Assurance of salvation

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010
When Jesus died on the cross, He took all sin upon Himself---ALL sin. Not just the sin of people who lived then, but all sin for all time. That means all the sin of everyone not even born yet, including you and me. That means all your sin and all mine---past, present and future. His blood is the most powerful substance in the universe.

What do you think it means that Jesus died once for all?

It is a common misinterpretation of scripture to believe that when we sin, we lose our salvation and must repent and be saved again, and again---and again. That is a false teaching that misconstrues GRACE. Paul is teaching us that those who CONTINUE in a lifestyle of sin do not know God.

Of course Jesus has taught me scripture (Are you also a poster with the user name, 'Giver'? This is his familiar mantra), as Jesus alone is our teacher by His Spirit. No one can know any truth except by Him.

Jesus knows and calls all His children by name, although He has once literally called me audibly by name.

I have answered everything that you have posed, but you are not satisfied with the truth.

Tell me how has Jesus personally taught you? You take one verse of the Word of God, and make it say what you want. The Church has never accepted your understanding of that verse. Why then do you believe you are right?
Paul tells us one who sins will never enter the kingdom of God, yet you believe one can sin and there is no accounting for that sin.

There is so much scripture that says you are wrong, why then do you accept Satan’s lie?

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Tell me how has Jesus personally taught you? You take one verse of the Word of God, and make it say what you want. The Church has never accepted your understanding of that verse. Why then do you believe you are right?
Paul tells us one who sins will never enter the kingdom of God, yet you believe one can sin and there is no accounting for that sin.

There is so much scripture that says you are wrong, why then do you accept Satan’s lie?

Rather than get personal here---which I hate to do---I will state the obvious: We cannot know any truth except that Holy Spirit has taught us. Scripture is plain. It is alive and active and cuts into our hearts. minds and even our bodies with truth and life! the Church of Jesus Christ understands this very well. It is a seeming loud minority that doesn't. They need to keep quiet and learn from those who know the truth before they venture out, presuming to be teachers of truth.

Paul is teaching that those who continue to sin as a way of life---as we all did before knowing Jesus Christ---will not see the Kingdom. You have been taught a lie by some denominational church, or by your own self outside of the valuable teachings of the Church and God's Word, that we lose our salvation when we sin. That is a lie of the devil. Every Christian will sin. God doesn't expect us to live perfect lives, but when we slip up, we have an advocate with the Father ready, waiting and willing to restore us back into full and close fellowship with Himself. 1 John 2:1

There is no scripture that can prove me wrong in this case. What you are teaching flies in the face of God's grace!

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010
Rather than get personal here---which I hate to do---I will state the obvious: We cannot know any truth except that Holy Spirit has taught us. Scripture is plain. It is alive and active and cuts into our hearts. minds and even our bodies with truth and life! the Church of Jesus Christ understands this very well. It is a seeming loud minority that doesn't. They need to keep quiet and learn from those who know the truth before they venture out, presuming to be teachers of truth.

Paul is teaching that those who continue to sin as a way of life---as we all did before knowing Jesus Christ---will not see the Kingdom. You have been taught a lie by some denominational church, or by your own self outside of the valuable teachings of the Church and God's Word, that we lose our salvation when we sin. That is a lie of the devil. Every Christian will sin. God doesn't expect us to live perfect lives, but when we slip up, we have an advocate with the Father ready, waiting and willing to restore us back into full and close fellowship with Himself. 1 John 2:1

There is no scripture that can prove me wrong in this case. What you are teaching flies in the face of God's grace!

Hebrews tells us a sin. Of course in order to believe your theology Hebrews has to be discarded. It is in the written Word of God, but it some how needs to be made to be irrelevant. In the case of Hebrews Calvin and the rest of the reformers, had to find a way to eliminate what it says. There are other letters that make Calvin and Luther look bad, so like James’ letter need to be gotten put away.

You have no answers and keep ignoring my questions. Does it not bother your conscience when you it is pointed out just how wrong your teachings are?

