Aunt's Husband Died

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So sorry Wrangler - that’s sounds like a horrible situation. We have disagreements within my family, mainly between two of my children. It breaks my heart at times, but I have to allow the Lord to bring things back together. I think sometimes on a human level we can want things to be okay and endeavour to control it- but it seldom works out because of being third party.
I remember after my mum died and my dad got back into his relationship with someone he had an affair with- he would just hand the phone to me or my children without warning in an attempt to get us to talk to this person. It is really difficult to deal with. Thankfully, in time she became a valued member of the family but he simply didn’t understand that some conversations need to happen when people are ready, the lady concerned also felt awkward.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So sorry Wrangler - that’s sounds like a horrible situation. We have disagreements within my family, mainly between two of my children. It breaks my heart at times, but I have to allow the Lord to bring things back together. I think sometimes on a human level we can want things to be okay and endeavour to control it- but it seldom works out because of being third party.
I remember after my mum died and my dad got back into his relationship with someone he had an affair with- he would just hand the phone to me or my children without warning in an attempt to get us to talk to this person. It is really difficult to deal with. Thankfully, in time she became a valued member of the family but he simply didn’t understand that some conversations need to happen when people are ready, the lady concerned also felt awkward.
Hence the term "emotional rape," forcing a situation the people involved know damn well the other is not consenting to.

In my case, my aunt confessed Friday night to asking this estranged family at the funeral if I called would they take the call. For some reason, my aunt thinks the burden is on me. One manipulative tactic was to say I should be the "bigger" person. I assure you the other person did wrong. I am being the bigger person by letting them come to terms with reconciliation.

If they don't, that's on them. If the other person cannot acknowledge how they acted to destroy the relationship, what kind of relationship could you possibly have with them?

When my wife talked to this person, she sensed no interest to connect. That's why my wife thought the issue was closed.

I now believe there is a lot of demonic influence in my family dynamics, which is partly the reason I got the message to stay away. No good can come from surrounding oneself with those demon influenced. I asked my wife when she talked:
  1. Did the person seem joyful to hear your voice?
  2. Did they express sincere regret of the time lost in not connecting?
  3. Did they express hope that they will connect soon in the future?
No to all questions. I observed they are very careful not to say anything that could be taken in a positive way. What is my aunt fighting for me to reconnect with? A being who does not care about me one little bit. A being who has a long track record of hurting me and has given every indication of not changing from that path. No thank you auntie.

Reactions: Nancy

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
EMOTIONAL RAPE. That is the best way to describe the overbearing dynamics in my family.

After sharing notes with my wife, we concluded my aunt made 6 attempts to get me to do something I said no to at the start and every time it came up. Without going into details, it involved me reaching out to an estranged family member.

The 1st time the subject came up, it was at a low emotional level. I casually said that I came out here to help you during this time, not deal with family dysfunction. My wife and I believed numerous times the issue was closed.

The 2nd time the subject came up was through my cousin. At his house, my aunt called him to tell me that I could call this family member. What is it about this indirect communication? My cousin mused, “as if she does not have Wrangler’s phone number.”

The 3rd time this came up was when I returned late Friday to my aunts from her son’s house. This was explosive. She used religion against me and hurled more insults than I can recall. Calmly re-iterating my decision to not reach out to this estranged family member, I explained my reasons.

Immediately, my aunt did a lap on the subject. This time, I calmly re-iterated my decision AND said I’m not going to give you the reason, just respect my decision. Realizing she was emotionally out of control, I walked away from the kitchen table. As I walked away to keep the peace, she mocked me, specifically on religion.

I’m not sure why she got this in her head at this time, dealing with her husband’s death and the need to sell the house, I suspected it’d be better if I got an uber in the morning and went to the airport early. This way, I’ll prevent hours of harassment and ongoing emotional rape.

The 4th time the subject came up was early Saturday morning. My wife and I were in bed when my aunt knocked on the door and came in to apologize for her tirade the previous night. I said it takes one to forgive but 2 to reconcile. I did forgive this family member but there is no signs of conciliatory intention. My aunt accepted this as true.

