Aunt's Husband Died

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A week after the funeral, I am traveling out of state to help my aunt prepare the house to be sold. I say this is her husband, which was technically my uncle but she married him after I was grown and living out of state. So, I only met him a few times.

Obviously, close to my aunt, this will be a physically and emotionally exhausting few days. If you feel it in your heart, I could use a prayer or 2.

Thanks!

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The family gathers for the funeral, then scatters.

Weeks later the grieving continues but no one is there to help pick up the pieces. After a long conversation with my cousin, there is family disunity about what to do with the house. My aunt does not want to move but she cannot take care of it herself anymore.

I told my cousin that I will offer whatever help I can in terms of house work and listening to a distraught widow in the depths of the worst time in all her life, where nothing makes sense. She is overwhelmed on every level. I pray the family will be more united when I leave than when I arrived and the house may be in better working order with the personal affects of the deceased put in its proper place.

I suspect I will be physically, emotionally and spiritually tested and exhausted before this is through. Will I bring honor to God in this moment of truth or disgrace upon myself for not being able to handle the fervor?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A week after the funeral, I am traveling out of state to help my aunt prepare the house to be sold. I say this is her husband, which was technically my uncle but she married him after I was grown and living out of state. So, I only met him a few times.

Obviously, close to my aunt, this will be a physically and emotionally exhausting few days. If you feel it in your heart, I could use a prayer or 2.

Thanks!
Praying for all of those feeling a loss from this.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Thanks!
:praying::praying:praying for strength and peace to be with you Wrangler. Take care of your aunt for sure. She needs your strength to hold her up.

Reactions: amadeus and Taken

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm very sorry for this loss and burden placed upon you Wrangler. Prayers now, for unity within the family, strength, courage and comfort for you all.
Not that your beloved Aunt is a burden...

Reactions: amadeus

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Thanks!
You got it

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Thanks!

I'm awfully sorry to hear about what you're headed into there, Wrang. Been through that a few times recently enough to empathize pretty well, I guess. I'll be praying for you and yours, my friend.

:hearteyes:

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
EMOTIONAL RAPE. That is the best way to describe the overbearing dynamics in my family.

After sharing notes with my wife, we concluded my aunt made 6 attempts to get me to do something I said no to at the start and every time it came up. Without going into details, it involved me reaching out to an estranged family member.

The 1st time the subject came up, it was at a low emotional level. I casually said that I came out here to help you during this time, not deal with family dysfunction. My wife and I believed numerous times the issue was closed.

The 2nd time the subject came up was through my cousin. At his house, my aunt called him to tell me that I could call this family member. What is it about this indirect communication? My cousin mused, “as if she does not have Wrangler’s phone number.”

The 3rd time this came up was when I returned late Friday to my aunts from her son’s house. This was explosive. She used religion against me and hurled more insults than I can recall. Calmly re-iterating my decision to not reach out to this estranged family member, I explained my reasons.

Immediately, my aunt did a lap on the subject. This time, I calmly re-iterated my decision AND said I’m not going to give you the reason, just respect my decision. Realizing she was emotionally out of control, I walked away from the kitchen table. As I walked away to keep the peace, she mocked me, specifically on religion.

I’m not sure why she got this in her head at this time, dealing with her husband’s death and the need to sell the house, I suspected it’d be better if I got an uber in the morning and went to the airport early. This way, I’ll prevent hours of harassment and ongoing emotional rape.

The 4th time the subject came up was early Saturday morning. My wife and I were in bed when my aunt knocked on the door and came in to apologize for her tirade the previous night. I said it takes one to forgive but 2 to reconcile. I did forgive this family member but there is no signs of conciliatory intention. My aunt accepted this as true.

So, I thought maybe I can keep my plans of staying until midafternoon. I believe the next part is divine providence.

The 5th time this came up was when I went to get some coffee. My wife did not tell me until later, but my aunt handed my wife the phone with no introduction to this family member. Imagine being this family member? You get a call from my aunt only to hear my wife’s voice – who you never talked to before. AWKWARD.

The reason I suspect this was divine providence was had I known that my wife was used in this manipulative fashion, I likely would not react very Christ like. I probably would have lost my temper.

The 6th time this came up was as I came out of the shower. My aunt claimed this relative called while I was in the shower and wants to come over to see me but wants to know where my head is at.

Shocked, I went up stairs to get fully dressed. I returned and used the same expression. I told my aunt where my head was at – angrily re-iterating my constant response. She exploded in a vicious tirade, even worse than the previous night.

Her granddaughter was there and called my cousin. On the speaker phone, he asked her what was going on. He summarized, “So, you told Wrangler that he could call this estranged family member. He said he wouldn’t. Now, you can drop it and let it go, right?”

She said yes. They hung up but she continued to rip into me. I adopted my cousin’s language. 3 times I repeated that I said no and she can let it go. Finally, she did. It was like a switch turned off.

Not wanting the switch to turn back on and knowing I had hours before my flight, I accepted an offer by my cousin to stay at his house until it’s time to go to the airport. As my wife and I had a chance to reflect on all this yesterday, all I can say is wow! I think EMOTIONAL RAPE is the best way to describe the overbearing dynamics in my family, not unique to my aunt. No wonder I have not been back home in nearly 2 decades. Thoughts?

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, I forgot to mention; I prayed relentlessly during this trip, more than I ever have in my life in so few days.

I kept getting the message from the Holy Spirit to not meet this estranged family member under any circumstances; they are not ready yet.

• Love
Reactions: BarneyFife

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Wrangler, I am sorry for all the estrangement. For a good 6-8 months now, my own family (all claiming Christianity) have become very estranged. One sister, whom I moved to be nearer her and my nieces and nephews have not spoken in months. My older brother only seems to call when he wants to vent about the very same things over and over and over, but the Lord forbid, I say anything about my issues so, I say nothing and nobody even cares to ask. They will just want to get off the phone with some lame excuse as they only want to hear themselves so...I call nobody anymore and I get the rare call from a different brother and, one niece more often.
This estrangement is new to my family and I can't stand it but, it has been forwarded to heaven:

F- Forward all things to heaven
A- All
I- Issues
T- To
H- Heaven

I pray all will turn out for the good brother.

Reactions: Debp and amadeus

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Wrangler, I am sorry for all the estrangement. For a good 6-8 months now, my own family (all claiming Christianity) have become very estranged. One sister, whom I moved to be nearer her and my nieces and nephews have not spoken in months. My older brother only seems to call when he wants to vent about the very same things over and over and over, but the Lord forbid, I say anything about my issues so, I say nothing and nobody even cares to ask. They will just want to get off the phone with some lame excuse as they only want to hear themselves so...I call nobody anymore and I get the rare call from a different brother and, one niece more often.
Sounds like you got yourself a one-way-ship.

Sunday's sermon was about pruning; the need to jettison things in ones life to make room for better things and to grow.

Reactions: Nancy