Arrogance

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ok, so I am interested in the role of arrogance within the Christian life, the Church, and as a tool for witnessing.

1. Is arrogance compatible with Christianity? What does arrogance look like in a Christian? Does it look the same in a nonbeliever?
2. Is arrogance appropriate in the pulpit? Do you seek out leaders who have a reputation for arrogance? How is arrogance and standing up for what is right different?
3. Is arrogance an appropriate way to promote the truth of the gospel? Assuming arrogance is not a good quality, is it justified if people may be saved? Does the risk of arrogance outway being seen as weak and wishy-washy? Have you ever received accurate feedback about yourself exhibiting arrogance?

Pick one or answer them all - I am interested in your responses!

Last edited:

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1. Is arrogance capatable with Christianity?

I'm assuming you meant "compatible with christianity". I have to say no.

Arrogance comes off as "I'm better than you." It drives a wedge between yourself and those you're trying to reach.

Philippians 2
3 Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself.

l

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ok, so I am interested in the role of arrogance within the Christian life, the Church, and as a tool for witnessing.

1. Is arrogance capatable with Christianity? What does arrogance look like in a Christian? Does it look the same in a nonbeliever?
2. Is arrogance appropriate in the pulpit? Do you seek out leaders who have a reputation for arrogance? How is arrogance and standing up for what is right different?
3. Is arrogance an appropriate way to promote the truth of the gospel? Assuming arrogance is not a good quality, is it justified if people may be saved? Does the risk of arrogance outway being seen as weak and wishy-washy? Have you ever received accurate feedback about yourself exhibiting arrogance?

Pick one or answer them all - I am interested in your responses!
If we have been raised up with Christ, then we are above Satan and his demons in authority, and are fine and right to be forthright. But having been lost in times past ourselves, it is not right that we should show arrogance to the lost, but rather compassion. And to God and to our brothers and sisters in Christ, humility.

Reactions: Sword and aspen

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is God arrogant? I'd say at times by our standards he is. But, he's God.

So when he tod his apostles and prophets what to say, they came off as arrogent. Peter, John and especially Paul pulled it off brilliantly.

There is no reason for a Chtlristian to be arrogant. Confident? Yes. Bold? Sure at the right time. But we as Christians are blessed because of what Jesus did. And it can be had in the same portion by anyone.

I really don't feel food about bragging or being arrogant about something I didn't earn, something I don't deserve and something that was a gift. But I am happy I have it and do cherish it. And since others can have it too... I just wonder wht they wouldn't want it.

But I have nothing to be arrogant about.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Is that not what Lucifer had?!! Pride.

God says it better than I can :)

1 Samuel 2:3
- "Talk no more so exceeding proudly; let [not] arrogancy come out of your mouth: for the LORD [is] a God of knowledge, and by him actions are weighed."

Romans 12:3 - "For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think [of himself] more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith."

Proverbs 8:13 - "The fear of the LORD [is] to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate."
I actually think it is a spirit myself....
When we meet it ( even bump into it on this site! ha! ) our spiritual antenna rises...I think that is our inner man responding to an alien spirit that is not the Spirit of the Lord that we recognize. . .."My sheep know My voice, and a stranger they will not follow."

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A lot of peoole cannot see it. Especially when they have it. I mysekf might be guilty.

Reactions: Pisteuo and Job

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Its a good quote but I can't agree with it.
I agree that the Bible brings us to Jesus, but it is also our main and only compass. I don't mind tradition and intuition, but not when it contradicts the main compass

The quote seems to imply the old adage, "you can make the Bible say whatever you believe".

No you can't.

You can isolate some verse and use it to propt up a position, but if you don't listento the conclusion of the whole matter ypu will look foolish.

The quote does make that point also.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree that the Bible brings us to Jesus, but it is also our main and only compass. I don't mind tradition and intuition, but not when it contradicts the main compass

The quote seems to imply the old adage, "you can make the Bible say whatever you believe".

No you can't.

You can isolate some verse and use it to propt up a position, but if you don't listento the conclusion of the whole matter ypu will look foolish.

Yeah, I dont know if Lewis was advocating for tradition as authority with this quote - I think he was pointing out a key difference between the Pharisees and Jesus - the Pharisees had the law without application of heart - Jesus lived the law and therefore, fulfilled it. I think the quote is a caution against overidentification with the Bible, viewing it as our savior....

Reactions: FHII

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, I dont know if Lewis was advocating for tradition as authority with this quote - I think he was pointing out a key difference between the Pharisees and Jesus - the Pharisees had the law without application of heart - Jesus lived the law and therefore, fulfilled it. I think the quote is a caution against overidentification with the Bible, viewing it as our savior....
Not really sure either. Ive read two of his books (well, part of one before I had to return it). Brilliant writer. However I doubt he was discounting thr Bible. Not saying that is what you were saying... But I unashamingly say its above tradition. It should establish tradition.

Copperhead

Jul 3, 2017
iowa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sometimes folks will mistake confidence or conviction with arrogance. It is not always easy to differentiate.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Sometimes folks will mistake confidence or conviction with arrogance. It is not always easy to differentiate.

I think confidence and conviction tend to draw us ...as young Christians we want to be like the strong men of God.
But, arrogance brings out the worst in us...we withdraw..and back away.
Is that not where the arguments start :)

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

No you can't.

Consider the quote of C.S. Lewis in light of this verse written by the Apostle Paul:

"[God] Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life." II Cor 3:6

The "letter" alone is as I see it the Bible or the dead body of Jesus on the Cross prior to His resurrection. Then comes the quickening [bring to Life] Spirit and the words we have consumed come to Life within us. The Bible itself so long as it is never opened is as dead as any other book. Consider a person who reads the Bible in the wrong spirit, such as a serious atheist. He will not understand what he is reading and will use what he has read to try to mislead Christians.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Good thoughts CP but I think that arrogance is prides way of belittling, undermining or causing the listener to feel inferior in some way. Confidence and conviction differs in that it is an outspoken or quietly held assurance in the heart of the speaker regarding their beliefs on a particular subject or theme. It is a window into the relationship they have with God, by faith.

Reactions: bbyrd009 and Helen