into jars. We'd put those jars into a large pot filled with boiling water, and as teh contents of the jars were boiling, we'd melt wax and pour it over the top to seal it as it boiled. Then we'd screw on the canning lids.

I guess you can just use the canning lids. I don't know why we poured the wax, but it was fun to eat later.

Much love!

Reactions: dev553344

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I was a kid, we'd stew fruits and vegetables, and pour them hot into jars. We'd put those jars into a large pot filled with boiling water, and as teh contents of the jars were boiling, we'd melt wax and pour it over the top to seal it as it boiled. Then we'd screw on the canning lids.

I guess you can just use the canning lids. I don't know why we poured the wax, but it was fun to eat later.

Much love!
It's funny but I was remembering while I made my post how my mom boiled the jars and put the lids on when she canned. I guess that's how you get the vacuum seal that preserves the contents of the jar. Not familiar with the wax thing, though.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's funny but I was remembering while I made my post how my mom boiled the jars and put the lids on when she canned. I guess that's how you get the vacuum seal that preserves the contents of the jar. Not familiar with the wax thing, though.
I think maybe she didn't trust the seal.

Much love!

Reactions: Ferris Bueller

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Are there any canners/fermenting people here?
I've wondered about the fermenting bit......if they keep it up long enough would they become alcoholic? :)

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!
Yes they have rubber seal lids on glass bottles that screw on that you can buy. I'm not familiar with the process except that it must be super hot and then cool and if the lid is bulged up or doesn't vacuum open then the food is spoiled. Same thing with canned goods. If the bulging happens that is an indication of bacteria growth.

My mom used to can and sometimes I would use the jars for my experiments in chemistry. But I remember the screw ring and metal with rubber seal lids.

Reactions: marks

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't remember anything about wax...

Tomorrow, if God wills, I plan to go pick up a cabbage and make some sauerkraut.

I think I'm just going to get pop jars though and use it for short term, because I have no idea about canning sauerkraut.

I think the last time I did can something it was maybe over 10 years ago and it was strawberry syrup.. Because I messed up the jam badly. Apparently you can't just buy refrigerated strawberries or something.

And a while ago I unintentionally made sima with honey and lemons. I had made a jar ready for tea and forgot about it for a few days. I don't drink, so I dumped it out.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I don't remember anything about wax...

Tomorrow, if God wills, I plan to go pick up a cabbage and make some sauerkraut.

I think I'm just going to get pop jars though and use it for short term, because I have no idea about canning sauerkraut.

I think the last time I did can something it was maybe over 10 years ago and it was strawberry syrup.. Because I messed up the jam badly. Apparently you can't just buy refrigerated strawberries or something.

And a while ago I unintentionally made sima with honey and lemons. I had made a jar ready for tea and forgot about it for a few days. I don't drink, so I dumped it out.
@FluffyYellowDuck You need to get the ingredients just right.... :)

When I made sth years ago it turned out well; then the next time the ingredients were a bit inexact...and it wasn't a success.....

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes they have rubber seal lids on glass bottles that screw on that you can buy. I'm not familiar with the process except that it must be super hot and then cool and if the lid is bulged up or doesn't vacuum open then the food is spoiled. Same thing with canned goods. If the bulging happens that is an indication of bacteria growth.

My mom used to can and sometimes I would use the jars for my experiments in chemistry. But I remember the screw ring and metal with rubber seal lids.
When you boil the contents in the jar, the contents expand, and you put the lid on, let it cool, and as the contents contract, it pulls the lid against the seal, and the ring just keeps it from getting knocked out of place.

Much love!

Reactions: DuckieLady

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
My Grandmother had these special lids that were in two parts. A disk and a threaded ring. I think you let the disk sit on the jar while it boils to purge the air from it and kill bacteria. A vacuum forms due to contracting steam and the disk sticks to the top. Then the ring secures the lid better.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My Grandmother had these special lids that were in two parts. A disk and a threaded ring. I think you let the disk sit on the jar while it boils to purge the air from it and kill bacteria. A vacuum forms due to contracting steam and the disk sticks to the top. Then the ring secures the lid better.
Yeah, so that's all there is too it. Easy peasy!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you use frozen strawberries? I've recently learned that defrosted strawberrys are mush.

Much love!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are sometimes food parish places that give out food to people who can not afford many groceries. Sometimes will carpool another person who may decide to go with me. There may be something in your local area that does that and a friend may take you?

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you use frozen strawberries? I've recently learned that defrosted strawberrys are mush.

Much love!
If I remember right I got them at a farmers market. They weren't frozen but they must have been too cold...

prolly the easiest way to start fermenting...i take it you dont have a scoby yet or anything?
how's the kraut coming btw?
Not yet! I haven't done anything at all. I went to pick then up, but felt like it wasn't time for me to get the jars yet... I know that's stupid but it didn't feel like I needed them yet.

But I do need them when it is time.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I remember my stepmother tricked me into canning tomatoes one summer. She said she couldn't because her "feminine" thing was upon her and it would cause the tomatoes to sour or ferment.

Found out after it was done that it wasn't true....;)