Arguments over 'genealogies'

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
Hi all! :)

I've just been reading the forums the last two days and finding there is so much fights over meanningless things. And I don't mean it's bad to study this stuff or anything... It just seems that the conversation is not used for the edification of the body, but for the lifiting up of ones self and the tearing down of others. Is it just me?

This is a general observation of the way I find things have generally been.

Thoughts?

In the love of our Lord,

May God bless you!

Comm.Arnold

Apr 7, 2011
Hi Prentis my old buddy from way back we, go way back you and I brother. Sometimes brothers fight brother I've got three brothers and a lot of male cousins and ooohhhh man have we beaten eachother to a pulp a few times. At the end of the day though we would die for each other if we had to.

Comm.Arnold

Apr 7, 2011
Is that what we, as Christians should walk in, though? The kind of love that is self-destructive? ;)

Well no, but sometimes people just need to have it out with each other it's the only way some of us dinosaurs learn.

Yeah your right though Genealogies has to be pretty low on the list of importance to God. God does reward obedience and punish disobedience through a family line though or so I believe.... Maybe I just want to believe it because my Gramps and Great Gramps were some pretty serious religous men and they listened to God throughout much of my life. I think my dad fell off a little bit and then I'm trying to pick it up again.

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006

I've just been reading the forums the last two days and finding there is so much fights over meanningless things. And I don't mean it's bad to study this stuff or anything... It just seems that the conversation is not used for the edification of the body, but for the lifiting up of ones self and the tearing down of others. Is it just me?

Thoughts?

In the love of our Lord,

May God bless you!

The title of your thread, p, is "Arguments over 'genealogies' " but your op says nothing about genealogies. Are you refering to another thread somewhere or what? ?? I don't know why you chose "Arguments over 'genealogies' ?"

Jake

Aug 21, 2011
Western US

Thoughts?

In the love of our Lord,

May God bless you!
Amen brother! I admit, I do not have time to read every thread on this forum so I do not know specifics, but being on forums long enough I know the trivial arguments we find ourselves in, me being guilty of this in the past, as well. As you have pointed out with your geneology analogy, some things are not worth it.

In addition, people use their own interpetations or what they have been taught by their denominations of what God is conveying through the Bible, we throw scripture out proving our points or disproving others and most things can be "proven" this way, yet not everyone can be right, as we take scripture out of context or simply completely misunderstanding what the Bible is actually saying.

So we end up in this endless battle of arguing, over minute details, and unless the Holy Spirit is discerning, teaching and guiding us, we will never reach the truth. Heated arguments, fighting, name calling, etc. will never lead us to God's truth, when we reach this point, we have stifled the Holy Spirit and let our natural man take over.

peace in the Lord.

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
Tomwebster wants to argue about your title of arguments over genealogies... haha...

Not arguing at all, just wanting to know if there is a particular post P was referring to, I do not read most of the topics and posts on this board.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
Amen brother! I admit, I do not have time to read every thread on this forum so I do not know specifics, but being on forums long enough I know the trivial arguments we find ourselves in, me being guilty of this in the past, as well. As you have pointed out with your geneology analogy, some things are not worth it.

In addition, people use their own interpetations or what they have been taught by their denominations of what God is conveying through the Bible, we throw scripture out proving our points or disproving others and most things can be "proven" this way, yet not everyone can be right, as we take scripture out of context or simply completely misunderstanding what the Bible is actually saying.

So we end up in this endless battle of arguing, over minute details, and unless the Holy Spirit is discerning, teaching and guiding us, we will never reach the truth. Heated arguments, fighting, name calling, etc. will never lead us to God's truth, when we reach this point, we have stifled the Holy Spirit and let our natural man take over.

peace in the Lord.

Exactly brother. These arguments do not only create no growth, they stifle it. This behaviour destroys faith, and is opposite to faith. It strengthens the old man and leaves the new aside, seeking, like the religious, to establish some fact of the ressurection, or some fact of this... As Christ said to the disciples, about the kingdom being restored, 'it is not for you to know the time'. We have no need to know what kind of body we will receive in the next life, now if one wants to study it, I see nothing wrong with it. But tearing each other up, putting all our opinions (something which is of the old nature, not the new, by the way) up against everyone elses, starting to say that those who do not believe as we do are this... Or that...

