Are we prisoners?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What did Jesus mean when he said-
"God has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners.." (Luke 4:18)
Freedom from what exactly?

My take on this verse starts first with using the correct version of Scripture. This is not going to be accepted very well, but here it goes.

If you read the KJV, it says, "to PREACH deliverance to the captives." The next line says "and recovering of sight to the blind."

Christ is referring to the preaching of the Cross (the Gospel) that open the eyes of the spiritual blinded.

It is the Cross, what there happened that sets at liberty and freedom all the problems man may have.

This is what Christ came to proclaim and do for all of mankind.

Reactions: Dropship

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I listened in on a seminar about our prisons. I wish I could find it on YouTube or something. I found it helpful.

We all have our prisons, whether it be our sin, our past failures, guilt, fear, obligations, our self-image (whether poor or over-inflated), the need for others' approval, perfectionism, religious rules....

Usually we deny it. These stone walls and iron bars aren't real, and there is no pain.

They say the first step to getting well is acknowledging you're sick. The first step to getting free is acknowledging you're in prison.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ahhhhhh, the blaming of others always makes God appear blood thirsty!

What would you do in His position? As a thinker, when Adam sinned, how would you handle it? I personally think Jehovah handled it very wisely. You haven't really seen anything yet however, when Jesus returns to remove the wicked, it will not be a pretty picture sir, especially for the goats.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I listened in on a seminar about our prisons. I wish I could find it on YouTube or something. I found it helpful.

We all have our prisons, whether it be our sin, our past failures, guilt, fear, obligations, our self-image (whether poor or over-inflated), the need for others' approval, perfectionism, religious rules....

Usually we deny it. These stone walls and iron bars aren't real, and there is no pain.

They say the first step to getting well is acknowledging you're sick. The first step to getting free is acknowledging you're in prison.

It takes a wide-angle lens. Something you view from far away and zoom way out on, but then-- once you see it, you can't unsee it. It's like @Matthias referenced-- it's the Hotel California.

"We are all just prisoners here
Of our own device"

And in the master's chambers
They gathered for the feast

They stab it with their steely knives
But they just can't kill the beast

Last thing I remember, I was
Running for the door

I had to find the passage back
To the place I was before

"Relax," said the night man
"We are programmed to receive

You can check out any time you like
But you can never leave"

That's a lie. The good news that Jesus brought pronounced an escape. Freedom from the Hotel California-- this prison of our own device-- Babylon, if you prefer. The human condition, for clarity.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In essence then, the ministry of Jesus was a Prison Ministry. There is no need to invent the idea that Jesus descended into Hell and preached to the prisoners there during those three days in the tomb. His 'three days' of ministry to the captives was as the three years he walked and taught among men-- the captives that were enslaved and didn't even realize it, such is the guile of the Enemy that holds them. It was these he gave his life for-- his spiritual life and estate which he left and descended from to be clothed in flesh-- the common prison garb of all men.

Reactions: amadeus and Lambano

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
In essence then, the ministry of Jesus was a Prison Ministry. There is no need to invent the idea that Jesus descended into Hell and preached to the prisoners there during those three days in the tomb. His 'three days' of ministry to the captives was as the three years he walked and taught among men-- the captives that were enslaved and didn't even realize it, such is the guile of the Enemy that holds them. It was these he gave his life for-- his spiritual life and estate which he left and descended from to be clothed in flesh-- the common prison garb of all men.
Philemon is about a slave whose freedom Paul pleads for; in Christ, the perspective has changed hugely.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Philemon is about a slave whose freedom Paul pleads for; in Christ, the perspective has changed hugely.

Yes- and even more than that. Paul in his letter to Philemon, refers to Onesimus as "whom I have begotten in my imprisonment." Apologies to all the literalists out there, but that's not what Paul really means. He doesn't intend that we think he had a baby in jail rather Paul speaks often about the distinction between the flesh and the spirit. While Paul may well have been writing from prison in a physical sense, he distinguishes between that physical imprisonment and the concept of being a prisoner in Christ. No longer a slave to the flesh one willingly becomes a bond-servant to the Lord.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes- and even more than that. Paul in his letter to Philemon, refers to Onesimus as "whom I have begotten in my imprisonment." Apologies to all the literalists out there, but that's not what Paul really means. He doesn't intend that we think he had a baby in jail rather Paul speaks often about the distinction between the flesh and the spirit. While Paul may well have been writing from prison in a physical sense, he distinguishes between that physical imprisonment and the concept of being a prisoner in Christ. No longer a slave to the flesh one willingly becomes a bond-servant to the Lord.
@Mr E Psalm 40 and Philippians 2 have the bond-servant imagery also.

Reactions: Mr E

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Mr E Psalm 40 and Philippians 2 have the bond-servant imagery also.

Yes-- You nailed it! (Sorry Jesus- no pun intended) but in Phil 2 Paul makes the concept clear. Few people grasp what he is actually referring to...

Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men. Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.

He's not talking about the baby Jesus, just like he was not talking about a prison-baby named Onesimus, begotten in prison. The Christ-child is spirit and is sent from above to prison below. Understanding this idea is eye-opening. Earth-shattering. It wasn't "Jesus" that pre-existed, but the "Christ" is spirit and sent to serve. Paul is saying this was the case with Jesus-- who became the vessel for the spirit that was sent from above which he received. The spirit left it's heavenly estate, took on the (human) form of a bond-servant (being made in the likeness of men) and Jesus became obedient to the Father by willing choice. This is what he meant when he prayed Father- Thy kingdom come, on earth as it is in Heaven.

