Are we sealed with the Holy Spirit?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I pummel my body and lead it as a slave, so that after I have preached to others, I myself should not become disapproved somehow.

ἀδόκιμος adokimos (a-d̮o'-kiy-mos) adj.
1. unacceptable, i.e. rejected.
2. (by implication) worthless.
{literally or morally}
[from G1 (as a negative particle) and G1384]
KJV: castaway, rejected, reprobate
Root(s): G1, G1384
Compare: G2556

ἀδόκιμ-ος , ον , not legal tender, not current , of coin, Pl. Lg. 742a ; not approved , of horses, Arist. Ath. 49.1 .
2. unsatisfactory, unconvincing , of a statement, Ph. Bel. 76.47 , Alex.Aphr. in Top. 576.14 .
3. disreputable , λακίσματ' ἀδόκιμ' ὀλβίοις ἔχειν E. Tr. 497 ; μοῦσα Pl. Lg. 829d , cf. D. 25.36 , Ep.Rom. 1.28 . Adv. -μως Poll. 5.160 .
4. of persons, Pl. R. 618b ; discredited, reprobate , X. Lac. 3.3 , 2 Ep.Tim. 3.8 , etc.

I guess we are all going to stand before God and Christ Jesus either naked, or fully clothed over to give an account of every idle, useless and inoperative words we have spoken (and typed) in words, thoughts and secret deeds Robert.
The above "dictionaries" gives a vivid description of a man handling the word of God in a irreverent manner, deceitfully and filled with pride.

1Co 9:22 To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.
1Co 9:23 And this I do for the gospel's sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you.
1Co 9:24 Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.
1Co 9:25 And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.
1Co 9:26 I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:
1Co 9:27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

Just to get it in context for you..yes, sobering (including
myself)
Blessings brother
J.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
he probably didn't have a lexicon to get the low down on its meaning!

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have already posting a reply to you on one of my posts Robert.

1/4 Joe, that happens quite a bit here, I understand. There is one here today that we are posting the same topic in 4 different posts. I am slowly trying to direct it back to one.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ἀδόκιμος adokimos (a-d̮o'-kiy-mos) adj.
1. unacceptable, i.e. rejected.
2. (by implication) worthless.
{literally or morally}
[from G1 (as a negative particle) and G1384]
KJV: castaway, rejected, reprobate
Root(s): G1, G1384
Compare: G2556

ἀδόκιμ-ος , ον , not legal tender, not current , of coin, Pl. Lg. 742a ; not approved , of horses, Arist. Ath. 49.1 .
2. unsatisfactory, unconvincing , of a statement, Ph. Bel. 76.47 , Alex.Aphr. in Top. 576.14 .
3. disreputable , λακίσματ' ἀδόκιμ' ὀλβίοις ἔχειν E. Tr. 497 ; μοῦσα Pl. Lg. 829d , cf. D. 25.36 , Ep.Rom. 1.28 . Adv. -μως Poll. 5.160 .
4. of persons, Pl. R. 618b ; discredited, reprobate , X. Lac. 3.3 , 2 Ep.Tim. 3.8 , etc.

I guess we are all going to stand before God and Christ Jesus either naked, or fully clothed over to give an account of every idle, useless and inoperative words we have spoken (and typed) in words, thoughts and secret deeds Robert.
The above "dictionaries" gives a vivid description of a man handling the word of God in a irreverent manner, deceitfully and filled with pride.

1Co 9:22 To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.
1Co 9:23 And this I do for the gospel's sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you.
1Co 9:24 Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.
1Co 9:25 And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.
1Co 9:26 I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:
1Co 9:27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

Just to get it in context for you..yes, sobering (including
myself)
Blessings brother
J.

Actually Joe, we do not believe the sins you are committing today will be of any account in the resurrection. Romans 6:7 brings out that death acquits you of sin. Now I am not saying that applies to those who sin against the Holy Spirit, as there is no ransom for them, but Jesus death, released us from our sins upon our death.

We believ the judgment will be done at the end of the millennial reign of Christ.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A sacrament is an outward sign for all men including infants And a gift from God to help us see what he does inwardly and invisibly by his grace!

As grace Washes our souls in the merits of Jesus blood from original and personal sin, so the outward action of washing is visible!

without the outward action the inward action cannot take place!

Jn 3:5 Titus 3:5 water and washing
acts 22:16 wash away your sin!

Jn 3:5 Born again BY water and the spirit! Not by “faith alone”!

They did not go to Jerusalem and preach “accept Christ as you’re personal Lord and savior “

They went to the river (water) and they baptized! Jn 3:22

A covenant requires an outward sign of the inward action of grace!

Ez 36:25 I will sprinkle you with clean water and you shall be made white as snow.

Acts 22:16 washing away your sins.

1 pet 3:21 baptism saves you.

Baptism!

God breathed life into Adam, gen 2:7 and we received this life from our fathers!

Christ breathed on the apostles our spiritual fathers, we receive the new covenant life of God’s grace from them thru faith & baptism! Jn 20:21-23 Mk 16:16 acts 8:36-38 eph 2

Born again! Born from above!

'The Father has set his seal' on Christ (John 6:27) and also seals us in him (cf. 2 Corinthians 1:22; Ephesians 1:23, 4:30). Because this seal indicates the indelible effect of the anointing with the Holy Spirit in the sacrament of Baptism,

Baptism indeed is the seal of eternal life." 87 The faithful Christian who I has "kept the seal" until the end, remaining faithful to the demands of his Baptism, will be able to depart this life "marked with the sign of faith," 88 with his baptismal faith, in expectation of the blessed vision of God - the consummation of faith - and in the hope of resurrection.

St. Paul tells the faithful at Ephesus that they have been “sealed with the promised Holy Spirit.” This is in terms of an indelible character imprinted on the soul in the sacraments of baptism and confirmation. It is not as if this invisible mark is simply decorative. Rather, through it, we are enabled to participate in Christ’s mission and in his offices of priest, prophet, and king. Eph 1:13

Sealed by God eph 1:13 sealed by God (ez 36:25-27) in the ark of salvation by baptism just as Noah was sealed by God in the ark of the flood gen 7:16

1 Pet 3:20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us!
(Ark of Noah a type of the church, member of Christ and his church and salvation by baptism!)
(Outside the ark of Noah none were saved, outside the church (the ark of salvation) none are saved!)

Sealed in the ark, sealed in the church the ark of salvation by God thru baptism!

Effects of baptism!

Faith and baptism accomplish justification
With these effects:
born again Jn 3:5
New creation in Christ 2 cor 5:17
Passed from death to life 2 Tim 1:10
Out of the kingdom of darkness into the kingdom of light 1 pet 2:9
All sins (original and personal) washed away acts 22:16
Washed in Christ’s blood 1 pet 1:2
Member of Christ and His church
1 cor 12:13
Put on Christ gal 3:27
Died with Christ rom 6:3
Risen with Christ col 2:12
Sealed by God in the ark of salvation 1 pet 3:20-21
Sealed with the Holy Spirit eph 1:13
And none by “faith alone”!

John M is a “faith alone” heretic who has no authority to teach, he’s not an apostle

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Davy

...and here you are, not quoting scriptures..

And that's the best you can come back with??? An credibility attack? You don't want to get into a Scripture battle with me, I assure you. I'm not some new babe Biblically illiterate like you apparently love to mouth off to.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And that from a child thou hast known the holy Scriptures,.... And therefore must know that the doctrines he had learned were agreeable to them; and so is another reason why he should continue in them. The Jews very early learned their children the holy Scripture. Philo the Jew says (w), εκ πρωτης ηλικιας "from their very infancy"; a phrase pretty much the same with this here used. It is a maxim with the Jews (x), that when a child was five years of age, it was proper to teach him the Scriptures. Timothy's mother being a Jewess, trained him up early in the knowledge of these writings, with which he became very conversant, and under divine influence and assistance, arrived to a large understanding of them; and it is a practice that highly becomes Christian parents; it is one part of the nurture and admonition of the Lord they should bring up their children in: the wise man's advice in Pro_22:6 is very good.
J.

I don't heed Philo the Jew (a corrupt Jewish philosopher in ancient Alexandria, Egypt).