It is not only that this is not building up the body, but it tears down faith, and builds an abomination instead.

Here, for tomwebster, this is what I was referring to:
Titus 3:9 But avoid foolish disputes, genealogies, contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and useless.
1 Timothy 1:4 nor give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which cause disputes rather than godly edification which is in faith.

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006

Here, for tomwebster, this is what I was referring to:
Titus 3:9 But avoid foolish disputes, genealogies, contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and useless.
1 Timothy 1:4 nor give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which cause disputes rather than godly edification which is in faith.

P,
Good job of taking two different verses of Scripture totally out of context again; you have become real good at that.

Have you ever read those two verses in context? Do you know what Paul is talking about and who he is talking to?
Was Paul talking about genealogies like the ones in Matthew 1 or Luke 3, or was he talking about some other situation being faced by the young church of his day?

In reality though, genealogies are not the topic you intended to discuss in this post.

Reactions: tomwebster

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
Told you that's what Tom Webster wanted to do... haha... what a joke... makes christianity look so stupid... adding Tom Webster to my hide list...

And good point Prentis... avoid foolish disputes... and what I've found is the best way on here to avoid foolish disputes is to avoid foolish disputers...

Keep the faith Prentis... don't waste your time on people that can't even see your intentions because all they're looking for is fault... they're a waste of your time...

Much love buddy...

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
Told you that's what Tom Webster wanted to do... haha... what a joke... makes christianity look so stupid... adding Tom Webster to my hide list...

And good point Prentis... avoid foolish disputes... and what I've found is the best way on here to avoid foolish disputes is to avoid foolish disputers...

Keep the faith Prentis... don't waste your time on people that can't even see your intentions because all they're looking for is fault... they're a waste of your time...

Much love buddy...

Thanks for your encouragment brother... Glad to know you see through the myriad! ;)

The Lord bless you, my brother :)

And thanks for the gentelness and love you have shown towards me

P,
Good job of taking two different verses of Scripture totally out of context again; you have become real good at that.

Have you ever read those two verses in context? Do you know what Paul is talking about and who he is talking to?
Was Paul talking about genealogies like the ones in Matthew 1 or Luke 3, or was he talking about some other situation being faced by the young church of his day?

In reality though, genealogies are not the topic you intended to discuss in this post.

If I wanted to discuss genealogies, I would of went exactly against what those two verses say :lol: Of course I didn't want that.

Call them fables, call them genealogies... Most of Christianity has become as two Pharisees arguing over which way the king would come return the kingdom to Israel. In the end the argument was useless and meaningless, and when the son of man came, they rejected Him.

7angels

Aug 13, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
60% of christians are babies in Christ. as such everything is about me. can you pray for me, can you encourage me, and ect... then you have 30% are childhood level. where you are unsteady, unreliable, impressionable, and spasmodic. always poking their nose in other peoples business, never learn the value of silence, and ect... the rest are mature christians(disciples in Christ). ability to see God at work, conscious of the presence of God, can hear God speaking, and ect...

we should be feeding milk and not meat. many here are not ready to hear the deep things of God. we all want to know the deep things but if we can't understand the basics then how will you understand it when it gets more complex?

Comm.Arnold

Apr 7, 2011
60% of christians are babies in Christ. as such everything is about me. can you pray for me, can you encourage me, and ect... then you have 30% are childhood level. where you are unsteady, unreliable, impressionable, and spasmodic. always poking their nose in other peoples business, never learn the value of silence, and ect... the rest are mature christians(disciples in Christ). ability to see God at work, conscious of the presence of God, can hear God speaking, and ect...

we should be feeding milk and not meat. many here are not ready to hear the deep things of God. we all want to know the deep things but if we can't understand the basics then how will you understand it when it gets more complex?

Wow did God appoint you to judge his entire flock ! Tell us about your amazing religious experience !!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One little mistake in the Bible leads to arguments - demanding that the entire Bible be taken literally sparks all kinds of distractions from loving our neighbors - it is downright diabolical

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
Countdown till someone comes in and says aspen's deceived by the devil for saying the bible has one little mistake starts in 3-2-1 ... hahahahahaha... nah.... hopefully not... much love for all you guys... stoke that there's people that are moving past the distractions to the purpose which is to love one another... that gives me hope!!!

