Are we sealed with the Holy Spirit?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mat 24:13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

Of course there is a lot more of Christ's Message in His Olivet discourse that goes with that single verse you pulled out of the Matthew 24 Chapter. That verse can ONLY be understood per that Chapter's flow of what all Jesus revealed there.

The issue of perseverance has been contentious throughout church history. The problem begins with apparently conflicting passages of the NT:

The "issue of perseverance" is a created topic by men that have sliced and diced from isolating Christ's Words from the flow of Scripture, no more, no less.

1. texts on assurance
    1. statements of Jesus (John 6:37; 10:28-29)
    1. statements of Paul (Rom. 8:35-39; Eph. 1:13; 2:5,8-9; Phil. 1:6; 2:13; 2 Thess. 3:3; 2 Tim. 1:12; 4:18)
    2. statements of Peter ( 1 Pet. 1:4-5)
  2. texts on the need for perseverance
    1. statements of Jesus (Matt. 10:22; 13:1-9,24-30; 24:13; Mark 13:13; John 8:31; 15:4-10; Rev. 2:7,17,26; 3:5,12,21)
    2. statements of Paul (Rom. 11:22; 1 Cor. 15:2; 2 Cor. 13:5; Gal. 1:6; 3:4; 5:4; 6:9; Phil. 2:12; 3:18-20; Col. 1:23; 2 Tim. 3:2)
    3. statements of the author of Hebrews (Heb. 2:1; 3:6,14; 4:14; 6:4-12; 10:26-27)
    4. statements of John (1 John 2:6; 2 John 9)
    5. statement of the Father (Rev. 21:7)

Let's see what the Scriptures you reference actually say...

John 6:37
37 All that the Father giveth Me shall come to Me; and him that cometh to Me I will in no wise cast out.
KJV

That does not mean ALL that 'claim' to believe on Lord Jesus are included in those. Lord Jesus is pointing to the FAITHFUL, those that cannot be turned, nor fall away from Him. Yet we KNOW there are some that HAVE..., and WILL fall away at the END (2 Thessalonians 2:3-4; John 17:12).

John 10:28-29
28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of My hand.
29 My Father, Which gave them Me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of My Father's hand.
KJV

Once again, Lord Jesus in the above is actually pointing to His 'very' elect that CANNOT be turned, not about those who can fall away. A bit farther in John 17, He reveals this more, even pointing to TWO different groups of believers, the first group being these which The Father gave Him, His very elect like His Apostles. The second group He showed are those who believe by THEIR WORD (i.e., their preaching of The Gospel). And then Jesus' hope is that BOTH would become one in Him and The Father. However, we KNOW, even by Paul and Peter's warnings, that there would creep in wolves dividing the sheep and some would fall away (Acts 20:27-31; 2 Timothy 4:3-4; 2 Peter 2:1-3; Jude 4.)

Thus the Calvinist doctrines of election are most always a bogus idea applied to Scripture, because there are only TWO types of honest believers on Christ, those who can never... fall away which God intervenes 'directly' in their lives to serve Him and His Son, which are 'chosen' (i.e., those given to Christ per John 17), and then the rest of us which are 'called' only to hear The Gospel and believe, but can... fall away and be deceived IF 'we' allow it (the second group of John 17).

So it's better to not try and create a seminary thesis on such an idea, but instead stick to what the actual Bible Scriptures teach, which usually requires a deeper level of understanding instead of just topical quoting of Scripture.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Of course there is a lot more of Christ's Message in His Olivet discourse that goes with that single verse you pulled out of the Matthew 24 Chapter. That verse can ONLY be understood per that Chapter's flow of what all Jesus revealed there.

The "issue of perseverance" is a created topic by men that have sliced and diced from isolating Christ's Words from the flow of Scripture, no more, no less.

Let's see what the Scriptures you reference actually say...

John 6:37
37 All that the Father giveth Me shall come to Me; and him that cometh to Me I will in no wise cast out.
KJV

That does not mean ALL that 'claim' to believe on Lord Jesus are included in those. Lord Jesus is pointing to the FAITHFUL, those that cannot be turned, nor fall away from Him. Yet we KNOW there are some that HAVE..., and WILL fall away at the END (2 Thessalonians 2:3-4; John 17:12).

