Assurance of salvation

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Colossians 1:21-29

[sup]21[/sup] This includes you who were once far away from God. You were his enemies, separated from him by your evil thoughts and actions. [sup]22[/sup] Yet now he has reconciled you to himself through the death of Christ in his physical body. As a result, he has brought you into his own presence, and you are holy and blameless as you stand before him without a single fault.
[sup]23[/sup] But you must continue to believe this truth and stand firmly in it. Don’t drift away from the assurance you received when you heard the Good News. The Good News has been preached all over the world, and I, Paul, have been appointed as God’s servant to proclaim it.
Paul’s Work for the Church

[sup]24[/sup] I am glad when I suffer for you in my body, for I am participating in the sufferings of Christ that continue for his body, the church. [sup]25[/sup] God has given me the responsibility of serving his church by proclaiming his entire message to you. [sup]26[/sup] This message was kept secret for centuries and generations past, but now it has been revealed to God’s people. [sup]27[/sup] For God wanted them to know that the riches and glory of Christ are for you Gentiles, too. And this is the secret: Christ lives in you. This gives you assurance of sharing his glory.
[sup]28[/sup] So we tell others about Christ, warning everyone and teaching everyone with all the wisdom God has given us. We want to present them to God, perfect in their relationship to Christ. [sup]29[/sup] That’s why I work and struggle so hard, depending on Christ’s mighty power that works within me.

Be wise, therefore, and do not preach that one cannot depend on the power of Christ. or be guilty of leading people astray. There is a negative consequence to the preaching of the unfaithfulness of God. It's Satan's work.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Salvation is of faith and grace, not works. My best argument for that is the thief on the cross. If I saw a man leaving this life in the street, and he accepted Jesus right then and there, then he receives the free gift just like anyone else. Works are evident in the life of a believer, not through the actions of the believer, but through the HolySpirit. How can I, without the shed blood of Christ, stand worthy before God? And even as I am being transformed into the image of Christ, I am still unworthy to stand before God, without my blood-washed garments. The imagery of the garments represents us putting on our faith in Jesus' righteousness to cover our own rags.

I am not uncertain about my salvation, because I believe the holy word of God. His promises are true. Yes it is true that Jesus removes the sin of the world. Yes it is true if I only confess and believe I will receive eternal life. Yes I am a citizen of Heaven now, a saint, a royal priest. I am no longer held to the trappings of this world, but I gladly go into the bondage of Christ, being bought at a worthy price. Salvation is not something attained but gained as a free gift. This gift is given for all, yet all will not receive it, nor accept it properly. So many think it is by something that we do, I say undoubtedly no. Our God is the one who saves, not us. I can plant the seed, and even water it; God is the one who grows the plant of salvation.

Now, this confidence allows me to live boldly, in Christ. When I pray, as a citizen of Heaven, I AM HEARD! As I seek to be pleasing in the sight of my Lord, I am. Why, some might ask. Because my faith and trust is in Him not myself. Because I receive the righteousness of a sinless life, and not my own. I am not self righteous, my righteous acts are prepared for me, by God. I will not fail in what is prepared for me, because He knows the outcome before I attempt anything. No longer am I held in vanity, now I am held in Christ's righteousness.

Do I have a free ticket to sin? Do not be absurd. Those who truly believe Jesus is the Christ abhor sin, and seek to please God, we gladly repent.

I will call the call of scripture. Be transformed by the renewing of your mind. See yourselves as the new creation you are. Do not be prideful, for it was by nothing you did, and you can not boast. But be bold in Christ. Shout it from the rooftops, do not hide yourselves under your bed, get on the lamp stand. Be the shining example of Christ to all you encounter in love and humility.

Reactions: Lively Stone

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Amen, justaname!
amensmiley.gif

ttruscott

Feb 3, 2012
Wet Coast of Canada
Yep. It was obviously his spirit that went, not his flesh body.

He said he didn't know - but you are sure!? Cool....

Meself, I think it is open and both are possible.

Hi Stone,

But going to God doesn't necessitate going to heaven. If God is omnipresent then wherever one goes at death they are with God. David said, if I make my bed in Hades, you (God) are there.

You are correct of course, but if that is all it means, then that is like saying: "where ever you go, there you are!" a tautology. I think it means more than that and they go to where GOD IS outside of our earth or they go to where they last saw GOD and are going back to HIM there.

Peace, Ted

Yep. It was obviously his spirit that went, not his flesh body.

So, if Paul went to heaven in his spirit, you must accept that his spirit came from there in the first place as per

[sup]KJV [/sup]John 3:13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.

the word even being added in...so let's add in including, eh?

:) Ted

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
He said he didn't know - but you are sure!? Cool....

Meself, I think it is open and both are possible.

Both can't be possible, not if you understand about the "caught up" of 1 Thess.4 along with that, in comparison to Philip in Acts 8 being "caught away" and found in another location on earth, and not in Paradise.

So, if Paul went to heaven in his spirit, you must accept that his spirit came from there in the first place as per

John 3:13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.

That's a very deep verse, and it takes a lot to understand it, because our Lord Jesus gave a condition with it about Himself. Truly, no flesh born man has descended or ascended from or to Heaven, and then to the right hand of The Father. Yet we know Enoch and Elijah were taken to heaven, but not to God's Throne like our Lord Jesus. Huge difference.

ttruscott

Feb 3, 2012
Wet Coast of Canada
Both can't be possible, not if you understand about the "caught up" of 1 Thess.4 along with that, in comparison to Philip in Acts 8 being "caught away" and found in another location on earth, and not in Paradise.

That's a very deep verse, and it takes a lot to understand it, because our Lord Jesus gave a condition with it about Himself. Truly, no flesh born man has descended or ascended from or to Heaven, and then to the right hand of The Father. Yet we know Enoch and Elijah were taken to heaven, but not to God's Throne like our Lord Jesus. Huge difference.

Yet we know Enoch and Elijah were taken to heaven, but not to God's Throne like our Lord Jesus. Huge difference.

How do we know that? :huh:

Ted

Butch5

Butch5
Oct 24, 2009
Homer Ga.
You are correct of course, but if that is all it means, then that is like saying: "where ever you go, there you are!" a tautology. I think it means more than that and they go to where GOD IS outside of our earth or they go to where they last saw GOD and are going back to HIM there.

Peace, Ted

Do you have any Scripture suggesting such?

Paul went to heaven: 2 Corinthians 12:2

We're talking about at death. John was caught up also, but both he and Paul lived afterward.

ttruscott

Feb 3, 2012
Wet Coast of Canada
snapback.png
ttruscott, on 23 February 2012 - 03:13 PM, said:

Do you have any Scripture suggesting such?

Some are discussed in Post #304, this topic...

We're talking about at death. John was caught up also, but both he and Paul lived afterward.

People use John 3:13 to answer me when I am not talking about the dead... shrug.

Peace, Ted

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010
First one needs to define being saved. Can you show me were in scripture it says being saved means assured of heaven?

Paul explains that the Law will judge those who still sin. Those who live in the Spirit, live a holy life.

(Galations 5:13-26)”For you were called for freedom, brothers. But do not use this freedom as an opportunity for the flesh; rather, serve one another through love. For the whole law is fulfilled in one statement, namely, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” But if you go on biting and devouring one another, beware that you are not consumed by one another. I say, then: live by the Spirit and you will certainly not gratify the desire of the flesh. For the flesh has desires against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; these are opposed to each other, so that you may not do what you want. But if you are guided by the Spirit, you are not under the law. Now the works of the flesh are obvious: immorality, impurity, licentiousness, idolatry, sorcery, hatreds, rivalry, jealousy, outbursts of fury, acts of selfishness, dissensions, factions, occasions of envy, drinking bouts, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. In contrast, the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. Now those who belong to Christ [Jesus] have crucified their flesh with its passions and desires. If we live in the Spirit, let us also follow the Spirit. Let us not be conceited, provoking one another, envious of one another.”

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
First one needs to define being saved. Can you show me were in scripture it says being saved means assured of heaven?

John 3:16-18a
[sup]16[/sup] “For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. [sup]17[/sup] God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him. [sup]18[/sup] “There is no judgment against anyone who believes in him.

Colossians 1:27
For God wanted them to know that the riches and glory of Christ are for you Gentiles, too. And this is the secret: Christ lives in you. This gives you assurance of sharing his glory.

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010
John 3:16-18a
[sup]16[/sup] “For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. [sup]17[/sup] God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him. [sup]18[/sup] “There is no judgment against anyone who believes in him.

Colossians 1:27
For God wanted them to know that the riches and glory of Christ are for you Gentiles, too. And this is the secret: Christ lives in you. This gives you assurance of sharing his glory.

Your verses do not say where one will spend eternal life. You see if one sins he or he will never enter the kingdom of God.

(1 Corinthians 6:9-19) “You know perfectly well that people who do wrong will not inherit the Kingdom of God: people of immoral lives, idolaters, adulterers, catamites, sodomites, thieves, usurers, drunkards, slanders and swindlers will never inherit the kingdom of God.”

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Your verses do not say where one will spend eternal life. You see if one sins he or he will never enter the kingdom of God.

(1 Corinthians 6:9-19) “You know perfectly well that people who do wrong will not inherit the Kingdom of God: people of immoral lives, idolaters, adulterers, catamites, sodomites, thieves, usurers, drunkards, slanders and swindlers will never inherit the kingdom of God.”

Jesus said he has gone to prepare a place for us and that he will come and take us to that place to be with Him. that is His Kingdom. Heaven.

We are saved by God's grace through our faith. That is permanent. Even when we fail the Lord and sin, we have a ready forgiveness and restoration available---every time. That is the believer's assurance, praise God!

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010
Jesus said he has gone to prepare a place for us and that he will come and take us to that place to be with Him. that is His Kingdom. Heaven.

We are saved by God's grace through our faith. That is permanent. Even when we fail the Lord and sin, we have a ready forgiveness and restoration available---every time. That is the believer's assurance, praise God!
Yes Jesus said what you quoted, but where is your proof that he was talking about one who still sins?

Have you ever had Jesus teach you scripture? How do you answer what John told us in the following verses? Do you really believe someone who is of the devil will enter the kingdom of God?

Calvin’s teaching were a case of someone who was in a state of denial. He told people what they wanted to hear and followers flocked to him. People had stopped listening to God, and were following man’s teaching about God.

You can believe your understanding of the verses you quote, but in order to do so you need to ignore much of the rest of scripture that tells you that what you believe is wrong.

(1 John 3: 5 - 6) “ Now you know that He appeared in order to abolish sin, and that in Him there is no sin; anyone who lives in God does not sin, and anyone who sins has never seen Him or known Him.”

(1 John 3:9) “No one, who has been begotten by God sins; because God’s seed remains inside him, he cannot sin when he has been begotten by God.”

(1 John 5:18) “ We know that anyone born of God does not continue to sin; the one who was born of God keeps him safe, and the evil one cannot harm him”

Jesus came to abolish sin, and in his people no sin will be found. A Christian is dead to sin.

(Romans 6:11) “In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus”

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Yes Jesus said what you quoted, but where is your proof that he was talking about one who still sins?

We all still sin, yet we are considered a holy people and children of the Father.

Have you ever had Jesus teach you scripture?

Only Jesus can teach us the truth of scripture by His Spirit.

John 16:13
When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all truth.

1 John 1:26
But you are not like that, for the Holy One has given you his Spirit, and all of you know the truth.

How do you answer what John told us in the following verses? Do you really believe someone who is of the devil will enter the kingdom of God?

Anyone who is in sin is not a believer in Jesus Christ. Believers have been washed clean of ALL their sin---past, present and future. therefore those who are not saved by grace and by faith in Jesus Christ are children of the devil, and are not citizens of the Kingdom of God.

John 8:42-44
[sup]42[/sup] Jesus told them, “If God were your Father, you would love me, because I have come to you from God. I am not here on my own, but he sent me. [sup]43[/sup] Why can’t you understand what I am saying? It’s because you can’t even hear me! [sup]44[/sup] For you are the children of your father the devil, and you love to do the evil things he does. He was a murderer from the beginning. He has always hated the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, it is consistent with his character; for he is a liar and the father of lies.

Jesus came to abolish sin, and in his people no sin will be found. A Christian is dead to sin.

That is correct, sin is not accounted to us who walk with Jesus. A Christian is indeed dead to sin, yet you misunderstand, thinking that we never sin again once we have come to Christ. You are placing a heavy burden on the necks of people with this false understanding. If you think we lose our salvation when we sin---and we do sin---even you---then you are in effect saying that God's grace is defective and that all we must do is never sin again and we will retain our righteousness. That is a lie. We are already righteous and holy in the eyes of God because of the blood of Jesus. He alone is our Saviour and not ourselves by our behaviour.

I am sorry you do not experience assurance of your salvation, but mine is assured by Jesus Himself who lives in me by His Spirit, the sealing of His promise in me, and because He says He will never leave me or forsake me.

Hebrews 13:5b
...For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010
We all still sin, yet we are considered a holy people and children of the Father.

Only Jesus can teach us the truth of scripture by His Spirit.

John 16:13
When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all truth.

1 John 1:26
But you are not like that, for the Holy One has given you his Spirit, and all of you know the truth.

Anyone who is in sin is not a believer in Jesus Christ. Believers have been washed clean of ALL their sin---past, present and future. therefore those who are not saved by grace and by faith in Jesus Christ are children of the devil, and are not citizens of the Kingdom of God.

John 8:42-44
[sup]42[/sup] Jesus told them, “If God were your Father, you would love me, because I have come to you from God. I am not here on my own, but he sent me. [sup]43[/sup] Why can’t you understand what I am saying? It’s because you can’t even hear me! [sup]44[/sup] For you are the children of your father the devil, and you love to do the evil things he does. He was a murderer from the beginning. He has always hated the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, it is consistent with his character; for he is a liar and the father of lies.

That is correct, sin is not accounted to us who walk with Jesus. A Christian is indeed dead to sin, yet you misunderstand, thinking that we never sin again once we have come to Christ. You are placing a heavy burden on the necks of people with this false understanding. If you think we lose our salvation when we sin---and we do sin---even you---then you are in effect saying that God's grace is defective and that all we must do is never sin again and we will retain our righteousness. That is a lie. We are already righteous and holy in the eyes of God because of the blood of Jesus. He alone is our Saviour and not ourselves by our behaviour.

I am sorry you do not experience assurance of your salvation, but mine is assured by Jesus Himself who lives in me by His Spirit, the sealing of His promise in me, and because He says He will never leave me or forsake me.

Hebrews 13:5b
...For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”

Show me where in scripture that all one’s sins past, present, and future are forgiven.

John tells us one who sins has never seen God nor knows God, and I quoted that scripture to you. I asked you to explain how that fits into your theology. You have ignored that question, why is that?

Also I asked you if Jesus has ever taught you scripture, and all you did is quote a verse that says Jesus will teach us.

Do me a favor and tell me how Jesus teaches you, and tell me if Jesus has ever called you by name?

You are evading much of what I have asked you why is that?

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
When Jesus died on the cross, He took all sin upon Himself---ALL sin. Not just the sin of people who lived then, but all sin for all time. That means all the sin of everyone not even born yet, including you and me. That means all your sin and all mine---past, present and future. His blood is the most powerful substance in the universe.

What do you think it means that Jesus died once for all?

It is a common misinterpretation of scripture to believe that when we sin, we lose our salvation and must repent and be saved again, and again---and again. That is a false teaching that misconstrues GRACE. Paul is teaching us that those who CONTINUE in a lifestyle of sin do not know God.

Of course Jesus has taught me scripture (Are you also a poster with the user name, 'Giver'? This is his familiar mantra), as Jesus alone is our teacher by His Spirit. No one can know any truth except by Him.

Jesus knows and calls all His children by name, although He has once literally called me audibly by name.

I have answered everything that you have posed, but you are not satisfied with the truth.