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Hebrews tells us a sin. Of course in order to believe your theology Hebrews has to be discarded. It is in the written Word of God, but it some how needs to be made to be irrelevant. In the case of Hebrews Calvin and the rest of the reformers, had to find a way to eliminate what it says. There are other letters that make Calvin and Luther look bad, so like James’ letter need to be gotten put away.

You have no answers and keep ignoring my questions. Does it not bother your conscience when you it is pointed out just how wrong your teachings are?

You completely misapprehend the truth and are dangerous to our weaker brothers and sisters in Christ, not to mention those who would come to Christ. What you teach clouds the gospel, and muddies the grace of God, making God out to be a liar. The entire word of God does not teach what you are teaching. Are you saying that you never sin---that every time you do sin, that you lose your position with God? That Jesus has left you and forsaken you? That He is not able to keep you?

Proverbs 22:12
The LORD preserves those with knowledge, but he ruins the plans of the treacherous.

There is no righteousness that we can add to our salvation by grace, but we hold to our faith. As we receive that wonderful gift so we walk in Him---by His GRACE!

Colossians 2:6-23
[sup]6[/sup] And now, just as you accepted Christ Jesus as your Lord, you must continue to follow him. [sup]7[/sup] Let your roots grow down into him, and let your lives be built on him. Then your faith will grow strong in the truth you were taught, and you will overflow with thankfulness.
[sup]8[/sup] Don’t let anyone capture you with empty philosophies and high-sounding nonsense that come from human thinking and from the spiritual powers of this world, rather than from Christ. [sup]9[/sup] For in Christ lives all the fullness of God in a human body. [sup]10[/sup] So you also are complete through your union with Christ, who is the head over every ruler and authority.
[sup]11[/sup] When you came to Christ, you were “circumcised,” but not by a physical procedure. Christ performed a spiritual circumcision—the cutting away of your sinful nature. [sup]12[/sup] For you were buried with Christ when you were baptized. And with him you were raised to new life because you trusted the mighty power of God, who raised Christ from the dead.
[sup]13[/sup] You were dead because of your sins and because your sinful nature was not yet cut away. Then God made you alive with Christ, for he forgave all our sins. [sup]14[/sup] He canceled the record of the charges against us and took it away by nailing it to the cross. [sup]15[/sup] In this way, he disarmed the spiritual rulers and authorities. He shamed them publicly by his victory over them on the cross.
[sup]16[/sup] So don’t let anyone condemn you for what you eat or drink, or for not celebrating certain holy days or new moon ceremonies or Sabbaths. [sup]17[/sup] For these rules are only shadows of the reality yet to come. And Christ himself is that reality. [sup]18[/sup] Don’t let anyone condemn you by insisting on pious self-denial or the worship of angels, saying they have had visions about these things. Their sinful minds have made them proud, [sup]19[/sup] and they are not connected to Christ, the head of the body. For he holds the whole body together with its joints and ligaments, and it grows as God nourishes it.
[sup]20[/sup] You have died with Christ, and he has set you free from the spiritual powers of this world. So why do you keep on following the rules of the world, such as, [sup]21[/sup] “Don’t handle! Don’t taste! Don’t touch!”? [sup]22[/sup] Such rules are mere human teachings about things that deteriorate as we use them. [sup]23[/sup] These rules may seem wise because they require strong devotion, pious self-denial, and severe bodily discipline. But they provide no help in conquering a person’s evil desires.

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010
You completely misapprehend the truth and are dangerous to our weaker brothers and sisters in Christ, not to mention those who would come to Christ. What you teach clouds the gospel, and muddies the grace of God, making God out to be a liar. The entire word of God does not teach what you are teaching. Are you saying that you never sin---that every time you do sin, that you lose your position with God? That Jesus has left you and forsaken you? That He is not able to keep you?

Proverbs 22:12
The LORD preserves those with knowledge, but he ruins the plans of the treacherous.

There is no righteousness that we can add to our salvation by grace, but we hold to our faith. As we receive that wonderful gift so we walk in Him---by His GRACE!

