Are we commanded to study the Bible?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Peter 1:20-21 New International Version (NIV)
20 Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet’s own interpretation of things. 21 For prophecy never had its origin in the human will, but prophets, though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Proverbs 30:5-6 New International Version (NIV)
5 “Every word of God is flawless;
he is a shield to those who take refuge in him.
6 Do not add to his words,
or he will rebuke you and prove you a liar.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 12:2 New International Version (NIV)
2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 5:6 New International Version (NIV)
6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be filled.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 5:6
6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
For they shall be filled.

Luke 4:4
4 But Jesus answered him, saying, “It is written, ‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.’ ”
Sorry, but when I get focused on the role I don't slow down.

Wafer

May 16, 2019
Yuma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Timothy 2:15 King James Version (KJV)
15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Of course if you didn't study you wouldn't know that.

Reactions: 101G

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Unfortunately many do not.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@CoreIssue
"Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." II Tim 2:15

Study the scriptures by all means not to learn, but rather so that God will approve of you and your efforts. That is obedience in order to please God. The study is not in order to learn although with the Holy Spirit learning may occur. Learning more directly is understood from this verse:

"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." John 14:26

The result of diligent Bible study without the teaching of the Holy Ghost is seen here even as it was when Solomon wrote it:

"And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh." Ecc 12:12

Even Bible study without the Holy Ghost teaching results in a weariness of the flesh. The best student is NOT the closest person to God. Rather the person walks always in the Spirit [in the Holy Ghost] and striving to never quench the Spirit in himself will become as He is.

Study and study hard, but never presume that walking in the Spirit as you do is a secondary thing... Without the quickening of those words, reading and studying, will not give Life, but will kill!

"[God] Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life." II Cor 3:6

Last edited:

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@CoreIssue
"Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." II Tim 2:15

Study the scriptures by all means not to learn, but rather so that God will approve of you and your efforts. That is obedience in order to please God. The study is not in order to learn although with the Holy Spirit learning may occur. Learning more directly is understood from this verse:

"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." John 14:16

The result of diligent Bible study without the teaching of the Holy Ghost is seen here even as it was when Solomon wrote it:

"And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh." Ecc 12:12

Even Bible study without the Holy Ghost teaching results in a weariness of the flesh. The best student is NOT the closest person to God. Rather the person walks always in the Spirit [in the Holy Ghost] and striving to never quench the Spirit in himself will become as He is.

Study and study hard, but never presume that walking in the Spirit as you do is a secondary thing... Without the quickening of those words read and study, will not give Life, but will kill!

"[God] Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life." II Cor 3:6
Lot of contradictions.

Wafer

May 16, 2019
Yuma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@CoreIssue

"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." John 14:16

Study and study hard, but never presume that walking in the Spirit as you do is a secondary thing... Without the quickening of those words read and study, will not give Life, but will kill!

John 14:16 King James Version (KJV)
16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

John 14:26 King James Version (KJV)
26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Of course that presumes that you have studied so you know some words to be reminded of. It is interesting that the Comforter did not remind you that you were conflating two verses.

Reactions: amadeus

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
John 5:39-40 New International Version (NIV)
39 You studya]">[a] the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about me, 40 yet you refuse to come to me to have life.
take a hint maybe? Imo no one was denying that studying the Bible was a bad idea CI, but that the v then in view was not saying that, and it still isn't bro; study to show yourself approved

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Proverbs 30:5-6 New International Version (NIV)
5 “Every word of God is flawless;
he is a shield to those who take refuge in him.
6 Do not add to his words,
or he will rebuke you and prove you a liar.
i'd be harkening here too bro. You channel satan when you say "the Bible is Word" of course, In the beginning was the Bible, and the Bible was with God, and the Bible was God. He will rebuke you and prove you a liar

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Romans 12:2 New International Version (NIV)
2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
when do you plan on starting this CI

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country

that is the v that started all this I think, and the point was that that v specifically does not say "study the Bible," but rather than just admit that we get this, the this and that thing called worm

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
we should "STUDY" and "SEARCH" the scriptures daily. yes, 2 Timothy 2:15 is on the money, we commend the one who saw it. but have some change to go along with your money. for our Lord Jesus said, John 5:39 "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me".

we should be as they was in Berea, Acts 17:11 "These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so". (they went to work in studying, and searching), which bring us to the work of the Holy Spirit.

the Holy Ghost, is our TEACHER but he's a HELPER, and if you not "studying and searching", then he has nothing to do. for a helper only can help you if you're doing something. and if you're not doing nothing then the Helper has nothing to teach you. we as christian must do as the scripture state "show" ourselves approve. one must be hungry, and thiristy for the word of God. and when you pick up your bible and start reading it in earnest, (you might not know what you're reading right now), but this shows God that you're interested in his word. and the Teacher will teach you by giving you understanding in what you're reading. and he will guide you in all truth. but we must do something, "show" God you want him, go after him with all your heart, strenght, and mind, then see what happens.

PICJAG.

Reactions: Windmillcharge

Wafer

May 16, 2019
Yuma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
that is the v that started all this I think, and the point was that that v specifically does not say "study the Bible," but rather than just admit that we get this, the this and that thing called worm

The KJV translates Strong's G4704 in the following manner: endeavour (3x), do diligence (2x), be diligent (2x), give diligence (1x), be forward (1x), labour (1x), study (1x).
Genesis 1:1 (KJV)

We English speakers assume that "study" only means to crack the books, but that is not so. But then there is this:

2 Corinthians 5:20 King James Version (KJV)
20 Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.

Ambassadors, not peddlers. A peddler can shuck and jive but an ambassador has to know a few things and know them perfectly.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yes we should study the bible, even memorise it, but that is not enough.

Don't forget Jesus never rebuked the scribes or the pharsees for the lack of biblical knowledge. He recognised they knew, had memorised chunks of it, that they studied it, but

They were not open to what it was saying beyond their own interpretation.

How often is that the case with us?

I'm not charismatic, I don't expect like samuel to hear a voice in the night, or like Paul to be caught up into the heavens.

But I do expect sermons, songs, prayers and especaily the bible to challenge me.

How do you approach bible reading or church services?

Reactions: Willie T