Are there prophets today?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think so.

There were prophets after the cross, Acts 11:

27 During this time some prophets came down from Jerusalem to Antioch.
John spoke of two future prophets in Revelation 11:

10 The inhabitants of the earth will gloat over them and will celebrate by sending each other gifts, because these two prophets had tormented those who live on the earth.
How do we tell whether a person is a prophet or not?

Deuteronomy 18:

22 If what a prophet proclaims in the name of the LORD does not take place or come true, that is a message the LORD has not spoken. That prophet has spoken presumptuously, so do not be alarmed.
1 Thessalonians 5:

18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. 19 Do not quench the Spirit. 20 Do not despise prophecies, 21 but test everything.
See also Your sons and daughters will prophesy.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think so.

Deuteronomy 18:

1 Thessalonians 5:

You need to define "prophet," I believe. God can use any person to pass a message along to another person. I suspect he does that all the time. But if you have to be famous to be a prophet, then who "qualifies"? Was Billy Graham a prophet?

Cyd

Nov 10, 2023
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think so.

Deuteronomy 18:

1 Thessalonians 5:

Hi Tony,
I did a search for prophets and saw this post. I had missed it when you posted it but thought I would find it in end times area as those are typically the watchers of things regarding the return of Messiah. Messiah sends prophets..

Matthew 23:34 Wherefore, behold, I send unto you prophets, and wise men, and scribes: and some of them ye shall kill and crucify; and some of them shall ye scourge in your synagogues, and persecute them from city to city:

For myself and watching all these years I do and have watched or should say go check them now and then to see what is out there going on with like Hank Kunnaman, Jeremiah Johnson, and one I check a little more often is also on youtube Dr Owuor prophecies as he has a lot of short clips. When I search them on youtube I always add the year to my search. I also will do global searches too using the year for them. Dr Owuor has prophecied a lot of judgement and even some wrath coming to certain nations. He has been pretty accurate.. I don't watch their teachings just when led to check what they have said re prophecy.

@Bob Estey Defining a prophet is done by God in Numbers 12 and Deut 13

I believe we have always had them as Messiah said He sent them. It is finding them and occasionally watching.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are prophets today. They encourage and support others to continue to look to Yahava, and they choose to love God and love others.

Predicating on what could happen in the future predictions can be estimated.

You could also say your an apostle “sent by God” but it’s not to confuse that all the twelve original apostles died. They were sent by God.

However there are no living prophets or apostles today because the last and greatest prophet on earth was Yeshua; though some may claim otherwise, or perhaps even suggest they are able to predict the future; read your palm; to find the answer or pleasure your looking for, the world is empty without the love of God and the love of others. There is only the material aspect of life; if you exclude human life today.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The measure of a prophet’s success is the measure of faithfulness before God as God’s spokesperson, and never measured by the degree their testimony, witnessing, or speaking of God’s Word is received by others. Because they reverence and respect God’s Word, they do not shrink in the face of danger, nor do they fear people or seek the praise of others. But from deep within their hearts, they seek the praise of God and His blessing. The prophets of the Old Testament were able to speak for God to make known the coming of Jesus Christ (who would be the only begotten Son of God) through the written Word they received from God. To understand the biblical way the word “prophet” is used in the Scriptures, it's always best to look at the first occurrence of the word, which is in Genesis and is used by God to tell the king to leave the man’s wife alone. “Now therefore restore the man his wife; for he is a prophet” (Genesis 20:7).

This first occurrence of the word “prophet” shows us that it was used in a different way from the way we use it today, which is mostly used in our current English to indicate when one is to foretell future events. But in the Bible, it's used in connection with Abraham, who not only had a very pretty wife, but also never foretold anything in his life. In Exodus the same God calls Aaron Moses’s prophet, which takes us a step further and leads us to the question of how one could be another man’s prophet? The answer is found in Exodus, where God, who is referring to the same subject, tells Moses that Aaron “shall be thy spokesman” (Exodus 4:16). Therefore, the essential interpretation of the word “prophet” is a spokesperson who speaks for God, either by way of exhortation, instruction, reproof, warning, correction, reprobation, or judgment. Foretelling was only a very small part of their duties.