John 10:28-29
28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of My hand.
29 My Father, Which gave them Me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of My Father's hand.
KJV

Once again, Lord Jesus in the above is actually pointing to His 'very' elect that CANNOT be turned, not about those who can fall away. A bit farther in John 17, He reveals this more, even pointing to TWO different groups of believers, the first group being these which The Father gave Him, His very elect like His Apostles. The second group He showed are those who believe by THEIR WORD (i.e., their preaching of The Gospel). And then Jesus' hope is that BOTH would become one in Him and The Father. However, we KNOW, even by Paul and Peter's warnings, that there would creep in wolves dividing the sheep and some would fall away (Acts 20:27-31; 2 Timothy 4:3-4; 2 Peter 2:1-3; Jude 4.)

Thus the Calvinist doctrines of election are most always a bogus idea applied to Scripture, because there are only TWO types of honest believers on Christ, those who can never... fall away which God intervenes 'directly' in their lives to serve Him and His Son, which are 'chosen' (i.e., those given to Christ per John 17), and then the rest of us which are 'called' only to hear The Gospel and believe, but can... fall away and be deceived IF 'we' allow it (the second group of John 17).

So it's better to not try and create a seminary thesis on such an idea, but instead stick to what the actual Bible Scriptures teach, which usually requires a deeper level of understanding instead of just topical quoting of Scripture.
Ever consider the Pharisees and Sadducees traded scriptures like aggressive football players? What good has it done them?

Reactions: Lambano

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

You can cut the slack
Blessings
J.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How many different denominations are there on this forum?
Do you know Robert?
J.
When Jesus was talking to the Jews of enduring till the end to be saved he was referring to what he knew was coming shortly after his death and resurrection. To be saved in this passage is to be taken to a safe place.

Paul instructions to Timothy to continue in the scriptures was because Paul knew the scriptures would warn him of what was to shortly come to pass.

the end of the age.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How many different denominations are there on this forum?
Do you know Robert?
J.

No sir, but there are definitely a passel of faiths/denominations in the world, I would imagine there are people who post here from many faiths. This site has many new ones regularly, great site Joe.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
No sir, but there are definitely a passel of faiths/denominations in the world, I would imagine there are people who post here from many faiths. This site has many new ones regularly, great site Joe.
Really?
Think I'm going to take a sabbatical, 2 years or more..

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I am dealing with someone who is unsure re his salvation, would you mind?
So far I do not see you doing anything constructive which begs the question...why are you here?
J.
I'm here to ask questions and make statements so that the curious and the searching are stimulated. I have noticed however that some are irritated when these don't quiet go according to their agenda.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I'm here to ask questions and make statements so that the curious and the searching are stimulated. I have noticed however that some are irritated when these don't quiet go according to their agenda.

Forgive me for being arrogant, I want peace, not strife, especially between you and me.
Blessings
J.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Forgive me for being arrogant, I want peace, not strife, especially between you and me.
Blessings
J.
If the Spirit woos the unbelieving J, he'll definitely keep those committed to discovery at any cost!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Eph 1:13 In whom also ye haue trusted, after that ye heard the worde of trueth, euen the Gospel of your saluation, wherein also after that ye beleeued, ye were sealed with the holy Spirite of promes, ...

Having heard.....
Part of Speech: Verb
Tense: Aorist
Voice: Active
Mood: Participle
Case: Nominative (subject; predicate nominative)
Number: Plural

Having believed.......

Voice: Active
Mood: Participle
Case: Nominative (subject; predicate nominative)

you were sealed....

Voice: Passive
Mood: Indicative
Person: second [you+]

13.In whom ye also. He associates the Ephesians with himself, and with the rest of those who were the first fruits; for he says that they, in like manner, trusted in Christ. His object is, to shew that both had the same faith; and therefore we must supply the word trusted from the twelfth verse. He afterwards states that they were brought to that hope by the preaching of the gospel.
Two epithets are here applied to the gospel, — the word of truth, and the gospel of your salvation. Both deserve our careful attention. Nothing is more earnestly attempted by Satan than to lead us either to doubt or to despise the gospel.

