Are you someone who believes in freewill or rejects freewill?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you someone who believes in free will or rejects free will?

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Charles Spurgeon didn't believe in it at all:

Charles Spurgeon on Free will

Free will carried many a soul to hell, but never a soul to heaven.

Free-will doctrine-what does it? It magnifies man into God. It declares God's purposes a nullity, since they cannot be carried out unless men are willing. It makes God's will a waiting servant to the will of man, and the whole covenant of grace dependent on human action. Denying election on the ground of injustice, it holds God to be a debtor to sinners.

I do not come into this pulpit hoping that perhaps somebody will of his own free will return to Christ. My hope lies in another quarter. I hope that my Master will lay hold of some of them and say, "You are mine, and you shall be mine. I claim you for myself." My hope arises from the freeness of grace, and not from the freedom of the will.

Free will I have often heard of, but I have never seen it. I have always met with will, and plenty of it, but it has either been led captive by sin or held in the blessed bonds of grace.

We would labor earnestly to raise a believer in salvation by free will into a believer in salvation by grace, for we long to see all religious teaching built upon the solid rock of truth and not upon the sand of imagination. At the same time, our grand object is not the revision of opinions, but the regeneration of natures. We should bring men to Christ, not to our own particular views of Christianity.

His will cannot be neutral or 'free' to act contrary to his nature.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Charles Spurgeon didn't believe in it at all:

Charles Spurgeon on Free will

Free will carried many a soul to hell, but never a soul to heaven.

Free-will doctrine-what does it? It magnifies man into God. It declares God's purposes a nullity, since they cannot be carried out unless men are willing. It makes God's will a waiting servant to the will of man, and the whole covenant of grace dependent on human action. Denying election on the ground of injustice, it holds God to be a debtor to sinners.

I do not come into this pulpit hoping that perhaps somebody will of his own free will return to Christ. My hope lies in another quarter. I hope that my Master will lay hold of some of them and say, "You are mine, and you shall be mine. I claim you for myself." My hope arises from the freeness of grace, and not from the freedom of the will.

Free will I have often heard of, but I have never seen it. I have always met with will, and plenty of it, but it has either been led captive by sin or held in the blessed bonds of grace.

We would labor earnestly to raise a believer in salvation by free will into a believer in salvation by grace, for we long to see all religious teaching built upon the solid rock of truth and not upon the sand of imagination. At the same time, our grand object is not the revision of opinions, but the regeneration of natures. We should bring men to Christ, not to our own particular views of Christianity.

His will cannot be neutral or 'free' to act contrary to his nature.
in this view God does not act on Love,

any relationship is based on love,, I can not recieve your love if you do not give me the freedom to chose to recieve it or reject it..

Reactions: ChristisGod

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We have limited choices. Eventually ALL will choose Jesus. That is why Jesus must rule until ALL go to him as described in 1 Corinthians 15.

A parent gives their toddler choices, but they don't permit the toddler the choice of running into traffic. God is the same with us. He will permit us to be lost for a time but not forever.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We have limited choices. Eventually ALL will choose Jesus. That is why Jesus must rule until ALL go to him as described in 1 Corinthians 15.

A parent gives their toddler choices, but they don't permit the toddler the choice of running into traffic. God is the same with us. He will permit us to be lost for a time but not forever.
Then what happened to Adam and Eve? Was not Adam the son of God with the choice to eat of the forbidden tree or not?

Lu 3:38Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.

Reactions: dev553344

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Even angels have freewill.

Jude 1:1 Verses 6 to 7. [6] And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Even angels have freewill.

Jude 1:1 Verses 6 to 7. [6] And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.
First let me say that I believe in free will. But the reference you're chosen here relates to Satan and his angels to be specific.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First let me say that I believe in free will. But the reference you're chosen here relates to Satan and his angels to be specific.
@dev553344

Ok still were angels. And would agree yes, youre right and if that is the case even those angels of Satan were judged, and done away with, at least in my opinion.

Thank you for sharing,
Matthew

Last edited: