Baptisim

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods
1Cor.

Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius;

Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name.

And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other.

For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
This context of 1 Corinthians 1 proves the necessity of water baptism, see my post #9 above.

There was division at the congregation in Corinth.....instead of them all being OF Christ some were OF Paul, some OF Apollos and some OF Cephas. To heal this division, Paul asks a rhetorical question in verse 13:

"Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?"

This question stated in the positive has Paul saying:

"Christ is not divided! Christ was crucified for you. You were baptized in the name of Christ."

Paul's point being this...... if you are going to be OF someone then two things must be true of that someone, that someone must:
1) be crucified for you
and
2) you must be baptized in that someone's name.

Of course these two things are only true of Christ therefore no one can be OF Paul or OF Apollos or OF any man.

1) was Christ crucified for you? Yes, Hebrews 2:9 Christ tasted death for every man. Yet every man will not be saved because every man will not meet requirement #2.

2) requirement #2: have you been baptized in the name of Christ? This baptism in the name of Christ is the same baptism of Acts of the Apostles 2:38 and Acts of the Apostles 10:47-48 which is water baptism in the name of the Lord for remission of sins. The phrase "in the name of" is a legal term. If you buy an automobile you go and register the car "in the name of Grams". It shows you are the owner of the vehucle. Those who have been baptized "in the name of the Lord" come under the Lord's ownership, those baptized belong to the Lord, they are His.

Again, Paul shows BOTH #1 AND #2 must be true for one to be OF Christ.

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.