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA

Don't know if I agree with those same percentages, but I definitely agree with that concept. Goes along with how many would be deceived by paganism through doctrines of men instead of staying in God's Word as written.

----------------------------------
"1 Tim 1:4
Fables-incipient Gnostic legends about the origin and propagation of angels, as at Colosse (Col 2:18-23). Rather, "Jewish fables" (Titus 1:14). "Profane and old wives' fables" (1 Tim 4:7; 2 Tim 4:4).

Genealogies. Not merely genealogies common among the Jews, tracing their descent from the patriarchs, which Paul would not class with "fables," but Gnostic genealogies of spirits and aeons, or emanations (Alford). So Tertullian, 'Adversus Valentinianos,' ch. iii., and Irenaeus, 'Praef.'

The Judaizers here, while maintaining the obligation of the Mosaic law, joined with it a theosophic ascetic tendency, pretending to see in it mysteries deeper than others. The seeds, not the full-grown Gnosticism of the post apostolic age, then existed. This formed the transition between Judaism and Gnosticism. "Endless" implies their tedious unprofitableness (cf. Titus 3:9). Scripture opposes to their 'aeons' the 'King of the aeons (so Greek, 1 Tim 1:17), to whom be glory throughout the aeons of aeons.' The word 'aeons' was possibly not used in the technical Gnostic sense as yet; but "the only wise God" (1 Tim 1:17), by anticipation, confutes subsequent notions in the Gnostics' own phraseology.
(from Jamieson, Fausset, and Brown Commentary, Electronic Database. Copyright (c) 1997 by Biblesoft)"
------------------------------------

In the 1st and 2nd century A.D. when Christianity was still young, the seeds of Gnosticism tried to push Greek pagan philosophy into Christian Doctrine. That was one of the MAJOR battles the early Church fought in the 1st, 2nd and later centuries A.D. It's those things Apostle Paul was warning Timothy about, for Paul once having been a Pharisee, he well knew of those Jewish teachings from the corruptions of the Jews when captive in Babylon. It's a lot of what the Babylonian Talmud and Jewish Kabbalah is about. Some of the early Church fathers specifically wrote against the heresies of Gnosticism and its attempt to creep into Christ's Church.

It's pretty obvious the "babes" here know little or nothing about the attempts of Gnostic pagan doctrine to infiltrate early Christianity, the seeds of it existing even among the false Jews that Apostle Paul contended with that were within Christ's Body in his day.

In Alexandria, Egypt, there was a Christian type seminary there which is where the Alexandrian NT manuscripts origiated that were used for the New International Version. A problem they had was with ideas of old mystical thought from ancient paganism. They had a problem with understanding the simplicity of Scripture, and instead reverted to systems of mysticism applied to Bible Scripture, which instead did nothing but cloud... God's Truth, which was a common trait of the pagan priest cast systems in ancient Egypt, Babylon, Assyria, Greece, Rome, etc. That's actually the subject Apostle Paul was talking about, not the genealogies within God's Word which our Heavenly Father Himself caused to be written by The Holy Spirit.

Reactions: tomwebster

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
One little mistake in the Bible leads to arguments - demanding that the entire Bible be taken literally sparks all kinds of distractions from loving our neighbors - it is downright diabolical

-- As far as loving your neighbor as yourself.

I know that I was going to be condemned for all eternity, I would want someone to tell me and not just leave me in the dark.
Especially if by telling me they introduce me to an awesome loving God.

Loving someone enough to not share what the Gospel says is literally loving them to death.
When they stand before God and say, "I didn't know."

And when you as a Christian stand before God, just saying, "I was busy showing them unconditional love" isn't going to cut it when He wants to know why you didn't warn them.

He will point out that if you truly loved them, you would have ensured they knew the danger of their lifestyle.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
-- As far as loving your neighbor as yourself.

I know that I was going to be condemned for all eternity, I would want someone to tell me and not just leave me in the dark.
Especially if by telling me they introduce me to an awesome loving God.

Loving someone enough to not share what the Gospel says is literally loving them to death.
When they stand before God and say, "I didn't know."

And when you as a Christian stand before God, just saying, "I was busy showing them unconditional love" isn't going to cut it when He wants to know why you didn't warn them.

He will point out that if you truly loved them, you would have ensured they knew the danger of their lifestyle.

Hmm...so are you saying that knowing about Hell brought you to Christianity?