So, I thought maybe I can keep my plans of staying until midafternoon. I believe the next part is divine providence.

The 5th time this came up was when I went to get some coffee. My wife did not tell me until later, but my aunt handed my wife the phone with no introduction to this family member. Imagine being this family member? You get a call from my aunt only to hear my wife’s voice – who you never talked to before. AWKWARD.

The reason I suspect this was divine providence was had I known that my wife was used in this manipulative fashion, I likely would not react very Christ like. I probably would have lost my temper.

The 6th time this came up was as I came out of the shower. My aunt claimed this relative called while I was in the shower and wants to come over to see me but wants to know where my head is at.

Shocked, I went up stairs to get fully dressed. I returned and used the same expression. I told my aunt where my head was at – angrily re-iterating my constant response. She exploded in a vicious tirade, even worse than the previous night.

Her granddaughter was there and called my cousin. On the speaker phone, he asked her what was going on. He summarized, “So, you told Wrangler that he could call this estranged family member. He said he wouldn’t. Now, you can drop it and let it go, right?”

She said yes. They hung up but she continued to rip into me. I adopted my cousin’s language. 3 times I repeated that I said no and she can let it go. Finally, she did. It was like a switch turned off.

Not wanting the switch to turn back on and knowing I had hours before my flight, I accepted an offer by my cousin to stay at his house until it’s time to go to the airport. As my wife and I had a chance to reflect on all this yesterday, all I can say is wow! I think EMOTIONAL RAPE is the best way to describe the overbearing dynamics in my family, not unique to my aunt. No wonder I have not been back home in nearly 2 decades. Thoughts?

I think we must be related. Things are pretty calm under my own roof but, the rest of our family (on both sides)? Forget it. Not happy unless they're gutting somebody. I know relating like this doesn't heal the hurt, though, so I'm still listening and praying, my friend. :)

:hearteyes:

Reactions: Nancy and amadeus

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, I forgot to mention; I prayed relentlessly during this trip, more than I ever have in my life in so few days.

I kept getting the message from the Holy Spirit to not meet this estranged family member under any circumstances; they are not ready yet.

God will get us to praying one way or another, it seems. My shrink tried to tell me for years how toxic my wife's family is but we kept thinking 5th commandment (which we still don't regret). Mother-in-law died from COVID 3 years ago and Father-in-law has dementia so bad he tells the same stories over and over in one visit. He thinks we hate him—must be the new laptop and lawnmower we bought him - lol. We can't bear to visit him anymore. It's like he's not the same person and he was pretty rough around the edges before. Dementia tends to amplify stuff, they say. Of course, my wife is suffering the most.

Hang in there, Chum.

(Sorry I didn't see this earlier)

Reactions: amadeus

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think we must be related. Things are pretty calm under my own roof but, the rest of our family (on both sides)? Forget it. Not happy unless they're gutting somebody. I know relating like this doesn't heal the hurt, though, so I'm still listening and praying, my friend. :)

I need the prayers. Thanks!

My wife is pretty soft spoken. To see someone viciously scream at me repeatedly was a lot for her to take. Overwhelming, really. And it took us time to realize her high level manipulative tactics.

It helps to read posts that don't put pressure on me, such as why didn't I just give into my aunt, etc.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I need the prayers. Thanks!

My wife is pretty soft spoken. To see someone viciously scream at me repeatedly was a lot for her to take. Overwhelming, really. And it took us time to realize her high level manipulative tactics.

It helps to read posts that don't put pressure on me, such as why didn't I just give into my aunt, etc.

You gotta go with what the Spirit gives you. Especially if you're studious and prayerful. ;)

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Wrangler

I guess I don't have to tell you that forgiveness and serving as a doormat aren't the same thing.

Agreed! I shared with my wife last night that the main method of EMOTIONAL RAPE was their denying I even have thoughts and feelings. To get this on the table for discussion was huge. The basic lack of respect was profound and they never grew out of it.

They proceed as though I am just a robot with no will of my own, like hitting the side of a computer when it is on the fritz. The aggresive response to resistance constantly put the relationship in jeopardy.

This cousin said he could not recall a family holiday where someone did not throw a chair at another family member. The escalation of conflict to the point of violence was omnipresent by some family members. One absurd story after another.

• Love
Reactions: BarneyFife

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agreed! I shared with my wife last night that the main method of EMOTIONAL RAPE was their denying I even have thoughts and feelings. To get this on the table for discussion was huge. The basic lack of respect was profound and they never grew out of it.

They proceed as though I am just a robot with no will of my own, like hitting the side of a computer when it is on the fritz. The aggresive response to resistance constantly put the relationship in jeopardy.

This cousin said he could not recall a family holiday where someone did not throw a chair at another family member. The escalation of conflict to the point of violence was omnipresent by some family members. One absurd story after another.

"The LORD knows all about it."

That's something my grandmother used to tell me. I still get a lot of mileage out of it. She taught me how to forgive like Jesus does. It's much easier to do when you learn as a child and don't have so much practice doing it another way. I've told the story a few times but I don't who's read it and who hasn't.

I too often fail at it and, far too often, right here on CyB.

Reactions: amadeus

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hence the term "emotional rape," forcing a situation the people involved know damn well the other is not consenting to.

In my case, my aunt confessed Friday night to asking this estranged family at the funeral if I called would they take the call. For some reason, my aunt thinks the burden is on me. One manipulative tactic was to say I should be the "bigger" person. I assure you the other person did wrong. I am being the bigger person by letting them come to terms with reconciliation.

If they don't, that's on them. If the other person cannot acknowledge how they acted to destroy the relationship, what kind of relationship could you possibly have with them?

When my wife talked to this person, she sensed no interest to connect. That's why my wife thought the issue was closed.

I now believe there is a lot of demonic influence in my family dynamics, which is partly the reason I got the message to stay away. No good can come from surrounding oneself with those demon influenced. I asked my wife when she talked:
  1. Did the person seem joyful to hear your voice?
  2. Did they express sincere regret of the time lost in not connecting?
  3. Did they express hope that they will connect soon in the future?
No to all questions. I observed they are very careful not to say anything that could be taken in a positive way. What is my aunt fighting for me to reconnect with? A being who does not care about me one little bit. A being who has a long track record of hurting me and has given every indication of not changing from that path. No thank you auntie.

If someone does not admit their part then, it is as you said, it's on him now, ball's in his court. Did you say this person is a Christian?

"If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men."

We can bring a horse to water....
Romans 12:18

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If someone does not admit their part then, it is as you said, it's on him now, ball's in his court. Did you say this person is a Christian?

"If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men."

We can bring a horse to water....
Romans 12:18
My family were raised "bad Catholics," as I say. This means, in name only. Sure, they go to funerals, weddings, baptisms besides Xmas and Easter.

This estranged family member denies she is the victimizer, holding herself as the victim. That was the essence of the last voicemail to me 15 years ago. By playing the victim card, it is hoped to escape responsibility. 15 years later. No change.

My wife thought for years that I was the bad guy, keeping her from having this relationship. It was only when she heard the total apathy in this person's voice, forced by my aunt's manipulation, did she realize the emptiness there, the soul-less exchange with the void.

Live peaceably, in this case means apart. For what business does the light have with the dark?

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My family were raised "bad Catholics," as I say. This means, in name only. Sure, they go to funerals, weddings, baptisms besides Xmas and Easter.

This estranged family member denies she is the victimizer, holding herself as the victim. That was the essence of the last voicemail to me 15 years ago. By playing the victim card, it is hoped to escape responsibility. 15 years later. No change.

My wife thought for years that I was the bad guy, keeping her from having this relationship. It was only when she heard the total apathy in this person's voice, forced by my aunt's manipulation, did she realize the emptiness there, the soul-less exchange with the void.

Live peaceably, in this case means apart. For what business does the light have with the dark?
Then, shaking the dust off your feet seems quite in order. It's awesome that your wife now understands!
My family were also raised bad Catholic, lol...then my mom switched to a Lutheran church when I was about 12 or 13 years old.