Bank Loans and Penal Substitution

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ScottAU

Feb 27, 2013
Let's say John owes the bank $8000 for a car.

John's mate Frank receives an inheritance and makes a decision to repay John's debt to the bank on his behalf.

Frank then goes to the bank and pays the debt in full whereby the balance John now owes is zero.

Question

Did the bank forgive John's debt?

Answer

Of course not. The debt was paid in full by Frank.

Now let's say I was to attend seminary and come back and tell the exact same story and go on to ask the exact same question. Would the fact that I attended seminary change the answer?

If not then why do the theologians of our day teach that Jesus "paid the penalty due for our sins" whilst at the same time also teach that "God forgives sins"?

Both cannot be true.

This one root fallacy proves beyond any shadow of a doubt that Penal Substitition is an illogical and absurd teaching. One must throw reason out the window in order to believe that God both forgives sins while punishing them.

Mat 18:23 Therefore is the kingdom of heaven likened unto a certain king, which would take account of his servants.
Mat 18:24 And when he had begun to reckon, one was brought unto him, which owed him ten thousand talents.
Mat 18:25 But forasmuch as he had not to pay, his lord commanded him to be sold, and his wife, and children, and all that he had, and payment to be made.
Mat 18:26 The servant therefore fell down, and worshipped him, saying, Lord, have patience with me, and I will pay thee all.
Mat 18:27 Then the lord of that servant was moved with compassion, and loosed him, and forgave him the debt.
Mat 18:28 But the same servant went out, and found one of his fellowservants, which owed him an hundred pence: and he laid hands on him, and took him by the throat, saying, Pay me that thou owest.
Mat 18:29 And his fellowservant fell down at his feet, and besought him, saying, Have patience with me, and I will pay thee all.
Mat 18:30 And he would not: but went and cast him into prison, till he should pay the debt.
Mat 18:31 So when his fellowservants saw what was done, they were very sorry, and came and told unto their lord all that was done.
Mat 18:32 Then his lord, after that he had called him, said unto him, O thou wicked servant, I forgave thee all that debt, because thou desiredst me:
Mat 18:33 Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellowservant, even as I had pity on thee?
Mat 18:34 And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him.
Mat 18:35 So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
The premise of your argument is flawed because there are significant differences between economic and social debt. Economic debt just involves numbers. Social debt is judicial in nature.

For example, a person is convicted for murder and is sentenced to death to pay the debt due society. Later another man confesses to the crime on his death bed, provides evidence and dies. A judge examines the evidence and determines that 1) an innocent man is in jail, and 2) justice has been served by the death of the murderer. He recognizes that the debt to society has been paid by the death of the criminal. He then pardons the innocent man and frees him from prison.

We were held under bondage to sin awaiting death. Justice was served upon a vicarious sacrifice who took the judgment due us, thereby paying the debt due. We have been declared innocent and pardoned through the grace of GOD, and freed from bondage to sin.

This reasoning validates penal substitution and invalidates your raging against it.

Reactions: David in NJ

ScottAU

Feb 27, 2013
Are you being serious?

How exactly does this example of a falsely accused innocent being exonerated by the confession of the guilty party on their death bed apply to the death of Christ as it relates to the forgiveness of sins?

Is the sinner falsely accused? Is Jesus the guilty party finally coming clean?

That example has NOTHING in common with what the Bible teaches about the death of Christ.

God pardons the guily on the condition of repentance and faith.

Mar_1:4 John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.

Act_2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Luk_24:47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Heb 10:17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.
Heb 10:18 Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin.
Heb 10:19 Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus,
Heb 10:20 By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh;
Heb 10:21 And having an high priest over the house of God;
Heb 10:22 Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.

Rev_1:5 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,

Heb 9:14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

1Pe_1:2 Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.

1Pe 1:18 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers;
1Pe 1:19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:
1Pe 1:20 Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you,
1Pe 1:21 Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God.
1Pe 1:22 Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:

The blood of Jesus Christ has absolutely NOTHING to do with Jesus taking the "judgment due us." Where does the Bible teach such a thing?

The Bible clearly teaches that Jesus RANSOMED ALL with His blood (1Tim 2:6). Jesus was the only one who could do it (Psalm 49:7) for He was without spot (Heb 9:14) and thus he PURCHASED US WITHOUT MONEY (Isa 52:3). It is by His blood that we are CLEANSED AND PURGED FROM ALL SIN (1Joh 1:7. 2Pet 1:9).

