Are there prophets today?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the Old Testament, God sent prophets to tell God's people they were screwing-up and needed to change their ways. Nobody wants to hear that stuff. No wonder prophets get stoned.

Last edited:
Reactions: TonyChanYT

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nah. At least here in the US, the church is a 501(c)(3) non-prophet organization.
Actually, while many [probably most] church groups have filed for status with the IRS as non-profit organizations under 501(c)(3) so as to be exempt from taxation, there are at least a few that have not. If they have not so filed, they are subject to taxes like any business under the IRC [Internal Revenue Code].

Note that an exemption under 501(c)(3) is not the same as the tax-exempt status of individual ministers. Ministers, as individuals, may choose to be tax-exempt. When I was still working for Social Security I had to deal with both.

The question for them [church groups or individuals] might be whether or not being tax exempt violates the intent of "be ye separate", "Be ye not unequally yokes with unbelievers] and a few other scriptural verses or not. Of course, there would usually be a financial advantage to taking an exemption.

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, while many [probably most] church groups have filed for status with the IRS as non-profit organizations under 501(c)(3) so as to be exempt from taxation, there are at least a few that have not. If they have not so filed, they are subject to taxes like any business under the IRC [Internal Revenue Code].

Note that an exemption under 501(c)(3) is not the same as the tax-exempt status of individual ministers. Ministers, as individuals, may choose to be tax-exempt. When I was still working for Social Security I had to deal with both.

The question for them [church groups or individuals] might be whether or not being tax exempt violates the intent of "be ye separate", "Be ye not unequally yokes with unbelievers] and a few other scriptural verses or not. Of course, there would usually be a financial advantage to taking an exemption.
Render(Give) to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's.(souls) Perhaps it will take a prophet to explain to the churches that desire to be tax exempt, the meaning of these words.

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Render(Give) to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's.(souls) Perhaps it will take a prophet to explain to the churches that desire to be tax exempt, the meaning of these words.
Even so... but is not that which is rendered to Caesar not also a part of that rendered to God? What really does God not own?

Would the property taxes, if they were assessed against church buildings cause some to lose their buildings?

But all of this is off topic...

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A prophet is the "mouthpiece" for God; prophecy has less to do with prognosticating future events than many believe. (As Peterlag already said.) However, making false predictions seems to be the litmus test for false prophets; see Deuteronomy 18:21-22.

If I remember correctly, Billy Graham said he considered himself an Evangelist, not a Prophet.
The Old Testament says to kill false prophets. It would make someone think twice before calling himself a prophet, I would think.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Old Testament says to kill false prophets. It would make someone think twice before calling himself a prophet, I would think.
Indeed and also no witches were allowed. King Saul was strong on making that his policy...yet when he wanted to find a witch his servants found one.

Reactions: Bob Estey

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ultimately, all believers are prophets!! We read in Matthew 28:19-20:

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, [even] unto the end of the world. Amen.

To God Be The Glory

Spyder

Jan 9, 2024
Holt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ultimately, all believers are prophets!! We read in Matthew 28:19-20:

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, [even] unto the end of the world. Amen.

To God Be The Glory
Only if one thinks that prophets don't speak prophecy.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only if one thinks that prophets don't speak prophecy.
A prophet is one who is sent, unless you have another definition or are you wiser than God?

If I spoke in tongues in my church and someone interprets for the edification of the congregation, would I be considered a prophet?

To God Be The Glory

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You need to define "prophet," I believe. God can use any person to pass a message along to another person. I suspect he does that all the time. But if you have to be famous to be a prophet, then who "qualifies"? Was Billy Graham a prophet?
A phrophet is one who describes a future event on behalf of or at the behest of God. Prophesy is one of the manifestations of the Spirit, commonly referred to as gifts of the Spirit, and is one of the "gifts" listed in 1 Cor 12:8-10. All those gifts have long ago ceased as was told they would in 1 Cor 13:8.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A phrophet is one who describes a future event on behalf of or at the behest of God. Prophesy is one of the manifestations of the Spirit, commonly referred to as gifts of the Spirit, and is one of the "gifts" listed in 1 Cor 12:8-10. All those gifts have long ago ceased as was told they would in 1 Cor 13:8.
What about 2 Peter 1:21? Scripture calls them prophets even in the Old Testament?

If I was a saved person would you consider me holy? Of course!!

To God Be The Glory

Last edited:

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What about 1 Peter 1:21? Scripture calls them prophets even in the Old Testament?

If I was a saved person would you consider me holy? Of course!!

To God Be The Glory
I don't know what you're point is. Yes, there were prophets for sure in the OT! Likewise in the NT. But not today. We have the complete word of God today and don't need "prophets" to reveal any future event.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know what you're point is. Yes, there were prophets for sure in the OT! Likewise in the NT. But not today. We have the complete word of God today and don't need "prophets" to reveal any future event.
I knew you wouldn't understand because you look at prophets to only prophesy future events, instead of what is described of them in 2 Peter 1:21.

To God Be The Glory

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Are there prophets today?​

'What does it profit a man if he gains the whole World yet looses his own soul'?