Paul therefore furnishes us with two shields, by which we may repel both temptations. In opposition to every doubt, let us learn to bring forward this testimony, that the gospel is not only certain truth, which cannot deceive, but is, by way of eminence, (κατ ᾿ ἐξοχὴν,) the word of truth, as if, strictly speaking, there were no truth but itself. If the temptation be to contempt or dislike of the gospel, let us remember that its power and efficacy have been manifested in bringing to us salvation. The apostle had formerly declared that
“it is the power of God to salvation to every one that believeth,” (Rom_1:16;)
but here he expresses more, for he reminds the Ephesians that, having been made partakers of salvation, they had learned this by their own experience.

Unhappy they who weary themselves, as the world generally does, in wandering through many winding paths, neglecting the gospel, and pleasing themselves with wild romances, —
“ever learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth,”
(2Ti_3:7)
or to find life!

But happy they who have embraced the gospel, and whose attachment to it is steadfast; for this, beyond all doubt, is truth and life.
In whom also, after that ye believed. Having maintained that the gospel is certain, he now comes to the proof. And what higher surety can be found than the Holy Spirit? “Having denominated the gospel the word of truth, I will not prove it by the authority of men; for you have the testimony of the Spirit of God himself, who seals the truth of it in your hearts.”

This elegant comparison is taken from Seals, which among men have the effect of removing doubt. Seals give validity both to charters and to testaments; anciently, they were the principal means by which the writer of a letter could be known; and, in short, a seal distinguishes what is true and certain, from what is false and spurious. This office the apostle ascribes to the Holy Spirit, not only here, but in another part of this Epistle, (Eph_4:30,) and in the Second Epistle to the Corinthians, (2Co_1:22.)

Our minds never become so firmly established in the truth of God as to resist all the temptations of Satan, until we have been confirmed in it by the Holy Spirit. The true conviction which believers have of the word of God, of their own salvation, and of religion in general, does not spring from the judgment of the flesh, or from human and philosophical arguments, but from the sealing of the Spirit, who imparts to their consciences such certainty as to remove all doubt.

The foundation of faith would be frail and unsteady, if it rested on human wisdom; and therefore, as preaching is the instrument of faith, so the Holy Spirit makes preaching efficacious.
But is it not the faith itself which is here said to be sealed by the Holy Spirit? If so, faith goes before the sealing.

I answer, there are two operations of the Spirit in faith, corresponding to the two parts of which faith consists, as it enlightens, and as it establishes the mind. The commencement of faith is knowledge: the completion of it is a firm and steady conviction, which admits of no opposing doubt. Both, I have said, are the work of the Spirit. No wonder, then, if Paul should declare that the Ephesians, who received by faith the truth of the gospel, were confirmed in that faith by the seal of the Holy Spirit.
With that Holy Spirit of promise. This title is derived from the effect produced; for to him we owe it that the promise of salvation is not made to us in vain. As God promises in his word, “that he will be to us a Father,” (2Co_6:18,) so he gives to us the evidence of having adopted us by the Holy Spirit.