Yet where does the Bible teach Penal Substitution? I don't see it anywhere.

Why wasn't Penal Substitition taught prior to 400 years ago?

You haven't provided anything which supports your premise save for some irrelavent example and self proclaimed assertions. If Penal Substitition is true then it should stand up to scrutiny shouldn't it?

Penal Substitition is not true and that is why it collapses when examined. Penal Substitition offers sinners a false hope that they can be forgiven whilst they are still in rebellion because it provides the notion of a CLOAK for ONGOING INIQUITY.

It is a masterful deceit of Satan. Instead of people being purified via repentance and faith whereby they approach God via the blood of Christ and are washed clean that they may serve God acceptably, it leads people to "trust in a provision" which is believed to cloak an ongoing state of iniquity.

So instead of this...

Tit 2:14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

They believe something along the lines of...

"Who gave himself for us, that he might CLOAK our iniquity whereby God will PRETEND that we are pure whilst we are still filthy." Thus salvation is treated as purely POSITIONAL whereby those under the deception believe one who is saved can do these things...

1Co 6:9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
1Co 6:10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

...and still inherit the kingdom.

I listed the parable of the unforgiving servant above which CLEARLY contradicts the notion that the "penalty due for sin" was paid and thus "cannot be made due again." The unforgiving servant was FREELY forgiven yet when he was not forgiving to his fellow servant the forgiveness he had previously received was relinquished.

That is Jesus Christ Himself teaching that parable.

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
ScottAU said:
Are you being serious?
How exactly does this example of a falsely accused innocent being exonerated by the confession of the guilty party on their death bed apply to the death of Christ as it relates to the forgiveness of sins?
Is the sinner falsely accused? Is Jesus the guilty party finally coming clean?
That example has NOTHING in common with what the Bible teaches about the death of Christ.
Yeah very serious. The exchange of guilt and innocence occurred through the blood covenant that Jesus cut with Israel in the persons of the 11 disciples. In a blood covenant everything that one party possesses becomes the other party's, and vice versa. Spiritually speaking, the disciples guilt was imputed to Christ, and his righteousness was imputed to them. Jesus became the defacto guilty party via the covenant, and subsequently paid the debt. In essence, GOD cut a covenant with man to free him from his sins.

This [is] my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins. Romans 11:27

This is my blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many into remission of sins (i.e., freedom from sins). Matthew 26:28

The sign of the new covenant is the circumcision of the heart. All who are baptized into Christ are circumcised in the heart, which marks their entrance into the new covenant and its freedom from their sins.

Blood covenant:
http://www.christianityboard.com/topic/18434-predestined-for-glorification/#entry199657

• Love
Reactions: David in NJ

ScottAU

Feb 27, 2013
Let's look at your claims...

First the other post you referenced...

The blood covenant instituted an exchange in which everything Jesus has was imputed to us (righteousness); everything we have was imputed to him (sin).

All things [are] of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation; To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them (but imputing them to Christ); and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation. 2 Corinthians 5:18-19

But for us also, to whom [righteousness] shall be imputed (while our sins were imputed to Christ), if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead; Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification. Romans 4:24-25

The Greek words translated reconciliation above means an exchange.

Reconciliation
G2643 καταλλαγή katallage
1. an exchange
The first thing I notice is that you give an incomplete definition of Reconciliation. You snip "an exchange" from the entire definition.

Reconciliation - G2643 - katallagē - G2643
From G2644; exchange (figuratively adjustment), that is, restoration to (the divine) favor: - atonement, reconciliation (-ing).

These two verses you quoted say NOTHING about Jesus abosribing the wrath of God in your place.

2Co 5:18 And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;
2Co 5:19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.

Nor do those two verses say anything about the "righteousness of Christ" being credited to your account.

It is YOU sayng this "everything Jesus has was imputed to us (righteousness); everything we have was imputed to him (sin)," NOT THE BIBLE.

God reconciles us to Himself by Jesus Christ in that we ABIDE IN HIM. Look at what Paul writes here...

Col 1:20 And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.
Col 1:21 And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled
Col 1:22 In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight:
Col 1:23 If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;

Rom 5:9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.