Colossians 2:6-23
[sup]6[/sup] And now, just as you accepted Christ Jesus as your Lord, you must continue to follow him. [sup]7[/sup] Let your roots grow down into him, and let your lives be built on him. Then your faith will grow strong in the truth you were taught, and you will overflow with thankfulness.
[sup]8[/sup] Don’t let anyone capture you with empty philosophies and high-sounding nonsense that come from human thinking and from the spiritual powers of this world, rather than from Christ. [sup]9[/sup] For in Christ lives all the fullness of God in a human body. [sup]10[/sup] So you also are complete through your union with Christ, who is the head over every ruler and authority.
[sup]11[/sup] When you came to Christ, you were “circumcised,” but not by a physical procedure. Christ performed a spiritual circumcision—the cutting away of your sinful nature. [sup]12[/sup] For you were buried with Christ when you were baptized. And with him you were raised to new life because you trusted the mighty power of God, who raised Christ from the dead.
[sup]13[/sup] You were dead because of your sins and because your sinful nature was not yet cut away. Then God made you alive with Christ, for he forgave all our sins. [sup]14[/sup] He canceled the record of the charges against us and took it away by nailing it to the cross. [sup]15[/sup] In this way, he disarmed the spiritual rulers and authorities. He shamed them publicly by his victory over them on the cross.
[sup]16[/sup] So don’t let anyone condemn you for what you eat or drink, or for not celebrating certain holy days or new moon ceremonies or Sabbaths. [sup]17[/sup] For these rules are only shadows of the reality yet to come. And Christ himself is that reality. [sup]18[/sup] Don’t let anyone condemn you by insisting on pious self-denial or the worship of angels, saying they have had visions about these things. Their sinful minds have made them proud, [sup]19[/sup] and they are not connected to Christ, the head of the body. For he holds the whole body together with its joints and ligaments, and it grows as God nourishes it.
[sup]20[/sup] You have died with Christ, and he has set you free from the spiritual powers of this world. So why do you keep on following the rules of the world, such as, [sup]21[/sup] “Don’t handle! Don’t taste! Don’t touch!”? [sup]22[/sup] Such rules are mere human teachings about things that deteriorate as we use them. [sup]23[/sup] These rules may seem wise because they require strong devotion, pious self-denial, and severe bodily discipline. But they provide no help in conquering a person’s evil desires.
Sin is any wrongdoing. Jesus came to do away with sin. If you sin you are of the devil.

I did not say that John said that.

When people deny that one can stop sinning they are in partnership with Satan.

Keeping people from understanding that he or she never has to sin again, it doing Satan’s work.

1 John 3:8) “He who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil's work”

(1 John 3: 5 - 6) “ Now you know that He appeared in order to abolish sin, and that in Him there is no sin; anyone who lives in God does not sin, and anyone who sins has never seen Him or known Him.”

(1 John 3:9) “No one, who has been begotten by God sins; because God’s seed remains inside him, he cannot sin when he has been begotten by God.”

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Sin is any wrongdoing. Jesus came to do away with sin. If you sin you are of the devil.

I sin occasionally and I am not of the devil, but of Christ. What do you say to that? You misinterpret the word of God concerning those who continue to sin as they did before Christ. We are instructed to undergo the renewing of our minds. Not one single Christian on this planet has EVER been able to not sin. God doesn't expect us to never sin. He doesn't place impossible standards on us like are doing. You are making a mockery of God's grace, and substituting yourself as your own saviour, if you think we are saved by our good behaviour.

Sin doesn't cause us to lose our salvation, but one can reject it, or throw it away. We are only required to maintain the salvation we have received by maintaining our faith--holding fast to it. sin causes us to lose fellowship with the Father, but it doesn't cause us to lose salvation. We are kept by the power of God to salvation by faith (1 Peter 1:3). Sin used to separate us from God under the Old Covenant, but not under the New Covenant, where God has ALREADY JUDGED ALL SIN ON CHRIST'S BODY! He was the perfect sacrifice---He justified me and made me blameless! You cannot perform any work or commit any good behaviour enough to justify yourself.

Romans 8:1-4
[sup]1[/sup]So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. [sup]2[/sup] And because you belong to him, the power of the life-giving Spirit has freed you from the power of sin that leads to death. [sup]3[/sup] The law of Moses was unable to save us because of the weakness of our sinful nature. So God did what the law could not do. He sent his own Son in a body like the bodies we sinners have. And in that body God declared an end to sin’s control over us by giving his Son as a sacrifice for our sins. [sup]4[/sup] He did this so that the just requirement of the law would be fully satisfied for us, who no longer follow our sinful nature but instead follow the Spirit.

I did not say that John said that.

When people deny that one can stop sinning they are in partnership with Satan.

No--your false gospel is satanic.

Keeping people from understanding that he or she never has to sin again, it doing Satan’s work.

No---your claim that we must all be perfect and never fail the tests and trials of living by faith in Jesus Christ is from hell. You are misinterpreting scriptures that refer to the reprobate and applying them to the life we live as followers of Christ, where we stumble along and grow in Him as we learn to walk well with Him by His patient and merciful Spirit.

If I was not a believer already and listened to you, I'd want nothing to do with the harsh, merciless, lying god you promote. You need to get yourself to a good, bible believing and bible teaching church fellowship that doesn't deny the work of the Holy Spirit. In the meantime, I will pray for you, that the Lord will send His Spirit to open your eyes to His truth, and that he will send strong believers to cross your path and that you will respect them enough to listen and learn from them.

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010
I sin occasionally and I am not of the devil, but of Christ. What do you say to that? you misinterpret the word of God concerning those who continue to sin as they did before christ. We are instructed to undergo the renewing of our minds. Not one single Christian on this planet has EVER been able to not sin. God doesn't expect us to never sin. He doesn;t place impossible standards on us like are doing. You are making a mockery of God's grace, and substituting yourself as your own saviour, if you think we are saved by our good behaviour.

No--your false gospel is satanic.

No---your claim that we must all be perfect and never fail the tests and trials of living by faith in Jesus Christ is from hell. You are misinterpreting scriptures that refer to the reprobate and applying them to the life we live as followers of Christ, where we stumble along and grow in Him as we learn to walk well with Him by His patient and merciful Spirit.

If I was not a believer already and listened to you, I'd want nothing to do with the harsh, merciless, lying god you promote. You need to get yourself to a good, bible believing and bible teaching church fellowship that doesn't deny the work of the Holy Spirit. In the meantime, I will pray for you, that the Lord will send His Spirit to open your eyes to His truth, and that he will send strong believers to cross your path and that you will respect them enough to listen and learn from them.

Why don’t you show us what scripture I am misquoting? I just quoted John, show me how I misinterpreted what he said.

A sinner is of Satan. If you sin you are not a Christian, but a follower of the devil. John said that. You show me how I have misquoted him.

1 John 3:8) “He who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil's work”

(1 John 3: 5 - 6) “ Now you know that He appeared in order to abolish sin, and that in Him there is no sin; anyone who lives in God does not sin, and anyone who sins has never seen Him or known Him.”

(1 John 3:9) “No one, who has been begotten by God sins; because God’s seed remains inside him, he cannot sin when he has been begotten by God.”

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Why don’t you show us what scripture I am misquoting? I just quoted John, show me how I misinterpreted what he said.

A sinner is of Satan. If you sin you are not a Christian, but a follower of the devil. John said that. You show me how I have misquoted him.

I am sorry, but I have shown you the error are promoting. You are refusing to hear. I have dealt with you before on another board, and it is just more of the same, here, with you re-quoting the exact same couple of verses continually, which are out of context, and that shows that you have a poor grasp of the full volume of the Book.

If you claim to never sin, then you lie and that is a sin. What's now in store for you according to your gospel?

Good evening.

TruthSeeker2012

Mar 9, 2012
Can we have assurance of eternal life and salvation now? The answer is YES!

1 John 5:13 These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life.

Also, John 14:1-3 says that if you trust in Jesus, which you do, then Jesus will come back and take you to heaven. So you need to ask yourself this... is Jesus lying or telling the truth? And can Jesus be trusted by what He said and promised?