ye also: Eph_2:11, Eph_2:12, Col_1:21-23, 1Pe_2:10
after that ye heard: Eph_4:21, Joh_1:17, Rom_6:17, Rom_10:14-17, Col_1:4-6, Col_1:23, 1Th_2:13
the word: Psa_119:43, 2Co_6:7, 2Ti_2:15, Jam_1:18
the gospel: Mar_16:15, Mar_16:16, Act_13:26, Rom_1:16, 2Ti_3:15, Tit_2:11, Heb_2:3
ye we:re Eph_4:30, Joh_6:27, Rom_4:11, 2Co_1:22, 2Ti_2:19, Rev_7:2
holy: Joe_2:28, Luk_11:13, Luk_24:49, Joh_14:16, Joh_14:17, Joh_14:26, Joh_15:26, Joh_16:7-15, Act_1:4, Act_2:16-22, Act_2:33, Gal_3:14
Reciprocal: Exo_28:11 - engravings of a signet 2Ch_16:7 - Because Psa_86:2 - trusteth Psa_125:1 - that trust Pro_16:20 - whoso Son_2:12 - of the turtle Son_4:12 - sealed Son_8:5 - leaning Jer_32:10 - and sealed Eze_36:27 - I will Dan_3:28 - that trusted Zep_3:12 - and Mat_12:21 - General Luk_15:22 - a ring Joh_4:14 - shall be Joh_5:23 - all men Joh_7:39 - this spake Act_9:31 - and in Rom_5:5 - shed Rom_8:9 - if so be Rom_8:16 - Spirit Rom_15:12 - in him 1Co_15:19 - hope 2Co_5:5 - the earnest Gal_2:5 - that Gal_3:2 - Received Gal_4:6 - God Eph_1:12 - who Phi_1:27 - the faith Phi_2:1 - if any fellowship Phi_2:19 - But Col_1:5 - the word 2Ti_1:12 - believed Jam_1:21 - which 1Pe_1:8 - full 1Pe_1:21 - your

2) "After that ye heard the word of truth" (akousantes ton logon tes aletheias) "Hearing (while hearing) the word' of the truth." This is what Cornelius and his household did, Act_10:43-46; Act_11:21. Believing or trusting in the Lord is evidenced in one by a voluntary turning to worship and service toward Him, Act_9:5-9.

3) "The gospel of your salvation" (to evangelion tes soterias humon) "The gospel of your salvation or deliverance." The salvation of the Ephesians came through Paul's preaching and their acceptance of "repentance toward God," and faith toward the Lord Jesus Christ, Act_20:20-21; Act_20:26-31.

4) "In whom also after that ye believed" (en ho kai pisteusantes) "in whom also (when) ye believed," or having fully believed. The Holy Spirit quickens every believer to life eternal and seals the stamp of divine ownership upon him to eternal life, Joh_6:63; Joh_10:27-29; 1Jn_5:13.

5) "Ye were sealed with that Holy Spirit of promise" (esphragisthete to pneumati tes epangelias to hagio) "With the Holy Spirit of promise." This seal is heaven's stamp of eternal ownership of the sealed property, 2Ti_2:19; Eph_4:30. If salvation could ever be lost, it would have to be after the resurrection of the body of the believer; for until the redemption of the body (the purchased (paid for) possession of every believer), one is sealed. See also Rom_8:23.
Garner

View attachment 21868

Are we sealed with the Holy Spirit?
Being sealed by the Holy Spirit is that Jesus is in you and you in him. It keeps us from being possessed or fooled by Satan.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Really?
Think I'm going to take a sabbatical, 2 years or more..

Howdy Joe, you threw me on that one sir, had to look up the definition, I hope not, I would definitely miss you fer sher. Remember when we sign on to serve God, we sign on for an eternity my friend.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Howdy Joe,

No, I was joking brother and I am still learning, to have the discerment between that which is evil and that wich is good.
I'm a "leftie" and can hook, sometimes, old school style lol!
the wind blows, you cannot see it... The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit....a μυστήριον mysterion.
J.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

I believe it is all about walking our talk and not talking our walk

Mat 25:1 Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.
Mat 25:2 And five of them were wise, and five were foolish.
Mat 25:3 They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them:
Mat 25:4 But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.
Mat 25:5 While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept.
Mat 25:6 And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.
Mat 25:7 Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps.
Mat 25:8 And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.
Mat 25:9 But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.
Mat 25:10 And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.
Mat 25:11 Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.
Mat 25:12 But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not.
Mat 25:13 Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.
The Parable of the Talents
Mat 25:14 For the kingdom of heaven is as a man travelling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods.
Mat 25:15 And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey.
Mat 25:16 Then he that had received the five talents went and traded with the same, and made them other five talents.
Mat 25:17 And likewise he that had received two, he also gained other two.
Mat 25:18 But he that had received one went and digged in the earth, and hid his lord's money.
Mat 25:19 After a long time the lord of those servants cometh, and reckoneth with them.
Mat 25:20 And so he that had received five talents came and brought other five talents, saying, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me five talents: behold, I have gained beside them five talents more.
Mat 25:21 His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
Mat 25:22 He also that had received two talents came and said, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me two talents: behold, I have gained two other talents beside them.
Mat 25:23 His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
Mat 25:24 Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed:
Mat 25:25 And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine.
Mat 25:26 His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed:
Mat 25:27 Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury.
Mat 25:28 Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten talents.
Mat 25:29 For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath.
Mat 25:30 And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
The Final Judgment
Mat 25:31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
Mat 25:32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
Mat 25:33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
Mat 25:34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
Mat 25:35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
Mat 25:36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
Mat 25:37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
Mat 25:38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
Mat 25:39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
Mat 25:40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
Mat 25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
Mat 25:42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
Mat 25:43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
Mat 25:44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
Mat 25:45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
Mat 25:46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

There's a lot to glean from this chapter, in red, which means it is importante
J.

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a perfect example of how theological systems abuse the proof-texting method of interpretation. Usually a guiding principle or chief text is used to construct a theological grid by which all other texts are viewed. Be careful of grids from any source. They come from western logic, not revelation. The Bible is an eastern book. It presents truth in tension-filled, seemingly paradoxical pairs. Christians are meant to affirm both and live within the tension. The NT presents both the security of the believer and the demand for continuing faith and godliness. Christianity is an initial response of repentance and faith followed by a continuing response of repentance and faith. Salvation is not a product (a ticket to heaven or a fire insurance policy), but a relationship. It is a decision and discipleship. It is described in the NT in all VERB TENSES:

• AORIST (completed action), Acts 15:11; Rom. 8:24; 2 Tim. 1:9; Titus 3:5
  • PERFECT perfect (completed action with continuing results), Eph. 2:5,8
  • PRESENT (continuing action), 1 Cor. 1:18; 15:2; 2 Cor. 2:15
  • FUTUREfuture (future events or certain events), Rom. 5:8,10; 10:9; 1 Cor. 3:15; Phil. 1:28; 1 Thess. 5:8-9; Heb. 1:14; 9:28

very excellent!

Reactions: Johann

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe it is all about walking our talk and not talking our walk

Mat 25:1 Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.
Mat 25:2 And five of them were wise, and five were foolish.
Mat 25:3 They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them:
Mat 25:4 But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.
Mat 25:5 While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept.
Mat 25:6 And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.
Mat 25:7 Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps.
Mat 25:8 And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.
Mat 25:9 But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.
Mat 25:10 And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.
Mat 25:11 Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.
Mat 25:12 But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not.
Mat 25:13 Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.
The Parable of the Talents
Mat 25:14 For the kingdom of heaven is as a man travelling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods.
Mat 25:15 And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey.
Mat 25:16 Then he that had received the five talents went and traded with the same, and made them other five talents.
Mat 25:17 And likewise he that had received two, he also gained other two.
Mat 25:18 But he that had received one went and digged in the earth, and hid his lord's money.
Mat 25:19 After a long time the lord of those servants cometh, and reckoneth with them.
Mat 25:20 And so he that had received five talents came and brought other five talents, saying, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me five talents: behold, I have gained beside them five talents more.
Mat 25:21 His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
Mat 25:22 He also that had received two talents came and said, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me two talents: behold, I have gained two other talents beside them.
Mat 25:23 His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
Mat 25:24 Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed:
Mat 25:25 And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine.
Mat 25:26 His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed:
Mat 25:27 Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury.
Mat 25:28 Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten talents.
Mat 25:29 For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath.
Mat 25:30 And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
The Final Judgment
Mat 25:31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
Mat 25:32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
Mat 25:33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
Mat 25:34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
Mat 25:35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
Mat 25:36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
Mat 25:37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
Mat 25:38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
Mat 25:39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
Mat 25:40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
Mat 25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
Mat 25:42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
Mat 25:43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
Mat 25:44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
Mat 25:45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
Mat 25:46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

There's a lot to glean from this chapter, in red, which means it is importante
J.

My mind always goes to how everyone seems surprised in that passage. The one group seems to be saying, huh? When did we ever see you and feed you…? And the other group, huh? When did we ever see you and NOT feed you…?