Heb 10:19 Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus,
Heb 10:20 By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh;
Heb 10:22 Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.

Read the above verses. The blood of Christ HAS NOTHING to do with a penal exchange. We enter into the holy of holies by the blood of Christ, drawing near to God with a TRUE HEART (completely honest about our rebellion) seeking mercy.
Rom 5:10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son (via the blood), much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life (abiding in the Spirit of life in Christ).

Look why Jesus came...
Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
Rom 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
Rom 8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
Rom 8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Jesus condemned sin by coming IN FLESH and overcoming it. He did this so that we might abide in the same Spirit He abided in that true righteousness be fulfilled IN US. Again it has NOTHING to do with a penal exchange. That is a 400 year old doctrine invented by the Protestant Reformers when they added a judicial aspect to Anselm's 11th Century Satisfaction Model. LOOK IT UP!

You also quote Romans 4:24-25 which says this...

Rom 4:24 But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead;
Rom 4:25 Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification.

Yet the context of that passage is this...

Rom 4:19 And being not weak in faith, he considered not his own body now dead, when he was about an hundred years old, neither yet the deadness of Sara's womb:
Rom 4:20 He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God;
Rom 4:21 And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform.
Rom 4:22 And therefore it was imputed to him for righteousness.
Rom 4:23 Now it was not written for his sake alone, that it was imputed to him;

What was imputed to Abraham for righteousness? HIS FAITH!
Rom 4:5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

This notion that the "righteousness of Christ" is credited to your account is HERESY. The Bible does not teach anywhere that the "righteousness of Christ" is credited to your account. The Bible says FAITH is imputed for righteousness, NOT "the righteousness of Christ."

Is it not better to believe what the Bible actually teaches instead of what the multitudes of celebrity talking heads teach?

You cannot quote a single scripture which states that the "righteousness of Christ" is credited to the believers account.

God reckons FAITH as righteousness because FAITH OBEYS, FAITH WALKS, FAITH YIELDS and FAITH WORKS BY LOVE. In other words God looks at the heart and if He sees one has submitted themselves to the will of God in truth then God reckons that individual as righteous despite their former rebellion.

This "imputed righteousness of Christ" is a SIN CLOAK DOCTRINE. Instead of righteousness being MANIFEST in a child of God (1Joh 3:10) it is PRETENDED via a forensic book keeping entry. Pure unadulterated nonsense.

Look at this...

Rom 4:12 And the father of circumcision to them who are not of the circumcision only, but who also walk in the steps of that faith of our father Abraham, which he had being yet uncircumcised.
Rom 4:13 For the promise, that he should be the heir of the world, was not to Abraham, or to his seed, through the law, but through the righteousness of faith.

True righteousness is resultant in one yielding themselves to the grace of God. Hence righteousness is not of the law (following rules and regulations) but of the Spirit. Again I quote...

Rom 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
Rom 8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
Rom 8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

You then quote Romans 11:27...

Rom 11:27 For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.

How does Jesus take away our sins? Via the blood...

Heb 9:14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

1Jn 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

Heb 10:17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.
Heb 10:18 Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin.

You also quote Mat 26:28 which says...

Mat 26:28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Absolutely true. The remission of sins is via the blood of Christ when we approach God in repentance and faith with a TRUE HEART seeking His mercy.

Not a single verse you quoted says ANYTHING AT ALL about Jesus being a "wrath absorbing substitute for the sinner." Jesus offered Himself WITHOUT SPOT. Jesus did not offer Himself WITH OUR SPOTS.

He bore our sins, he was not declared guilty and punished by God. Men "esteemed Him stricken of God," God DID NOT pour out His wrath on Jesus.

God does not punish an innocent in order to excuse the guilty. God accepted a "sin offering" made on behalf of the guilty by which the sins of the guilty are remiitted on the condition of repentance and faith.

Sandalya

Feb 9, 2023
phenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
When it comes to John's debt being paid by Frank, it's clear that the debt was settled and no longer owed by John. But it's a little different when it comes to forgiveness of sins. The idea of Penal Substitution suggests that Jesus' death on the cross paid the penalty for our sins, but it's also taught that God forgives sins. It's a complex concept and difficult to understand, but it's important to remember that religion and spirituality aren't always meant to be fully comprehended by the human mind.
If you're still struggling with this idea, I suggest reaching out to a local clergy member or religious leader for further explanation and guidance. And if you're ever in Leeds and looking for help with a mortgage, don't hesitate to reach out to Mortgage Advice Leeds!

