Are we prisoners?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What did Jesus mean when he said-
"God has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners.." (Luke 4:18)
Freedom from what exactly?

Reactions: marks and Mr E

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“We are all just prisoners here, of our own device.” - the Eagles, Hotel California

May or may not be applicable, but popped into my mind and caused me to ponder what my own device was. I came up with “Sin”. No one forced me to do it.

David Boyer

Aug 27, 2022
Moncton,NB
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
“We are all just prisoners here, of our own device.” - the Eagles, Hotel California

May or may not be applicable, but popped into my mind and caused me to ponder what my own device was. I came up with “Sin”. No one forced me to do it.

The song about heroin addiction if memory serves.
So being a prisoner of your own making.

Tommy Cool

Jul 17, 2022
HIGHLAND,MI
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It was part of the quote from Isa 61:1&2 The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison (eyes) to them that are bound;

Luk 4:18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

You have to think in terms of spiritual awareness and healing…

This is also where Jesus stopped mid-sentence and did not finish with the rest of the sentence in Isa 61:2 ….. as that time had not come yet….even though it is in reference to the tribulation period as is noted in chapter 60 of Isaiah.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
John 8:31-36
31Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, “If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. 32And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”
33They answered Him, “We are Abraham’s descendants, and have never been in bondage to anyone. How can You say, ‘You will be made free’?”
34Jesus answered them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, whoever commits sin is a slave of sin. 35And a slave does not abide in the house forever, but a son abides forever. 36Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Those of us who were held in bondage by the hypocritical leaders of the faith at the time Drop. Those that Jesus later said were from their father the devil. God’s Son came to help people gain liberty, or freedom, in two ways. First, Jesus opened the way to liberty from the oppressive doctrines taught by the religious leaders. Many Jews back then were enslaved to traditions and mistaken beliefs. (Matt. 5:31-37; 15:1-11) Those who presumed to be spiritual guides were in a sense blind. In rejecting the Messiah and the spiritual enlightenment he offered, they remained in darkness and in sin. (John 9:1, 14-16, 35-41) By his correct teachings and good example, Jesus made known to meek ones a spiritual liberation.—Mark 1:22; 2:23–3:5.

The second way in which Jesus provided liberation involved freeing mankind from enslavement to inherited sin. On the basis of Jesus’ sacrifice, God could forgive the sins of those who show faith and who accept the ransom He provided. (Heb. 10:12-18) Jesus said: “If the Son sets you free, you will be truly free.” (John 8:36) That freedom was certainly greater than what could be gained during Israel’s Jubilee year! For instance, a man set free during the Jubilee might again become a slave, and in any case, he would eventually die.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

On a comical note Drop, do you remember the movie the Love Bug. Michele Lee said to the hippies next to them, Help, I am a prisoner, they replied to her, We all prisoners chickie baby, we all locked in. I still giggle about that sir.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Those of us who were held in bondage by the hypocritical leaders of the faith at the time Drop. Those that Jesus later said were from their father the devil. God’s Son came to help people gain liberty, or freedom, in two ways. First, Jesus opened the way to liberty from the oppressive doctrines taught by the religious leaders. Many Jews back then were enslaved to traditions and mistaken beliefs. (Matt. 5:31-37; 15:1-11) Those who presumed to be spiritual guides were in a sense blind. In rejecting the Messiah and the spiritual enlightenment he offered, they remained in darkness and in sin. (John 9:1, 14-16, 35-41) By his correct teachings and good example, Jesus made known to meek ones a spiritual liberation.—Mark 1:22; 2:23–3:5.

The second way in which Jesus provided liberation involved freeing mankind from enslavement to inherited sin. On the basis of Jesus’ sacrifice, God could forgive the sins of those who show faith and who accept the ransom He provided. (Heb. 10:12-18) Jesus said: “If the Son sets you free, you will be truly free.” (John 8:36) That freedom was certainly greater than what could be gained during Israel’s Jubilee year! For instance, a man set free during the Jubilee might again become a slave, and in any case, he would eventually die.
ahhhhhh, the blaming of others always makes God appear blood thirsty!

Reactions: Dropship

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

To understand what Jesus was talking about when he quoted it, you would have to understand what Isaiah was talking about (Is 61) when he said it. In fact Jesus was so exact in wanting people to understand what it was he was saying, he took the extra step of quoting Isaiah and telling people that it was Isaiah he was quoting so that there would be no doubt as to it's origin and they would know precisely where it came from so that the could reference the quote in context. (he was advocating for a quote feature).

It's important to see context-- always.

So what was Isaiah's message? Isaiah's message was God's message. He spoke from the spirit the words of God that were given him and in Jesus we see him declaring that his own message was just like that. The word upon and within and spoken through him. -Isaiah spoke of the soon coming invasion and destruction of Jerusalem and the inevitable captivity of the nation should that day come. But beyond the coming destruction and captivity he spoke also of a day of return and renewal, a day of justice- where things would be made right and a new season that would follow just as spring and summer follow the fall and winter.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Prisoners to our fleshly ways. Set free by the Spirit. 1 Peter 4:1-2, to praise God and to do his will, being set free of the fleshly natural ways and to now walk by the spirit and in faith.

There's more truth to your statement than you probably realize. It's the Spirit that set us free from the flesh. And it is the flesh that holds us captive. But who is the "us" that is captive in the flesh? It is our spirit that is held captive-- it is a spiritual "us" that is for a time held prisoner in the flesh. The spiritual man, imprisoned for a life sentence. The Life that is our true identity that is captive in human "cells" -- our flesh is our prison garb. Peter is talking about how "we" --though we are enslaved in a physical manner can be free in spirit, walking in flesh but guided by spirit and alive according to the spirit, though we are dead and bound to death by the flesh we are alive in Christ.

Can a man be both free and in prison at the same time? Of course.

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
One interpretation is that Jesus freed people from the dull stuffy old establishment by giving them a bright and breezy outlook on life-
"Jesus saved you from the empty way of life handed you by your forefathers" (1 Peter 1:18)

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One interpretation is that Jesus freed people from the dull stuffy old establishment by giving them a bright and breezy outlook on life-
"Jesus saved you from the empty way of life handed you by your forefathers" (1 Peter 1:18)

That is true, because of Jesus sacrifice he fulfilled all the Law of Moses, and Jesus told his followers anyone who loves him will listen to his commandments which is to believe and love. How freeing! Because of Jesus fulfilled the law of Moses all of the Gentile nations were allowed to be able to also come and believe and follow Christ especially in that day in time with the apostles going out such as Paul, Peter, John and the rest.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Jesus promised us freedom form sin? Horrors!!! What a fearful thought...surely God doesn't want us to be free from sin. I mean, if that were so, surely we would be discussing such an idea more often right, and celebrating in hope and faith? But that isn't happening is it. So can't be true.