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Prison Planet! This probably is a prison in a sense as we are pretty evil as a people. We have to be locked on a prison planet so we don't kill the rest of the universe!

Reactions: Dropship

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yes-- You nailed it! (Sorry Jesus- no pun intended) but in Phil 2 Paul makes the concept clear. Few people grasp what he is actually referring to...

Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men. Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.

He's not talking about the baby Jesus, just like he was not talking about a prison-baby named Onesimus, begotten in prison. The Christ-child is spirit and is sent from above to prison below. Understanding this idea is eye-opening. Earth-shattering. It wasn't "Jesus" that pre-existed, but the "Christ" is spirit and sent to serve. Paul is saying this was the case with Jesus-- who became the vessel for the spirit that was sent from above which he received. The spirit left it's heavenly estate, took on the (human) form of a bond-servant (being made in the likeness of men) and Jesus became obedient to the Father by willing choice. This is what he meant when he prayed Father- Thy kingdom come, on earth as it is in Heaven.
The good part is that Jesus promised that he who is set free by Christ, is free indeed. Yet first we must surrender to His kingship. If ye love Me, keep My commandments.
He to whom we submit, to Him we become servants. Yet Jesus said to those who love Him, I call you not servants, but brothers. That is way cool.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Primarily from Satan and his deceptions. But also self, self-deception and self-delusion. Jesus said that you shall know the truth and the truth will make you free. Well Christ Himself is the Truth, and the Bible is called "the Word of Truth". So ideally Christians should be free from being taken captive by the lies of Satan and his minions. Satan began his campaign of deception in Eden, and today there is a daily barrage of lies, deception, Fake News, disinformation and misinformation. As well as false religions, and Communism is another false religion. Communism is built upon lies, and Communists speak and promote lies daily. Now Communism has taken control of North America.

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Satan began his campaign of deception in Eden, and today there is a daily barrage of lies, deception, Fake News, disinformation and misinformation..

Here in Britain most newspapers and TV are fairly okay except for the left wing Guardian newspaper and the lefty BBC TV, but as a matter of interest, which are the worst lefty papers and TV Channels in America?
For example i've heard the New York Times called the New York Slime..:)

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The good part is that Jesus promised that he who is set free by Christ, is free indeed. Yet first we must surrender to His kingship. If ye love Me, keep My commandments.
He to whom we submit, to Him we become servants. Yet Jesus said to those who love Him, I call you not servants, but brothers. That is way cool.

The important thing to realize in that is that Jesus isn't somehow elevating us to what we might think of as his status. Just the opposite. The spirit descended from it's rightful place, became poor and like us. We are not to think of ourselves as servants of Jesus, but servants of He who Jesus served. We are fellow-servants (brothers) of his in doing the work and will of the Father.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The important thing to realize in that is that Jesus isn't somehow elevating us to what we might think of as his status. Just the opposite. The spirit descended from it's rightful place, became poor and like us. We are not to think of ourselves as servants of Jesus, but servants of He who Jesus served. We are fellow-servants (brothers) of his in doing the work and will of the Father.
Family. Adopted. Chosen. The Bible tells us we are slaves to righteousness. By choice as children of the source of righteousness. To them that received Him gave He power to become the children of God. Family.

Reactions: Mr E

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

@Mr E I love that passage in Philippians 2.......

"Thus found in fashion as a man,
All blameless, spotless, pure,
He was obedient unto death,
Sin's judgment to endure."

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
cc: @MatthewG
Freedom from SIN.

John 8:32-36.
32 And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”

33 They answered Him, “We are Abraham’s descendants, and have never been in bondage to anyone. How can You say, ‘You will be made free’?”

34 Jesus answered them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, whoever commits sin is a slave of sin. 35 And a slave does not abide in the house forever, but a son abides forever. 36 Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus promised us freedom form sin? Horrors!!! What a fearful thought...surely God doesn't want us to be free from sin. I mean, if that were so, surely we would be discussing such an idea more often right, and celebrating in hope and faith? But that isn't happening is it. So can't be true.

I do all the time. You must have me on ignore.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I heard an online sermon a short time ago. The preacher offered a really good analogy to the idea that Jesus came to save us from our sins.
You are trapped in a house, surrounded by a wall of fire you know is impenetrable. The walls all around you are about to collapse inwards, and the roof is already giving away. The danger of death is imminent, you cry out for help. A fireman bursts through wrapped in a sopping wet blanket and invites you in. You wrap yourself in the blanket with your potential Savior and the cool of the water gives you great hope and promise of salvation. And then your potential Savior doesn't move. He just stands there. Are you being saved from the fire? Or is the promise of salvation a false hope as the wet blanket dries, catches fire, and worsens your predicament? That's what the majority of Christians believe Jesus has accomplished. You are being saved, not from sin, but in sin. It is a false hope, and the wages of sin remains as it always was... death.
The real deal and promise is true freedom from even the threat of the fire. The savior wraps you up in His protective blanket and walks you out of trouble. He saves you from sin. And the proof of that is found in Revelation 14 where the final church is described as "keeping the commandments of God". Not trying to keep, not doing the best you can, not constantly falling and failing to keep, but really free from slavery and bondage to sin through obedience...slaves to righteousness. Not ideally, but experientially.