John the Baptist was born with the spirit from God right from his mother’s womb, and that is why Jesus Christ said, “Among those that are born of women there is not a greater prophet than John the Baptist” (Luke 7:28). John was known to preach in the wilderness, dress in camel hair, and eat locusts with wild honey for dinner. Perhaps John did not have a beautiful wife like Abraham, but he did have one thing that was the same as Abraham—he also never foretold anything in his life. John the Baptist was God’s spokesman who was equipped and sent forth by God to prepare the way for the Messiah for Israel. Prophets were essentially God’s spokespersons, and their sole mission was to speak only those words that were given to them to speak. They were totally meek and humble, as we see so many times from the obedience of such statements as, “The word of the Lord came unto Samuel, saying” or “And the Lord commanded Moses.” A very meek and humble prophet known as Jesus Christ makes what looks like his first official public statement when he stood up to read in the Temple from the book of Isaiah.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I believe we have always had them as Messiah said He sent them. It is finding them and occasionally watching.
There are prophets and there are prophets. If you believe prophets have to be famous, that is one thing. If you believe a prophet is someone who passes a message from God onto another person, that is another thing.

Reactions: Ritajanice

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Are there prophets today?​

If there were, would we listen to them? God's people don't exactly have the best historical track record regarding listening to the prophets.

If we didn't listen to someone who rose from the dead, would we be convinced by a prophet?

Last edited:

Cyd

Nov 10, 2023
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Are there prophets today?​

If there were, would we listen to them? God's people don't exactly have the best historical record regarding listening to the prophets.

If we didn't listen to someone who rose from the dead, would we be convinced by a prophet?
Well the one that rose from the dead.. Messiah said this is what He sends:
Matthew 23:34 Wherefore, behold, I send unto you prophets, and wise men, and scribes: and some of them ye shall kill and crucify; and some of them shall ye scourge in your synagogues, and persecute them from city to city:

He even tells you how people respond. I believed Messiah and went looking.. the youtube is just one area I scan for them I have other lists and sites of dreams/visions I also visit. If I do click to read and I have questions I ask Our Father in heaven and take it to him ask for second and third witnesses is all I do. To me it is all part of watching for the return.

Spyder

Jan 9, 2024
Holt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we meet one, I don't think we will doubt him. As long as I have doubt, there isn't one. I see a prophet speaking God's word and saying things that are not already told to in Scripture.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we meet one, I don't think we will doubt him. As long as I have doubt, there isn't one. I see a prophet speaking God's word and saying things that are not already told to in Scripture.
Nobody ever welcomed them or acknowledged them before. Why do you think you would?

Reactions: Lambano and Cyd

Cyd

Nov 10, 2023
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For me I believe what Messiah said and they do exist.. I also believe this.

Amos3:7 Surely the Lord God will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets.

So we all believe what Messiah (God) said in different ways I guess. God doesn't change right? He said He changes not.

Reactions: TonyChanYT

Cyd

Nov 10, 2023
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Tony,
I did a search for prophets and saw this post. I had missed it when you posted it but thought I would find it in end times area as those are typically the watchers of things regarding the return of Messiah. Messiah sends prophets..

For myself and watching all these years I do and have watched or should say go check them now and then to see what is out there going on with like Hank Kunnaman, Jeremiah Johnson, and one I check a little more often is also on youtube Dr Owuor prophecies as he has a lot of short clips. When I search them on youtube I always add the year to my search. I also will do global searches too using the year for them. Dr Owuor has prophecied a lot of judgement and even some wrath coming to certain nations. He has been pretty accurate.. I don't watch their teachings just when led to check what they have said re prophecy.

I would check up on this prophet if I were all of you.. USA has opened the door TBN is asking for him to come here to the USA.. to try to kick off a revival here.. sounds like they may plan to have known prophets there for it. We will see but I keep checking his clips.

Miracles follow with his services.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You need to define "prophet," I believe. God can use any person to pass a message along to another person. I suspect he does that all the time. But if you have to be famous to be a prophet, then who "qualifies"? Was Billy Graham a prophet?

I'm sure he made some predictions that have and will come to pass. :)

:hearteyes:

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Come back, Spyder!

Do you have one of those backwards motor-driven tricycles?

:hearteyes:

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you have to make predictions to be a prophet, or is a great teacher a prophet?
A prophet is the "mouthpiece" for God; prophecy has less to do with prognosticating future events than many believe. (As Peterlag already said.) However, making false predictions seems to be the litmus test for false prophets; see Deuteronomy 18:21-22.

If I remember correctly, Billy Graham said he considered himself an Evangelist, not a Prophet.