Last edited:

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

John's mate Frank receives an inheritance and makes a decision to repay John's debt to the bank on his behalf.

Frank then goes to the bank and pays the debt in full whereby the balance John now owes is zero.

Question

Answer

Now let's say I was to attend seminary and come back and tell the exact same story and go on to ask the exact same question. Would the fact that I attended seminary change the answer?

If not then why do the theologians of our day teach that Jesus "paid the penalty due for our sins" whilst at the same time also teach that "God forgives sins"?

Both cannot be true.

This one root fallacy proves beyond any shadow of a doubt that Penal Substitition is an illogical and absurd teaching. One must throw reason out the window in order to believe that God both forgives sins while punishing them.

Mat 18:23 Therefore is the kingdom of heaven likened unto a certain king, which would take account of his servants.
Mat 18:24 And when he had begun to reckon, one was brought unto him, which owed him ten thousand talents.
Mat 18:25 But forasmuch as he had not to pay, his lord commanded him to be sold, and his wife, and children, and all that he had, and payment to be made.
Mat 18:26 The servant therefore fell down, and worshipped him, saying, Lord, have patience with me, and I will pay thee all.
Mat 18:27 Then the lord of that servant was moved with compassion, and loosed him, and forgave him the debt.
Mat 18:28 But the same servant went out, and found one of his fellowservants, which owed him an hundred pence: and he laid hands on him, and took him by the throat, saying, Pay me that thou owest.
Mat 18:29 And his fellowservant fell down at his feet, and besought him, saying, Have patience with me, and I will pay thee all.
Mat 18:30 And he would not: but went and cast him into prison, till he should pay the debt.
Mat 18:31 So when his fellowservants saw what was done, they were very sorry, and came and told unto their lord all that was done.
Mat 18:32 Then his lord, after that he had called him, said unto him, O thou wicked servant, I forgave thee all that debt, because thou desiredst me:
Mat 18:33 Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellowservant, even as I had pity on thee?
Mat 18:34 And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him.
Mat 18:35 So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.

According to Scripture, Christ is the propitiation for ALL sin!

1 John 2:2 (KJV) And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

While it is abundantly true that Christ gave His life to pay the penalty for ALL sin, it is also abundantly clear that He is the Savior for only ALL WHO BELIEVE. The sins of people throughout the whole world shall be acquitted for any who believe Christ, OR the sins of people throughout the whole world found written in the books at the white throne judgment shall be cast with the sinner into the lake of fire that is the second death.

John 3:15 (KJV) That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

Revelation 20:12-15 (KJV) And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

In this manner all sin is done away IN CHRIST ALONE!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: GRACE ambassador

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That shows what happens when trying to interpret God's grace through His Son's Blood shed upon the cross via a lawyer mentality.

Rom 3:24-25
24 Being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in His blood, to declare His righteousness
for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;
KJV

Jesus died on the cross for the remission of sins "that are past" for those who believe? Uh oh, how is it most think ALL... their future sins were forgiven by that too?

In 1 John 1, John reveals that we STILL NEED TO REPENT TO CHRIST OF FUTURE SIN. And that if we say we have no sin, we make Jesus a liar. So repentance is still... required of us when we slip up and sin, for we will continue to have this battle within our flesh vs. our spirit until the day we die, or the day of Christ's coming.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Question

Answer

Both cannot be true.

Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth on him should not perish, but have eternal life.

Ro 5:12 Therefore, as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin; and so death passed unto all men

Mt 6:9 .. .Our Father who art in heaven, . . . forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.

Do you understand the significance of this account Scott?: (Genesis 22:1, 2) . . .the true God put Abraham to the test, and he said to him: “Abraham!” to which he replied: “Here I am!” 2 Then he said: “Take, please, your son, your only son whom you so love, Isaac, and travel to the land of Mo·riʹah and offer him up there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains that I will designate to you.”

Both are involved in forgiveness of sins sir. But God would violate His own law to forgive without the ransom provided. Godly justice requires equal sacrifice to balance His laws. Like in your illustration, the debt was paid, as it was to appease the debt Adam left.