Jesus cannot lie and in John 14:1-3 He has PROMISED to come back for YOU and take YOU to heaven, because you trust in Him. That's a FACT!

People who say they cannot know if they are saved or have eternal life or has salvation, are basically calling Jesus a liar when He said:

John 14:1-3 "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.

God bless.

...If you claim to never sin, then you lie and that is a sin. ....

That depends whom you ask.

If you ask humans and sinners if a born again Christian sins, the answer is yes. But if you ask God if a born again Christian sins, the answer is no, and the reason for that is that once a sinner comes to Christ by faith, Jesus' imputes and credits His righteousness to the Christian and now the Christian stands JUSTIFIED which means "Just as if I had never sinned" and I am now clothed with Jesus' perfection and righteousness, and when Father God views me, He legally sees me "In Christ" and sees a sinless and perfect child. That's the GOOD NEWS and that's GRACE!

Hasn't anyone explained this to you before? Hasn't your Pastor ever taught you this? Many Pastors don't even understand this, so maybe your Pastor doesnt know and as a result you have never been taught the Gospel and justification by faith and grace before.

God bless.

Sabitarian

Sep 11, 2011
Truthseaker2012,
I must ask you for any proof that we ever go to Heaven. I see nowhere in scripture where we ever get outside of time and since Heaven the home of God is outside of time and space, how can you say that we ever get there? In the 1,000 year reign of Christ we will be here on a renewed earth growing our own food and are commanded to come up to the Throne for the Feast of Tabernacles or suffer with no rain in season. I am afraid no rain means going hungry, a just punishment.
I do appreciate most of your posts, however accuracy is very important to me.
humble servant of the Lord God Most High

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
Can we have assurance of eternal life and salvation now? The answer is YES!

1 John 5:13 These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life.

Also, John 14:1-3 says that if you trust in Jesus, which you do, then Jesus will come back and take you to heaven. So you need to ask yourself this... is Jesus lying or telling the truth? And can Jesus be trusted by what He said and promised?

Jesus cannot lie and in John 14:1-3 He has PROMISED to come back for YOU and take YOU to heaven, because you trust in Him. That's a FACT!

People who say they cannot know if they are saved or have eternal life or has salvation, are basically calling Jesus a liar when He said:

John 14:1-3 "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.

God bless.

That depends whom you ask.

If you ask humans and sinners if a born again Christian sins, the answer is yes. But if you ask God if a born again Christian sins, the answer is no, and the reason for that is that once a sinner comes to Christ by faith, Jesus' imputes and credits His righteousness to the Christian and now the Christian stands JUSTIFIED which means "Just as if I had never sinned" and I am now clothed with Jesus' perfection and righteousness, and when Father God views me, He legally sees me "In Christ" and sees a sinless and perfect child. That's the GOOD NEWS and that's GRACE!

Hasn't anyone explained this to you before? Hasn't your Pastor ever taught you this? Many Pastors don't even understand this, so maybe your Pastor doesnt know and as a result you have never been taught the Gospel and justification by faith and grace before.

God bless.
Even when one is a born again you can fall. so it is not some sort of right you have won. and Satan can and will tempt you at every opportunity so i would say it's foolishness to say you now have it all in the bag as old mate Satan would be very pleased with such a boast.
To say such foolishness is to underestimate Satan.
One must be born again to be on the path and that is mainly what that is, as you have not arrived.
To have hope is one thing but bosting is nothing.

mark s

Nov 12, 2010
In Colossians 3, Paul wrote that if you have been raised with Christ, having died with Him, then you will appear with Him in glory.

This is prophetic. If it does not come true for you than Scripture would be broken.

Whoever you are who has died, been raised with Christ.

See Romans 6 for a greater expanation of that.

Love in Christ,

Mark

neophyte

Apr 25, 2012
John 6:70-71 - Jesus chose or elected twelve, yet one of them, Judas, fell. Not all those predestined to grace persevere to the end.